Toxic Players

Armymed101

On 1/12/2021 at 4:43 PM, sh4d0wzcs said:

First time playing online games?

I mean.... I played Rocket League over the span of 3 years and hit high Diamond in comp. It was probably the most toxic game I have played and you were flamed more the higher your rank.

Hell...... I was not a saint myself. When you play comp, people get passionate about rising the ranks and of you make a mistake you get feedback. Same as for any online game. I play a heap of comp Overwatch, it's no different. People spam quick chat all the time or call you all sorts of names. 

I suppose my point is, no matter what you play online, it'll be toxic. Either learn to ignore it and tune out or don't play that game any more. The best option would be to use your anger or frustration to play better and prove them wrong. 

Honestly, I've started fully disabling voice chat in any online game I play with randoms. Overwatch, for instance, is almost a Zen-like meditative experience once you disable VC and put on Spotify. It's just much more enjoyable. I play games to have a good time, and I avoid competitive modes like the plague, so there's really no need for me to stress myself out by listening to people take out their inability to afford therapy on my innocent ears.

29 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

this is completely false...we need a balance in this world...no love without hate...haha...just saying...

"There can be no good without evil" is a very clever little saying, very nice way to spice up a mediocre plot, but it's not actually true. There are plenty of communities that manage to be civil and courteous towards one another. Besides that, how much love do you see in the world right now? How loving is the COVID-19 outbreak, or the months of sustained protests against police brutality in the US? People need more love and less hate, if anything. If you want to go with an asinine, "but what about the balance!" metaphor, the balance needs to be restored by cracking down on hate, majorly.

56 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

They get a rise out of people. Like you’re doing now. If no one reacted to them and stopped giving them exactly what they want, they’d stop. 

And? If someone's shitting on the floor in the middle of a restaurant, I don't give a fuck if they're just doing it to annoy people, I care about the fact that they're shitting on the floor. Does your approach to moderation consist of shrugging your shoulders and saying, "well, no need to do anything about spammers, since they're only doing it to annoy people, and if nobody was annoyed, they wouldn't do it?"

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Honestly, I've started fully disabling voice chat in any online game I play with randoms. Overwatch, for instance, is almost a Zen-like meditative experience once you disable VC and put on Spotify. It's just much more enjoyable. I play games to have a good time, and I avoid competitive modes like the plague, so there's really no need for me to stress myself out by listening to people take out their inability to afford therapy on my innocent ears.

"There can be no good without evil" is a very clever little saying, very nice way to spice up a mediocre plot, but it's not actually true. There are plenty of communities that manage to be civil and courteous towards one another. Besides that, how much love do you see in the world right now? How loving is the COVID-19 outbreak, or the months of sustained protests against police brutality in the US? People need more love and less hate, if anything. If you want to go with an asinine, "but what about the balance!" metaphor, the balance needs to be restored by cracking down on hate, majorly.

And? If someone's shitting on the floor in the middle of a restaurant, I don't give a fuck if they're just doing it to annoy people, I care about the fact that they're shitting on the floor. Does your approach to moderation consist of shrugging your shoulders and saying, "well, no need to do anything about spammers, since they're only doing it to annoy people, and if nobody was annoyed, they wouldn't do it?"

Here's a solution Armymed, I'm gonna block this mentally  dangerous but still harmless without a group  clown, who thinks his/her team are the good guys  and the others "evil".

I urge you to do the same on RL, blocking directly people without having to put up with anything you dislike, your gaming quality will improve.

On 1/11/2021 at 11:13 PM, Armymed101 said:

Why does it never seem to fail that we have some of the most toxic players at night? I swear when I play during the day, USA CT, I have hard working teammates. But at night? Nope. The actual teamwork dies and angry children play. It really ruins the fun sometimes... Maybe it's just me

It's because children are generally at school during the day. The most toxic people tend to be children.

Also, even adults tend to be more wound up at night after a long day at work. People playing in the middle of the day either have no responsibilities or are off work. So they're more likely to be more relaxed and less on edge. Which causes people to be more rational.

Edited by ExHaseo
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

"There can be no good without evil" is a very clever little saying, very nice way to spice up a mediocre plot, but it's not actually true. Besides that, how much love do you see in the world right now? How loving is the COVID-19 outbreak, or the months of sustained protests against police brutality in the US? People need more love and less hate, if anything. If you want to go with an asinine, "but what about the balance!" metaphor, the balance needs to be restored by cracking down on hate, majorly.

haha...i see that we disagree and that's fine...I actually believe in having a certain balance as being necessary to our world...i like the ideas of ying/yang and karma...and yes, I do see lots of beauty and love all around me on a daily basis but I guess that's the kind of life I've chosen...I'd even say that your has a certain beauty to it since it seemed to be genuine and that you expressed exactly what was on your mind and I can appreciate that...

with regards to covid and protests...I think we've seen the best of some people and the worst of some people and have also seen some drastic changes in our living situations, in some cases for the better, and in others for the worse...I think these types of challenges lead to a lot of potential reflection, reaction, and a variety of discussions relating to our evolution as a species...

in an attempt to be on topic, I think the type of person who goes into an online game to be intentionally counter productive and the person who then goes on to complain about it on an unrelated internet forum both wishing the other didn't exist are kinda like two sides of the same coin...both fueled by the same kind of emotion...kinda interesting imo...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

There are different approaches in different situations. No need to have black and white blanket rules and extrapolate such broad statements when I was talking about people being belligerent in Rocket League. 

Edited by DaivRules

Most of us are old enough to know and have seen toxic behavior in online gaming. 

Tried League of Legends and DOTA 2 a long time ago. Gave up on the games because of the utter filth and attitude many gamers were expressing. 

Kids nowadays are being suckered into games like Overwatch and Fortnite, generally without any parental supervision. When I was a teenager the biggest MMOs were Everquest and Ultima Online. Never got around to playing either. 

When you go on extremely popular games like Grand Theft Auto V and Fortnite, you will find a lot of idiots. The more people. the more idiots. I’ve run into my share of kids in GTA Online, enough to where I never want to touch it again. 

I just prefer single player. A lot less stressful, I can do everything at my own pace, and I’m not being forced by a team of morons to be a certain DPS. World of Warcraft scarred me to the point where paying $15 a month just to get screamed at by randoms had me going ‘I will never go back’.

It’s not just kids. Plenty of people well in their 30s, 40s and 50s who are every bit as despicable online as many kids I’ve come across.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

Just ignore the toxic players. Turn off the mic and don't reply to the chat back if there is a toxic message. After the match, report on them.
Just be sure that you play at the right time. I made a lot of good friends in that way.

Every time when I played with a toxic team, they always called me 'noob' or 'bad team' while I played well enough (I scored a few times while they scored zero). It's just they knew that they were so bad and didn't want to make themselves look like a noob, so they started to bully on me and pinned on me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fugoha said:

Just ignore the toxic players. Turn off the mic and don't reply to the chat back if there is a toxic message. After the match, report on them.

Exactly.

If everyone did this, every single time without exception, online would be a much nicer place for everyone.

I think some people feel bad about doing this, because they don't want to think of themselves as a taddle-tail, but using the report functions is not like 'snitching' - you aren't just grassing someone up for no reason.

It's more like tidying up a communal kitchen. Dull, boring, but necessary so that everyone can cook and not get sick.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There's one guy who said that our team was toxic while I was trying to get Weekly Challenges done. That's just pathetic. Also, I have lag issues in the Online and more online people are extremely overpowered against me that makes the 100% even harder. Speaking of 100%, I got so close as well as I have 21 trophies left including the platinum.

It will be best to ignore these guys

Edited by DaivRules

On 12/1/2021 at 8:39 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Nowadays, going online in games is like going into a toxic environment.

If you are going to do it at all, take precautions:

*Mute all players, ALWAYS.

*Turn off all messages from non-friends.

*Never friend anyone you don't know.

*Never become 'good-friends' with anyone.

*Never turn on a mic.

*Assume everyone is a cnut, and try to steel yourself against any behaviour coming your way.

*Screenshot anything you see that gets through, and report everything. - If possible, save it to report at the best possible time. (For example, if the messages you get are in something like Call of Duty, save the message, then report it just before the release of the next game, so any temporary ban will affect the perpetrator at the most inconvenient time.)

Just typing to say that this, sir, is my daily routine in GTA online ?

I don't have any interest in Rocket leauge, but toxic people are everywhere, unfortunately. 

• Like 1

You just have to kill them with kindness. In my experience as I've gotten older, and this is especially true with Rocket League, you just have to be the positivity you want to see. 9 out of 10 times if you simply compliment someone back before or after they've done/said something toxic it turns out in your favor because they look like a mug. That's been my approach with it anyways and it's best to not take things too seriously. 

• Like 2

On 3/25/2021 at 9:35 PM, Boooda said:

You just have to kill them with kindness. In my experience as I've gotten older, and this is especially true with Rocket League, you just have to be the positivity you want to see. 9 out of 10 times if you simply compliment someone back before or after they've done/said something toxic it turns out in your favor because they look like a mug. That's been my approach with it anyways and it's best to not take things too seriously. 

That’s so true! I always attack people back with kindness and I get positive results. I find most players take it quite well, even to the point where they’ll apologise. The absolute morons however who take everything five steps too far will have none of it and will continue their abhorrent behaviour. Simply plonk them nicely on your block list and report if necessary. Honestly though those kinds of people I don’t come across nearly as often. But anyway, my message here is that if you’re going to respond to those people at the very least use positive language and see where it takes you.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I literally starting playing Rocket League on Saturday morning and I've already had people write in the text chat 'I kill your mum', 'you're trash' etc and these were in unranked games! Baring in mind I've only played 5 and a half hours at this point, fortunately I'm old-school, so I'm used to dealing with trash talkers.  

I used to play this so much but I had chat muted and played with mates. I refused to play with random teammates because of the toxicity. You could miss one shot and get spammed with “wow” constantly. There were so many toxic players on that game especially at the lower ranks. I got into champ 1 and everyone seemed to be friendlier but at low diamond and lower, people are toxic as fuck