Ratchet & Clank/Jak & Daxter Trilogy - PS Vita

Mole17

Hi. I missed the boat on the above mentioned games but my question is are these 6 games ok to play on Vita? Do they run well?

I am currently working my way through the Sly Cooper Trilogy on Vita (3rd game at the time of typing) and so far so good. I’d like to go for the platinum too on all titles.

Or, would I be better playing R&C on PS3 and Jak & Daxter on PS5 (PS4 release) 

I’m new to the Vita so quite like the ‘neat’-ness of playing on the handheld but if the ports are a mess then I’ll go with the console. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, any other games you can recommend are welcome. Thanks :)

eaperently 1 of the ratchet and clank game has a game breaking bug  and if you get it or not is random I think it was the 2nd game

jak and daxter and realy terrible on vita but are doible at least 1 and 2 altough in 2 to clean it up I did use the debug mebu.

and gl the sly games run fine but i was never able to plat sly 3  due to the final boss challange

the hooking on just never works correctly  and since you have to do it in a short time I was never able to

• Like 1

8 hours ago, visvoer18 said:

eaperently 1 of the ratchet and clank game has a game breaking bug  and if you get it or not is random I think it was the 2nd game

This. Although I wasn’t under the impression it was random, but always happens. Physical version only. Digital copies are fine, which is why guy above likely had no issue.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

could be that its always I thought it was but since the mod said it wasn fine I started to doubt myself 

pretty sure its always though

that it would be the digital only version is new to me though

wouldnt be an issue for me since the only downloadable games I own are freebies:P

physicla all the way

and since ps4 games need so many patches  I dont collect ps4 games so I cna spent all my money in vita and ps3 altough with vita I already own everything thaqt can be played in english:P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adamska_br said:

Can vouch for the R&C trilogy on PS Vita, and all three games can be platinumed with no issue, did so myself recently, so the above poster is being nuts.

Ok... Was this a physical copy or digital? Chat seems to be split.

30 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

This. Although I wasn’t under the impression it was random, but always happens. Digital version only. Physical copies are fine, which is why guy above likely had no issue.

I thought the digital version was the one without the game breaking bugs? At least that’s what I gathered from reading this thread.

Inferior graphics and a lot of missing content aside, Sly Cooper trilogy [PSVita] runs mostly well, enough to recommend performance wise even though PS3 version is the better overall version.

Jak and Daxter trilogy [PSVita], however, was optimized poorly. It's objectively the poorest running versions of the series to date. It's not unplayable, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you overclock.

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 1

Jak and Daxter on Vita has a bad reputation, and for good reasons - the performance is among the worst on the system. You'll be looking at 15-20 FPS for all games in the trilogy, with 2 being the worst offender. Personally, I got through all three games without hating the experience (didn't go for platinums, though), but I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to this kind of thing. If you aren't, I'd definitely suggest avoiding Jak and Daxter on Vita.

Ratchet and Clank is somewhere between Sly and Jak, performance-wise. No major problems, as far as I can remember, but you're definitely not looking at a silky smooth frame rate. And the visuals are generally downgraded in ways that Sly managed to avoid.

If you're looking for other PS2 remasters on Vita, God of War 1 & 2 gets my recommendation. Extremely impressive on Vita. Enemy count is slightly reduced, and the graphics take a small hit, but otherwise they're both just as good as the PS2 originals.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

This. Although I wasn’t under the impression it was random, but always happens. Digital version only. Physical copies are fine, which is why guy above likely had no issue.

No, it is the physical version which has a bug causing crashes whenever you switch planets. Apparently the game can still be platted, but it’s very annoying to deal with all the crashes. The physical version was only released in EU and canned in US due to the bug. The digital versions are fine.

• Like 3

I completed the digital versions of all 3 Jak games and all 3 R&C games on the vita and was able to platinum all 6. As I recall it was the hub city in Jak 2 that ran rather poorly. There is also a hoverboard trophy that is really annoying to unlock in R&C1 as it requires doing a certain trick in which you need to press the L2 and R2 buttons, which are in small locations on the back touchpad of the Vita.

Jak & Daxter Trilogy on the PS3 (and vita) is a remaster, whereas the PS4 version are up-res ports of the PS2 versions, so if you opt to go the PS3 route for R&C you might be better off going that route for J&D as well as they will paradoxically look and run better on the PS3.

The vita is a nice system, unfortunately they have mostly dropped support for it as you can no longer buy games from the webstore, only the in-console store app, and they don't have sales anymore unless something is crossbuy with the PS4 version. I bought almost all my games for it digitally so I wouldn't have to mess with the tiny cartridges. A lot of the great vita games either eventually released on PS4 or simultaneously released on PS3. Below are a few I played and enjoyed which are not available on any other Sony consoles:

Dokuro is a great puzzle platformer and looks like it was permanently discounted to $3 on PSN which is a steal. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7073DGN4o4

Severed is also good and its touchscreen combat actually works quite well. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG5FyiK6Zm8

Uncharted: Golden Abyss is a somewhat lesser Uncharted game, but still enjoyable and plays well on the vita. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHDezyb6vhk

Edited by Guardian_owl
  • Like 1

Ok so by the sounds of it all I did well to start Sly first but it’s a shame the other games didn’t get properly patched before Sony decided to abandon ship.

Maybe I’ll opt for the console versions just to be on the safer side which is a little unfortunate because this console is pretty cool. Hope the powers that be release a 3rd handheld somewhere along the road, I know it’s unlikely but we can all hope.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GraniteSnake said:

I thought the digital version was the one without the game breaking bugs? At least that’s what I gathered from reading this thread.

Indeed It says in that link the physical version is bugged, my error in typing, edited, thanks.

7 hours ago, diskdocx said:

No, it is the physical version which has a bug causing crashes whenever you switch planets. Apparently the game can still be platted, but it’s very annoying to deal with all the crashes. The physical version was only released in EU and canned in US due to the bug. The digital versions are fine.

Thanks for the clarification. Stupid mistake on my part as I had the physical version! Edited.

Edited by thefourfoldroot
  • Like 2