What’s the game that perfectly defines your type of game?

Carol

Probably the Yakuza series. I won’t pick a single game as I haven’t played them all, but I know they are all pretty similar. To list what I like - mixture of deep story and wacky, lighthearted moments, lots of colour in a small open world environment, combat that is just the right mix of mindless and complex, varied activities to mix things up; from coliseum fighting, to card games, games of chance, arcade games, racing strategy, business management, Karaoke rhythm games, etc, etc..then there is the complete lack of a politically correct identity politics agenda, so without targeting any one group they can have a laugh at everyone, as well as show different types of people - they can show women being hostesses and exotic dancers without negating their stronger roles for example (and sure, the tame glamour model shoots are nice too, at least compared with the lack thereof).

Love the Yakuza series. Just wish the plat was easier, some of those tile and card games...man!

Edited by thefourfoldroot
  • Like 2

I would say Dragon Age: Origins.

Amazing story, deep lore to read, decisions that really affect the ending / playthrough , really challenging combat ( specially on nightmare difficulty) combined with an immersive medieval world ( favorite setting).

This one really amazed me back in the day playing with my old Windows XP.

Heck, I am replaying it now for the 6th time and still gives me the chills. ?

Edited by Quixotesque
  • Like 2

It’s really hard to choose, but a few games that would definitely make the cut for me are Dark Souls, The Last of Us (first game), and The Witcher 3. I’ll go with the latter for the sake of this post.

I’m a HUGE fan of historical epics and anything at all that has a medieval/high fantasy/swords & sandals kind of vibe (anything like Game of Thrones). I also love a good RPG, and The Witcher manages to scratch all these itches for me.

You’ve got a gruff, bad ass, reluctant hero. Beautiful and mysterious women who are equally bad ass. You’ve got sword combat, armour, horses, magic, and monsters, all set against a backdrop of warring kingdoms, political intrigue, heroism and a sweeping romance. You’ve got a massive world to explore, stuffed to the brim with high quality quests, rewards to find, secrets to uncover, and countless numbers of colourful characters. The writing is excellent, and the entire package just reeks of quality and attention to detail. The only aspect that is lacking a little bit is the combat, but that’s usually an afterthought in a game like this.

What else could you want? ? Really looking forward to checking out Greedfall in the near future, as I’m itching to play another game like this again. It’s been too long!

I guess it would be Cuphead. It has everything I’m looking for in a game: fun, addictive gameplay, good platforming, epic boss fights, amazing graphics/art, replayable even after the platinum (a barrier almost no games can pass for me), and a very cute story to keep it all strung along. This is a game I can return to at any time and beat it in a sitting.

My n2 candidate is Persona 5 Royal, in which I absolutely adore almost everything. Anime style story, heavy focus on character development, etc. Unfortunately the one thing I don’t like is the turn based combat, so it unfortunately falls just a bit short in winning me over in every aspect. :(

• Like 1

NieR: Automata or Xenoblade Chronicles

-A great story written by someone I know I'll enjoy

-The music is phenomenal

-The game play is fun and doesn't dull quickly. It doesn't have to be the best game play ever

-A creative, expansive world built to go explore its secrets

-Deep lore

-Letting me decide how fast I take the story while also not being boring if I decide to do non-story things

-Not wanting the game to end but also sitting on the edge of my seat in anticipation of the ending

Automata and Xenoblade are also my third and fourth most favorite games ever. Can you imagine that my top two only follow about half of these?

Probably Twisted Metal 2

I think it had a relatively simple and intuitive control schema, which is always a plus. The different modes (single player, co-op, competitive) are also nice to have to suit whatever I'm interested in at the moment. 

The mix of having a short time commitment for a single playthrough and a lot of re-playability due to the different characters and endings also makes it fun to return to. That was a big deal back in the day when I only owned a half a dozen games in total! 

Some of the other entries in the series are also fun, but I think has the best sense of humor, presentation, and range of level designs/concepts. I'm still dumbfounded that the first TM game was included on the Playstation Classic/Mini rather than this one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KenjiCBZ said:

I only played one VN so far, Psycho Pass Mandatory Happiness, but I didn't really enjoy it. I recently got a Vita, so I might play others VN in the future.

Mandatory Happiness is...eh, I'd give ie a 6/10.  A decent visual novel but there are a LOT better ones.

As for me, that's a really hard question.  I'd say the game that probably has the most 'me' elements would be 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim.  It has tactical/turn-based combat, a heavy storyline, really solid characters, a setting I enjoy (modern/modernish Japan), and sci-fi elements. 

If I am ever granted one miracle and someone makes a Neptunia-like game with an all-male cast that would probably be another one.  They have nice turn-based combat, interesting character designs, the ability to change character's outfits and hair colors and accessories, a lot of pop culture/game references (the type of pop culture I know), and that quickness that comes with a lot of games.  I don't even mind the fanservice I just want it to be swapped genders for once.

Edited by Alternatewarning
Double posted, oops

Dragon Quest XI: Echos of an Elusive Age

It's a great written rpg, with a cheesy plot device but done well so i love it.

It has great characters with not overly complex (for the sake of being complex) designs. Graphics are stylish, not just ramped up to over 9000 (see what i did there...) 

Combat is simple and fun but has harder challenges for endgame. Also a

relatively big world and not too much of a grind. 

Dungeon Defenders, Demon's Souls and Alienation.

High potential for customization adds 100s of hours of replay entertainment. I still dive into these games years after earning all the trophies.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Demon's Souls

I saw your name and straight away I thought, 'Souls'. Glad I wasn't disappointed.

Just asked my gf and I wanted to say the Souls-like games (Demon, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Code Vein)

But I love Need For Speed but the last one made me never want to touch a NFS game again because of the horrendous, non-customisable controls.

So she's said I don't have a type, I just bounce around from Indie to Sport to MMO, to crap, to not crap. I just play stuff that I like..... and then stuff I don't like.

I hope that narrowed it down..... lol

Edited by OpenScars
  • Like 1

For me such game doesn't yet exists. Yes, I can say Silent Hill for example, but it lacks deep combat and weapons variety, inventory management, world exploration at greater extents and freedom of movement (even though original and Downpour were very close to my standards), but it has super deep story, true terrifying, no fancy stuff and chit chats. It has ambient music where it needed and have enough silence and inner dialogues to connect a player and character to create a mix of both.

Here I can say Dark Souls, it has all melee weaponry and combat you ever asked for, it has naturally dark atmosphere without getting over board fantasy and always keeps it on a grounded level. Still lacks inventory management, but successfully compensate it with items rarity and its rich history of every item, making it count and worth even for a rag. No match world design and interconnections. Though, game lacks sexy and fantastic firearms, which I love. Crossbow delivers, but sometimes I want marksman rifle, or a silenced pistol, you know, a hunting rifle for a big boom and bolt action reload animation and sound. 

It all goes to Resident Evil, but it has flawed story, with cheesy and cringe narrative, which ruins every serious note you can ever catch there for a moment. It always feels like game intentionally keeps you awake from any kind of immersion it lazily tries to create, and never allow you to be lost in thoughts about happenings. Although everything else is a top notch more or less, I have high hopes to call Resident Evil 8 a definition of my game. But you know, melee will probably not get in there, and cringe most definitely will not disappear.

There also Dayz I have found recently for myself, but it lacks any sense obviously, though mechanics are incredible, possibilities are many, realisation is like has been postponed for infinities. It is so much grounded, and clunky that it always give a feel this is not a game at all. Again, it has its charm, but make no sense.

In racing genre it is Project Cars 2. Nothing like that I ever played in my life, because it is exactly how cars driving in it.

Edited by Bloodytears1666
  • Like 1

Red Dead redemption 2

- Open world

- Side quests/lots of activities (game in a game like poker/blackjack)

- Great characters you actually bond with

- Amazing story 

- Graphics 

- Perfect combination of trophies which you can be proud of (though the zoo/skinning trophies are shit)

Edited by Deluziion90
  • Like 1

I feel like this is gonna be a cheap answer because Persona 5 (really Persona 5 Royal), is what many would call a nearly perfect video game to begin with aside from obviously that spaceport palace, but on a personal standpoint I just feel like it takes many aspects from a lot of my favorite games or things as well.
The strangest part is, I tend to lean more towards linear games than JRPGs or open world games that I'd rather have an experience even if it were short and sweet, but the way it was executed is how I wished open world games would be done as a 115 hour linear experience that leaves you constantly captivated and makes you feel you're always progressing through the story, because the past console gen only shown me that I was exhausted of the current state of open world games needlessly padding out the experience with hundreds of side missions to get your money's worth.
On top of that, I grew up on Harry Potter so naturally I loved Bully as well having the school element, but Uncharted is also my favorite game franchise for a multitude of reasons. I was always fascinated with the idea of being a thief in my video games let alone the stealth genre, which is probably why I love Sly Cooper the most of the PS2 mascot trio and I'll probably also give a shoutout to Dishonored, so obviously Uncharted has that and you can imagine I instantly fell in love with the whole heist procedure element in Persona 5.
Then there's the major aspect that makes Uncharted special, possibly why I still love it more than The Last of Us, and that's the iconic ensemble of the cast that I don't feel too many games nearly replicate the chemistry as well from what you'd expect from a movie, which the Phantom Thieves clearly have that type of chemistry too.
But one of the main reasons why Uncharted isn't that game that has everything for me is because Persona 5 is an example of a game that shows you don't need the most realistic graphics in today's world to have an amazing game up to the quality of a Naughty Dog game. Style is something today's games sorely lack nowadays and yes, I am grateful Crash Bandicoot (which was also my most favorite franchise before Uncharted came into the picture, and there is some loose sense of platforming in Persona 5 Royal as well) and even Spyro are back, but I believe we can take the next step with those type of games. Persona 5 is an example of a game that is cartoony, but isn't necessarily aimed at kids, and I want to see more mature games like that in our industry beyond just a Ratchet and Clank and whatnot. Why can't Naughty Dog apply what they did to The Last of Us's emotional narrative on something that looks like Crash or as we would commonly refer to as a Pixar movie and possibly even still make it age appropriate for kids? I'll stop myself before I go on a tangent, but Persona 5 just has it all in unifying my childhood favorites with the kind of modern experiences I want from a game nowadays.

Edited by Potter13579
  • Like 3

I can’t define the kinds of games I enjoy to just one. I’ve played many in a genre I like that I didn’t enjoy too much, and games I play in a genre I don’t typically delve in such as horror and racing, that I enjoyed a lot. 

My games are ones I enjoy from start to finish, I can’t mention any one specific game. I’ve enjoyed good platform indies like Rogue Legacy, I’ve enjoyed epic third person shooter adventures like Uncharted, I’ve enjoyed combat centric action RPGs like Dark Souls, and so forth. 

To put all the time I spent into gaming to a type of game I enjoy is something I’d rather not delve into. In short, I like a lot of different kinds of games as long as they’re ones I enjoy from start to finish.

Edited by Spaz

Over the last decade I've come to play more MMO type games. I like leveling, following an interesting story and having a basic list of tasks (clear instructions are something I really like a game to have). Much of that stems from the more ingrained love of collect-a-thon type games. You know the ones, Mario 64 and such, where it's an open world full of crap to find and by golly I'ma find all of it.

More broadly, I'm usually open to any game type/genera, with only a few not really being up my ally. But exceptions exist, of course.

Survival games normally drive me away, but I don't mind it when it's mixed with other games (Terraria, as a very lite example).

Shooters aren't high on my list, but Shadow Warrior 1 and Metroid Prime are fun.

Fighting is another one I don't actively seek out, but I enjoyed Smash Bros. and Them's Fightin' Herds.

I think it's important to be open to trying new things and be willing to revisit old ideas from time to time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Maahniac said:

That's a really difficult question to answer. I LOVE typical Metroidvania-style gameplay elements. You see a door early in the game, but you can't open it yet. Later on you find a key with the same symbol the door had, so you'll backtrack to the door and voila. Heavily exploration-based gameplay is my jam. You can't really call Resident Evil 2 Remake a Metroidvania-game, but there are those specific type of exploration-gameplay elements similar to Metroidvania games. To answer your question, Resident Evil 2 Remake totally defines my type of game; Metroidvania-style exploration, puzzle-solving, and a tense horror atmosphere etc.

I like vania types aswel. and I checked your awesome list of games and i didn't see it, im so shocked i thought i'd do you the faver of telling you.

the guy who made the original castlevanias asked his boss at konami for some scratch to make a new castlevania, and the konami boss said no, so he went to kickstarter and funded a series of games, bloodstained ritual of the night, curse of the moon and curse of the moon 2.

the first is a strong vania esque game, long and very fun plat, amazing music it hits every mark near perfect for me it was 9.5/10 the other 2 i haven't tried, but they're lower budget and also full of random gameplay types like nier automata was, so they shuld be great and i think all 3 are on sale now.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84

5 hours ago, MandA60VISE said:

NieR: Automata or Xenoblade Chronicles

-A great story written by someone I know I'll enjoy

-The music is phenomenal

-The game play is fun and doesn't dull quickly. It doesn't have to be the best game play ever

-A creative, expansive world built to go explore its secrets

-Deep lore

-Letting me decide how fast I take the story while also not being boring if I decide to do non-story things

-Not wanting the game to end but also sitting on the edge of my seat in anticipation of the ending

Automata and Xenoblade are also my third and fourth most favorite games ever. Can you imagine that my top two only follow about half of these?

you sir are the best person here

I play pretty much any genre you can think of, so maybe the WarioWare games since the minigames can be vastly different from one another?

If I were to pick individual games to fit my criteria of things I enjoy, I'd go with Payday 2 for good online co-op play, tight FPS gameplay with a large variety of weapons, instanced missions each with a ton of replayability (sort of like Hitman), and more relaxed arcade-y style stealth. Those are all features I really enjoy in games. 

Then I'd probably say Harvest Moon DS. It's got the whole farming life sim thing along with a large variety of activities that each play back into the main incentive of the game (finding all the Sprites). I like when you can make forward progression in a game without having to stay dedicated to doing one single thing the entire time.

Also Binding of Isaac: Rebirth for being a roguelike with pretty much infinite replayability. I love roguelikes.

And finally, I'd pick SOMA for having a very strong narrative (I think this is lowkey extremely important for horror games), impeccable atmosphere, excellent chase music, and some really scary moments. Super important qualities for a horror game to have!