ziggypossum

Open-world Star Wars game coming from Division 2 dev, Ubisoft Massive

19 posts in this topic

Open-world Star Wars game coming from Division 2 dev, Ubisoft Massive

But it might not be out until at least 2023.

The Division maker Ubisoft Massive has started work on a brand new open-world Star Wars game.

That’s according to Wired, which reports that the project is a collaboration with Lucasfilm Games, which was re-established at the start of the week. Ubisoft is reportedly hiring for this new Star Wars game, with The Division 2 and The Crew director Julian Gerighty in a creative director role for the project.

The game will apparently use Massive’s own Snowdrop engine.

This is the first Star Wars console or PC game since 2012 to be developed by someone other than Electronic Arts. The company won the Star Wars license in 2013 after LucasArts was closed down and had exclusive rights to make games for console and PC. That license is up for renewal in 2023, likely meaning that this new project won’t be out for another two years.

This news also comes in the wake of Bethesda announcing yesterday that Wolfenstein developer MachineGames was working on an Indiana Jones title with Lucasfilm Games.

Since landing the Star Wars license, EA released Star Wars Battlefront and its 2017 sequel, as well as Star Wars Squadrons from Motive Studios and Respawn’s Jedi Fallen Order. That’s on top of the mobile title Galaxy of Heroes.

Jedi: Fallen Order sold ten million copies between its launch in November 2019 and March 2020, beating EA’s six-to-eight million unit forecast.

This isn’t the only licensed IP that Ubisoft Massive is working on. The firm is also developing an Avatar title which was delayed into 2022 last year.

https://www.vg247.com/2021/01/13/star-wars-ubisoft-massive-lucasfilm/

I really like this idea. I highly enjoyed The Division (Still need to play D2), and now your making a Star Wars game with The Division's environment? I'm sold!!

Officially confirmed

I wonder what this means for The Division is it now a dead franchise or are we not going to see another game for a long time? I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan but I'll keep my eye on this game to see if it intrests me or not.

Hopefully its good, I didn't like The Division, but is Star Wars so i'll give it a try

At least it's a sign that the exclusivity deal with EA won't be renewed.

I'm glad that developers other than EA can finally make star wars games. Not particularly excited about Ubisoft making one though.

Though I do hope it's not a live service game à la Destiny, Anthem, Marvel's Avengers, The Division or Fallout 76. Though given the way things changed with Battlefront 2 and how Squadrons released I probably shouldn't worry too much.

Edited by bikeman223

31 minutes ago, Bluefalcon2210 said:

I wonder what this means for The Division is it now a dead franchise or are we not going to see another game for a long time? I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan but I'll keep my eye on this game to see if it intrests me or not.

Maybe Massive will be hiring more people and expanding so that it can work in multiple projects at a time, I think.

"The Division" franchise was not a failure, financially-wise. Just today I saw a report the 2nd game was a top 5 download in 2020 in the PS Store. It supposedly sold very well.

18 minutes ago, bikeman223 said:

At least it's a sign that the exclusivity deal with EA won't be renewed.

It seems so, though EA's deal is supposed to end in 2023. Thus, this game will not be releasing earlier than 2024.

Regarding the news, it's good if Disney opens up the "Star Wars" brand for other developers, it's good for competition and overall quality of the games.

What I don't think it will end well, though, will be the massive (pun intended) focus on DLCs, season passes and microtransactions will be thrown upon the customer.

EDIT: forgot to add - this very news is exactly the ripple effect of the decisions made by EA regarding "Battlefront 2".

Edited by talespagni

5 minutes ago, talespagni said:

It seems so, though EA's deal is supposed to end in 2023. Thus, this game will not be releasing earlier than 2024.

To be fair, I wouldn't expect a newly announced game to release in under 3 years anyway (Yearly franchises aside). I think Lucasfilm are probably being tactical and getting the wheels moving early so that games will start releasing shortly after the EA deal ends. 

Edited by bikeman223

1 minute ago, bikeman223 said:

To be fair, I wouldn't expect a newly announced game to release in under 3 years anyway (Yearly franchises aside). I think Lucasfilm are probably being tactical and getting the wheels moving early so that games will start releasing shortly after the EA deal ends. 

Of course, no doubt about it. The development cycle for games these days takes multiple years.

Moreover, like I said in another post yesterday, they need to create hype to drive up stock shares and increase financing for these projects.

These news act as a mean to help this strategy.

I am not really looking forward to it particularly mainly because 1. It is Ubisoft 2. It is open world and many of SW elements I preferred will be missing (say, star destroyer..).

18 minutes ago, talespagni said:

"The Division" franchise was not a failure, financially-wise. Just today I saw a report the 2nd game was a top 5 download in 2020 in the PS Store. It supposedly sold very well.

to be fair February 2020 the game was discounted to less than $5 CDN on The PS Store... the only reason I picked it up

Edited by craig_obviously

5 minutes ago, craig_obviously said:

to be fair February 2020 the game was discounted to less than $5 CDN on The PS Store... the only reason I picked it up

Yes, I remember, but the game was the 3rd most downloaded game in the whole year. Even if it sold well during a single month, that's still a lot of sales for it to be ranked 3rd.

Here's the link I referenced above; I don't know if you will understand it though, due to the language (it's from a Brazilian site).

18 minutes ago, talespagni said:

Moreover, like I said in another post yesterday, they need to create hype to drive up stock shares and increase financing for these projects.

These news act as a mean to help this strategy.

Yeah, that's also very likely.

Edited by bikeman223

28 minutes ago, talespagni said:

Yes, I remember, but the game was the 3rd most downloaded game in the whole year. Even if it sold well during a single month, that's still a lot of sales for it to be ranked 3rd.

Here's the link I referenced above; I don't know if you will understand it though, due to the language (it's from a Brazilian site).

yes I can actually...results are for the Brazilian store only

Sounds more like Sandbox (Grand Theft Auto) than Open World (Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver), but i will watch and see how it is.

Massive? Yeah, this is gonna be another L.