RPG Mania 2021 - Congrats AlterArchuria! (Completed)

Interested in Joining. 

Double Point Game 1:

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth

Double Point Game 2:

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: Hacker's Memory

Triple Point Game: 

Digimon World: Next Order

Checklist Before Feb 1st:

Spoiler

Penny-Punching Princess 94%

Spellspire Vita 88%

Reverie • NA PS4 46%

Natural Doctrine 40 %

Shiren The Wanderer 37%

The Adventure Pals 36%

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 24%

God Eater 2: Rage Burst 23%

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth 20%

One More Dungeon • NA  Vita 20%

Gal*Gun Double Peace • NA 20%

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age 17%

Steins;Gate • NA 16%

Revenant Saga 16%

Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters Daybreak: Special Gigs • NA 15%

Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention • NA 14%

Devious Dungeon 2 • NA PS4 14%

The Count Lucanor 12%

Doom & Destiny 12%

Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas 11%

Final Fantasy XV • NA 10%

Spellspire PS4 10%

One More Dungeon PS4 10%

SteamWorld Heist 10%

Super Cane Magic Zero • EU 8%

Mary Skelter: Nightmares • EU 8%

Monster Hunter World 8%

Toukiden 2 8%

Valhalla Knights 3 7%

Darkest Dungeon 7%

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy • NA 6%

Tales of Symphonia 5%

Fallen Legion: Sins of an Empire 5%

Knights of Pen and Paper +1 5%

Ara Fell: Enhanced Edition 5%

Ninjin: Clash of Carrots 5%

Dragon Quest Heroes II 5%

inFamous 4%

Infinite Adventures 4%

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment 4%

Dark Souls 4%

Edited by Kishnabe
  • Like 1

I like to join this year RPG Mania. My Double point games and Triple point game will be Utawarerumono trilogy(the 1st/Prelude to the Fallen being my Triple point game while the sequels will be my Double point games)

Triple point: Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen

Double point 1: Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception

Double point 2: Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth

Also like to mention @TenebraZero that likes to sign up.

• Like 3

Thanks to @Psy-Tychist for taking on the torch. I look forward to seeing how this year plays out. I am glad that there is still a following that it is going to continue on. I am going to participate. It will be interesting to be on the other side of this. And yes, I do love my RPG's, I always have. From my first one, Dragon Warrior for NES to the latest blockbuster. I think this year I can make some good things happen. I will let you know later what my bonus games are, so many to choose from...

• Like 1

I'd like to join up for this please

Triple Point Game:  Dark Rose Valkyrie

Double Point Game 1:  God Wars: Future Past

Double Point Game 2:  Persona 4 Golden

I'm just curious if there will be any changes to the point scoring now this is under new ownership?  I was thinking about a time modifier, so that longer games (specifically thinking of things like Star Ocean 4) are worth more points.  If not it's all cool, but thought I'd throw that suggestion out there.

Edited by Mesopithecus
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mesopithecus said:

I'm just curious if there will be any changes to the point scoring now this is under new ownership?  I was thinking about a time modifier, so that longer games (specifically thinking of things like Star Ocean 4) are worth more points.  If not it's all cool, but thought I'd throw that suggestion out there.

It is up to the new owner but it was hard to get people to agree last time it was brought up. There were two methods that were brought up. 

@eigen-space came up with one using the 25th percentile.

You'd just look at the number of platinum achievers and do the 25th percentile. So if there are 1000 platinum achievers, you'd look at the time for the 250th fastest time. If there are 2000 achievers, you would use the 500th fastest time. 

0-1 Day - x0.1
1-2 Days - x0.5
2-7 Days - x1
7-14 Days - x1.5
14-30 Days - x2
30+ Days - x3

or you can set up a tier system that uses a certain hour blocks like 20. It is based of the time found on the guides on an approved site such as PSNP or PST. 

Those were the thoughts in RPG Mania version 1. but no one could agree so it was left out. 

16 minutes ago, Mesopithecus said:

Yes, I think the scoring could use some adjustments. Some suggestions:

Taking into account length would be nice, although hard to do objectively. My thought (which I haven't really looked into in practice) would be to use the time from a trophy guide (or the "Main + Extra" time listed on https://howlongtobeat.com/ if there's no guide) and award points in 40 hour increments past the first 40 hours. So a game that was 41-79 hours would be +50 points, 80-119 would be +100 points, etc., for example. This would also reduce the big impact DLC has on scores.

For the speed bonus, I'd recommend using a flat percentage rather than finishing in the top 25 as this really penalizes those playing games that have been around a while and have been popular. Finishing in the top 25 in Skyrim, for example, means being in the top .07% of times. By comparison, there are lots of less popular games where it's kind of trivial to be in the top 25.

The list of Let's Play games is really arbitrary. If there's going to be a bonus to promote those games, I don't think it should be a x2 multiplier (and it definitely shouldn't stack with other multipliers). +50 seems good enough, to be honest.

• Like 3

I’m also in favor of there being a time bonus. Maybe a small multiplier? Like maybe an extra 10-20% points for every time increment? Maybe 15-25 hours increments? It’s just an idea for now. 

Honestly, I wouldn’t mind at all if the bonuses for Let’s Play games were removed, though I would have no problem at all if they were kept in. Changing the modifier as cckerberos suggested seems like a good idea.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Warpedsavior said:

Honestly, I wouldn’t mind at all if the bonuses for Let’s Play games were removed, though I would have no problem at all if they were kept in. Changing the modifier as cckerberos suggested seems like a good idea.

I agree with this, it seems like a lot of the Let's Play threads are largely inactive with the exception of a small number of people that still post.  Looks like the only ones on the first page of the sub-forum are Mugen Souls and Yakuza.

As for scoring, I'm happy to use any metric whether it be from the 25th percentile or taking the times from trophy guides/how long to beat.  Adding a time bonus only actually occurred to me seeing all your Star Ocean games, as I feel spending 400 hours on that should be worth more.

• Like 1

I'm up for a second go-round at this competition.  Though I'm pretty certain I won't do nearly so well in the sequel:  my backlog pile has shrunk by a dramatic amount, and I do want to try and get back to some incomplete (non-RPG) games on my trophy list to try and finish them up.

I'll figure out my double and triple score games later, once I have an idea of what I might be playing in the next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mesopithecus said:

As for scoring, I'm happy to use any metric whether it be from the 25th percentile or taking the times from trophy guides/how long to beat.  Adding a time bonus only actually occurred to me seeing all your Star Ocean games, as I feel spending 400 hours on that should be worth more.

Yeah, any time bonus would be appreciated. I mean not having a time bonus didn’t stop me from doing Mugen Souls back during the first RPGmania ?, but I feel that longer games should be worth more then shorter games.

• Like 1

I'll sign up again.

Still have issues with things like Beast mode as that was basically the killer for the previous season but ah well.

Let's play bonuses hurt as I've done a lot of them already but I get why they are there.

Double point game #1: Ys Origin
Double point game #2: Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness
Triple point game: Conception PLUS: Maidens of the Twelve Stars

Edited by fisty123
  • Like 1

Couple questions.

First is a new release title coming this year allowed for a triple or double point game?

Second I noticed that in series samples you had mentioned Warriors (One Piece specifically) and Yakuza series, my question is how far do we take the RPG genre label? If certain games from those series are included would other action-adventure games with skills that can be leveled be included then by proxy?

I have a huge backlog of RPGs I'm planning to play this year but wanna just confirm what may make some RPG-Lite titles as an entry.

P.S. Thanks for bringing this up again this year I missed out on the deadline for last year.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

Second I noticed that in series samples you had mentioned Warriors (One Piece specifically) and Yakuza series, my question is how far do we take the RPG genre label? If certain games from those series are included would other action-adventure games with skills that can be leveled be included then by proxy?

You're absolutely right that there's no reason why Yakuza 3 is an RPG yet Yakuza 4 isn't. Or why Ghost of Tsushima isn't an RPG but God of War is.

As I understand it, the rationale behind using PSNP's genre labelling was to have an objective, clear-cut list of what did and did not count so as to avoid arguments. I can see the benefit of that, even if it means that some outliers make it in.

IMHO, including other games on the basis of having them having leveled skills would stretch an already nebulous genre past the breaking point.

1 hour ago, cckerberos said:

You're absolutely right that there's no reason why Yakuza 3 is an RPG yet Yakuza 4 isn't. Or why Ghost of Tsushima isn't an RPG but God of War is.

As I understand it, the rationale behind using PSNP's genre labelling was to have an objective, clear-cut list of what did and did not count so as to avoid arguments. I can see the benefit of that, even if it means that some outliers make it in.

IMHO, including other games on the basis of having them having leveled skills would stretch an already nebulous genre past the breaking point.

Honestly the only couple games I can think from either series being a RPG is Yakuza Like A Dragon (RPG styles stats and various classes) then One Piece Unlimited World Red and One Piece World Seeker, which depsite having Warriors/Beat'em Up style combat still are made to be more Action RPG in design.

Edited by Lord_Bane999

Gotta say i also agree with cckerberos that the Let's Play multiplier part needs to be toned down since that multiplier combined any of the other ones makes it kinda too much and some games especially ones with DLC which could easily be almost a half to whole game total when multiplied, so it being a fixed number would be a more better solution really then having one game be like 5+ game worth. Not to mention given how some people might have already done the LP games so having it be a fixed number over a multiplier would make the competition a little more competitive since the gap would be smaller making it possible to catch up since nothing is worse then seeing 300+ points done with ease with some of those LP games since its basically a free double multiplier. I'm all in for the time modifier to be in it if possible but also I'm curious how will the call out thing be this time since as we seen with the last event it was done once and then nothing was heard of it again, so will we be doing it again and maybe will a more time based timer to finish the game in question before moving on to the next bracket or just we will remove/change it as well?

My opinion is that the call-out bonus ought simply to be discarded as left as a one-time idea that was better on the drawing board than in implementation.  The people who are most likely to do whatever game is called out for them are probably the same people who already will play a fair number of games and have an advantage that way.

I'd like to join! I plan on playing tons of RPG's this year so this'll work out nicely. I have no opinion on the rules and will just have fun racking up points however they come. I've already done the 'Let's play's' of the game series I think I'd play but that's fine. Should have saved my Kingdom Hearts marathon for this year lol however I'm think of trying to tackle the Dragon Age series and also the Soulsbourne series as well. We'll see if I have the stamina for all that or if I mix in some other stuff. Thanks for hosting!

I'll make Dragon Age: Origins my triple point game and Dragon Age II and Dragon Age: Inquisition my double point games.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, acasser said:

My opinion is that the call-out bonus ought simply to be discarded as left as a one-time idea that was better on the drawing board than in implementation.  The people who are most likely to do whatever game is called out for them are probably the same people who already will play a fair number of games and have an advantage that way.

I agree on this especially since an opponent could callout a game they know they have a time advantage on. Most RPGs are probably around 40-60 hour average completion time. With some games that people I'm seeing people choose already more into the 80-120 hour average due to grinding. Some countries like my own are going into full lockdown again some people are not working others will be still or more then usual.

The callout seems nice on paper as mentioned above. But when you factor in these current variables the person calling out would most likely have an advantage as they would probably know exactly how much time they have to complete it fast. While the person getting challenged would now to need reverse throttle to plan out to times to beat it a game they weren't prepping for or worse trying to fit a 100hr game into a couple weeks they may only be able to spend 50hrs at most between the two.

Edited by Lord_Bane999

7 hours ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

The callout seems nice on paper as mentioned above. But when you factor in these current variables the person calling out would most likely have an advantage as they would probably know exactly how much time they have to complete it fast. While the person getting challenged would now to need reverse throttle to plan out to times to beat it a game they weren't prepping for or worse trying to fit a 100hr game into a couple weeks they may only be able to spend 50hrs at most between the two.

I think you may be misunderstanding how the callout works. It's just one player challenging another to complete a particular game in their backlog. It isn't a competition between the two people to see who can complete the game first.

17 hours ago, cckerberos said:

I think you may be misunderstanding how the callout works. It's just one player challenging another to complete a particular game in their backlog. It isn't a competition between the two people to see who can complete the game first.

"Call Out Bonus: A competitor will choose a played or unplayed game from your backlog to complete. This will be another times 3 opportunity.  

he call out bonus will be assigned by bracket after the 2.0 begins. The two people competing can use each others profile backlog, or trophy checklist if one is available.  Completing the game gets a times three bonus added to the game."

Idk this makes it seem like a competition. Otherwise how else would you stop another player from claiming the free bonus you give them? It would essentially make a callout have zero reason for use if the challengee player gets a free bonus for completing the game with really no gain by the challenger.