RPG Mania 2021 - Congrats AlterArchuria! (Completed)

1 hour ago, Jens said:

I'm currently playing Chicory: A Colorful Tale with my fiance and PSNP calls it an RPG. But I would like to blacklist it in this event because it makes absolutely no sense. There's no combat (other than some bosses), you don't gain any experience, you don't skill anything. It's as much of an RPG as The Legend of Zelda is, even less so to be honest.

It's still very nebulous whether this platinum is even doable or not, but with those speedrun / new game points I feel like this could yield a lot of undeserved points :P

I too am playing it this,
This one comes down to the if you think older Zelda games are RPG or not, it plays like Link to the Past but with less monsters and more item finding and more puzzles and exploring. Of late exploring adventure games are getting sold as RPG some might hate that but its the truth in the current gaming world, you unlock skills but not level them up and this has side quests where Link to the Past does not.
The plat without a guide won't be easy unless they throw up more item finding items like the one to find all the cats at some point in the game hidden chests (Item boxes) are not even visible and make a sound when you walk near them with a faint sparkle, even in game you find people that say you are missing 5 chests in this area but it does not show up on the map. 

PSNP and Steam list it as RPG
PT.org and Sony store list it as Adventure
True Trophies have not got it as anything yet

So in the end for me it comes down to Psy's decision but I would be happy for it to eittjer stay or go, the term RPG has evolved as much as many hate that but this forum has had it's fair share off arguments over what should be an RPG stay or not so I will wait for the final verdict and continue playing it as the game itself is rather fun.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jens said:

I'm currently playing Chicory: A Colorful Tale with my fiance and PSNP calls it an RPG. But I would like to blacklist it in this event because it makes absolutely no sense. There's no combat (other than some bosses), you don't gain any experience, you don't skill anything. It's as much of an RPG as The Legend of Zelda is, even less so to be honest.

It's still very nebulous whether this platinum is even doable or not, but with those speedrun / new game points I feel like this could yield a lot of undeserved points :P

I was just checking out that game last night and believe even on the PSN page it's listed as "Adventure".

How is he game though anyways is it like Scribblenauts level of freedom with how you paint to solve stuff?

• Like 1

@fisty123 I had no idea. I did browse the most recent players, but I must have completely missed your name :o

I don't know dude. The effort would make it worth it, especially with it still rocking zero platinum achievers (and we all know there's always this one guy playing something day and night to be the first achiever). But... there's literally nothing in it I would "need" to call it an RPG. You and I will have the EXACT same character when we are at the same spot in the story. And that defeats the definition of an RPG for me. Other than costumes there's just nothing to change your character's skills and that's like calling a game a Jump&Run without being able to jump.

@Lord_Bane999 I do like it. It looks super cute, it's actually surprisingly funny at times and the puzzles were all alright so far. But there are some technical issues you should be aware of. Give it some time to see where it's going, we all don't know how stable it'll be for now. One time the game crashed so hard on me that I saw the weirdest error notification on my home screen. It looked like it bricked my firmware :D

And no, there aren't really as many free choices as in Scribblenauts. Puzzles mostly revolve around something being colored or not, at least up to the point where I'm currently at. But you can take the time and color everything the way you want and the game will keep it that way, draw some specific pictures when the game asks you to do so, things like that. View it as a 2D Zelda game that has the paintbrush as its main gimmick, that's probably the best comparison I could think of.

@Jens

Game still sounds fun might pick it up enjoy casual puzzle games.

@Psy-Tychist 

I think the three site way is better at confirming games then a group vote. The comparing the sites gives a neutral or unbiased representation of the games being approved. Group voting will always be biased (for or against) and would require everyone to actually be active in the thread to participate as well (which not all of us always are).

4 hours ago, Psy-Tychist said:

@TenebraZero you are allowed to change FF7 Intergrade to another game of your choosing. I don't believe you were wanting to get cheap points from the game as it has been insinuated but the game will score zero points in this competition I am afraid.

Thanks, i change the double point with Tales of Arise.

Edited by TenebraZero
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Warpedsavior said:

I have decided what my new double and triple point games should be:

Triple Point: Touhou Genso Wanderer Reloaded

Oh dear lord, I still have nightmares about that one.  My condolences to you, and best of luck.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Warpedsavior said:

@Psy-Tychist sorry for the inconvenience, but I have decided what my new double and triple point games should be:

Triple Point: Touhou Genso Wanderer Reloaded

Double Point 1: Touhou Labyrinth: Gensokyo to Tenkan no Taiju

Double Point 2: Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk

Before you lock in your new triple point wouldn't Reloaded count as a Most Wanted like the original and already have a multiplier? Or is the newer version easier?

3 hours ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

Before you lock in your new triple point wouldn't Reloaded count as a Most Wanted like the original and already have a multiplier? Or is the newer version easier?

No, the Reloaded version is not a "Most Wanted" version.  It's easier, but that's like saying Mugen Souls Z is easier than the original Mugen Souls, or that Awakened Fate Ultimatum is easier than Guided Fate Paradox.  The originals are a brutal, grindy slog; the "sequels" are simply less brutal and less grindy by comparison to the original but not necessarily as compared to the universe of other RPGs out there.

I had the ridiculous notion at the tail end of RPG Mania 2020 that I could finish Reloaded in a month and squeeze it in for one last score.  It took significantly longer than that with the necessary grinding to do one particular trophy and a lot of help from one very helpful user on the GameFAQs boards.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

Nope, Reloaded wouldn’t count as a Most Wanted. As @acasser said, the Reloaded version is far, far less grindy and suppose to be easier then the vanilla version(thankfully Reloaded doesn’t require all mix and alchemy recipes like the original did), meaning while the original counts for Most Wanted, Reloaded doesn’t have that multiplier attached to it.

Edited by Warpedsavior
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Arctic Cress said:

@Jens called me out a few pages ago so it's only fair that I do the same; my choice from your list is Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot (0%), which is a game I am currently playing and enjoying myself throughout its runtime.

Acceptable and definitely on my to-do list, as all games I put on my profile at 0% :P Once Gaming by Numbers is done for me we should get around to it. By the way, how was the call out I chose for you on a scale from 1 (you hate me now) to 10 (fits right into your existing gaming plans)?

19 hours ago, Jens said:

Acceptable and definitely on my to-do list, as all games I put on my profile at 0% :P Once Gaming by Numbers is done for me we should get around to it. By the way, how was the call out I chose for you on a scale from 1 (you hate me now) to 10 (fits right into your existing gaming plans)?

I think it's around a 7, I don't exactly remember why I stopped playing it in the first place, and I played about a hour just the other day to figure out what I was currently doing in the game (apparently I'm just right after the route split). Though it will probably be after Gaming by Numbers for me as well, because I had planned my number 3 in that event to be, ironically enough, Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot.

• Like 1

On 16/06/2021 at 9:42 AM, acasser said:

No, the Reloaded version is not a "Most Wanted" version.  It's easier, but that's like saying Mugen Souls Z is easier than the original Mugen Souls, or that Awakened Fate Ultimatum is easier than Guided Fate Paradox.  The originals are a brutal, grindy slog; the "sequels" are simply less brutal and less grindy by comparison to the original but not necessarily as compared to the universe of other RPGs out there.

I had the ridiculous notion at the tail end of RPG Mania 2020 that I could finish Reloaded in a month and squeeze it in for one last score.  It took significantly longer than that with the necessary grinding to do one particular trophy and a lot of help from one very helpful user on the GameFAQs boards.

Ah okay thanks for the clarification. I knew it condensed the story trophies but didn't know if it was an any easier then the original outside that.

On 14/06/2021 at 8:37 AM, Jens said:

@fisty123 I had no idea. I did browse the most recent players, but I must have completely missed your name :o

I was playing the PS5 version which has it's own trophy list. Got the plat, was a fun game but it's more adventure then RPG, like I said last week I could attempt to make a case for it being RPG but its more a 2D adventure with minor RPG elements, so happy to leave this one off the list.