RPG Mania 2021 - Congrats AlterArchuria! (Completed)

Yeah, i looked at my Excel list since @AlterArchuria mentioned black clover. I never posted that game in here because it is not an RPG even though it is listed as one on psnp. It should't count towards my score. 

Similarly with crossing souls which is also not an rpg despite being listed as such. 

Edited by xZoneHunter

"2) To determine what games qualify, it should specify RPG on this site under Genre on this site. There will be instances where some games will have RPG as a genre but have no RPG elements or even actually be an RPG. There will be three websites used to compare between to come to a consensus (PlaystationTrophies.org, PSNProfiles and TrueTrophies)."

I mean this rule is pretty concise in what it says. Some games will have a RPG tag even though they aren't RPGs. The argument that Zelda games and their clones are one have been around for a long time. But they aren't, they are Adventure games (with possibly the exception of Breath of the Wild which was based more in design on Western Open World RPGs). It's come down I believe to what I mentioned before RPG vs RPG-Lite mechanics.

Alot of games could be contested as a RPG just because they contain  mechanics or features usually regulated to RPGs. But it doesn't always make them such. On that same note just because one game might get approved as a RPG doesn't mean every other game like it will too. For example Bloodstained which was scored here while mostly a Metroidvania/Platform Exploration first is typically considered Action-RPGish due to it's gameplay style but wether it's allowed or not doesn't mean other Metroidvania titles for example would be thrown into the same category as well because they're similar enough they should each be separately approved still by Psy.

Further more everyone has their own idea of what is a RPG or not, even the people who log the genres on these sites. We could all find a single game already I bet on each other's lists/scores that probably a couple of us wouldn't agree is a RPG despite it getting approved. In these situations after we already speak our piece, whatever @Psy-Tychist decides on scoring as it's their own competition should be kept. They are supposed to be the defacto voice on what games end up getting scored. And if a reason has already been given for a game being scored or not it should stay as is. We shouldn't need to go back and reanalyze every single game after it's been given the verdict of approved or not.

Edited by Lord_Bane999

Well I haven't posted in a while.

@Psy-Tychist

Looking at the spreadsheet, my points seem to be mostly correct except that Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs: Steam Dungeon is showing up as 0 points

Also my double and triple point games should have been these:

On 1/31/2021 at 1:39 PM, Warpedsavior said:

For my new Double and Triple games:

2x: Star Ocean: First Departure R

2x: Star Ocean: Second Evolution

3x: Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness.

But I might change them soon though.

OK this will be an awkward one for me, so let's try keeping things in order. First off I think we don't double bonus points (speedrun and new game in this case), we just double the base game points. I did the same mistake with Warsaw and didn't spot my mistake without clarification, I didn't know it either.

And it will be really weird trying to cut someone's points off in my current position, but I don't think it should count either. This is an event and contest that revolves around PLAYING games. In this scenario we're looking for the guy or gal playing through the most RPGs and see who ends up winning by the end. Auto-pops completely mess with that concept in my opinion. It takes zero effort in an event about a genre that's infamous for requiring effort.

If auto-pops start being allowed and a regular thing in here... I don't think I will keep going as if everything is normal to be honest. I am aware that this might sound incredibly sour coming from me, but it would just warp this fun little contest into something I don't like any more. I wouldn't drop the mic and demand my name being removed, but I probably would stop updating and planning around for fun. That's not a huge loss to the world, I know, but that's just my honest opinion :P Instead of silently disagreeing in my head I think it's better offering feedback, especially for future events.

Nothing against you personally by the way @TenebraZero. I'm not a fan of auto-pops in general and I think they are out of place here. But that doesn't mean that I'm personally attacking you by any means. Just making sure.

Edited by Jens
  • Like 3

Stacking is not allowed even when the stack might take you 60 hours but autopops that take 1 minute are? If so that's a bit unfair. 
I don't think it should be allowed, but hey if it does then I have the PS5 version of FF ready to go but think that's a bit cheap in a comp like this.

• Like 2

Ok ok guys, calm down i haven' t kill anyone, if it's a problem i'll change the double point game, same thing a with autopop. No problem at all. Same things Will Be applied with cheap RPG with Platinum pop After few hours tough. 

I'll wait for a response of @Psy-Tychist

Edited by TenebraZero

1 hour ago, TenebraZero said:

Ok ok guys, calm down i haven' t kill anyone, if it's a problem i'll change the double point game, same thing a with autopop. No problem at all. Same things Will Be applied with cheap RPG with Platinum pop After few hours tough. 

I'll wait for a response of @Psy-Tychist

Autopop and short games are two very different things so the same thing can't really be applied here ?

Plus it wouldn't have been a issue if u didn't "coincidentally" change it to a double point game to rake up bonuses which I'm speculating, not to mention I'm just going to point out something which you mistaken did was add the speed/NG bonus before the multiplier which there suppose to be added to it after it from how the example shows it so your number is wrong anyways.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlterArchuria said:

Autopop and short games are two very different things so the same thing can't really be applied here 1f914.png

Plus it wouldn't have been a issue if u didn't "coincidentally" change it to a double point game to rake up bonuses which I'm speculating, not to mention I'm just going to point out something which you mistaken did was add the speed/NG bonus before the multiplier which there suppose to be added to it after it from how the example shows it so your number is wrong anyways.

I did not " coincidentally" change by My will, as i written before i changed because i broke My ps3 and My 3 double/triple was on ps3. What the hell is wrong with you guys? 
Did someone stole your favorite Toy?
I have already said that i don’t consider intergrade as a double point bonus(or even good to this contest at all), what else can i do? However i’m not the first One to use autopop in this competition but it doesn’t seem to me that anyone has made a fuss about that.

Edited by TenebraZero

1 hour ago, TenebraZero said:

However i’m not the first One to use autopop in this competition but it doesn’t seem to me that anyone has made a fuss about that.

I can't recall/ was not aware of anyone using the autopop that gives you a plat in under a minute for this comp but I am not always online or checking this topic all the time either.
If it stays I get points if It goes I think it makes sense so either way works for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fisty123 said:

I can't recall/ was not aware of anyone using the autopop that gives you a plat in under a minute for this comp but I am not always online or checking this topic all the time either.
If it stays I get points if It goes I think it makes sense so either way works for me.

I don't want to point the finger, i'm not twelve, but someone have platted 3 remastered in few days, ( likes 3 days) remastered of games of PS3 era. Get a Platinum of a game in 1 day or more it's pretty impossible without importing old saves. Anyway i prefer to end all of this now, @Psy-Tychist please erease my last update post.

19 minutes ago, TenebraZero said:

I don't want to point the finger, i'm not twelve, but someone have platted 3 remastered in few days, ( likes 3 days) remastered of games of PS3 era. Get a Platinum of a game in 1 day or more it's pretty impossible without importing old saves. Anyway i prefer to end all of this now, @Psy-Tychist please erease my last update post.

Just to let you know, if you're referring to Mass Effect then you are mistaken.  You can't even import old saves to auto-pop trophies:

"The developers have made a lot of changes to the game's backend that makes previous saves incompatible with the new version"

Also, from what I understand (and glancing at trophy guides) the Mass Effect games are fairly short experiences and can indeed be platted within 1 day 100% legitimately, which is what the person who played these games did.  Their timestamps reflect they played through the games legitimately too without any auto-popping.  So it's not really impossible.

Edited by Morgana
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Morgana said:

Also, from what I understand (and glancing at trophy guides) the Mass Effect games are fairly short experiences and can indeed be platted within 1 day 100% legitimately, which is what the person who played these games did.  Their timestamps reflect they played through the games legitimately too without any auto-popping.  So it's not really impossible.

This is true, platting the original PS3 versions within a day or is likely impossible (especially for ME1), but the remasters removed the need for multiple play throughs and other more long-winded things - anyone familiar with the games should be able to plat them relatively quickly if they try. 

• Like 1

On 09/06/2021 at 8:30 PM, Morgana said:

Honestly, I don't think auto-pops should count towards any points - and certainly not have an auto-pop count as a double points game.  It's not really in the spirit of the event.

Obviously Psy gets the final say on this but it seems kind of cheap and low effort to me :dunno:

I made a suggestion way early about this on the thought that lists that support save file transfer. They should be still counted but on a honor system, where the person scoring takes a 50 point hit before multipliers. (Having a hit this large would've discouraged it's use for the most part.)

On 10/06/2021 at 9:57 AM, TenebraZero said:

If this is about the ME Legendary Edition someone did. As already stated, PS3 game saves are not transferable to PS4. Furthermore if you looked at their lists you would realize that the PS4 remasters have been broken down to basically just their pure story trophies for their lists and are smaller then the original PS3 lists. Cutting out alot of replays and grinding needed on the original lists.

Doing some callouts finally.

@Warpedsavior gonna give you a headstart on the Star Ocean Series by calling out Star Ocean: First Departure R at 0% (I noticed after selecting you have this as a double point game already, I can suggest something else unless you want to use your free switch on it to another game)

@da_eMTy calling out Torchlight 2 at 37% the game that won't let the term Diablo Clone die

@Arctic Cress wanna see some more love for MMORPGs. So calling out Black Desert at 14%

Edited by Lord_Bane999
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

I made a suggestion way early about this on the thought that lists that support save file transfer. They should be still counted but on a honor system, where the person scoring takes a 50 point hit before multipliers. (Having a hit this large would've discouraged it's use for the most part.)

Obviously we need to wait for Psy to get back from vacation to clear this matter up, but usually with most events and competitions on the forums, cross save auto-pops don't grant any points.  Now I don't think anything was explicitly stated in the rules for this event because there weren't many (any?) RPGs that supported this function, however the PS5 has opened the floodgates with that. 

I am still in the mindset that auto-popped plats should not count for any points.

Just logically looking at the system you suggested, for say Final Fantasy 7 Remake the end result would still mean around 150 points for the auto-pop along with the modifiers (that's excluding any double/triple point bonuses) Now this would mean that a 54 second auto-popped platinum would still worth around the same amount of points as say Persona 5 Strikers which someone has spent a week or two actually playing....it ends up being very discouraging for the people who are spending the time working on their games.

4 hours ago, Morgana said:

Obviously we need to wait for Psy to get back from vacation to clear this matter up, but usually with most events and competitions on the forums, cross save auto-pops don't grant any points.  Now I don't think anything was explicitly stated in the rules for this event because there weren't many (any?) RPGs that supported this function, however the PS5 has opened the floodgates with that. 

I am still in the mindset that auto-popped plats should not count for any points.

Just logically looking at the system you suggested, for say Final Fantasy 7 Remake the end result would still mean around 150 points for the auto-pop along with the modifiers (that's excluding any double/triple point bonuses) Now this would mean that a 54 second auto-popped platinum would still worth around the same amount of points as say Persona 5 Strikers which someone has spent a week or two actually playing....it ends up being very discouraging for the people who are spending the time working on their games.

Yeah I realize that it still isn't perfect but when I made that suggestion I took in consideration save transfers that aren't just auto pops but possibly just early unlocks or less grinding that might shave off like say 15-20 hours off a grind instead do just awarding it flat out.

I'm currently playing Chicory: A Colorful Tale with my fiance and PSNP calls it an RPG. But I would like to blacklist it in this event because it makes absolutely no sense. There's no combat (other than some bosses), you don't gain any experience, you don't skill anything. It's as much of an RPG as The Legend of Zelda is, even less so to be honest.

It's still very nebulous whether this platinum is even doable or not, but with those speedrun / new game points I feel like this could yield a lot of undeserved points :P

Edited by Jens
  • Like 2