What’s the game that perfectly defines your type of game?

Carol

I think I’d have to choose Ark or Stardew Valley.

I’m think I’m following what you wanted. Neither are my fave game of all time, (that goes to Elder Scrolls 2 Daggerfall.) But, I love Harvest Moon/Story of seasons games, and I love survival games.

I’d say that Ark is probably the survival game that has the best mix of all the survival elements I love. 

Same thing for Stardew Valley, it has a vast array of the other gameplay elements I love from similar games in the genre. 

They may not be my favourite games of this type, but games of these types each have different gameplay mechanics. 

So, like survival games. Some have taming, some don’t. Some have pvp, some don’t. Ark is just the one that encompasses the most of these elements that I enjoy, into one game.

Edited by GizMo_The_Great
  • Like 3

I would have to say God of War, especially the first game but the series as a whole would apply. I love the Greek mythology and ancient settings and it's always sucked me in more than most games with modern/futuristic settings.

The gameplay itself just gives you a bit of everything from combat to platforming and puzzles. I like games that offer that kind of variety.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Strelok_CH said:

Possibly s.t.a.l.k.e.r. something quite similar is metro 2033. the setting and all that I quite like

agreed im hoping i don't have to buy an xbox just to play stalker 2.

for me it's metro, stalker resident evil, dead space and half life, ac origins, subnautica, amnesia.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84
  • Like 2

Umm I think Subnautica (and The Forest, can’t choose). There is adventure, there is challenge to survive, there is freedom but also an objective, there is exploration, freedom to build and to both of these games I felt fear, there was a thrill and curiosity to keep going. I loved both environments of these games, just the feel of it.

• Like 2

If you happen to run into me before this should come as no surprise... It's Yakuza..Why you ask?

- I'm always a sucker for good stories and they never fail to deliver

- TONS of side content in the form of sidequests (substories) and distractions (e.g. minigames) that isn't just copy-pasted and half-assed Ubisoft-style. You can tell it was crafted with care.

- Lots of comedic relief peppered in to offset the serious crime drama story. Who doesn't like a good laugh? 

- Classic brawler combat (at least before Yakuza LAD anyway) that is just easy to pick up on the fly and looks cool while doing it.

- Always a blast exploring the cities in the game even if they're reused multiple times across the iterations. There's always something new to mitigate the feeling of "been there, done that."

Summary: solid story, tons of unique side activities to do, easy to pick-up but effective combat, lots of comedic scenarios.

• Like 1

Hard to pick one, I've become very versatile about vgame proposals, I basically try everything now.

But fun is definitely the key factor to feel the game as a full experience, if developer mix following things making the game actually fun and not a chore or feeling it endless and you have a winner.

It's obvious I like prince of persia Sot, great story, cool character, combat not the greatest but serviceable, nice soundtrack, so, nice package.

Batman arkham city, besides the great lore, nice combat system, going from methodical approach to enemies in regular play to be a beast (to be batman) during new game plus. (Obviously it is great that the game is not long and you don't need to collect anything else) Amazing experience.

Children of Morta, it has something I love, you really have to use what the game offers. It was built in that way. You needing to swap characters because they get "tired" and there are perks that benefit the whole party was fantastic. I hate when you have a bunch of stuff, suddenly you try one that is overpowered and that is all, you don't use anything else ever again.

Edit: also, as mentioned by Sofaking, original GOW, because i like greek mythology, main reason why i bought AC odyssey a few weeks ago.

Edited by GoldenShaka
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

agreed im hoping i don't have to buy an xbox just to play stalker 2.

for me it's metro, stalker resident evil, dead space and half life, ac origins, subnautica, amnesia.

Dead space of course , amazing Game. I also don't forget Deus Ex (2000)

• Like 1

For me it's the Yakuza games (before 7).

- They're action-adventure games with good in-depth stories.

- The characters and settings aren't fantasy-based (I prefer human characters based in a realistic town/city). I also tend to gravitate towards yakuza/mafia/police etc settings and away from fantasy or war/miitary settings.

- They're not too action-focused. I don't like action films like Die Hard etc so I don't like games that play like them either.

- The combat is focused on fists rather than guns.

- There are a ton of sidequests which are fun to play, and manage to strike a good balance between not taking itself too seriously, but somehow not feeling out of place.

- There's a very wide range of other content via minigames.

- They keep the more challenging aspects out of the main story. I know a lot of people say a game is more immersive when you can fail and have to be careful, but for me, it just pulls me out of the story when I die and have to repeat something. I'd much rather do everything first or second try in main story and then have some optional side quest that takes 50 tries, than have to repeat a section 10 times in the main story because I can't progress without doing so.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, StacFace92 said:

For me it's the Yakuza games (before 7).

- They're action-adventure games with good in-depth stories.

- The characters and settings aren't fantasy-based (I prefer human characters based in a realistic town/city). I also tend to gravitate towards yakuza/mafia/police etc settings and away from fantasy or war/miitary settings.

- They're not too action-focused. I don't like action films like Die Hard etc so I don't like games that play like them either.

- The combat is focused on fists rather than guns.

- There are a ton of sidequests which are fun to play, and manage to strike a good balance between not taking itself too seriously, but somehow not feeling out of place.

- There's a very wide range of other content via minigames.

- They keep the more challenging aspects out of the main story. I know a lot of people say a game is more immersive when you can fail and have to be careful, but for me, it just pulls me out of the story when I die and have to repeat something. I'd much rather do everything first or second try in main story and then have some optional side quest that takes 50 tries, than have to repeat a section 10 times in the main story because I can't progress without doing so.

oh man, 7 is so good

• Like 1

TESO and GTA5. Enjoy the MMO and NPC battles.  I can either play solo or join my guild or friends.  So a win-win type of situation.

Second fav would be side-scrollers, such as TeslaGrad and Hollow Knight.  I'd probably play these more if I was half way gud at them xD

Edited by PermaFox
  • Like 2

That's a really difficult question to answer. I LOVE typical Metroidvania-style gameplay elements. You see a door early in the game, but you can't open it yet. Later on you find a key with the same symbol the door had, so you'll backtrack to the door and voila. Heavily exploration-based gameplay is my jam. You can't really call Resident Evil 2 Remake a Metroidvania-game, but there are those specific type of exploration-gameplay elements similar to Metroidvania games. To answer your question, Resident Evil 2 Remake totally defines my type of game; Metroidvania-style exploration, puzzle-solving, and a tense horror atmosphere etc.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KenjiCBZ said:

Story driven games that keep living in your heart even years after playing them.

So I'd say the various Quantic Dream games, Life is Strange 1 and Before the Storm, and The Last of Us.

you should give some amazing VN's a shot then like Steins;Gate or the Nonary games, they are 100% better than the quantic and LIS when it comes to narratives. Super memorable too

7 minutes ago, NOWITSREYNTIME17 said:

you should give some amazing VN's a shot then like Steins;Gate or the Nonary games, they are 100% better than the quantic and LIS when it comes to narratives. Super memorable too

I only played one VN so far, Psycho Pass Mandatory Happiness, but I didn't really enjoy it. I recently got a Vita, so I might play others VN in the future.

Shadow of Mordor because it's a small scale open-world RPG

I am currently playing Shadow of War but I don't like it as much as the original, it's just too bloated

Bioshock/Prey semi-open world games (not sure about the exact term)

Bllodborne/Dark Souls etc. soulslikes

• Like 1