What’s the game that perfectly defines your type of game?

Carol

Mega Man Legends

-It's a good length.  I think my very first playthrough was like 15 hours

-The story has like zero padding

-A fun and interesting cast

-Lots of fun side quests

-EVERYTHING is connected, like once you get all the weapons you can get anywhere from anywhere underground

-All the bosses are fun and unique.  Like Gesellschaft is my all time favorite boss fight.

4 hours ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

I like vania types aswel. and I checked your awesome list of games and i didn't see it, im so shocked i thought i'd do you the faver of telling you.

the guy who made the original castlevanias asked his boss at konami for some scratch to make a new castlevania, and the konami boss said no, so he went to kickstarter and funded a series of games, bloodstained ritual of the night, curse of the moon and curse of the moon 2.

the first is a strong vania esque game, long and very fun plat, amazing music it hits every mark near perfect for me it was 9.5/10 the other 2 i haven't tried, but they're lower budget and also full of random gameplay types like nier automata was, so they shuld be great and i think all 3 are on sale now.

Man, thank you! Those games look AWESOME! I've added Bloodstained to my cart on PSN now. Again, thank you! 

Batman Arkham Knight

a game where I don't have to compromise on any of story/graphics/gameplay, a complete package

story/world/characters:

a regular man with no super powers, but infinite resources, peak human condition and high intellect, with morality, principles, no kill rule, giving everything to protect his city against a brilliant gallery of enemies all the way from vast physical combat challengers to puzzles, fear, ideology

set in a relative present time where he has access to state of the art technology

having a romance with a woman that's just as capable in what she does

can't screw up the ending, it's not about just the journey or the destination, it's about everything

technical side:

top of the line AAA realistic graphics with a unique artistic direction

open world

amazing in every category, voice acting, animations, sound design, camera work etc.

gameplay:

100% offline singleplayer story centered game

fast, fluid, rhythmic combat with multiple enemies

variation, ground combat, vehicle combat

fast, fun traversal that flows from in and out of combat

Edited by EDGES
  • Like 1

Tales of Berseria 

Really good story and characters.

Enemies that appear on the field (nor random encounters)

Plenty of side quests to find out more about the characters and also non-linear gameplay. 

No RNG rubbish or stupid mini games

A cool strong anti-hero main character like Velvet 

An easily understandable weapons and equipment system. 

Some humour and interesting character interactions 

FFX-2 was a close one but the random encounters makes it a big nay. 

On 1/9/2021 at 9:25 PM, DavySuicide said:

Blasphemous. A gritty, dark and atheistic peace of art combined with metroidvania elements and a badass gameplay. It's just once of the best games in a decade and totally up my alley.

I agree; one of the best games I played last year! Not sure how atheistic it is, thoughseems to me it was more a criticism of corruption and dogmatic beliefs in organized religion. I say this as a secular person myself, by the way.

To answer the topic, Hollow Knight and Shovel Knight (funny coincidence they both have "knight" titles) tick nearly all of the boxes for me.

• Like 1

Clive Barkers Jericho and Alan Wake! Both those games have everything I look for in a game. Dark and interesting story with a few twists,  interesting and original gameplay mechanics. 

I replay these two games on an annual basis. They are both horror masterpieces. 
if I ever see a upcoming game that’s similar to any of these two it’s a day one purchase for me. Unfortunately there hasn’t been one in several years. 

I believe Dead Cells fits this topic nicely for me.

-Simple, but fluid, and fast skill-based combat.

-Natural rogue-like progression.

-Fun lore to look for in optional lore rooms.

-Beautiful pixel aesthetic.

-Challenging trophy list.

-Great soundtrack.

Apotheon also fits here as well.

-Beautiful and unique visuals.

-A nice story with good voice acting.

-A Soundtrack that perfectly suits the atmosphere.

-Simple, skill-based combat.

-Weapon durability system keeps you from using just one weapon.

-The game constantly adds variety to it’s gameplay.

14 hours ago, Quink666 said:

Clive Barkers Jericho and Alan Wake! Both those games have everything I look for in a game. Dark and interesting story with a few twists,  interesting and original gameplay mechanics. 

I replay these two games on an annual basis. They are both horror masterpieces. 
if I ever see a upcoming game that’s similar to any of these two it’s a day one purchase for me. Unfortunately there hasn’t been one in several years. 

Interesting and uncommon games you mentioned. Imo Jericho had like a ton of potential but hasn't lived up to this somehow. I am a huge Clive Barker fan myself, I read many of his books and of course the movies such as Hellraiser ( Hellraiser 2 is still one of my most favorite Horror Movies of all time ). When I originally played Jericho I was quite disappointed but maybe I had too high hopes in this game back in the days. Nevertheless they had some very good ideas. I wonder how this game would have looked like on PS5 in 2021 :-) 

Have you ever played Condemned? You probably might gonna like this as well. 

Cheers!

13 hours ago, IntroPhenom said:

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - no question.  After a short introduction, you're allowed to go outside and see the world, and from there whatever you want to do is up to you, and the possibilities are seemingly endless.

A breathtakingly awesome game. Looking so forward to BOTW2. <3

14 hours ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

I agree; one of the best games I played last year! Not sure how atheistic it is, thoughseems to me it was more a criticism of corruption and dogmatic beliefs in organized religion. I say this as a secular person myself, by the way.

To answer the topic, Hollow Knight and Shovel Knight (funny coincidence they both have "knight" titles) tick nearly all of the boxes for me.

Hey man, you probably might be right. In the essence core of it's topic, Blasphemous is criticizing more like the instruments of institutions such as the church and not religion itself, agreed. But considering myself an atheist, this game feels like a crusade against superstition and all the things I utterly hate :-D but maybe it's just for me. Nice to hear that you loved the game as much as I did.

Hollow Knight was an outstanding game as well. Loved every second of it. Metroidvania meets Burtonesque artwork with a perfect gameplay. We surely were blessed with damn good indie games in the past couple of years. 

Edited by DavySuicide
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DavySuicide said:

Interesting and uncommon games you mentioned. Imo Jericho had like a ton of potential but hasn't lived up to this somehow. I am a huge Clive Barker fan myself, I read many of his books and of course the movies such as Hellraiser ( Hellraiser 2 is still one of my most favorite Horror Movies of all time ). When I originally played Jericho I was quite disappointed but maybe I had too high hopes in this game back in the days. Nevertheless they had some very good ideas. I wonder how this game would have looked like on PS5 in 2021 :-) 

Have you ever played Condemned? You probably might gonna like this as well. 

Cheers!

Yeah none of the game are super popular among other gamers but I really love them. The story of Jericho is what is the best part of the game.  Really like the time travelling stuff while trying to get to the firstborn. I generally like games that have either gods or devils involved in the story. Dante’s inferno is another game with a really dope story. Travelling through all the levels of hell.

Also like the unique gameplay of switching characters constantly even if the AI is dumb af, always dying is something I enjoyed. Clive Barkers Undying is another really good game.  

Alan Wakes story is very Stephen King and he also happens to be my second favourite author after Tolkien. The flashlight gameplay and constant narration in the game is also fairly unique if you ask me ? Same with Dante’s inferno when Virgils tells you about each level of hell. I generally like game with a lot of narration. 

I have played the first Condemned game on Xbox 360 and got all achievements. I have been looking for a copy of Condemned 2 for PS3 but no luck so far. Unfortunately no trophies for the PS3 version but it’s the same with Jericho for PS3. I still only own a physical copy copy Jericho on PC. Been looking for a PS3 disc in my country but it’s really rare and the ones I’ve found is usually over 40 bucks which is to steep for me. 

I thinks it’s cool that you actually heard about Jericho, most people have never heard of the game??. Barker is a horror genius. Need to read some more books by him. 

• Like 1

Darksiders

My favorite games growing up were Zelda games.  I feel like Darksiders took a bare bones approach to making a Zelda game.

Hack n slash, metroidvania style of progressions and puzzle solving.  Dungeons that you gain some new ability from and defeat a boss at the end.  Vague storytelling that I can kind of let my imagination fill in the blanks.  I really dig that kind of stuff.

• Like 1

For me it's Skyrim. I love the story, the characters, the voice acting, and the soundtrack. I feel like there's always a lot to do, and I can spend hours collecting or doing side quests without touching the main story.

The GTA series has been my favorite for years, but I think Skyrim perfectly captures all the things I love about GTA.

On 15.1.2021 at 5:21 PM, Quink666 said:

Yeah none of the game are super popular among other gamers but I really love them. The story of Jericho is what is the best part of the game.  Really like the time travelling stuff while trying to get to the firstborn. I generally like games that have either gods or devils involved in the story. Dante’s inferno is another game with a really dope story. Travelling through all the levels of hell.

Also like the unique gameplay of switching characters constantly even if the AI is dumb af, always dying is something I enjoyed. Clive Barkers Undying is another really good game.  

Alan Wakes story is very Stephen King and he also happens to be my second favourite author after Tolkien. The flashlight gameplay and constant narration in the game is also fairly unique if you ask me 1f600.png Same with Dante’s inferno when Virgils tells you about each level of hell. I generally like game with a lot of narration. 

I have played the first Condemned game on Xbox 360 and got all achievements. I have been looking for a copy of Condemned 2 for PS3 but no luck so far. Unfortunately no trophies for the PS3 version but it’s the same with Jericho for PS3. I still only own a physical copy copy Jericho on PC. Been looking for a PS3 disc in my country but it’s really rare and the ones I’ve found is usually over 40 bucks which is to steep for me. 

I thinks it’s cool that you actually heard about Jericho, most people have never heard of the game1f44d-1f3fb.png. Barker is a horror genius. Need to read some more books by him. 

Absolutely true, narration is the most important part of a game. Nowadays we do get more style over substance stuff and that really sucks. I do have Jericho in my collection, same with Condemned 2 for PS3. They are really cheap here in germany you get them for a few bucks. Strange that they are so expensive in sweden. It's really sad that these games are so old that they don't suppor trophies. Would be cool to get back to these games for a little hunt = ) 

Alan Wake was Xbox exclusive as far as I remember, do I? I played this game around 2010 and I remember that this game had an outstanding soundtrack as well. Really nice game! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DavySuicide said:

Alan Wake was Xbox exclusive as far as I remember, do I? I played this game around 2010 and I remember that this game had an outstanding soundtrack as well. Really nice game! 

Yeah Xbox and PC, basicly a Microsoft exclusive. Believe i got released first for Xbox and a little later PC, not 100% sure though. It's often on sale on Steam for 2-3 bucks if you ever feel like picking it up. Even though it played great on X360 i prefer to play it on my weak 7-8 year old PC. The DLC's and the standalone DLC (American Nightmare) is also worth a shot, not as good as the main game ofc but still enjoyable.

The Last of Us.

- dark story that blends drama and realism well, while tugging at the heartstrings that leaves a very memorable impression that very few games manage to pull off. It manages to insert the values of struggle, adversity, teamwork and triumph when the odds are stacked against you, reminiscent of The Walking Dead TV show (one of my favorite shows). The mixture of not only having the infected and mutated to worry about as you're enemies, but also your fellow human beings, makes for interesting and unpredictable outcomes in the story. Knowing this heightens my anticipation as I progress through a game.
- it has characters that are relatable and likeable. While they are certainly not perfect and that they also have apparent flaws (you know, like any ordinary human), in my eyes this makes them shine more and helps add more substance to the story.
- it has a cold, empty but still beautiful setting that you can't help but think, "Damn, this is what the real world could actually be like if it has gone to total shit." This kind of setting actually helps take in and focus on the surroundings more that makes exploring even more enjoyable, appreciating the small things as well. The modern lore you discover not only through character interactions but also learn within the notes you find helps paint the picture of how screwed up and divisive human nature can be when the theme of 'survival of the fittest' comes into play. This emphasis on tragedy/disaster in its raw form is what I find interesting and entertaining.
- the gameplay manages to set a great balanced mixture between linear and a hint of open world, enough to be able to explore around you without taking off too much focus on progression that I find refreshing. Playing in third person is always a plus since I prefer to see the character that I'm playing. I'm a fan of stealth so the fact that I can sneak behind almost every enemy in the game and make a kill (or even avoiding them) favors my "hoarding of items" style of play. 
- while I also like my share of easier games too, challenge is also important as I usually like to play a game where my efforts feels earned, while having fun. TLoU managed to do this effectively with the release of grounded mode, feeling like you're in an actual survival horror because of the strong limitation on supplies, more damaged received and more and harder to kill enemies. Hell, even Hard difficulty on a 1st playthrough without a guide gave a bit of a challenge.

Bioshock

Moody, full of intrigue, wonderfully mysterious world, original weapons and powers, innovative gameplay, great characters and voice acting, a real moral story, the whole deal!

Pretty sure i will still be replaying it 20 years from now...

My two favourites (though perfect games/series in my mind) are Burnout and Jak.

Burnout is the great adrenaline pumping racing action you want with crazy destruction and a good racing OST (comprising of mainly Rock)

Jak is a solid series that switches it up with each release and is an amazing blend of like every genre and style that I love and EASILY Naughty Dog's BEST work to date... Seriously, fight me bro ?

Edited by MRR---OFFICIAL