Underwhelmingly good game

K_e_r_c_k_11

I finally finished this game and it felt like its empty and bleak. The story is so-so in terms of how its told, gameplay could be better, driving is a little bit clunky at times, some enemies are annoying like the wolves/runners. 

I'm on my second playthrough on survival 2 and it annoys me because I cannot use fast travel and it takes ages to go from point a to point b. I think its unnecessary to include not having fast travel.

There are also some issues in the game like some parts of the map were not loading, bridges becomes like a death trap(because its not loaded in the game) and I fell to my death and the fact that before I get to the lower part of the map(travelling with Iron Mike, leading to Thilsen Pass or whatever its called, all s*** looked like the game's pre alpha).

I expected more from this game, it looks kinda of below par compared to other PS exclusives. I wish it could have been a better game

• Like 4

On 1/14/2021 at 4:54 AM, ObliviousSenpai said:

Despite the lack of polish, I still found it to be one of my favourite PS4 exclusives. I would only put Bloodborne and GoW above it in terms of enjoyability. Fighting freaker hordes was a lot of fun and I didn't find myself ever being frustrated or bored having to explore the open world for collectibles. Also I believe there is fast travel, so long as you have the fuel necessary to make the trip.

Fast travel is disabled in Survival 2

The story wasn’t anything groundbreaking but in terms of gameplay and enjoyment it was one of my favourites of last gen. I really enjoyed getting the platinum too, nothing too grindy. I wanted to take out all the nests and hordes anyway as it was so much fun!!

I loved how the hordes moved around too, like sometimes you’d get lucky and they’d be asleep in a cave or really unlucky and run into them wandering around in the open.

l really hope they do make a sequel, some online co op would be good too.

Edited by Jimmy947
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Jimmy947 said:

The story wasn’t anything groundbreaking but in terms of gameplay and enjoyment it was one of my favourites of last gen. I really enjoyed getting the platinum too, nothing too grindy. I wanted to take out all the nests and hordes anyway as it was so much fun!!

I loved how the hordes moved around too, like sometimes you’d get lucky and they’d be asleep in a cave or really unlucky and run into them wandering around in the open.

l really hope they do make a sequel, some online co op would be good too.

Horde fights are amazing and really good especially on survival.

On 1/15/2021 at 3:40 PM, Stan Lee said:

I thought it went on a bit too long for its own good, but I still enjoyed it. Will probably do a NG+ run on PS5 at some point

U should try it on survival

On 1/15/2021 at 3:23 PM, Eraezr said:

I've heard it plays crisp in the PS5 version, to the point where it feels like a better game. Native 4K, hordes running at 60fps.

Yeah it runs smoothly at 60 fps on my ps5. But idk about 4k since I'm using non 5k monitor

Played both Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima on PS5 and honestly had more fun with Days Gone, despite being a huge fan of everything feudal Japan. Ghost of Tsushima felt too bloaty, a typical problem with open world games. None of the content in Days Gone felt like bloat to me though.

Edited by Asimb0mb
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Asimb0mb said:

Played both Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima on PS5 and honestly had more fun with Days Gone, despite being a huge fan of everything feudal Japan. Ghost of Tsushima felt too bloaty, a typical problem with open world games. None of the content in Days Gone felt like bloat to me though.

I can't even compared this game on any other ps exclusive(especially GoT). This game feels so underwhelming, empty and bloated. Art style is as generic as any Far cry game. Remove the horde fights and this game will feel even more bloated. I've killed every horde in the damn game and my god I won't do it again

Ghost of Tsushima has the BEST art style I've seen in a while, boss fights are amazing, Legends mode is just so good, and Raids are so good too(if your teammates know what they're doing) Iyo's final fight was damn amazing as well, its either you GET GOOD OR GO HOME. There's so much replayability, that sometimes I dont know which mode should I play. 

And this game would look even more like a Ubisoft game if you compare it to The Last of Us(even part 2), GoW, Horizon, Bloodborne or Spiderman. 

Thats probably why Sony didn't advertised this game that much unlike those games I mentioned above

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I have to strongly disagree with you my friend. Perhaps it’s because I went into this game with really low expectations, but I was actually overwhelmed with how great this game ended up being.

I honestly couldn’t put the damn thing down! The story actually ended up being one of the biggest surprises for me, and ended up having a lot more depth than I ever expected. By the end of the game I’d fallen in love with all the characters and felt heavily invested in their lives and their stories.

Often the relationship angles in video games can be pretty cringey and feel unnecessary and uninteresting, but I was pleasantly surprised to find the love story between Deacon and Sarah being very compelling to me. Maybe it was just well written, or maybe it’s just because I know what it is like to feel empty and broken-hearted while pining for a lost love. But whatever it was, it really resonated deeply with me. The missions where you visit her grave and watch flashbacks of their relationship and how they met ended up being some of my favourite parts of the game, and I eagerly looked forward to each new gravestone mission.

I also really loved that this game spent a lot of time on Deacon and Boozer’s awesome biker bromance. There aren’t many games that go to such great lengths to explore the subject of platonic love between two men, and the brotherly bond between close friends who have walked through hell together side by side, but there was something really heartwarming about their friendship and the dynamic they shared, and the way they constantly gave one another a reason to keep fighting when things felt dark and hopeless.

I went into the game expecting to enjoy the gameplay and the zombie horde gimmick, but I did not expect to love it as much as I did. The gameplay was pretty amazing to be honest, and I never seemed to tire of it. Riding your bike around the beautiful apocalyptic landscapes of Oregon never got tiring, and I thought the whole bike mechanic was done brilliantly.

The game constantly makes you maintain and care for your bike, and makes it so you never want to stray too far from it. I found myself constantly running out of gas and having to stop at some roadside wreck, or get off to explore a dilapidated, abandoned town just to find some gasoline for the bike, and this whole concept of limited resources and forced exploration had an almost survival-horror feel to it.

The constant need to refuel and perpetual threat of running empty and getting stranded in the middle of nowhere created a lot of tension, and lead to TONS of incredible, heart-pounding moments where I was forced into a dangerous situation, and scrambled frantically to get back to my bike and gtfo before being eaten alive. This feeling of “living on the edge” made me feel like I was constantly in danger of stumbling across a group of zombies bigger than I was prepared to handle, and therefore had to remain vigilant and stealthy at all times while exploring. Even some of the very best zombie games I’ve played, like The Last of Us 1 & 2, never succeeded in creating these feelings, or the kinds of random, thrilling scenarios that Days Gone did.

This game also had an incredible trophy list, 90% of which came naturally for me just by playing through the game. I never had to think about trophies or go out of my way to unlock them, which kept me fully immersed in the game world at all times.

Out of the nearly 200 games I’ve platinumed, Days Gone easily ranks among the top 5 funnest platinum journeys I’ve ever had. Maybe even top 3. I truly loved every second of this game, and I cannot wait to come back and do it all again in the future so I can get the 100%.

This is my second account and this game would not go in my top 50, let alone top 5. Had to play it to give it a try, it turned out that I won't play this game again on my main account. Two playthroughs are enough. Get 100% and delete it out of my library

• Like 4

5 hours ago, K-e-r-c-k said:

This is my second account and this game would not go in my top 50, let alone top 5. Had to play it to give it a try, it turned out that I won't play this game again on my main account. Two playthroughs are enough. Get 100% and delete it out of my library

That’s fair enough man, different strokes for different folks and all. Who knows though.. maybe you will come back to it in the future one day and see it in a new light?

I played Days Gone earlier this year (so quite late in the game) and when I was doing some research in the beginning I stumbled across a couple “re-reviews” to this effect, which I thought were really interesting.

Although I tend to ignore the critics and game “journalists” most of the time as I find they are often completely disconnected from reality and always at odds with the general public consensus, it was pretty much impossible to ignore the nearly universal disdain and negativity coming out their mouths when Days Gone was released. They absolutely savaged the game on release and I remember hearing about it at the time, and I think hearing all of that through the grapevine probably helped shape my low expectations for the game.

But it was really interesting reading the perspective of a couple guys who initially hated the game and reviewed it very poorly, only to come back later and have a completely new experience, and then re-write their reviews to reflect their thoughts.

I know from my own experience that life is funny that way, and sometimes a piece of art or entertainment just won’t resonate with you at all for some reason. But then later on, maybe during a different mood or a completely different time in your life, you see it again and it’s like seeing it with a different set of eyes that changes everything. I’ve had this happen to me quite a few times, especially with music.

Who knows, maybe this will happen to you one day. At least I hope it does, because I think there’s so much to love and appreciate about this game. ?

Ps - Agree with you 100% on what you said about Ghost of Tsushima above. I just finished it yesterday and well... holy fuck! Such an incredible game. For me personally, it was actually very comparable to Days Gone in the immersion, the beauty of the world, the surprising depth of the story, and the perfect trophy list.

• Like 1

On 15.1.2021 at 4:23 PM, Eraezr said:

I've heard it plays crisp in the PS5 version, to the point where it feels like a better game. Native 4K, hordes running at 60fps.

I can agree with this. Runs very smooth at PS5. Never experienced any Texture Lags or other Bugs (Playtime ~5-6h). Loading Times are incredibly fast. ☺️

• 3 months later...

Yeah, I got three hours into it and uninstalled. I've played FAR too many games this generation that played exactly like this. I could just see this next several hours playing out in front of me. It honestly just made me reflect on how similar and redundant so many titles in the last seven years have been. Identical open world setup and systems, identical hoarding and crafting systems, dull mission design, easy platinum that 30% of people have and then the developers added New Game + trophies months after the fact. It's such a predictable formula at this point.

I obviously don't have anything against the developers and I wish them luck with their next project, but playing this game for a couple hours made me realize how many hundreds of hours of my life over the past several years have been wasted playing games that were just "fine" and coasted by on being cinematic. No thanks, I got too many games, books and shows in my backlog to get to.

• Like 4

i hated how slow it was at the start that i shelved it for a year. I eventually just saw enough mixed reviews that i played through it. While i enjoyed parts of it, there was a few things i found pointless. The gas for the bike... sure in the beginning it makes you think... damn. i Need to be near a fuel station. However once you get a better tank id say 30% of the way through you don't really need to worry about it.

The end game/late game hordes aren't hard as fhey are just tedious. i finished the sawmill horde early somehow but i couldn't get the completion for it until post game. 

I would give it a 6/10. Its a little above average. Nothin spectacular. But still enough to entertain for a bit. 

• Like 1

IMO, this game was an amazing achievement technically. I loved taking down freaker hordes and riding the bike but the storey, voice acting, and overall pacing let it down. It is as shame that it will not get a sequel, which I think it deserves. For entries such as this, the second iteration is usually much better as they address the issue from the first one.

It's issue, I think, was that due to the fact that it was such a hard game to create from a technical point of view (watch dev diaries about making freaker hordes). As a result, they did not spend / have enough time to polish other aspects, specifically the story, voice acting and overall pacing of the game.

The storey and voice acting were awful in my opinion. The start of the game is just your typically, generic, open world stuff. I played this after Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice and the world and story seemed very bland in comparison. 

The mechanic that is unique to days gone, and where it shines, taking on large freaker hordes, is not introduced until much later in the campaign. The initial hordes aren’t even part of the story, you have to search for them.

• Like 1

I wish I could have enjoyed it like you guys, but literally in the first 30 minutes of gameplay (motorcycle ride intro) I fell through the map 3 times because of it not loading. As well as abysmal assets popping in, not talking about textures (that too though) but it felt like big rocks would fall from the sky and land right in front of me. Reminded me of the ending car ride of Far Cry 5. I thought they fixed this kind of stuff?

i'll put it in my back log though, but only because of my love of Syphon Filter, I want to give it a fair chance.

• 1 month later...