Is the remake easier than the original?

Maahniac

I'm currently playing through the Demon's Souls remake and enjoying the hell out of it, but I can't stop wondering if the remake is easier than the original game? I played the original way back in 2012, and I remember what a tough time I had with it. I remember lots of frustrating encounters and how my patience suffered a lot, but I'm not really having any hard times with the remake. The only area where I've truly had a hard time was during the Maneaters battle. Of course, there have been other challenging areas, but nothing more than "Oh, that didn't work. Let me try this the next time", and then succeeding with a new strategy after 1 or 2 more attempts. It truly feels like a much more casual experience than it was 9 years ago, so has the game been made easier, or have I simply become a better gamer?

If it's the latter... then MAYBE I'll FINALLY have the courage to take on the other Soulsborne games! :D

• Like 1

I haven't played the original. But after getting Platinums in Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3 (both solo incl. DLCs), and Sekiro, I had the same feelings. Still a solid challenge but hardly struggling in comparison to the mentioned games. Great atmosphere, though!

Edited by BloodyRutz

No, it’s the same. Games just get easier when you’ve played them (or similar games) before. It is less painful thanks to quick loading vs PS3. The more you play something the easier it becomes. That’s why Crushing in Uncharted is always my easiest play though. I play through on normal and then hard first. 

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Maahniac said:

I'm currently playing through the Demon's Souls remake and enjoying the hell out of it, but I can't stop wondering if the remake is easier than the original game? I played the original way back in 2012, and I remember what a tough time I had with it. I remember lots of frustrating encounters and how my patience suffered a lot, but I'm not really having any hard times with the remake. The only area where I've truly had a hard time was during the Maneaters battle. Of course, there have been other challenging areas, but nothing more than "Oh, that didn't work. Let me try this the next time", and then succeeding with a new strategy after 1 or 2 more attempts. It truly feels like a much more casual experience than it was 9 years ago, so has the game been made easier, or have I simply become a better gamer?

If it's the latter... then MAYBE I'll FINALLY have the courage to take on the other Soulsborne games! :D

i have not played the new game but from what I saw of all the streams and videos it looks and must feel abit easy due to it being abit easier to do things as og demon souls was clunky with some things such as how the blight town level was annoying and now they made it somewhat easy now, like they removed the baby bones that attack you when your fighting a main boss there in the remake but yeah. However they made some things abit more annoying like how much hp items you can carry and made extra enemies that were never there in the storm temple level and so on.

Going back to the item limit. It is abit annoying as if you think about it having 99 of any kind of healing item was good and all but it wouldn't save you in combat with bosses if you just suck. I mean I ended up eating about two stacks of 99 full moon grass due to grinding for the pure blade stone and it helped me and even if you could out do enemies with the herbs it does not really matter as they are healing items and most cases then not you would grind to have more. I grinded like crap for them in demon souls mostly the full moon grass and the dark moon grass as it was really useful in fights with enemies like the sloth demon thing forgot the name of it but yeah.

But yeah overall the game looks great and is being somewhat a lot like the og game but it is slightly easier then the og one and plus with the small changes it is kind of bs but yeah you got to give and take with what you get. but I don't get what anyone says demon souls remake is not worth £70 or even a whole new console for it as they are still somewhat the same game just better looking having afew extras bits and bobs and so on but yeah am going on a ramble again.

Edited by KANERKB

It has been made easier in ways, the platinum is certainly easier than the original, the rng has been vastly improved for the pure bladestone drop, in the original the rate was a 0.01% drop rate and literally took me months of farming, and frame rates, more fluid character controls will naturally make things easier, i only really decided to post to tell you that if you enjoy this game, you MUST play the Souls trilogy, you owe it to yourself, if you can do one you can do them all and you would be missing out on 3 fantastic worlds to explore, youll thank yourself for doing them, il never forget some of the bosses and areas from those games, my favorite boss in the entire series is probably Sir Aloane, he was hard, every boss should have been that difficult, a lot were too easy, also the Ornstein and Smough fight was cool, i miss playing them all

41 minutes ago, Shmeefly said:

i only really decided to post to tell you that if you enjoy this game, you MUST play the Souls trilogy, you owe it to yourself, if you can do one you can do them all and you would be missing out on 3 fantastic worlds to explore, youll thank yourself for doing them, il never forget some of the bosses and areas from those games, my favorite boss in the entire series is probably Sir Aloane, he was hard, every boss should have been that difficult, a lot were too easy, also the Ornstein and Smough fight was cool, i miss playing them all

Yeah I definitely plan on doing that. It's almost like a whole new world opening up, now that I've gotten an interest in the Soulsborne genre ? How do the various games compare difficulty-wise? Is Bloodborne considered the hardest, and Demon's Souls the easiest? 

Thanks for your replies guys! 

5 hours ago, Maahniac said:

Yeah I definitely plan on doing that. It's almost like a whole new world opening up, now that I've gotten an interest in the Soulsborne genre 1f602.png How do the various games compare difficulty-wise? Is Bloodborne considered the hardest, and Demon's Souls the easiest? 

I think generally people seem to agree on Demon's Souls being 'easier' but to be honest theyre all more or less the same curve, each game has a couple challenging sections or bosses, bloodborne has different mechanics than souls, the removal of shields entirely being the most daunting of changes, but its made up for by giving the player a gun to stagger enemies like a shield parry would if timed correctly, and a very generous dodge mechanic that grants the player damage immunity if timed well too, more than makes up for not having a black knight shield

Still to play Sekiro, that would be considered the harder game probably, lots of others are good tto

Edited by Shmeefly

On 14-1-2021 at 3:19 PM, Maahniac said:

Yeah I definitely plan on doing that. It's almost like a whole new world opening up, now that I've gotten an interest in the Soulsborne genre 1f602.png How do the various games compare difficulty-wise? Is Bloodborne considered the hardest, and Demon's Souls the easiest? 

Darksouls 3 = easy and I liked that one the most but getting items offline is a nightmare grind I spent countless hours of farming for the platinum.

Darksouls 1 = very easy if you get the OP weapon early game(not sure what the name is)

Bloodborne felt hard because of the framedrops for me but only the DLC boss called Kos is superhard everything else isnt too bad

sekiro was my worst nightmare because it’s imo pure skillbased and you can’t overlevel or use different builds

Never played DS2.

I platinumed the original and the remake back to back, and the biggest thing that could affect your enjoyment of the original compared to the remake is that there is no online to save you if you make a mistake with World Tendency. Additionally, Demon's Souls (2009) has the item duplication glitch, which absolutely breaks the game in terms of difficulty and can trivialize even the middling challenge the game presented without it.

If you're ok with an easier prospect of messing up WT but way more broken exploits than the gold coin glitch, the original is much easier and worth your time if you enjoy the remake.

• Like 1