My Autism Story.

Megatritionsts

25 minutes ago, dovah said:

I'm so glad you see Autism as such a great quality, because it truly is. Although my husband had been undiagnosed most of his life, we found out he had it not long before he died. It explained so much about why he was sooooo unique, funny, innocent, cute, big hearted, sweet, fun loving, and such a joy to be around. He freakin lit up every room he walked into. And was reeeaaaalllyyy good at basketball too. 1f3c0.png 

I know it can be difficult, but that is part of what goes into making you so special. Thanks for sharing your story, and please always keep your positive attitude. <3 You are very much needed in the world we live in today. 

Thank you very much Dovah I really appreciate it a lot and thanks so much for taking the time to read my story??

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

I suffered from autism as a child. Kids in the 1990s were more aggressive and unforgiving. The people in charge at the school suggested to my parents that I would get a mentor, who ended up sticking with me for several years.

It's sad to see that the conditions I suffered have become the norm nowadays thanks to COVID-19 and social media influencing politics to the point where people don't want to interact in person anymore. Everything you mentioned; special interests, hyper focus, extreme attention to detail, excellent memory, and forced self isolation, I've been through all of that. You are 10 years younger than me and I don't know how you dealt with autism. But back when I was growing up, autism was just starting to become known as a mental disorder (at least that's what they considered it at the time), and because kids in general will pick on those they perceive as different, I was an easy target. That affected me mentally, emotionally, and for a long time it limited my social skills because I was too afraid and socially awkward to have friends in general.

I was the exception in a classroom of kids who weren't autistic. Nowadays it's if my mental traits have become the norm because of the fact that everyone lives in a glass house, they mostly communicate through text, and they are just as afraid to talk to people as I used to be. Which brings me to saying that I had a special and obsessed interest in the internet when most kids couldn't boot up an old Windows 95/98 computer. I was already communicating and talking. It was a different world back then.

The world caught up, and people who share the same traits as I do aren't afraid to admit they are autistic. So in that respect, I appreciate you taking the time to make this topic, because it's something that I wanted to do for nearly 20 years, but I never had the guts and courage to make a topic on autism myself.

Thank you very much Spaz for taking the time to read this story it means a lot to me and I really appreciate you a lot hopefully more people will be able to understand what Autism is as you can see I am still learning how to speak up for myself there is a lot of things I always had a hard time doing but I will get through it someday.?

15 hours ago, Megatritionsts said:

Autism is my Superpower it should be accepted as a difference and not a disability people with Autism usually have special interests and they have hyper-focus and they pay extreme attention to detail and they have excellent memory they can do amazing things but struggle with self isolation they can change the world and make it a better place but all people do is shelter them from the world you never know what they are truly capable of doing

I really appreciate your post—that's a wonderful way to view it. Environmental activist Greta Thunberg is a great example, and someone I highly respect. The trend of using "autist" as derogatory slang online is incredibly loathsome.

Many of the males in my family are on the spectrum, including me. Suffering with social anxiety disorder on top of it can make ordinary life profoundly challenging, and very few people have empathy. The irrational societal stigma surrounding mental illness is terribly stifling, and I often wish that I could wake up to a world where this wasn't the case anymore.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

I really appreciate your post—that's a wonderful way to view it. Environmental activist Greta Thunberg is a great example, and someone I highly respect. The trend of using "autist" as derogatory slang online is incredibly loathsome.

Many of the males in my family are on the spectrum, including me. Suffering with social anxiety disorder on top of it can make ordinary life profoundly challenging, and very few people have empathy. The irrational societal stigma surrounding mental illness is terribly stifling, and I often wish that I could wake up to a world where this wasn't the case anymore.

Thank you so much ScarecrowsFate I really appreciate you for taking the time to read my story it means so much to me I really hope you are able to push through your struggles and fight back for whatever life may throw at you and I wish you the best of luck!!!!??

• Like 1

I so agree with you in regards to autism being a difference, not a disability.  Autism isn't anything like the fact that I need glasses to see more than a couple of feet in front of me.  I can't learn how to see better.  I can only fix that with glasses, contacts or surgery.  I'm also on the mild end of the spectrum and it is possible for me to learn how to deal with people socially.  It just takes putting it into a perspective I can make sense of.  I think society as a whole is at fault for trying to shove pegs of all different shapes and sizes into the same sort of hole that is deemed "normal", "typical" or whatever term you want to give it.  I get that more severe cases of autism are indeed a disability, but mild cases can actually be a boon in many ways.  In the past where I fell on the spectrum would have been called Asperger's and I highly disagree with getting rid of that label and lumping all those people into a single spectrum with people who are indeed disabled.  Too often people judge harshly based on labels and "autistic" is unfortunately a label that leads to the person being judged as inferior.  Of course in the past the more mild cases like myself were also missed and we had to deal with the cruelty of children to those who are different.  I actually wasn't diagnosed until I was in my 40s.  I can say that very few people I've told were surprised when they found out.  Honestly, I only got my diagnosis because I mentioned my thoughts to a therapist who agreed that my self-diagnosis was correct.

• Like 3

Yeah, the internet, and here I am, have hopes that @Megatritionsts would explain it better and also exercise his social skills, as them wanted.

@dovah What ordinary things do you mean? Simple things is all I do all day, my only Superpower is lazy ass:). Driving is good only because it is my profession, so have no choice but being a professional.

Edited by Bloodytears1666
  • Like 2

@dovah I don't see myself having troubles with operating a telephone as this is mostly part of my job, but it doesn't mean I should spend with it all day, money management is ok too, I'm not rich, nothing to manage - solvedxD, or cooking? Cooking? Cooking eventually became an easy thing?

In real life no one ever called me an Autist, so it is may be in some sort you personal vision, because this still doesn't bring light on a subject. To me at least.

Edited by Bloodytears1666
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, dovah said:

Really? Really? One of the ways you guys are different, I'm starting to suspect... is your inability to see your own... wonderfulness! I mean since you usually experience social and interpersonal difficulties of some sort, and thus other people sense it and back of at times maybe (not understanding what you mean etc), then you feel inadequate?

Many times those with ASD need care in some areas at least because of lack of what I think they call adapting to normal daily life... stuff. Like operating a telephone, *cough, cough*, or money management, or cooking etc. 

A common thread that I'm beginning to see run through you lovable people, is such an irresistible humility, probably stemming from the difficulties you try to cope with and the blind spots you have to your beautiful traits. 

And yes, I hope Megatritionsts and others on this forum will speak up more, practice here... You know, forum game therapy, right?? And don't take it to heart if you're not always understood. Just keep trying to communicate like you already heroically do and you'll continue to grow and get better at everything... like the rest of us. 

And THANK YOU for sharing, all of you! ?

Thank you so much dovah for being on my side and having my back when I had no one to look up too I really appreciate you for helping me out I really hope to overcome this condition and be able to get along with people and live independently just like everyone else I thank you greatly!!!!?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

I so agree with you in regards to autism being a difference, not a disability.  Autism isn't anything like the fact that I need glasses to see more than a couple of feet in front of me.  I can't learn how to see better.  I can only fix that with glasses, contacts or surgery.  I'm also on the mild end of the spectrum and it is possible for me to learn how to deal with people socially.  It just takes putting it into a perspective I can make sense of.  I think society as a whole is at fault for trying to shove pegs of all different shapes and sizes into the same sort of hole that is deemed "normal", "typical" or whatever term you want to give it.  I get that more severe cases of autism are indeed a disability, but mild cases can actually be a boon in many ways.  In the past where I fell on the spectrum would have been called Asperger's and I highly disagree with getting rid of that label and lumping all those people into a single spectrum with people who are indeed disabled.  Too often people judge harshly based on labels and "autistic" is unfortunately a label that leads to the person being judged as inferior.  Of course in the past the more mild cases like myself were also missed and we had to deal with the cruelty of children to those who are different.  I actually wasn't diagnosed until I was in my 40s.  I can say that very few people I've told were surprised when they found out.  Honestly, I only got my diagnosis because I mentioned my thoughts to a therapist who agreed that my self-diagnosis was correct.

Thank you so much ladynadiad for reading my story I appreciate you so much!?

Thanks for sharing. I disagree with letting all autistic people be “open and accepted” in the real world. There are autistic people who are not like you and they can react very aggressively. Or there are autistic people who use their autism as an excuse for everything they do which is annoying af. Sure, some autistic people like you are cool and nice but I have met a lot that were really mental. Autism has an extremely big spectrum.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LoveInHell said:

Thanks for sharing. I disagree with letting all autistic people be “open and accepted” in the real world. There are autistic people who are not like you and they can react very aggressively. Or there are autistic people who use their autism as an excuse for everything they do which is annoying af. Sure, some autistic people like you are cool and nice but I have met a lot that were really mental. Autism has an extremely big spectrum.

Thank you so much LoveInHell for reading my story it means a lot to me I really appreciate you so much I know some people with Autism can be a bit mental but with a little help they can overcome the stress they just need to find there special interests and whatever it is they can focus on it 100% and have a more positive attitude!!!!?

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 11:01 AM, Megatritionsts said:

Thank you so much ScarecrowsFate I really appreciate you for taking the time to read my story it means so much to me I really hope you are able to push through your struggles and fight back for whatever life may throw at you and I wish you the best of luck!!!!1f642.png1f44d.png

Same to you, friend. It sounds like you're on a really healthy path.

• Like 2

Just a reminder everyone forgot to tell you a few more things I don't really have a computer or laptop yet I just been using my cellphone that my Mom got for me to login to psnprofiles she pays for the bill my Dad pays for the internet I have 1 Older Brother and 1 Older Sister so that makes me the youngest in the family so as you can see I have a lot to learn to become independent I just been doing everything all by myself you guys are very lucky to have people to talk to I had to do everything alone once again thank you for reading and have a great day.?

On 1/14/2021 at 3:09 PM, dovah said:

I knew a woman who got up from watching a movie that had an incredible OST. She played the piano without sheet music exactly as the song was in the movie having heard it only once.

I once watched a video about a young man with autism who was taken up in a helicopter to view New York City from an aerial perspective and when he landed, they gave him a pen and a large drawing paper and he drew the entire skyline from memory. I am not autistic, but I have other mental health diagnoses. I have Obsessive Compulsive, Major Depressive, and Generalized Anxiety Disorders. Like @Spaz, I also went through severe bullying, but one day, I just decided not to give a crap about what other people thought of me and I've never been happier. Besides, the popular kids/jocks that pick on the nerds/geeks in school usually end up working for minimum wage while said nerds/geeks make close to six figures. In fact, I saw a post the other day that said, "Today, 20 years later, the school bully still takes my lunch money. On the up side, though, he makes great Subway sandwiches." ?

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Where was this post? Sort of curious.

I'm pretty sure the particular phrase I used was just a joke that has made its way across the internet, but I have seen situations like it first hand on numerous occasions in my life. In my experience, most of the jocks I went to high school with were incredibly talented at playing football and received scholarships for it, but that was about all they had going for them. Now that we're all in our early to mid 30s and the hype over how "amazing" they are/were has died down, the ones I knew are struggling to deal with the disconnect and are working basic, dead-end jobs IF they're not strung out on drugs or steroids— and I don't doubt that several of them are. I can name at least one that was picked up for using and dealing heroin not too long ago.

Edited by Kristen Danielle
  • Like 3

Hey dude, I've struggled getting to doctors most of my life but several have said they believe I've on the spectrum to some extent. Not sure what to make of that, but I feel the same as you. My brain sure seems to work a little differently from those around me but I really love it. I mean sure not always, I really struggle with small talk and some basic conversations and try to avoid them quite a bit. But once I have something in common with someone (like gaming) I can talk forever, maybe we'll play something together down the road. Good luck new friend, keep killing it with all those plats

• Like 3