PS4 Ultimate Edition won't recognize original save file from launch edition

OOSponce

Hey there,

I was wondering if anybody has experienced a similar issue to what I'm currently dealing with.  I bought the game at launch and platinumed it.  Traded it back to Gamestop.  I recently picked up the Ultimate Edition on the PS store sale to finish off the DLC but when I boot the game up it doesn't give me the option to continue where I left off.  It only allows me to begin a 'New Game.'

Its like the Ultimate Edition is its own separate game yet it shares the same trophy list with the original version.  My original save data still exists on the hard drive too and I'm still using the same PS4 I originally beat the game on.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by OOSponce

15 minutes ago, Cobbsquatch said:

It's not meant to, it's a different version of the game, same as base Mordor wont recognise Mordor GOTY, or any game wont recognize GOTY.

Mordor has a 2 lists one for the launch version and one for the GOTY another example of this is The witcher. So this doesn't make sense at least put out a new list if you count them as separate games.

1 hour ago, OOSponce said:

I was wondering if anybody has experienced a similar issue to what I'm currently dealing with.  I bought the game at launch and platinumed it.  Traded it back to Gamestop.  I recently picked up the Ultimate Edition on the PS store sale to finish off the DLC but when I boot the game up it doesn't give me the option to continue where I left off.  It only allows me to begin a 'New Game.'

Thanks for making this post I was about to just pick up the ultimate edition for the dlc I might have to rethink that now not really in the mood to restart another game.

18 minutes ago, WaschbaerWitch said:

Mordor has a 2 lists one for the launch version and one for the GOTY another example of this is The witcher. So this doesn't make sense at least put out a new list if you count them as separate games.

Not every GOTY has 2 seperate lists cos GOTY.. Borderlands 1 didn't BL2 didn't. (until they were ported to PS4) plenty of other games didn't either. I just can't think of em cos I'm drunk :)

• Like 2

The game is on PS PLUS on February i platinum the game and have a save with al maxed out, is possibile play ONLY the 2 DLC with a fresh character? Or i need to replay the whole game? Thx

EDIT: I read now you need to complete the game first DAMN. 

Edited by Neme-ita

Are you sure? A quick Google search showed this message on a number of websites:

Hi,

Thank you for contacting 505 Games support.

Unfortunately, save-data from the base PS4 game isn’t compatible with the PS5 Ultimate Edition.

The PS4 base game saves are compatible with the PS4 Ultimate Edition, however. Additionally, the PS4 Ultimate Edition is eligible for the free PS5 upgrade, in which the save data will be compatible.

• Like 3

On 16. 1. 2021 at 4:45 AM, OOSponce said:

Okay, interesting.  I just bought the PS store digital version after earning the platinum with a physical copy of the launch edition.

There might be something into this. My save file from Uncharted 4 physical version was not recognized by digital version from PS+.

• Like 1

Nothing to do with the save since I pretty much assume the ultimate edition (PS4) won't recognize my R2 save of the original game but can I still 100% that trophy list with the ultimate edition or will dlc trophies not unlock since they are different regions. There doesn't seem to be different region lists though

Alot of game saves from physical releases don't work with digital. 

Maybe physical game copies selled in some countries are "imported versions" or maybe some devs just classify those saves as different 

Edited by leandroxpto

8 hours ago, NZBigC said:

Are you sure? A quick Google search showed this message on a number of websites:

Hi,

Unfortunately, save-data from the base PS4 game isn’t compatible with the PS5 Ultimate Edition.

The PS4 base game saves are compatible with the PS4 Ultimate Edition, however. Additionally, the PS4 Ultimate Edition is eligible for the free PS5 upgrade, in which the save data will be compatible.

Is this basically saying if you got the plat on the normal version and want the ps5 plat. You can load up your PS4 save to the ultimate edition on your PS4 first, get that save and then use that new one to auto pop on 5? 

As we are getting the ultimate edition for both surely this would work 

Edited by mikem192
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mikem192 said:

Is this basically saying if you got the plat on the normal version and want the ps5 plat. You can load up your PS4 save to the ultimate edition on your PS4 first, get that save and then use that new one to auto pop on 5? 

As we are getting the ultimate edition for both surely this would work 

As people are reporting. So long as your standard version is the same as your ultimate version (digital & digital OR physical & physical)
Depending on how the trophies are programmed it might auto pop or it might not. depends entirely on how the developers programmed the trophy checks.

On 2021-01-27 at 0:33 PM, NZBigC said:

Hi,

This is good news, but a bit confusing. Why are so many people saying the opposite?

I platinumed Control on a physical copy that I rented, and was hoping to finish the 100% when the Ultimate Edition (PS4) hits PS+ tomorrow. But now I’m wondering if that will even be possible? ☹️

edit: Just to clarify, I no longer have the disc on which I platinumed this game.

What I’m wondering is whether or not I’ll be able to download the digital version of Control: Ultimate Edition (PS4) from PS+, import my base game save file from the cloud, and then use that data to go straight to the DLCs to clean up the remaining trophies.

Has anybody done this and can confirm if it will work?

Edited by dieselmanchild

18 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

This is good news, but a bit confusing. Why are so many people saying the opposite?

I platinumed Control on a physical copy that I rented, and was hoping to finish the 100% when the Ultimate Edition (PS4) hits PS+ tomorrow. But now I’m wondering if that will even be possible? 2639.png

edit: Just to clarify, I no longer have the disc on which I platinumed this game.

What I’m wondering is whether or not I’ll be able to download the digital version of Control: Ultimate Edition (PS4) from PS+, import my base game save file from the cloud, and then use that data to go straight to the DLCs to clean up the remaining trophies.

Same boat but i think don't work T_T I have physical copy months ago and now this in DD... I read don't work

On 1/27/2021 at 8:33 PM, NZBigC said:

Hi,

People need to stop passing that comment around (or referring to it in later posts). That was from October last year - since then the engine and game has been changed and due to that, you can't import any saves from the ps4 versions into the ps5. You'll have to start again.

21 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I platinumed Control on a physical copy that I rented, and was hoping to finish the 100% when the Ultimate Edition (PS4) hits PS+ tomorrow. But now I’m wondering if that will even be possible? 2639.png

2 hours ago, Neme-ita said:

Same boat but i think don't work T_T I have physical copy months ago and now this in DD... I read don't work

I downloaded the digital Ultimate Edition PS4 version on my PS5. I downloaded the save file from the cloud that was from the physical NA standard disc version of Control. Booted the game and the save file let me continue from where I last finished. I'm not exactly sure how to access the DLC (it's been over a year), but the progress carries on.

So to confirm, the save file from the standard disc version is compatible with the digital ultimate edition version, at least in the NA region.

1 hour ago, diskdocx said:

I downloaded the digital Ultimate Edition PS4 version on my PS5. I downloaded the save file from the cloud that was from the physical NA standard disc version of Control. Booted the game and the save file let me continue from where I last finished. I'm not exactly sure how to access the DLC (it's been over a year), but the progress carries on.

So to confirm, the save file from the standard disc version is compatible with the digital ultimate edition version, at least in the NA region.

I don’t have a PS5 so I’ll be doing PS4 > PS4, but hopefully it works like it did for you. Your comment has me hopeful at least! 

I’m downloading the game tonight and will hopefully be able to test it and confirm for people here whether it works or not.

35 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

I don’t have a PS5 so I’ll be doing PS4 > PS4, but hopefully it works like it did for you. Your comment has me hopeful at least! 

I’m downloading the game tonight and will hopefully be able to test it and confirm for people here whether it works or not.

Can’t see any reason it wouldn’t. Playing the PS4 version on the PS5 instead of the 4 should have no bearing on things. 

But the regions will have to match 

17 minutes ago, abhinandhan22 said:

I just tested it but for me it's a R2 physical copy save and the digital is the US copy and the ultimate ed on ps4 didn't read my original file save. Now I just need to know if ultimate ed on ps4(played from scratch) autopops trophies on ps5 ultimate ed

Yeah, that won’t work. I don’t think R1 and R2 game saves are ever cross compatible. Certainly that’s not standard. If you went out and bought an R1 physical copy, the R2 save wouldn’t work with it, so really your experience only confirms that saves aren’t compatible across regions.

And for point 2, no there is no auto pop. There is no save transfer option from PS4 to PS5

Well, good news! Once I downloaded and installed the Ultimate Edition, the option to Continue was already there in the menu. It loaded me straight into the game where I left off, with 2 new DLC missions available immediately.

So for anyone else wondering if you can use the Ultimate Edition to get 100% after platinuming the base version of the game, the answer is yes. ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, diskdocx said:

Can’t see any reason it wouldn’t. Playing the PS4 version on the PS5 instead of the 4 should have no bearing on things. 

But the regions will have to match 

Yeah, that won’t work. I don’t think R1 and R2 game saves are ever cross compatible. Certainly that’s not standard. If you went out and bought an R1 physical copy, the R2 save wouldn’t work with it, so really your experience only confirms that saves aren’t compatible across regions.

And for point 2, no there is no auto pop. There is no save transfer option from PS4 to PS5

Thanks for that confirmation. I guess ill just replay the game on PS5 from scratch