Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xVolloxx

Are video games ready for real horror ?

11 posts in this topic

Are video games ready for real horror ?

So what do you guys think are Video Games and or People ready for real Horror ? 

Edited by TheBolloxx

The gamers are (ready*) but I don't know if developpers (and Sony of course) are ready to bet on the horror games.
In my opinion, it's disapointing since I enjoyed a lot those games because there the ones that makes you feel the most inside the game

Ive always said that horror movies, that now the only true scary thing to see are horror games. Sadly the best ones are on PC: Amnesia, Outlast, Dont Starve.... Hopefully that new Shinji Mikami game The Evil Within will kick some ass

Ive always said that horror movies, that now the only true scary thing to see are horror games. Sadly the best ones are on PC: Amnesia, Outlast, Dont Starve.... Hopefully that new Shinji Mikami game The Evil Within will kick some ass

The gamers are (ready*) but I don't know if developpers (and Sony of course) are ready to bet on the horror games.

In my opinion, it's disapointing since I enjoyed a lot those games because there the ones that makes you feel the most inside the game

Only thing they have to provide is open publishing - horror is not genre that's served well by high budget and production values anyway - best horror games are and will be small, indie, with sub-par graphics, but amazing sound engineering (way more important obviously) and atmosphere.

Also - with Oculus Rift on the horizon, many pants will be shat. Because of general idea of horror, immersion is king, and nothing allows it to be better, than OR. With OR there is no escape, you can't look away from screen, because there is no room and bookshelf to your left, there is only more stone walls and terror. Look for some videos on YT - a lot is just a general concept, or short, 10-15 minutes experiences, but boy, does it look crazy. Hopefully we will see OR and similar devices emerging as new kind of generic display, available to every platform, so it can go beyond PC.

Edited by AkodoRyu

Yeah man I really are looking forward for that Oculus Rift and it really sucks that producers does not support real horror games as they deserved

Always hated horror stuff and always will, so no, nothing is ready :P

Horror games start out strong, then they become action in an attempt to appeal to a broader audience. I'm not sure they can establish themselves on their own given the fact the majority of gamers these days want the next Call of Duty. Hate to say something so generic, but it's kind of undeniable.

Horror games have always had a niche audience and I feel they will always be. But with the advent of today's growing modding community and indie developers there is probably even more potential now than there was before for new great scary games.