RPG Mania 2021 - Congrats AlterArchuria! (Completed)

7 hours ago, Warpedsavior said:

And seeing as Touhou Genso Wanderer is on the list, as that just the original or does it include reloaded? 

I've done a fair amount of digging while playing Reloaded, both on this topic and any number of other things where I've run into the need for external clarification of things.

My understanding is thus:  Reloaded streamlined and shortened a huge number of things and removed a number of the grindier and more aggravating trophies.  It's still a long game, it's still an obnoxious game -- that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it -- but I wouldn't put it in the same tier of brutal as the Most Wanted list games, six of which I've platted.  (For that matter, I don't believe that Cross Edge really ought to be in there, but whatever.)  Reloaded is to the original as Awakened Fate Ultimatum is to Guided Fate Paradox, or as Mugen Souls Z is to the original Mugen Souls.  In short, you're still talking about difficult games that take a while, but they're a pale copy of the original.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Psy-Tychist said:

I have updated the Most Wanted list to have 10 games I think fit the category of time consumimg or difficult.

While I agree with most of the list the two that kinda look like the odd ones out are to me at least Disgaea 4 and RoAW: Zero, while I'm not saying there not both time consuming/difficult themselves but with the latter there is DLC that kinda curbs the grinding and difficulty a bit and Disgaea outside of the rng related things can actually be done fairly quickly compare to the other 8. I would say something like Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics could replace RoAW: 0 and if its something like Disgaea then The Lost Child is easily a good rng test that will make or break you I hear. So really its up to what everyone else thinks about it if anything before times up lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AlterArchuria said:

While I agree with most of the list the two that kinda look like the odd ones out are to me at least Disgaea 4 and RoAW: Zero, while I'm not saying there not both time consuming/difficult themselves but with the latter there is DLC that kinda curbs the grinding and difficulty a bit and Disgaea outside of the rng related things can actually be done fairly quickly compare to the other 8. I would say something like Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics could replace RoAW: 0 and if its something like Disgaea then The Lost Child is easily a good rng test that will make or break you I hear. So really its up to what everyone else thinks about it if anything before times up lol

The issue with Agarest Zero are the trophies for 10,000 kills and 2500 battles.  Those two generally require an excessive amount of mindless grinding once everything else the game has to offer is complete.  It's not a case where DLC does much to help, because by the time you get to having just those two remaining you're powerful enough to smoke almost everything and you can just as easily grind out kills and battles against really easy stuff and even if you could use auto-battle it doesn't really speed things up a whole lot or simplify them.

(It's not like say.... Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness, where you can set up your party a particular way to work on the 1 million Hits BT and let the console run itself for several hours to work towards it.)

20 hours ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

On the terms of sub series I feel these shouldn't be included in the main series for series stacker too. Games like Dissidia Final Fantasy and Chocobo Mystery Dungeon while part of the final fantasy brand are part of their own series of games that exist over multiple systems and games. Dissidia for example has not just the game for PS4 but also from PSP, mobile and arcade all under its branding. (Dissidia depsite the level mechanics is also a 1 on 1 fighting game.)

Chocobos series follows into this same vein. While it's the only game on PS4 it's been an established series since the PS1. While I agree Chocobo is a RPG like other Mystery Dungeon titles I don't feel it should be considered part of the main series since it has its own dedicated series.

This obviously would extend to other things I feel like my own picks for example where I picked two Persona games and SMT 3. While they are all of the larger Shin Megami Tensei brand. Persona is still its own separate series and should be counted as such. As should other games in this sense that went on to become their own series.

While that can apply to certain sub series like Persona and Shin Megami Tensei, I feel that there would be some disagreement for some other series. My personal opinion is that the best way to see if a game applies to the series stacker is to see if PSNP/TrueTrophies considers the game part of said game's series.

16 hours ago, acasser said:

I've done a fair amount of digging while playing Reloaded, both on this topic and any number of other things where I've run into the need for external clarification of things.

My understanding is thus:  Reloaded streamlined and shortened a huge number of things and removed a number of the grindier and more aggravating trophies.  It's still a long game, it's still an obnoxious game -- that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it -- but I wouldn't put it in the same tier of brutal as the Most Wanted list games, six of which I've platted.  (For that matter, I don't believe that Cross Edge really ought to be in there, but whatever.)  Reloaded is to the original as Awakened Fate Ultimatum is to Guided Fate Paradox, or as Mugen Souls Z is to the original Mugen Souls.  In short, you're still talking about difficult games that take a while, but they're a pale copy of the original.

Cool, from what I heard of Reloaded, it has much, much more content then original but less grindy in comparison.

13 hours ago, AlterArchuria said:

From what I heard of The Lost Child, it definitely deserves to be on the list.

For my new Double and Triple games:

2x: Star Ocean: First Departure R

2x: Star Ocean: Second Evolution

3x: Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness.

1 hour ago, Warpedsavior said:

While that can apply to certain sub series like Persona and Shin Megami Tensei, I feel that there would be some disagreement for some other series. My personal opinion is that the best way to see if a game applies to the series stacker is to see if PSNP/TrueTrophies considers the game part of said game's series.

I disagree with this. Just like with tags for genres. Games can grouped into their main series alot depsite having their own, sometimes they can grouped but being spin off titles such as these are marked in the No Stage meaning they aren't considered still generally of the main series. Then there's fact occasionally their may be other series/sub series games that are split from others if we consider these series split it should be the same for all regardless what's on either site.

There's also the fact several games in the Main line Final Fantasy actually have their own series including multiple games (wether or not they are all on the this platform or have trophies). FF IV, FFVII, FFX, FFXII FFXIII, FFXI/FFXIV, FFXV.

Also frankly there is no reason to accept a series stacker I find for a game series that has 22 different trophy lists under its belt excluding all duplicate titles otherwise would be 35. When another game series in atelier has 13 titles compared to their 35 duplicates.

Especially when most series are usually gonna be naturally capped around 3-5 titles. This also doesn't add into the fact some of the FF games include paid dlc or the remasters of the older games have cheats that make he games significantly easier to complete.

Edit: I also own almost all these games on PS4 I will most likely be playing these on this account for the contest. But I don't think there should be any clear advantage to a single person that may own most or all of the games under a series that's so widespread they slap their name on anything regardless if the games are related or not.

Edited by Lord_Bane999

56 minutes ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

I disagree with this. Just like with tags for genres. Games can grouped into their main series alot depsite having their own, sometimes they can grouped but being spin off titles such as these are marked in the No Stage meaning they aren't considered still generally of the main series. Then there's fact occasionally their may be other series/sub series games that are split from others if we consider these series split it should be the same for all regardless what's on either site.

There's also the fact several games in the Main line Final Fantasy actually have their own series including multiple games (wether or not they are all on the this platform or have trophies). FF IV, FFVII, FFX, FFXII FFXIII, FFXI/FFXIV, FFXV.

Also frankly there is no reason to accept a series stacker I find for a game series that has 22 different trophy lists under its belt excluding all duplicate titles otherwise would be 35. When another game series in atelier has 13 titles compared to their 35 duplicates.

Especially when most series are usually gonna be naturally capped around 3-5 titles. This also doesn't add into the fact some of the FF games include paid dlc or the remasters of the older games have cheats that make he games significantly easier to complete.

Edit: I also own almost all these games on PS4 I will most likely be playing these on this account for the contest. But I don't think there should be any clear advantage to a single person that may own most or all of the games under a series that's so widespread they slap their name on anything regardless if the games are related or not.

I think more should chime in on this, as this isn't a clear-cut issue. I feel that games being a spin-off shouldn't disqualify it from counting as part of the series for this event,but that's my personal opinion. As for certain sub series being split off, just because some are split doesn't mean the same should apply to every other series with sub series. Especially considering that some sub series are more closer to their main series then others are to theirs. It's not something that can be seen as all or nothing.

Games like FFX-2, the FFXIII trilogy, the FFIV games, have their own series true, but it can't be denied that it's not split from Final Fantasy, even though they're their own sub series. As for other spin-offs, I feel most of them should count as well. After all, the series stacker is just a series stacker, not a main series stacker or series stacker minus spin-offs.

Naturally some series are going to have more games then others, especially with long running series, like the Tales of series has double the trophy lists that Star Ocean has. Though I'm curious which series you're referring to that has 22 different lists.

Are you referring to DLC like the episodes that FFXV has? Well I see nothing wrong with that. That's just more opportunity for points. If you're talking about DLC that makes the game easier(does Final Fantasy have stuff like that???), well that's up to the individual person's own choice whether to buy and use them or not. For does older remasters, are you talking about FF7-9? Personally, I see nothing wrong with it seeing as there's no stacks without them. For other series like that, I personally see no problem with it. Though I time multiplier would help in that regard.

Some people are naturally going to have a bigger advantage. Some have more time to play in the day, some own more games then others, etc. But the thing is, to get the points, you still need to play the games. Yes some series have more games then others, meaning more series points. Maybe this can be remedied with a cutoff? Like after a certain amount of games, the amount of points given by the series stacker stays the same?

Edited by Warpedsavior
Forgot some words

1 hour ago, Warpedsavior said:

I think more should chime in on this, as this isn't a clear-cut issue. I feel that games being a spin-off shouldn't disqualify it from counting as part of the series for this event,but that's my personal opinion. As for certain sub series being split off, just because some are split doesn't mean the same should apply to every other series with sub series. Especially considering that some sub series are more closer to their main series then others are to theirs. It's not something that can be seen as all or nothing.

Games like FFX-2, the FFXIII trilogy, the FFIV games, have their own series true, but it can't be denied that it's not split from Final Fantasy, even though they're their own sub series. As for other spin-offs, I feel most of them should count as well. After all, the series stacker is just a series stacker, not a main series stacker or series stacker minus spin-offs.

Naturally some series are going to have more games then others, especially with long running series, like the Tales of series has double the trophy lists that Star Ocean has. Though I'm curious which series you're referring to that has 22 different lists.

Are you referring to DLC like the episodes that FFXV has? Well I see nothing wrong with that. That's just more opportunity for points. If you're talking about DLC that makes the game easier(does Final Fantasy have stuff like that???), well that's up to the individual person's own choice whether to buy and use them or not. For does older remasters, are you talking about FF7-9? Personally, I see nothing wrong with it seeing as there's no stacks without them. For other series like that, I personally see no problem with it. Though I time multiplier would help in that regard.

Some people are naturally going to have a bigger advantage. Some have more time to play in the day, some own more games then others, etc. But the thing is, to get the points, you still need to play the games. Yes some series have more games then others, meaning more series points. Maybe this can be remedied with a cutoff? Like after a certain amount of games, the amount of points given by the series stacker stays the same?

That's why there is a point of clarifying this before it starts. Basically as described by your take currently as long as it's benefits your own points then the rules are fine including it. My take is there shouldn't be a huge advantage for any of us that may have more titles in a series then one other person. I don't know what others situations are, what their times or how much money they spend on games per year. By I would like to encourage the rules to reflect that since some people may be still out of work, may be still in lockdowns and maybe can't compete against someone who is encouraging using a series with 20+ games to their own advantage.

Edit: Btw too your the same one who said in response to Kemco Titles that unrelated games shouldn't be grouped together unless they are clearly part of the same series. Alot of Final Fantasy games are unrelated to each other besides sharing the name alone and should be excluded then by the same criteria. I also find it hypocritical you will agree some games have spawned their own series but need to be included all under the general umbrella. While you will sideline other series that do the same.

Edited by Lord_Bane999

1 hour ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

That's why there is a point of clarifying this before it starts. Basically as described by your take currently as long as it's benefits your own points then the rules are fine including it. My take is there shouldn't be a huge advantage for any of us that may have more titles in a series then one other person. I don't know what others situations are, what their times or how much money they spend on games per year. By I would like to encourage the rules to reflect that since some people may be still out of work, may be still in lockdowns and maybe can't compete against someone who is encouraging using a series with 20+ games to their own advantage.

When did I say anything about it being fine as long as it benefits one points? My main opinion is that certain games or spin offs shouldn't suddenly not count just because of the existence of sub series or some sort of arbitrary reason, especially considering it's not always a clear distinction on whether or not it belongs. Besides? How would it be decided whether or not certain games count? Because while one person can say it belongs in a series, another can say it's not. That's why I suggested PSNP and TrueTrophies series list as they can be used to decide. I myself plan to do all the Star Oceans this year, that's a 5 game series list. That's an advantage over someone who does a 3 game series list. What about someone that wants to do the entire Tales of series? They would have an advantage over some one with a 5 game series list. Though I planned on doing all the Star Oceans this year anyways even before the event. I never was planning though on doing like 20+ games in a series(honestly, how many series are like that anyways that are mostly RPGS?) but if someone wants to play a game that's not strictly part of the main series, is it fair to go: 'you don't get any series stacker points because it is it's own sub series'? Again. it's a matter of opinion for that. I mentioned DLC before, and my opinion stays the same. Along with in-game cheats, it should be up to the person who plays the game on whether or not they want to use them.

Plus, is it really a huge advantage? I did offer a potential solution but it's really up to @Psy-Tychist what to do. Plus consider this: Isn't it more impressive to complete a series with 10 games then a series with 3 games? Of course what the games are matter in that question but still.

I don't believe that's the way to go about changing the rules in regards to people's situations. Since well, that doesn't really get rid of the advantage for those that have better situations, just punish those that want to play spin offs.

I also want to hear your opinion on certain games that allow carrying over stuff from other games? Like say Sword Art Online Re: Hollow Fragment allows you to carry over your character from the Vita version. Or a lesser example, how about games that offer benefits by having the save data of the previous game in a series?

EDIT: And then there's the Touhou series, would you consider all RPGs on PSN for series stacker? Or no? Because some of the RPGs are made by entirely different developers. There's the Genso Wanderer games, the pair of Strawberry Bose RPGs(東方蒼神縁起V and 東方幻想魔録W), Touhou: Scarlet Curiosity, Labyrinth of Touhou, 永远消失的幻想乡, etc.

Edited by Warpedsavior

3 hours ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

3 hours ago, Warpedsavior said:

I feel we should be taking last seasons rule which was called Beast Mode.
I never noticed it was changed until now. Last season beast mode only allowed up to 5 games per beast so point bonus did not get out of hand. If you wanted to do 10 Final Fantasy games then your beast mode would be broken up into 2 lots so the bonus points don't enter stupidly high numbers.
This way even if we allow spin off titles the max bonus points per series stacker is not a massive advantage.

Edited by fisty123
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, fisty123 said:

I never noticed it was changed until now. Last season beast mode only allowed up to 5 games per beast so point bonus did not get out of hand. If you wanted to do 10 Final Fantasy games then your beast mode would be broken up into 2 lots so the bonus points don't enter stupidly high numbers.
This way even if we allow spin off titles the max bonus points per series stacker is not a massive advantage.

Yeah, this is good. I’m all for this option.

14 minutes ago, fisty123 said:

6 minutes ago, Warpedsavior said:

Agreed too.

40 minutes ago, Warpedsavior said:

33 minutes ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

Agreed too.

In the end it's up to @Psy-Tychist and Psy might tweak it to a better approach yet, But someone has listed Kingdom Hearts III as their bonus point game yet as not done any Kingdom Hearts games so if they did all them at once get a boost bonus each time and then double or triple or points at the end thats going to be some serious amount of points at the end of it going on the current system.

Side note my timezome is nowhere near this comps timezone but am I right in saying this comp started 30 minutes or so ago?

Edited by fisty123

4 hours ago, fisty123 said:

In the end it's up to @Psy-Tychist and Psy might tweak it to a better approach yet, But someone has listed Kingdom Hearts III as their bonus point game yet as not done any Kingdom Hearts games so if they did all them at once get a boost bonus each time and then double or triple or points at the end thats going to be some serious amount of points at the end of it going on the current system.

Side note my timezome is nowhere near this comps timezone but am I right in saying this comp started 30 minutes or so ago?

Yeah started about the time you posted. I'll personally be starting soon when the date changes over in my timezone. Just keeps it easier for me to track since my trophy times will show up in time. 

• Like 1

The event has begun!

*insert poppers here*

As of 12:01am UTC, we are underway with the competition.

@fisty123, @Warpedsavior and @Lord_Bane999 I removed the Lets Play bonus from the original rules and was just using the series stacker as a base for series which are classed as RPG on PSNP. If everyone would prefer a cap on the amount of games allowed or would prefer a metered points system (eg instead of doubling points like 25, 50, 100 etc and having the original which was increments of 25) I will look into changing the rules back. It is still early after all.

In relation to series that count and spin offs, I can only go by what is included on the website as that will have a more concrete answer than myself. If a series has games included, then it will count as long as they are or tagged as RPG.

Edit: Behold and Empty Spreadsheet! : https://1drv.ms/x/s!AlxWIbnVkK3JhgiO3XWeg2VR35eh?e=cfi9je

Edited by Psy-Tychist

2 hours ago, Psy-Tychist said:

The event has begun!

*insert poppers here*

As of 12:01am UTC, we are underway with the competition.

@fisty123, @Warpedsavior and @Lord_Bane999 I removed the Lets Play bonus from the original rules and was just using the series stacker as a base for series which are classed as RPG on PSNP. If everyone would prefer a cap on the amount of games allowed or would prefer a metered points system (eg instead of doubling points like 25, 50, 100 etc and having the original which was increments of 25) I will look into changing the rules back. It is still early after all.

In relation to series that count and spin offs, I can only go by what is included on the website as that will have a more concrete answer than myself. If a series has games included, then it will count as long as they are or tagged as RPG.

Edit: Behold and Empty Spreadsheet! : https://1drv.ms/x/s!AlxWIbnVkK3JhgiO3XWeg2VR35eh?e=cfi9je

I think the increments of 25 would be fine.

The other thing could do if wanted to double it where we use the site series tracker but depending how many games they have completed of that series they get bonus points at certain intervals.

So three games completed gets you 100 points on the third game completed. When you hit 6 games completed in a series you get 200. It's like your original suggestion but it's stretched out some where we earn the points so it's not going to insanely high numbers way to early.

Basically 3rd game 100 bonus points, 6th 200, 9th 400, etc. Gives a decent bonus for completing multiple games still if someone did this but without going into ridiculously high territory. (Currently the 9th game completed in a large series would get a whopping 3200 for example).

When reading through the last pages im worried about what games counts for this Event...I thought if any of the free sites consider them as RPGs they count. But before starting them I would like to get a answer from you guys ^^

Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning

Valthirian Arc: Hero School Story

Monster Sanctuary

Nexomon: Extinction

Maneater

Sakuna: of Rice and Ruin

Thanks guys!

46 minutes ago, da_eMTy said:

When reading through the last pages im worried about what games counts for this Event...I thought if any of the free sites consider them as RPGs they count. But before starting them I would like to get a answer from you guys ^^

Monster Sanctuary

Maneater

Thanks guys!

Basically as was described on the first page if it has RPG on here cross reference with the other side to see if they include it as well.

All of those I believe are RPGs only ones I don't know are Sakuna and Maneater.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, da_eMTy said:

Monster Sanctuary

Maneater

Thanks guys!

Rule of Thumb: If it says RPG as it's genre on here, it most likely will count. If you are unsure, I'm using TrueTrophies and and Playstationtrophies.org as comparisons to make sure.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, da_eMTy said:

Monster Sanctuary

Maneater

Thanks guys!

I would suggest this as well:  When in doubt, just pop into this thread and ask for confirmation.

The only one of those six that I've played is Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning, which I completed during the 2020 event.  That's absolutely an RPG.  But I'd also suggest keeping backup saves as you go while doing that one because the re-master is a truly authenic port.  Which means the bugs remained intact and that can cause you a problem (or three) with certain trophies if you get the wrong glitch at the wrong time.