TheManlyMandril

Best way to buy the DLCs

13 posts in this topic

I bought the base game as it is on discount right now. However, the vast amount of DLCs for this game confuses me. There are two season passes (New frontier pass and expansion bundle). Then there are some free DLCs (Nubia, Khmer and Indonesia) and some other civilization packs from (€5 - €9)... What is the cheapest way to get access to the DLCs for the trophies?

You're better off either waiting for a deep sale on the Premium items or until some kind of Complete Edition is released, because the DLCs are a major rip-off at the moment.

16 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

You're better off either waiting for a deep sale on the Premium items or until some kind of Complete Edition is released, because the DLCs are a major rip-off at the moment.

I see.. is it worth playing the game without any DLCs before buying them then? It looks like Rise & Fall and Gathering Storm change so many mechanics...

47 minutes ago, TheManlyMandril said:

I see.. is it worth playing the game without any DLCs before buying them then? It looks like Rise & Fall and Gathering Storm change so many mechanics...

Playing in Vanilla first could almost be recommended - you'll be able to get a hang of how the game works before throwing new gameplay systems into the mix. Even without the DLCs, there are still lots of civilizations and a fair number of scenarios.

Heads up peeps. There is a new Anthology upgrade that includes all of the paid DLC to this point for $49.99 USD. Looks like what we have been waiting for has finally arrived. 

Also, there are a couple of new editions as well for those who have yet to buy the base game.

Still too pricey for me so will wait for a sale.

Posted (edited)

Anthology Edition Upgrade is currently $24.99. $27.99 for the Anthology Edition (includes the base game, for those who don't already have it.)

Edited by Thermopyle2

Trophy-wise, if you get the Platinum edition, what DLCs are missing? The notes only speak of "6 DLC packs" along with Rise and Fall and Gathering Storm, but I'm really confused as to what civilizations are located where and my Google skills are failing me.

On 31/08/2021 at 5:20 PM, Thermopyle2 said:

Anthology Edition Upgrade is currently $24.99. $27.99 for the Anthology Edition (includes the base game, for those who don't already have it.)

I just bought this. The game has been on my to buy list forever but the DLC was just eye wateringly expensive and coming down so slowly. All that DLC and the base game for £25 is pretty good I think

1 hour ago, visighost said:

Trophy-wise, if you get the Platinum edition, what DLCs are missing? The notes only speak of "6 DLC packs" along with Rise and Fall and Gathering Storm, but I'm really confused as to what civilizations are located where and my Google skills are failing me.

From what I'm finding on Google, Platinum lacks the New Frontier Pass, details of which are here: https://civilization.com/new-frontier-pass/

Looking over that list, you need it for DLC packs 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, and 11. Frontier pass is normally $40 but is currently $20 in the sale, so Anthology seems like the way to go for anybody that doesn't already own Platinum.

Edited by Thermopyle2

1 hour ago, Cleggworth said:

I just bought this. The game has been on my to buy list forever but the DLC was just eye wateringly expensive and coming down so slowly. All that DLC and the base game for £25 is pretty good I think

No bugged ones I hope? Thinking about getting anthology edition. 

On 9/1/2021 at 9:41 PM, Thermopyle2 said:

From what I'm finding on Google, Platinum lacks the New Frontier Pass, details of which are here: https://civilization.com/new-frontier-pass/

Looking over that list, you need it for DLC packs 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, and 11. Frontier pass is normally $40 but is currently $20 in the sale, so Anthology seems like the way to go for anybody that doesn't already own Platinum.

Thanks man . i added the platinum edition to cart but now I'll change it to anthology edition thanks to your clarification : )

I just got the Anthology upgrade by the hair of my chiny chin chin. I saw it on sale last night and snagged it before it could slip through my fingers. So happy I checked on a whim last night.