And my Christmas 20/21 autogift was a.... PS3

Quixotesque

I'd advise you to pass on the Fallout games, heard horror stories about their performance and having to take precautions like having the smallest save file possible or the game will be unplayable, that's what stopped me from even bothering to play them.

• Like 1

I’d recommend Mass Effect as well, although a PS4 remaster is in the works. The second and third games have a couple of trophies that require online though from what I’ve read.

Kingdom Hearts series (also on ps4)

Yazuka games. Not an RPG but its Japanese and is semi-open world. I’ve just started with the series with Yakuza 3 and really enjoying it.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your answers! I have taken good note about games to fill my PS3 :)  

On 11/1/2021 at 7:05 AM, darkrequiem7 said:

Skyrim, of course!

Good luck with any Bethesda game on PS3 though. A bit rough as the file size grows.

On 11/1/2021 at 6:03 AM, black__bunny said:

I’d recommend Mass Effect as well, although a PS4 remaster is in the works. The second and third games have a couple of trophies that require online though from what I’ve read.

Kingdom Hearts series (also on ps4)

Yazuka games. Not an RPG but its Japanese and is semi-open world. I’ve just started with the series with Yakuza 3 and really enjoying it.

On 10/1/2021 at 8:40 PM, Dr_Mayus said:

Kingdom of Amalur was good.

Venetica...I liked this game but it isn't what you would call great. I do feel it was an under appreciated game

Bioshock is not really open world but it is kind of...still a great game.

On 10/1/2021 at 9:04 PM, KondeBra said:

Mass Effect trilogy.

Sure, allthose games you guys mention I have them listed as I have played some of them and others I am pretty sure that I will like them.However, I think I will opt for the PS4 version in most of them, specially that Mass Effect Remastered ?

I will use PS3 for those gems that did not get any remaster or that are complete bargains via CEX or places like that. 

On 10/1/2021 at 9:23 PM, HaserPL said:

I'd advise you to pass on the Fallout games, heard horror stories about their performance and having to take precautions like having the smallest save file possible or the game will be unplayable, that's what stopped me from even bothering to play them.

I am aware of the issues in Fallout games on PS3. In my previous account, I platted Fallout 3 and I remmeber having multiple saves in case something bugged and had to reply a lot of times... However, they are games that bring me very good memories ( specially NV) so nostalgia is strong in this case. My intention is to give New Vegas a try in near future and once I finish it continue playing its spiritual secuel: The Outer Worlds. Fallout 3 will be a future plan. No hurry

On 10/1/2021 at 9:36 PM, X_Wizi_X said:

Take a look at my profile. I think we have similar tastes about games

Nice collection you have friend :) I will take a look for sure

Edited by Quixotesque
  • Like 1

Well that is a nice autogift. ?

Demon's Souls,Batman AA,Just Cause 2,Skyrim,Fallout 3,Deus EX HR are all great games.

I also liked Risen 2,Risen 3,Dragon's Dogma but most people find thoose games weird. But Dogma was for sure great game.  ?

Edited by blazkowicz6
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2021 at 2:23 PM, HaserPL said:

Isn't that the very old case with most multiplatform 360/ps3 games? The 360 version would most of the time either have better framerates, better graphics (or be less blurry), or be optimized better.

8 minutes ago, cardcrusher29 said:

Isn't that the very old case with most multiplatform 360/ps3 games? The 360 version would most of the time either have better framerates, better graphics (or be less blurry), or be optimized better.

Yes, the Cell was a completely different and much more difficult piece of hardware to program for and the 360's 3 core system was much closer to typical programming at the time. That made it much easier to optimize for the 360.

• Like 2

My personal list consists of:

• Final Fantasy XIII (the whle trilogy, by the way)
  • Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
  • GTA IV
  • Plants vs Zombies (however the Vita version is better in terms of trophies)
  • Ico

Congratulations by this purchase, looking forward to do the same!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cardcrusher29 said:

True, but AFAIK only Bethesda games are having so major problems on PS3. I haven't had a single game in my history, where I'd have to take precautions to simply finish the game, let alone to get a platinum in them. I've heard that Fallout games are somewhat okay if you play regular versions and have DLC's purchased, that only GOTY/Ultimate Editions are terrible, but nowadays with DLCs delisted/too expensive GOTY/Ultimate are the only reasonable way to get them, so I'll take a pass on Fallout games and Skyrim. I wanna play them for fun, not to have a miserable time.

• Like 2

I have Skyrim Legendary Edition and Fallout 3 GOTY. I had no problems in Skyrim(pure luck maybe) but I did see big frame drops in Fallout 3 especially near the end and in dlc. So I understand if someone wants to skip theese games. ?

Edited by blazkowicz6

Two things:  I'd collect the Tales of RPG series for PS3.  There are many titles to keep you busy.  Second, I'm not even mad you gifted yourself a PS3.  I admit mine is collecting dust, but I know I wouldn't get anything for it if I sold it, and I'd buy a physical copy of something rare once my PS4 backlog dies down.  Good luck!

• Like 1

I'd recommend playing Dark Souls 1 and 2 on your PS4. Mostly because of the frame rate and the possibility to still play online what makes the Platinum little easier and faster. 

My Top 5 recommendations besides the obvious ones like GoW, Uncharted and such are: 

1. Mirrors Edge (Platinum and 100% is very doable despite some very high difficulty ratings) 

2. Deus Ex Human Revolution (preferably the Directors Cut because it has some extra features like NG+ and the DLC implemented within the main game) 

3. Bionic Commando (very few people bought this game, but most people I know fell in love once they played for few hours. might be my no.1 hidden gem on PS3) 

4. Deadly Premonition (this is a wired one... kind of Twin Peaks as a video game in an open world mixed with old-school resident evil gameplay. I love it but its surely not for everyone) 

5. Catherine (there is a PS4 version too but either way this is a brilliant game and totally unique) 

• Like 1

Yeah I doubt you could get a new PS3 at this point. Have fun with it pimp.

People say Bethesda games on PS3 are buggy, I usually play them on PC but I've got Fallout 3 GOTY on PS3 after playing the base game on 360 and it's perfectly playable, haven't tried NV yet. People say Skyrim is the worst and I can attest to that as I've seen it at a friend's house. Oblivion is probably a better experience to be honest. Dark Souls 1 and 2 are great. You can play them without going online but at least try to. It's nice to run into people on that game still. Heck, even Demon's Souls had a population before it got shut down. Still need to try to get back on the fan servers though. Both games need multiple playthroughs to get items and see endings.

People say Dragon's Dogma is a great game, same with Dragon Age.

Edit: the Far Cry games are good but they all have online trophies, 2 especially.

Edited by Lianco
more detail
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, OBSTINATIO said:

I'd recommend playing Dark Souls 1 and 2 on your PS4. Mostly because of the frame rate and the possibility to still play online what makes the Platinum little easier and faster. 

My Top 5 recommendations besides the obvious ones like GoW, Uncharted and such are: 

1. Mirrors Edge (Platinum and 100% is very doable despite some very high difficulty ratings) 

2. Deus Ex Human Revolution (preferably the Directors Cut because it has some extra features like NG+ and the DLC implemented within the main game) 

3. Bionic Commando (very few people bought this game, but most people I know fell in love once they played for few hours. might be my no.1 hidden gem on PS3) 

4. Deadly Premonition (this is a wired one... kind of Twin Peaks as a video game in an open world mixed with old-school resident evil gameplay. I love it but its surely not for everyone) 

5. Catherine (there is a PS4 version too but either way this is a brilliant game and totally unique) 

Just curious how Mirrors Edge is possible to platinum.  Has been awhile since I played it but I thought you had to upload scores and that feature was no longer available.  Awesome game though and maybe I would go back and try it again.

11 hours ago, da-Noob123 said:

If you don't mind something pretrophies how about The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion GOTY edition? It's a travesty it never got a trophy update but it is still one of my all time favorites. 

Didn´t know there was a PS3 version of this game o.O Wow, I expended +300 h to it on PC. How is it? I may give it a try sometime Thanks! :D 

1 hour ago, OBSTINATIO said:

I was thinking about getting the Dark souls trilogy pack for PS4 as an alternative ?But maybe I found them cheaper on their PS3 physical copies. Thanks for the recommendations ;) 

2 hours ago, DoctorGameGeek said:

Two things:  I'd collect the Tales of RPG series for PS3.  There are many titles to keep you busy.  Second, I'm not even mad you gifted yourself a PS3.  I admit mine is collecting dust, but I know I wouldn't get anything for it if I sold it, and I'd buy a physical copy of something rare once my PS4 backlog dies down.  Good luck!

Haha. You should definetly go back to it, man There are so many gems on that console that it sure can give you hours of fun ;)