Thoughts and a collection of useful info (will be updated as i play)

First and foremost, anyone thinking that a game with the word Unicorn in the title would be a sweet easy trophy list, is going to be in for a rough time.

With my experience with it so far the game is pretty damn punishingly difficult, which is not helped by the camera or the janky combat.

If you're just looking for boss strategies, give this persons video some love. While i personally would not agree with them that this game is 'amazing', i have to bow down to their mastery of the game.

I'm now going to list in nice bite size chunks, things i have learnt about the game that i'm hoping will make life a little easier for people going for the plat.

Please bear in mind, this will be updated as i am still currently playing the game myself:

1. There are two characters you will be playing as and you're going to want to level up your characters quite a bit in the starting area. The max level is 50. Probably don't try and max yourself out in the starting area, but don't do what i did and immediately take your elf character to the caves. The enemy placement, swinging axes and boss there are all pretty brutal at low level. So get grinding.

2. The max level for weapons is 5.

For the elf character, i'd defo recommend upgrading the bow asap. It does a smaller amount of damage than your blade, but you're going to need it for upcoming bosses, and keeping yourself attacking at a distance is a must for some fights. (Will be updated)

3. Your characters have their own separate inventory, red gems (currency), level and skills to get them through the game. So don't go thinking you have a ton of healing herbs with one character and think that you'll be all good, the other character will not share the inventory, weapons or character level. Treat them as their own separate entities.

4. Quite a few of the earlier enemies i've noticed can be stun locked with the basic 'square' attack. 'Triangle' hits harder, but tends to be so slow that you'll end up getting hit in the process. For smaller enemies that move quickly, just stick with your basic 'square' button.

5. Sometimes, undead enemies will explode! No idea why, and it doesn't happen all the time, but if they fall to floor and start flashing red, get out of the way!

6. Not sure if this is true or not, but appears to be the case for me. The goblins shop seems to have a permanent stock. What i mean by this is, if he has 5 healing herbs to sell you and you buy them all, they are GONE for good. He doesn't seem to restock, and unfortunately this is one of the few things that does carry over between characters. If he has 5 herbs and you buy 3 with the elf, then get control of your human viking back, the goblin will only have 2 herbs to sell him.

7. Personally, i barely ever use the X button to kill an enemy off. Invariably there is something lying on the ground, and my character will pick the item up off the ground rather than killing the enemy, causing me to take damage. Additionally, if you do manage to kill the enemy off with X, you have a brief moment of invincibility, emphasis on the BRIEF part. By the time the animation has finished, i nearly always get hit by something else in the area.

8. Be careful when back tracking. I have no idea how respawning enemies works in this game. Most of the time, you'll kill a group of enemies, and they'll only respawn when you leave the whole area (go through a loading screen) and then come back. However this isn't always the case, and you may find that turning a corner and coming back respawns them as well. So always be on your guard.

9. If you thought the Spider Queen boss was hard, it's got nothing on Ulfrstorr the wolf! His range to hit you is IMMENSE. You may look like you're about 2 feet away from his attacks, but it really won't matter, he's still gonna hit you. Lots and lots of dodging involved and personally i'm not even bothering with the blade, just the bow. When he jumps up top to start healing himself, use charged shots constantly. During his second phase he's gonna start charge attacking, you get hit by one of those, it's pretty much game over as it will take around 3/4 of your health off you, and leaves you very little time to heal yourself. The attack is telegraphed, as he will do a small hop backward and then charge, getting the timing down to dodge it is another matter altogether what with the games god awful hit detection. He's also got a wolf breath attack with 2 variations; one of them does a small amount of damage and knocks you back, leaving you wide open to be attacked. The other wolf breath, the one he charges, i'd love to tell you what it does but i've not been hit by it yet. However, given how much damage his charge attacks does, i'm going to go ahead and guess that it's basically a 1 hit kill.

10. After beating Old King Wulfric, you may be at a loss as to where to go. Head back to the broken statue of Tyr, the one that's in the same area with Durin and the area where you first meet the scorpion enemies. The statue will call you over, and ask you to make the blood of Fenryr, go make it and then head back to the statue to enter the arena. This was the first time i was truly racking my brains as to where to head to next.

After getting the 2 handed sword, in the same area down at the bottom where the giant locked gate is, there is a plinth with a symbol on it. This is what you use your new sword on to get to the next area. Seriously there are no hints at this point in the game to indicate any of this  :/

11. In order to get your last pieces for your medallions for both characters, you have to beat THE arena. This doesn't mean the other arena's you beat in order to progress the game. The arena we're talking about is in Makala's Temple, behind a magic seal. You have to break this seal by making the Njord Eye, which you can only make with the Elf, since she'll have 3 of the boss items needed to make it. You have to then beat the arena behind the magic seal with both characters in order to get the medallions for them both.

12. There is a point of no return in this game! When you get to the tower you'll be able to freely swap between both characters. When you unlock the door on the right hand side of the prison area, and go down the steps however, YOU WILL LOSE BIOR! After his boss fight against the dark valkyrie, you won't be able to use him again. So you'll definitely want to get the rest of your trophies out of the way, or reload a previous save to before you lose him in order to max out both his weapons, and get the last piece of his medallion.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me.

Depending on how long it's been between when this was written and when you ask however, i may need a refresher  :P

Edited by Ancestral_Spirit
Updating strategies while i play
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much for this! I was pulling my hair out over some of the backtracking. ?

I'm now struggling on the chests. Do you have any idea (roughly) how many chests were in each area? I just made it to the tower and can access the boss for Bjor, but since I lose him after that, I don't wanna proceed without knowing for sure. ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2021 at 4:41 PM, Nooby_Cake said:

Thanks so much for this! I was pulling my hair out over some of the backtracking. 1f625.png

I'm now struggling on the chests. Do you have any idea (roughly) how many chests were in each area? I just made it to the tower and can access the boss for Bjor, but since I lose him after that, I don't wanna proceed without knowing for sure. 1f628.png

There was one chest in particular that i swear spawned after i'd already been there.

If you go back to the area where the Goblin King boss was in Makala's Temple, just before him there's the shopkeeper. If you hug the wall going down and to the left, i found my last chest there.

I don't recall finding any chests after losing Bior, so if you've not got the trophy for all the chests yet, i'd suggest not proceeding further until you've found them all.

Have you gone back into the spider cave as well? There's a chest you can backtrack for once you've got the valkyrie wings. Actually, there are a few places you can backtrack to once you've got those wings, there's even a chest on the right side of the forest path leading up to the tree person that allows you to craft items.

If this doesn't help, i'll try and load up one of my old saves and see if i can remember where the rest of the chests are from there. I always find it easier to remember once i can actually SEE where i'm going  >.<

Failing all that, hit me up on PSN and we'll go on chat and basically walk through the game together  :)

Edited by Ancestral_Spirit
Added info

• 2 years later...

If anyone needs help with this game, I have the entire platinum streamed on my youtube channel.

Was it difficult? Nah, but it isn't super easy either, and it was a bit of a grind. There is at least some missables, but I didn't have any issues with that. It's more about grinding on last stretch for each character.

Edited by MMDE