What was your most troublesome platinum?

Trumpet_Boi_208

Simple concept. Name one or more platinum trophies that were more painful than they initially looked to obtain. This could be because of buggy trophies, technical difficulties, or simply struggling at every turn of the way. I’ll list a couple as an example.

Littlebigplanet 3 - At first, the trophy list didn’t seem so bad. It looked like a fun list that required you to do everything the game has to offer. Turns out, I had a lot of difficulty finding people to do some co-op levels with. Also, I had to play through the story mode 4 separate times, because one trophy for playing all the story levels with another player bugged out, and I had to dedicate another whole playthrough just to earn the platinum. All the trophies that could’ve been bugged screwed me over here, making it a lot more painful than it should’ve been.

Dead Cells - This was a nice, challenging list that I’ll admit to mostly boosting with the backup exploit. However, all my save data got corrupted on my last New Game + playthrough (four new game + play throughs are required for platinum), forcing me to erase all my forge progress, and start from square one. This put me off the game for a couple months before I had the motivation to do all my new game + play throughs legitimately, without the exploit. Admittedly one of my proudest platinums.

What are your most needlessly painful platinum experiences?

• Like 4

Black ops III - completely ignorant to the amount of stuff you needed to do to get all the decorations in the campaign. Only realised when i was half way through a first playthrough. Ended up really enjoying this campaign though, so actually really enjoyed getting all the decorations. 

Energy Balance -  Crazy really, but got stumped on one puzzle and just got fed up with it, picked it up again a year later and managed to get it done pretty quickly, I made a mountain out of a mole hill really. 

Doom Eternal - Single player was easy enough. Couldn't stand the mutliplayer, made worse by the fact the BFG was so weak and so getting a kill with it was a surprising pain. 

Goat Simulator - Flappy Goat. Enough said. 

• Like 1

Without a doubt, Tomb Raider Underworld is my most troublesome platinum. The game allows you to use cheats so the game is an absolute joke to play through. However, the game doesn't always count collectables that you pick up so you have to constantly go into the stats menu to make sure it counted. I probably played through the game almost 3 times trying to get all of the collectables because it kept not counting it. There would even be sections of the game I played 3-4 times in a row because the game just refused to count them. Absolutely the worst trophy hunting experience I've ever had. If I wasn't doing it for a community event, I would have definitely quit for sure. I've said this in other threads before, but I paid $2 for the game, and I still feel like I got ripped off.

I absolutely loved Tomb Raider (PS3) so I thought I'd really enjoy this one too, but I was horribly, horribly wrong...

• Like 3

Final Fantasy X. I am accostumated with heavy grinding JRPG plats, but FFX really got on my nerves. You have to grind too much for everything, it burned me out towards the end. And dont even let my start on the annoying and frustrating mini-games. I think it is my only platinum until today that I seriously thought on giving up. I felt relieved the day I finished. 

• Like 3

Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor, PS3 version. Normally the platinum for this game is straightforward and easy, especially since on PS3 you don't have stupid DLC requirements. Just clean up the map and max out stuff... the classic.

However since the game is a broken mess that simply does NOT work, it was a nightmare to platinum. Took me twice the amount of time because every time I would fast travel between maps I would just trigger the final cutscene and battle AND credits(unskippable btw), collectibles simply did not count and the game itself worked like ass. It was way more troublesome than initially expected.

• Like 1

Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki for me.  First off, it's not localized so you have the general difficulties of playing a non-English game.  To add to those difficulties it had these additional issues:

-Every guide I found for the game had inaccuracies. This wasn't minor stuff, this was stuff like giving me wrong locations and choices.  Most guides also didn't give much info about trophies since the game was originally a PSP game and most guides were for that version.

-Tons of missables, no complete listings of them (had trouble even finding one in a Japanese guide).

-Difficulty trophies didn't stack, guides advised otherwise.  Got stuck having to do another playthrough thanks to this.

-A low level run was required. Said low level run was impossible to do while getting much else in the way of trophies.

-Had a trophy for play time that went beyond what a player would finish a game in, on a Vita game so you have to leave it idling and wiggle the analog stick every now and then since the game timer would pause if it went into rest mode.

-Some of the monsters you needed to analyze for the battle notebook were incredibly rare encounters and someone had the bright idea of the encounters only respawning if you leave the area completely.  I spent well over an hour trying to get one to show up.

-There was a glitch for one trophy that isn't mentioned in any guide.  Being affected by said glitch requires replaying the whole game while doing nearly everything again.  Yep, I got hit by this glitch.  Oh, and it was the battle notebook one, so see above point for why this pissed me off so much.  On top of that, one of the unique monsters came from a quest that requires a high detective ranking, so you had to do every quest and deal with first issue as well.  Hands down this was the most annoying glitch I've ever dealt with.

Tales of Vesperia- It's not hugely difficult as long as you have a guide glued to your face with the amount of missables in this game, and I played this game very carefully ticking all the boxes until I got to my second last trophy before the plat which was to get all the items along with all titles... I was missing two items, the gauche and droite swords which could only be stolen from them in the battle, which I missed doing and had to start a new playthrough and play until their boss fight just for that. It was so annoying, especially since I thought I was being so careful with the missables in this game. The border repede trophy to complete the race in under 30 seconds was annoying too, it took me many goes at it.

KH3- This was not hard either, but the mini games were really frustrating. All of them made my blood pressure rise and heart beat way too fast for Disney games like Frozen slider and dancing with Rapunzel. For a game with such an innocent vibe, it's got demonic mini games and half the trophies were mini game related. The Toy Story world shooting game with the robots and the flan mini games were a pain in the butt, especially the cherry and melon which i must have done at least 100 times. I was on the verge of giving up with how frustrating literally every mini game was, and there was just so many of them. 

Super Meat Boy - This game doesn’t need any explanation. But to say this was a little difficult is a huge understatement. 

I discovered that I can achieve very strenuous and overly difficult games with hard as nails platinums, as long as I’m focused enough and put in the time necessary to complete them.

• Like 2

Battlefield 3: All down to the co-op mission 'Drop 'em like liquid' where you play as 2 snipers taking out terrorists along a river bank and embassy. It was the only trophy left for the platinum. In theory pretty straight forward, but throw in the trophy requirements of not alerting anyone and it goes sideways very fast, especially if you don't get the timing right. It ended up being like a comedy sketch with us fucking it up over and over again because my partner didn't understand when to fire....'Is it on 1? or is it after 1?....no, I'll say 3-2-1-fire, to which they'd fire on 1 or after fire or not at all. I could of cried out when we eventually did it!!. Never played or want to play co-op EVER again.

Edited by mysticmosh
  • Like 1

This is going to sound ridiculous, but Minecraft. I played the co-op in 2019 with my little brother and some trophies popped during that, so this year I decided to clean up my list and finish it. It's not my type of game at all, but I was bored and wanting to broad my horizons, and it seemed like a simple platinum. Boy, I was wrong. The game is super easy, but trophies are a mess and going for the plat in the conventional way (like I did) was a weird experience.

The game is VERY glitchy and some trophies don't pop when they should, which makes you redo tasks several times. Some trophy requirements are obscure even if the descriptions appear to be simple, so when the trophy doesn't pop you wonder if the game glitched on you or if you just didn't do the right thing. Another problem is that due do the constant updates, all trophy guides are outdated and based on older versions of the game, so if you need help finding a specific object in a world or if you just want some sense of direction, best of luck. Tutorials were also removed from the newer version, so you can get overwhelmed very easily. 

There's a trophy you get after playing for 100 in-game worlds (roughly 33 hours), which sounds simple enough. The problem is that the game doesn't show your stats anywhere, so there's no way to track down your progress unless you count every day/night cycle and write it down somewhere (or if you just let your PS4 on for 2 days until the trophy pops). I have no patience for that, so after almost two weeks I wondered if the trophy glitched or if I just had to play more. Eventually it popped for me, but there was no way to follow the progress in the game itself. 

Not related to the platinum, but if you're a completionist, the game is a nightmare. Not only there are 13 DLC packs, there are two versions of the game, and if you're going for 100%, you need to go back and forth between them using a button in the main menu that allows that. The problem is that, for some people, one of the versions is not available due to a random bug, which can make it impossible to go for full completion. It was fine for me, but just seeing people struggling with this annoyed me because I didn't know if the bug was going to happen until after I'd re-installed the game. 

Edited by flugurnarrr

Likely Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee HD (PS3, 2012). The trophy "I Regrow Nothing" was glitched for over a year, and even after the long-awaited patch, it required a workaround to unlock. I did so many pointless playthroughs of that piece of junk.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

Likely Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee HD (PS3, 2012). The trophy "I Regrow Nothing" was glitched for over a year, and even after the long-awaited patch, it required a workaround to unlock. I did so many pointless playthroughs of that piece of junk.

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP

For me (besides Oddworld) it would probably be 3D Dot Game Heroes for that Dash Circuit B and Star Ocean 4 for a lot of reasons but also because the guide was wrong TWICE and I had to do 2 different playthroughs to correct the mistakes.

• Like 1

Demons Souls, was my last Fromsouls game I platted before Sekiro came out. Dupe glitch is helpful but bladestone farming was still a bitch, can’t imagine doing that legit

Pretty much any game I tried to boost, made me swear it off for good unless it’s just a few trophies and only one other person. Trading wins and kills for hours for a platinum isn’t a cost I can justify. I also had a bad experience, either on this site or discord, where a group got together before the agreed time without me, got all the trophies and closed the group, which comes to mind anytime I see boosting sessions I could help out in

Basically all of the Yakuza games..

they are fun, but there is always this ONE minigame (out of 20 or so) that makes me wanna scream, and in my case prevents my form getting the Plat in Yakuza 0! The 

Disco dance!

in the remastered versions Billiard and Darts were screwed up..

then you have the UFO catcher, which only eats away your time.

puyo puyo in Judgement!!! ><

• Like 1

The Evil Within because of Akumu mode. I knew it was going to be difficult. After all, everything in the game that causes damage kills you instantly. To make matters worse, in certain areas there are bear traps spread around that simply aren't there on Survival. Some of them are very well hidden and are obviously there as a Gotcha! moment from the developers. Since I went straight from Survival to Akumu and skipped Nightmare, I wasn't expecting that. Chapter 11 has a godawful slow moving cage thing that is only there to give you grief. You have to ride across in this thing, meanwhile there are guys shooting at you and throwing molotovs at you while you're trapped in this incredibly small area with no place to hide, and if you get hit once, you're dead and have to do it all over again. The molotov guys are Satan himself and thinking about them still infuriates me.

Despite all that, there are a few things that make Akumu even harder than it needs to be.

First, you have an incredibly small window of opportunity to dismantle the bomb traps compared to Nightmare, and you need trap parts in order to create bolts for the crossbow. The bomb trap difficulty seemed unnecessary since Akumu is hard enough as is with the one hit kills, faster and more aggressive enemies, and limited ammo.

Second, the default sprint time in this game is absolutely horrendous. It's very noticeable and frustrating on Akumu because of the aforementioned faster enemies.

Third, Sebastian sometimes refuses to light a match to burn downed enemies. This is a messed up gameplay mechanic that is only a little annoying on Survival but rage inducing on Akumu since it's so easy to die. Sometimes you press O and he just won't do it despite being nearly on top of a downed enemy. Sometimes I have to press the button multiple times before he does it. Other times he does it instantly with a single press. I don't understand this one, and I also experienced it on the 360 version.

Lastly, the AI partners in this game are awful and need to be babysat so they don't kill themselves and make you fail the mission. Joseph got himself killed so many times in Chapter 6 by running straight into a trap or running towards a huge group of enemies with his axe. This is a problem I never even noticed until I played Akumu. He can die very quickly and it gets old fast having to save him from enemies he runs into, all while being careful you yourself don't get hit and die.

I didn't mean to type this much, but apparently those Akumu woes are still with me even though I haven't touched the game in awhile.

• Like 2

Metal Gear Solid 4

I needed all Emblems for my last song and that means that I was forced to get the Big Boss emblem. Play the game on highest difficulty, don't get caught, kill noone, complete the game in less than 5 hours, don't use continues, don't use healt items, no special items. The worst part is, that you don't know if you killed someone accidentally before you finish the chapter. I replayed some of the chapters because at the end screen it showed me that I killed someone. -.-

The other hard part was the one where noone should see me. On the hardest difficulty the enemies hear and see better. Most of the time I tried to move in slow motion and sometimes they could still hear me. That was so frustrating.

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance

I only platinumed the game because my best friend says that I never get the platinum there. That gave me the motivation to do it and I did it. Getting S ranks on the highest difficulty was a pain in the ass, because I couldn't see the enemies behind me and the game doesn't have an indicator that an enemy behind you is making his move to hit you. In one level some enemies could get to me through the floor and one hitted me. I thought that was just a bug which only occurs this one time but no, it was always so. That showed me, that the game wasn't very well tested.

The VR Missions were horrible.

These were my toughest games in which I got the platinum.

• Like 1

I unfortunately don't just have one really troublesome Platinum Trophy. I'll list them off and the reasons why they were so tough.

Killzone 2: I didn't struggle as badly as I would have, if I was working on the miltiplayer solo. Thankfully I was in a boosting group that made sure we all got that coveted Platinum Trophy. What made this game so troublesome for me, was the main campaign on Elite Difficulty. Your character might as well be wearing paper armour for all the good it does on this difficulty. I bit the bullet more times than I care to remember on this brutal difficulty.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine: I found boosting partners who also had bots or additional consoles/accounts. Together we grinded out all the Online trophies, excluding the DLC. Though I did finish a few of those trophies too. The troublesome part was the grind, the monotonous endless grind for kills, to achieve 40,000 kills across all game modes.Chaos Invasion Arenas did help with the grind, but it was a soul-draining experience.

Resistance 2: The campaign was a cakewalk, it was the online grind that once again, made this trophy so troublesome. Unlike Space Marine, it was only online kills and I am not a great player when it comes to online FPS games. Or at least Resistance 2's. What was worse, is that I got messages from what I can only assume were 12 year olds or people with nothing better to do, criticising my skills. In truth I was just doing the bare basics and getting a 100 kills a day. Grinding out until nearly the last hour, when the servers closed. I believe I got the platinum a month and a bit before the servers shut down.

Surgeon Simulator: This was the most troublesome game of them all. This game made my hands hurt and strained my eyes from the amount of focus and precision that was needed in this game. Bearing in mind this is a goofy physics simulator-type game where you perform delicate invasive surgery. I was stuck on one level for months, getting the highest rank on every surgery was brutal. You have to perform surgery in a moving ambulance and a moving gurney multiple times for different surgeries. It is however one of my proudest platinum trophies, but it was ball-twistingly frustrating to complete this game.

Edited by James_Tonto

Titans Quest for sure. I originally put a lot of time into this game on pc with friends which made going for the plat even worse, yet still, when it came to psn I thought "Why not?".

While the game is still classic and fun for me, it very quickly turns into a slog after the first playthrough, of which there's 3. Plus they all increase in difficulty until the bosses and most mobs can nearly OHK, due to a permanent -100 to all your resistances on the hardest difficulty. I also ended up doing this all solo.

Othercide was great and the aesthetic drew me to it initially, but be warned that the last boss will test your patience. You can somewhat easily cheese it after several retries, or earlier if you follow a guide on building your characters, but I like to go in blind and learn. Without ranting too much, the fight will honestly make you feel like the devs never intended for the final boss to be killable at all, as it's the pure definition of unfair odds. 

And the last I can think of is Thief. The name should hopefully speak for itself. I played it when it first came out and it was full of bugs, ran pretty poorly, and the list itself is pretty damn monotonous. You might enjoy 1 playthrough, 2 if you treat it like Dishonored and try a different approach the second time. But after losing interest more than once, suffering through crashes and corrupt saves, I eventually earned the plat around 3 years later.

Edited by SIate_M