My Autism Story.

Megatritionsts

1 hour ago, Kristen Danielle said:

I'm pretty sure the particular phrase I used was just a joke that has made its way across the internet, but I have seen situations like it first hand on numerous occasions in my life. In my experience, most of the jocks I went to high school with were incredibly talented at playing football and received scholarships for it, but that was about all they had going for them. Now that we're all in our early to mid 30s and the hype over how "amazing" they are/were has died down, the ones I knew are struggling to deal with the disconnect and are working basic, dead-end jobs IF they're not strung out on drugs or steroids— and I don't doubt that several of them are. I can name at least one that was picked up for using and dealing heroin not too long ago.

It's interesting to think about because we're a decade older than a number of users here, who probably don't have as much life experience when it comes to dealing with the real world and how harsh it could be.

I feel that young people today are even more disconnected due to the internet, screens being everywhere, COVID-19, and this mentality of 'I'm Right, You're Wrong' that started on Facebook & Twitter. Twitter in particular was just a small website when I was first going to college, so it wasn't known by too many even though I used it quite a bit early on. Now it's a corporate behemoth where all the 'fake journalism' and so called SJWs go on there to spread their hatred. What's truly saddening is people on there act like they never matured past high school, so those old jokes and terms that we felt were offensive are still prevalent on the internet.

The shift is now on computer technology and because it is such a high importance, those jocks you knew 15 - 18 years ago are even worse off because like the guys I once knew, they probably know little about computers. None of them were autistic, I was sort of the outcast, geek kid who was addicted to old Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog games, which was where my love for gaming started. Those same guys picked on the autistic kids and teens, but some of those kids are now happily living with a wife and kids holding a Master's Degree in Computer Technology (Engineering, Software Security, etc). The jocks in contrast hold little past a high school education, a few I knew on Facebook turned to meth just to hold their 60 hours a week job that paid minimum wage.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Those same guys picked on the autistic kids and teens, but some of those kids are now happily living with a wife and kids holding a Master's Degree in Computer Technology (Engineering, Software Security, etc). The jocks in contrast hold little past a high school education, a few I knew on Facebook turned to meth just to hold their 60 hours a week job that paid minimum wage.

Indeed. I see it a lot, especially in my home state of Louisiana because there is a massive habit of brushing the academics of these "star" football players under the rug to advance their athletic careers here. Louisiana State University has one of the largest and most outrageously over the top football programs in the nation. We are talking millions upon millions of dollars being funneled into the athletic department while the academic departments struggle to stay funded. It's pretty sad and the effects of it are really evident when they go to interview the players on the news after a big game and they struggle to speak coherently and in complete sentences. Don't get me wrong, though— I'm certainly not saying that all jocks end up this way. There are plenty out there who value their athletic talents AND their education and go very far in life. I'm just saying that the ones I know/knew never did and now they're paying dearly for it.

Edited by Kristen Danielle
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Kristen Danielle said:

Indeed. I see it a lot, especially in my home state of Louisiana because there is a massive habit of brushing the academics of these "star" football players under the rug to advance their athletic career here. Louisiana State University has one of the largest and most outrageously over the top football programs in the nation. We are talking millions upon millions of dollars being funneled into the athletic department while the academic departments struggle to stay funded. It's pretty sad and the effects of it are really evident when they go to interview the players on the news after a big game and they struggle to speak coherently and in complete sentences. Don't get me wrong, though— I'm certainly not saying that all jocks end up this way. There are plenty out there who value their athletic talents AND their education and go very far in life. I'm just saying that the ones I know/knew never did and now they're paying dearly for it.

These guys are still kids in their late teens and early 20s. But they're already under a lot of pressure because they're not only being told to work hard by their football coaches, they're being told to put their best efforts in the classroom by their more introverted teachers who have nothing to do with sports.

The education system in America is a joke and has been for a very long time. I for one have never been to the South and probably won't for quite some time because of the pandemic, but the problems you're describing also apply up where I live as well. You got guys who are 6 feet 5 inches tall (or nearly 200 cm), weigh in the neighborhood of 250 to 300 pounds, and have the athletic ability to do feats the average person cannot. Maybe not as athletically talented as a Lebron James or a Tom Brady, but still better than most. Yet their knowledge of anything besides their respective sport is very limited. Lebron James is an interesting one because he didn't go to college, the NBA picked him up right out of high school and he was one of the last people to have that opportunity, since the NBA only accepts college players who are gifted and exceptionally good. In the shows I've seen of him Lebron comes off as arrogant and a smug piece of shit. Tom Brady I mostly didn't like for him being on a NFL team that has gone to the playoffs more times than I can count, but I admired his character and his dedication. Him like Brett Favre and *maybe* Peyton Manning had very long careers.

Lebron James, one of the best athletes of our generation, but not particularly good at being all too educated.

The Oregon Ducks college football team had some of the best equipment, best facilities, and luxurious locker rooms because of one man who practically funded the entire team. Athletically, they were swimming in money, even in seasons when their win - loss record wasn't that good. Academically, it's a different story.

It really hurts me to not have a program that teaches people on the outside the benefits and cons of autism, which I could certainly learn from since I'm autistic myself. Mental Health is in the shitter, and education isn't too far behind. Millions upon millions of dollars have been taken out of mental health funding and education funding because of corrupt, greedy politicians, as a result you got guys well in their 20s and 30s who can't speak coherently. This is something I see a lot out of Generation Z, perhaps due to social media. I attended my local college in late 2019 for a few courses and it was shocking to see how many kids aged 18 - 20 who couldn't speak well at all.

I think it's good more young people are speaking out on autism and how it has affected them. But there is literally no funding from professionals and doctors who can really understand and give these people support.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kindajustin said:

Hey dude, I've struggled getting to doctors most of my life but several have said they believe I've on the spectrum to some extent. Not sure what to make of that, but I feel the same as you. My brain sure seems to work a little differently from those around me but I really love it. I mean sure not always, I really struggle with small talk and some basic conversations and try to avoid them quite a bit. But once I have something in common with someone (like gaming) I can talk forever, maybe we'll play something together down the road. Good luck new friend, keep killing it with all those plats

Thank you very much kindajustin I appreciate it same goes to you friend good luck trophy hunting!!!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I think it's good more young people are speaking out on autism and how it has affected them. But there is literally no funding from professionals and doctors who can really understand and give these people support.

Mmhmm. Don't even get me started. S—T—I—G—M—A! What does that spell?! That's right! It spells "modern healthcare!"

• Like 1

My brother was diagnosed with autism last week, he is one of the most intelligent and special people I know, he is only 10 years old but it is already clear that he will have a bright future. Congratulations on being such an amazing person, friend! Many trophies and success for us

8 hours ago, Godkatzen said:

My brother was diagnosed with autism last week, he is one of the most intelligent and special people I know, he is only 10 years old but it is already clear that he will have a bright future. Congratulations on being such an amazing person, friend! Many trophies and success for us

Thank you very much Godkatzen I really appreciate you for reading my story I wish you and your brother the best of luck!!!!?

• 5 weeks later...
11 hours ago, cris3f said:

Hi. Glad to have read your story. You have some really good games in your list and some impressive achievements. Congratulations. Keep up the good work, and above all have fun.

Yeah he's a good kid and some of his trophies are wicked impressive. He's on my friends list I'm always checking out what he's up too haha

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Super_Mep said:

Yeah he's a good kid and some of his trophies are wicked impressive. He's on my friends list I'm always checking out what he's up too haha

14 hours ago, cris3f said:

Hi. Glad to have read your story. You have some really good games in your list and some impressive achievements. Congratulations. Keep up the good work, and above all have fun.

Thank you very much cris3f for reading my story much appreciated!!!!

3 hours ago, Super_Mep said:

Thank you very much Super_Mep for reading I appreciate it a lot!!!! 

Forgot something. 3 suggestions, since you like SHMUPs:

- Geometry Wars, one of the best shooters on any consoles. You probably liked Assault Android Cactus (awesome work, would like to know what was your favorite android); it has some coop trophies, but perhaps someone in the family can help

- Dead Nation, another awesome shooter with a good story mode with progressing difficulty

- Earth Defense Force 4.1, a FPS tactical shooter. This is a long shot and one of the most different games you can pick. Most people hate it at start because it's weird (me included). Many people hate it anyway. But it's unique. Takes a long time to finish but can be all done solo if you have a second controller. It has a nice feature in that you can play online, it's completely cooperative, objective is just finish the missions. Most conversations is through pre-typed messages from menus, but the community that plays it is pretty helpful and light hearted, since the game is at heart a parody of weird sci-fi movies, so usually no stress and mostly crazy and fun things happen. I played it online extensively, 99% of the time was without voice chat.

It has a steep learning curve, and it will take 200-300 hours to finish offline, at least. Online 700-800 hours but as I said not necessary.

You can pick the PS4 versions of the 3 on sale a few times a year on US PSN at a reasonable price.

Kromaia Omega which you bought is interesting too.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cris3f said:

Forgot something. 3 suggestions, since you like SHMUPs:

- Geometry Wars, one of the best shooters on any consoles. You probably liked Assault Android Cactus (awesome work, would like to know what was your favorite android); it has some coop trophies, but perhaps someone in the family can help

- Dead Nation, another awesome shooter with a good story mode with progressing difficulty

- Earth Defense Force 4.1, a FPS tactical shooter. This is a long shot and one of the most different games you can pick. Most people hate it at start because it's weird (me included). Many people hate it anyway. But it's unique. Takes a long time to finish but can be all done solo if you have a second controller. It has a nice feature in that you can play online, it's completely cooperative, objective is just finish the missions. Most conversations is through pre-typed messages from menus, but the community that plays it is pretty helpful and light hearted, since the game is at heart a parody of weird sci-fi movies, so usually no stress and mostly crazy and fun things happen. I played it online extensively, 99% of the time was without voice chat.

It has a steep learning curve, and it will take 200-300 hours to finish offline, at least. Online 700-800 hours but as I said not necessary.

You can pick the PS4 versions of the 3 on sale a few times a year on US PSN at a reasonable price.

Kromaia Omega which you bought is interesting too.

When I was playing Assault android cactus I mostly use Holly for most of the levels and for the bosses I used cactus when you are trying to get S+Rank for all of the levels you really want to stay away from bots as they don't really help as much the strategy I use when I was using Holly to clear the levels flawlessly without breaking the chain was I use her primary weapon the seeking bullets for the week enemies and for the strong enemies I use her cannonball to keep the chain going try to defeat the enemies as quick as possible as taking to long will break the chain this game is very difficult so it may take a few attempts to get S+ Rank on all the levels I got lucky on some of the levels especially levels 5-4 and 5-5 I got very lucky on those levels they were very tough for me especially infinity drive mode that mode is hard too I use Starch to get past layer 25 my favorite android was probably Catus I like her flamethrower because it does a lot of damage but I only used her for the bosses Assault android cactus is a tough game but its doable practice makes perfect good luck and Earth Defense Force looks like a nice game to play it may take a while but it's a nice Ultra Rare Plat to add to the collection thanks for recommending that game to me maybe one day I'll take a look into this game but as of right now I am trying to focus on one game at a time but anyways good luck with Assault android cactus?.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Megatritionsts said:

When I was playing Assault android cactus I mostly use Holly for most of the levels and for the bosses I used cactus when you are trying to get S+Rank for all of the levels you really want to stay away from bots as they don't really help as much the strategy I use when I was using Holly to clear the levels flawlessly without breaking the chain was I use her primary weapon the seeking bullets for the week enemies and for the strong enemies I use her cannonball to keep the chain going try to defeat the enemies as quick as possible as taking to long will break the chain this game is very difficult so it may take a few attempts to get S+ Rank on all the levels I got lucky on some of the levels especially levels 5-4 and 5-5 I got very lucky on those levels they were very tough for me especially infinity drive mode that mode is hard too I use Starch to get past layer 25 my favorite android was probably Catus I like her flamethrower because it does a lot of damage but I only used her for the bosses Assault android cactus is a tough game but its doable practice makes perfect good luck and Earth Defense Force looks like a nice game to play it may take a while but it's a nice Ultra Rare Plat to add to the collection thanks for recommending that game to me maybe one day I'll take a look into this game but as of right now I am trying to focus on one game at a time but anyways good luck with Assault android cactus?.

Thanks for sharing your awesome story. Like others here I am a victim of bullying and mental illness, but have developed a lot of resiliency and conquered challenges throughout my life.

Re: EDF 4.1 - it’s definitely a commitment and grind. Currently 140 hours in and almost done hardest with ranger and wing diver, but we’re hitting walls on coop. Basically every problem though can be overcome with dedicated Shifting Mountains armour grinds...but the grind is real and exhausting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

Thanks for sharing your awesome story. Like others here I am a victim of bullying and mental illness, but have developed a lot of resiliency and conquered challenges throughout my life.

Re: EDF 4.1 - it’s definitely a commitment and grind. Currently 140 hours in and almost done hardest with ranger and wing diver, but we’re hitting walls on coop. Basically every problem though can be overcome with dedicated Shifting Mountains armour grinds...but the grind is real and exhausting. 

My pleasure PalaceOfLove thank you for reading and nice to meet you the Earth Defense games are all very grindy but its worth a try those games are unique and different from all the other shooters out there!!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

No grind is needed either on 2025 or 4.1 if you play offline. There's no mission on either that needs more than 2000 armor to be solved, if you use the right class and split screen the others. All you need is the right strategy for a easy solution to a problem.

Online is a different matter, as the difficulty scales a lot and there real coordination is necessary if one or more of the players is / are not experienced or has a ton of armor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cris3f said:

No grind is needed either on 2025 or 4.1 if you play offline. There's no mission on either that needs more than 2000 armor to be solved, if you use the right class and split screen the others. All you need is the right strategy for a easy solution to a problem.

Online is a different matter, as the difficulty scales a lot and there real coordination is necessary if one or more of the players is / are not experienced or has a ton of armor.

Yeah, I’ve read the “strategies” for the ranger in particular on some of those levels, and it’s pretty much decided in the STEAM community that you need to grind. Most people are finishing it with 30k armour or more. It probably takes less time to grind that than repeatedly fail missions under leveled trying to pull off some strategy. Like the swarm is real in some of those later missions. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

Yeah, I’ve read the “strategies” for the ranger in particular on some of those levels, and it’s pretty much decided in the STEAM community that you need to grind. Most people are finishing it with 30k armour or more. It probably takes less time to grind that than repeatedly fail missions under leveled trying to pull off some strategy. Like the swarm is real in some of those later missions. 

Steam is not the place to get good info about EDF. There's japanese players finishing either 2025 or 4.1 with all 3 classes (no fencer) starting in inferno with basic armor and progressing. All finish under 1000 armor. I can do 99% of all missions offline in both under 2000, with at least 2 classes and I'm not a pro, not even close. To me the challenge is finishing them solo, and in both EDF 2025 Japanese and 4.1 I only did inferno and 100% weapons at first, only wrapping up the rest when I had patience as it does becomes boring to do lower difficulties. There's at least one class that makes all missions have no major issues. If you play online there's a few missions that are a lot tougher specially if you don't know what to do. But these were built specifically to be solved with multiple classes taking advantage of each one's capabilities.

My apologies @Megatritionsts for messing up your thread, won't happen again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cris3f said:

Steam is not the place to get good info about EDF. There's japanese players finishing either 2025 or 4.1 with all 3 classes (no fencer) starting in inferno with basic armor and progressing. All finish under 1000 armor. I can do 99% of all missions offline in both under 2000, with at least 2 classes and I'm not a pro, not even close. To me the challenge is finishing them solo, and in both EDF 2025 Japanese and 4.1 I only did inferno and 100% weapons at first, only wrapping up the rest when I had patience as it does becomes boring to do lower difficulties. There's at least one class that makes all missions have no major issues. If you play online there's a few missions that are a lot tougher specially if you don't know what to do. But these were built specifically to be solved with multiple classes taking advantage of each one's capabilities.

Its OK cris3f no worries!!!! 

1 hour ago, cris3f said:

Rather than just boast about your average ability in the game to earn a 0.8% platinum without much difficulty, can you be useful and  hook me up with Inferno walkthrough videos or strategy guides for every level / relevant class that aren’t STEAM, so that I can therefore get through this game? Thanks,

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello guys as you can see I spend a lot of time alone still trying my best to get along with others more I am starting to improve a little bit I tend to play more then I speak really to be honest sometimes I just have to take one step at a time and try little by little there is so much I want to do just haven't gotten around it yet it can be tough trying new things when you are on the Spectrum I do a lot of the same things over and over again I rely on routine a lot and stick to that same routine I am always competitive all the time I guess that's my way of speaking everytime I play its always now or never challenging myself every single day while being parented from the world!!!!

• Like 1

I know its tough when you are on the Autism Spectrum and you are being isolated from the world from your parents but all you can do is keep pushing forward and never give up one day your turn will come you will get a chance to show the world what you are capable of doing other people may take away my freedom but they can't take away my imagination because I know in my heart and in my mind that I am a whole lot wiser and I can do a whole lot more then people think I can all you have to do is dream and believe in yourself that you can do something Special for this planet and you will succeed even if you don't get credit for anything that you do or even if other people don't understand you!!!! 

Hey.

I don't suffer from autism, to my knowledge, but I grew up in one of the worst parts of Naples, which, one could argue that it's one of the worst parts of Italy, so I didn't have much time to  socialize, at least, not with words,  I'm telling this, to explain  that the fact regarding socializing is, an aspect of life, sure, but not as important as others may imply, this day, most of my socialization is done with my employees, family, random people I meet on the Internet or "nostalgic" folks, even the trophy sessions, most of the time, I just setup a date, to be sure the other/s  can connect at a time, we do the thing and then "thank you" and most of the time, we part ways, I see all of this, perhaps due to my years in the stock market  as "transactions", we talk  for a work project, to have  a spark of love  or support with our loved ones, to have brainless fun on a night with friends,  or to get some trophies in this case, most of the time I'm also not that much  active on Discord, because  I don't feel a purpouse  in posting in a specific  conversation, don't  misunderstand though, that's not a disadvantage, people that try too hard to be friendly and loved by others, they are viscerally hated  by some,  as a matter of fact, I almost never hire people who talk with a loud voice,  who appear way too friendly, it sets several red flags in them mooching off the work of others, I'd rather have someone with "technick" so to speak like Stephen Wiltshire.

Ultimately, I think you have overestimated the ability of others to socialize, especially  now with the pandemic that limits interactions, some young people seem more like a breathing meme, rather than a person,  absorbing the modus operandii of a meme, school of thought,  type of media etc but I digress, I'd advise you on two things:

1) post more,  I understand  boosting with strangers might seem jarring, unless you only see it as a transactional matter, but well, someone on the forums is bound to require boosting on a game you also need,  if they get mad at something  during the boost, pay no heed, most people can't  control themselves within the "rage of the moment", also, don't focus on the people posting, it's your show, you see something and it gives you the urge to write? Do it for yourself, if  somebody likes it, sure good, whatever, if not, tough luck for them.

2) visit the site TVTropes, as I said earlier, most people adopt, either consciously, or subconsciously traits from somewhere else, and TVTropes is very good at analyzing and dissecting those elements in a objective manner, rather than emotional.

But, truth be told, outside your elevated enthusiasm and puntuactions (my mother told  me as a kid, re-read your messages, and put your attention at when you need to take a breather, that's the secret behind the "," after that, I had no problems regarding it in school or University), I don't think you write that much differently than others here.

Regarding autism itself, it's complicated, because the concept itself is too broad, it contains people like you, but also folks with serial killer tendency, before acceptance from the majority of the populace, it  should be  analyzed  with extreme care, and remove the weed from the grass.

Oh, and regarding routine, that's nothing abnormal, or worse, to be ashamed for, back when I was younger, I needed a precise amount of proteins to stay fit, which brought me to a  not so varied alimentation, yet I got to be 6'3  while others who changed for the sake of change couldn't even keep shape, what's the point of changing for the sake of changing if the results are abysmal? Nah. Always stick on whar works.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Hey.

I don't suffer from autism, to my knowledge, but I grew up in one of the worst parts of Naples, which, one could argue that it's one of the worst parts of Italy, so I didn't have much time to  socialize, at least, not with words,  I'm telling this, to explain  that the fact regarding socializing is, an aspect of life, sure, but not as important as others may imply, this day, most of my socialization is done with my employees, family, random people I meet on the Internet or "nostalgic" folks, even the trophy sessions, most of the time, I just setup a date, to be sure the other/s  can connect at a time, we do the thing and then "thank you" and most of the time, we part ways, I see all of this, perhaps due to my years in the stock market  as "transactions", we talk  for a work project, to have  a spark of love  or support with our loved ones, to have brainless fun on a night with friends,  or to get some trophies in this case, most of the time I'm also not that much  active on Discord, because  I don't feel a purpouse  in posting in a specific  conversation, don't  misunderstand though, that's not a disadvantage, people that try too hard to be friendly and loved by others, they are viscerally hated  by some,  as a matter of fact, I almost never hire people who talk with a loud voice,  who appear way too friendly, it sets several red flags in them mooching off the work of others, I'd rather have someone with "technick" so to speak like Stephen Wiltshire.

Ultimately, I think you have overestimated the ability of others to socialize, especially  now with the pandemic that limits interactions, some young people seem more like a breathing meme, rather than a person,  absorbing the modus operandii of a meme, school of thought,  type of media etc but I digress, I'd advise you on two things:

1) post more,  I understand  boosting with strangers might seem jarring, unless you only see it as a transactional matter, but well, someone on the forums is bound to require boosting on a game you also need,  if they get mad at something  during the boost, pay no heed, most people can't  control themselves within the "rage of the moment", also, don't focus on the people posting, it's your show, you see something and it gives you the urge to write? Do it for yourself, if  somebody likes it, sure good, whatever, if not, tough luck for them.

2) visit the site TVTropes, as I said earlier, most people adopt, either consciously, or subconsciously traits from somewhere else, and TVTropes is very good at analyzing and dissecting those elements in a objective manner, rather than emotional.

But, truth be told, outside your elevated enthusiasm and puntuactions (my mother told  me as a kid, re-read your messages, and put your attention at when you need to take a breather, that's the secret behind the "," after that, I had no problems regarding it in school or University), I don't think you write that much differently than others here.

Regarding autism itself, it's complicated, because the concept itself is too broad, it contains people like you, but also folks with serial killer tendency, before acceptance from the majority of the populace, it  should be  analyzed  with extreme care, and remove the weed from the grass.

Oh, and regarding routine, that's nothing abnormal, or worse, to be ashamed for, back when I was younger, I needed a precise amount of proteins to stay fit, which brought me to a  not so varied alimentation, yet I got to be 6'3  while others who changed for the sake of change couldn't even keep shape, what's the point of changing for the sake of changing if the results are abysmal? Nah. Always stick on whar works.

Thank you man I appreciate you for reading my post means a lot to me I will remember what you said and good luck to you!!!!

• Like 1