RPG Mania 2021 - Congrats AlterArchuria! (Completed)

On 24/03/2021 at 4:24 PM, Psy-Tychist said:

I will allow you to join if you still want to come aboard. My one time offer lasts until the end of March.

If this generous offer if open to anyone, I'd like to make a last minute (late) entry! I was kind of sad when I realised I had forgotten to sign up...

If that's ok, for my bonus games -

• Double: Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (PS3)
  • Double: Final Fantasy XIII
  • Triple: Natural Doctrine

Just a quick update, been focused on other events and other systems, but I am presently working on Tales of Hearts R and it's going pretty good.  Really good game, kind of generic towns but otherwise pretty good.  Also thinking about picking Ni No Kuni II back up after not playing for a few weeks.  I'll update when one is done.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leon Castle said:

No it's a Adventure game like most of the Single Player Star Wars games on Playstation is.

I can understand the confusion on it though. Even though it's an Adventure game like other Soulbornes titles, (Dark Souls, Nioh, etc.) They are all usually classified as an RPG too. In honesty the only thing it's missing from them is regular equipment.

But it's also not classified as a RPG on any site unlike them. ??‍♂️

Game #5 done, just finished Ys: Memories of Celceta, my second x2 game and second Ys game as well.

100 + 40(B) + 18(S) + 12(G) - 8.67 = 161.33

161.33 X 2 + 25 = 347.66

With that my minimum goal has been reached, finishing all x2 and x3 games I've nominated. That was wayyy faster than I thought :P So yeah, now I'll just play it by ear I guess. It won't be one RPG after the other for the whole year, it just happened to fit into my little RPG-backlog-purge. I won't end this contest with 5 digits :D

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

I can understand the confusion on it though. Even though it's an Adventure game like other Soulbornes titles, (Dark Souls, Nioh, etc.) They are all usually classified as an RPG too. In honesty the only thing it's missing from them is regular equipment.

But it's also not classified as a RPG on any site unlike them. ?1f3fb.png‍♂️

You should quote @TenebraZero as it was their question not my question.

On 3/30/2021 at 3:58 AM, Jens said:

I can see why you did that while I was asleep, you coward! Will do!

Calling you out is a little more difficult, you barely have anything unfinished on your profile, ya weirdo... But since you're strolling around like a proud goose since getting your hands on a PS5... I'll call you out doing Demon's Souls' remake on it @Briste!

Not that there's a lot of other things to play on it just yet :P

I'm still waiting for it to arrive in the mail, but I did buy Demon's Souls along with it so challenge accepted! I was hoping to do a Soulsbourne series run towards the end of the summer/beginning of fall, so now I will just start at the very beginning!

Okey-dokey...game number two came up faster than I intended lol The trophy I was planning on delaying the pop for my platinum rain, popped before I was expecting it to, which caused the plat to pop earlier than I was expecting it to. Fell Seal: Aribter's Mark is a nice little turn-based, isometric RPG in the spirit of a Final Fantasy Tactics. It also had a DLC pack that I completed and I had the 3rd fastest completion time at just over a week (only 822 game owners and only 37 100% it). Friendly tip...anyone looking for a relaxing RPG experience with bonus points up for grabs, this game could easily be done in just a few days. I beat it in just over a week without really trying. For now, I'll enjoy the bonus :) 

Main game:

100 + 28*1(b) + 12*2(s) + 3*6(g) - 19.22 (rarity) = 150.78

DLC:

8*1(b) + 2*2(s) = 12

Bonus:

3rd fastest completion time: 50

Total game points: 212.78

Quick question, would Slay the Spire be considered an RPG? It's a rogue-like card game with RPG elements, however there are no tags assigned to it here. I did start it before the event and got all the bronze trophies and 1 silver trophy prior to February 1st. It ended up being 36% completed and I'd like to use it for the competition if allowed. I feel like it is an RPG, but would rather have some other people who have played it weigh in. I'm saving the last trophy for my rain day, but it is completed. If it were to count...

Main game:

100 + 0*1(b) + 16*2(s) + 2*6(g) - 5.80(rarity) - 15 (36% complete) = 123.20

DLC:

1*2(s) = 2

Total game points: 125.20

Also I highly recommend StS....it is a ton of fun.

Edited by Briste
  • Like 3

On 30/03/2021 at 11:26 AM, Hisuiryu said:

If this generous offer if open to anyone, I'd like to make a last minute (late) entry! I was kind of sad when I realised I had forgotten to sign up...

If that's ok, for my bonus games -

• Double: Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (PS3)
  • Double: Final Fantasy XIII
  • Triple: Natural Doctrine

Well, as you have replied and I apologise for not getting back sooner, you can join the competition :) I will add you at the next update.

On 04/04/2021 at 8:11 PM, TenebraZero said:

Hey guys, Is Star Wars Jedi fallen order an RPG? 

Like those who have replied in the thread, it's classed as an Action or Adventure game with some RPG type elements.

15 hours ago, Briste said:

Quick question, would Slay the Spire be considered an RPG? It's a rogue-like card game with RPG elements, however there are no tags assigned to it here. I did start it before the event and got all the bronze trophies and 1 silver trophy prior to February 1st. It ended up being 36% completed and I'd like to use it for the competition if allowed. I feel like it is an RPG, but would rather have some other people who have played it weigh in. I'm saving the last trophy for my rain day, but it is completed. If it were to count...

I've seen it being played and I liken it to Hand of Fate which is more of a dungeon crawler collectible card game. Sadly, from what I have read, it's more a strategy game than anything else, so it can't be classed as an RPG.

I know someone asked about the Watch Dogs series and they are all classed as Open World Action games, a lot like the newer Far Cry games, or even the GTA series. 

Everyone should be updated by the end of the day.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Psy-Tychist said:

I've seen it being played and I liken it to Hand of Fate which is more of a dungeon crawler collectible card game. Sadly, from what I have read, it's more a strategy game than anything else, so it can't be classed as an RPG.

While the subject seems open here.... are the Hand of Fate games considered RPGs for the purposes of this competition or not?  (I purchased both games during the Indies sale last month.)  The trophy lists on this site consider the answer "yes".  The listings over at GameFAQs say "no".  And the listings over at PST.org are split, with one being listed as "card / board" and the other being listed as an RPG.

It seems awfully confusing to me trying to interpret all these tea leaves, so I'd appreciate a clarification and firm judgment.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, TenebraZero said:

Series stack bonus applies also to series with only 2 games?

To directly quote from the scoring rules in the very first post of this thread:  "A game in a series of more than 3 games is worth an increasing amount of points with each game you complete in the related series and that counts as an RPG."

So if I had to guess, the answer here is "no".

On 07/04/2021 at 1:48 AM, acasser said:

While the subject seems open here.... are the Hand of Fate games considered RPGs for the purposes of this competition or not?  (I purchased both games during the Indies sale last month.)  The trophy lists on this site consider the answer "yes".  The listings over at GameFAQs say "no".  And the listings over at PST.org are split, with one being listed as "card / board" and the other being listed as an RPG.

It seems awfully confusing to me trying to interpret all these tea leaves, so I'd appreciate a clarification and firm judgment.

Well, as it says RPG on PSNP and TT, majority says it will count. Although playing it, it's tenuous at best. Its a CCG with Action-RPG elements, but I'm not the one submitting the genres.

On 08/04/2021 at 0:02 AM, TenebraZero said:

@Psy-Tychist Series stack bonus applies also to series with only 2 games?

No, it has to have a minimum of 3 games to count as a series.

What makes Soul Sacrifice Delta different from the original?

@Eternal_Rach Good to get on the board. I know that Mugen Souls is stupidly long to complete, congrats will be due when you finish it.

13 hours ago, Psy-Tychist said:

No, it has to have a minimum of 3 games to count as a series.

What makes Soul Sacrifice Delta different from the original?

Ok i see, in this case my total points are 842.24

Soul sacrifice delta is basically the same game as the vanilla with a lot of implementations: new archfiends(boss) , new difficulty(up to lv 15), 3 factions to choose from and a new final boss. The main storyline is the same as the old version.

EDIT

I would like to play Immortal Rising Fenyx now that all the DLC's are out. Is this game an Adventure or an RPG like? it count towards the score?

Edited by TenebraZero

9 hours ago, TenebraZero said:

I would like to play Immortal Rising Fenyx now that all the DLC's are out. Is this game an Adventure or an RPG like? it count towards the score?

I was going to ask about this one at one point, The sites list is as an adventure but most game websites and reviewers list it as an Action RPG adventure,

Edited by fisty123

12 hours ago, TenebraZero said:

Ok i see, in this case my total points are 842.24

Soul sacrifice delta is basically the same game as the vanilla with a lot of implementations: new archfiends(boss) , new difficulty(up to lv 15), 3 factions to choose from and a new final boss. The main storyline is the same as the old version.

EDIT

Basically a "lite version" of Assassin's Creed Odyssey mixed with the puzzle and item mechanics of breath of the wild.