Is Sony giving up on Japan?

Sendai-Horatio

5 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

I'm referring to their hardware, weak and or gimmicky. I actually Enjoyed Mario Sunshine allot back on the NGC, that console had some pretty good games. I think the N64 was the beginning of the end for Nintendo. I think they are selfish because they can afford to be.

Both in fact. Their hardware and very limited options beyond their exclusives and select indie/Japanese games is why I do not consider them to play any vital part in this console race. Cartridges created issues with Konami, Capcom and Square Enix wanting FMV (full motion video) so they jumped ship to Sony.

Nintendo's fanbase is perhaps the most overly sensitive, overly defensive group I've had the displeasure of coming across. I love Zelda, always have, probably always will. But I won't pretend and try to state that everything about the latest Zelda game was great, especially when I felt other games that came out think they deserved just as much attention if not more.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Their franchises have lasted for generations. Mario is just as appealing to me now as he was 20 years ago.

The Gamecube was the beginning of the decline in my opinion. Nintendo held on to cartridges which made Konami, Capcom and Square Enix jump ship to PS1/PS2, making a number of historically great and timeless games (Metal Gear Solid 2, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy X). The Wii console, as much as I enjoyed some of the games (Wario Wares, Super Mario Galaxy) felt more gimmicky than practical. The Wii U I was even less happy for, although I feel the Switch is now benefiting from some anime titles that couldn't get a Sony release.

I love Nintendo, but I can't consider them to be part of the console race at all. Even their handhelds I have considered to be separate from a very long time.

They are part of Consoles.

Final Fantasy and Metal Gear is Third party stuff and Gamecube were mini discs not cartridges.

Imo the beginning of the end of Nintendo was the Wii, not business side but game side. 

Right now I think it's the end of Sony IMO . Unless some more studios that go above and beyond but as of right now Steam is platform king despite being all digital & early access. That being said all platforms change over time, I didn't like Steam in 2008 but it rapidly became awesome in 2010-2014 with good deals, I feel like alot of good games come out on steam nowadays. I like Playstation 1998-2017,  Nintendo 2001-2006 handheld till 2013,  Steam 2010-2021

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fyiByas said:

They are part of Consoles.

Final Fantasy and Metal Gear is Third party stuff and Gamecube were mini discs not cartridges.

Imo the beginning of the end of Nintendo was the Wii, not business side but game side. 

Right now I think it's the end of Sony IMO . Unless some more studios that go above and beyond but as of right now Steam is platform king despite being all digital & early access. That being said all platforms change over time, I didn't like Steam in 2008 but it rapidly became awesome in 2010-2014 with good deals, I feel like alot of good games come out on steam nowadays. I like Playstation 1998-2017,  Nintendo 2001-2006 handheld till 2013,  Steam 2010-2021

I was referring to the Nintendo 64. I just considered the Gamecube as marking the beginning of the decline for Nintendo.

Steam is practically the end all be all. Xbox, Sony, neither of them can compete. For as many great titles Steam has, they have just as many if not more shovelware, which Steam originated and made popular as a term.

Edited by AJ_Radio

34 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I was referring to the Nintendo 64. I just considered the Gamecube as marking the beginning of the decline for Nintendo.

Steam is practically the end all be all. Xbox, Sony, neither of them can compete. For as many great titles Steam has, they have just as many if not more shovelware, which Steam originated and made popular as a term.

But the achievements are a joke and Mouse/KB games are no good for us couch gamers. Then there's the cheaters and the cost of a PC that can compete, I'm pretty sure my PC has more power then my PS5 and XB Series X. My home built PC also cost several thousand to make and we're not all lucky enough to just have that to spend. Steam is good for exclusives, Like the upcoming Kingpin remake. But I'd play competitive online with console over PC any day of the week. 

Steams Shovelware is appauling.

On 2/27/2021 at 7:27 PM, AlchemistWer said:

The prestige Sony won for years is starting to decay. The problem is that at the same time, Sony is really big and I don't see many companies in Japan move to another console like nintendo without realese their games on playstation. Something that is very possible is that more visual novels move to nintendo at the same time companies realesed the full game (+18) on PC like they always does. 

Maybe playstation is just abusing his power since games that can't be on switch like any final fantasy games does not have any other choice, but at the same time other companies or games series know very well where the money is. Sony can't do anything with switch, but at the same time both companies can't fight with the greatest enemy of portable games, phone games.

Is very sad what Sony want do with him new "focus on america only" but again, I don't see a revolution of  japaneses companies moving to nintendo just for that.

This will be switch only it seems

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/03/livestream-escape-from-hotel-izanami-debut-trailer-details-and-screenshots

• 7 months later...

It is now safe to assume it has, now better to just wait and get the rest i was interested on sales.

It's time to start slowly moving on, it was good while it lasted i guess ~_~

https://gamingbolt.com/it-is-official-sony-seems-to-be-over-japan-heres-what-that-could-mean-for-the-future-of-playstation

And this is so true

https://shekelhertz.com/sony-continues-hypocritically-lying-about-playstation-being-for-the-japanese-market/

Edited by Nelson_

I'm not one of those weebs, weeaboos that a good portion of people on this website seem to be. The culture itself is quite frankly, sickening, evidenced in the idiotic Mega V-Tubers thread where people actually believe and act like anime characters just because. That's at least my impression of them.

I still think Sony blantantly ignoring what Japan is capable of and turning out a series of games is going to hurt them in the long run. I would argue that if you want the latest and greatest, you're going to have to move to Nintendo Switch. Sony has also ignored some good games out there and have gone with what they desire the most. Money. With current trophy standards we're constantly seeing EZ games flood the store in the name of quick profits.

The Last of Us Part II winning so many awards and being granted GOTY for the year 2020 is proof the standards have fallen. Sony seems to be okay with a western game like The Last of Us Part II showing crude disturbing violence and some themes that would make people cringe, but they have an issue with an anime character showing a bit of skin and some tits. This is barely worthy of censorship and I absolutely despise censorship.

At least there's the Yakuza franchise. That's a series I wholeheartedly intend to play and look forward to. I couldn't care less for the anime styles of today that cater to an audience that suffers from low attention spans and are usually weebs that can't stand the own culture they live in.

• Like 1

Not really just Sony, but Japan and other Japanese devs has been slowly giving up on Playstation ever since the PS3.

The PS4 was launched in Japan practically last in the world, not first.

Then we have PS5 release date line up.

https://www.pushsquare.com/guides/all-ps5-launch-games

No more Tekken, Ridge Racer etc or any of the new cool next gen titles that we saw with PS1 and PS2.

Astro's Playroom is the only game on there as far as I can tell, and even then, that studio has now been closed. God Of War 3 was so much more advanced technically than Metal Gear Solid 4 (arguably the best game in Japan from 2008), the rest of the world has just gotten better at making games.

You can't really blame Sony for this move since they are making so much money outside of Japan, Nintendo is unstoppable again with the Switch, the Switch and shitty smart phone games rule Japan.

Who would have thought that when Nintendo released the WiiU. What a difference a generation makes.

Edited by enaysoft

1 hour ago, enaysoft said:

No more Tekken, Ridge Racer etc or any of the new cool next gen titles that we saw with PS1 and PS2.

Astro's Playroom is the only game on there as far as I can tell, and even then, that studio has now been closed. God Of War 3 was so much more advanced technically than Metal Gear Solid 4 (arguably the best game in Japan from 2008), the rest of the world has just gotten better at making games.

You can't really blame Sony for this move since they are making so much money outside of Japan, Nintendo is unstoppable again with the Switch, the Switch and shitty smart phone games rule Japan.

Who would have thought that when Nintendo released the WiiU. What a difference a generation makes.

We've shared that conversation regarding modern anime. Anime as a whole went in the same direction western cartoons did beforehand. They got dumbed down, and by catering to a mainstream audience they lost a lot of the core audience that stuck with it when it was niche.

Even anime/manga fandom has gone down the tubes. I almost puked in my soup when I was playing XBlaze Lost: Memories, because it was utterly dumbed down bullshit catering to people with low attention spans. I remember decades ago I watched Akira and Ghost in the Shell, how fucking phenomenal they were. They weren't just graphical vistas either, there were stories and tidbits that took a bit of brainpower to figure out. My dad had me watch both of them, and he wasn't an anime fan at all.

It seems much of the anime of today is incapable of even matching or exceeding the quality of shows like Dragonball Z. Even Inuyasha and Yu-gi-oh had themes that weren't just dumbed down. Some of the stuff that aired on the Toonami block on Cartoon Network was actually decent, even if it was all shitty English dubs.

Nintendo Wii U was panned by a lot of people, because it was mostly a superior version of the Nintendo Wii that had a lot of the same games. The Switch does feel like a step forward, but like with the past few generations, Nintendo is having to rely on exclusives and indie games to make their sales.

What's funny to me is most of these weebs today weren't even around when anime was regarded as more cool.

10 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I almost puked in my soup when I was playing XBlaze Lost: Memories, because it was utterly dumbed down bullshit catering to people with low attention spans.

Soup seems a really unusual food to eat while gaming!

Do you use a straw, or are you gaming one-handed, with the spoon in the other?

8 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Soup seems a really unusual food to eat while gaming!

Do you use a straw, or are you gaming one-handed, with the spoon in the other?

lol. I put my PS4 controller on my desk and since I am left handed I often either have a spoon, or chopsticks in my left hand, so I can move left analogue stick with my right hand, I also sometimes rest the entire PS4 controller on my right knee and use my thumb to move and some of my other fingers to press buttons while eating with my left hand.

There are often many times in games where you don't need full control of the pad so you can just nurse on the dialogue screens/walks to the next location in the game without fear of dying/low danger.

And then there's the pause game for 3 seconds, shove a huge mouthful in with a spoon, then unpause and gameplay while chewing for 20-30 seconds, rinse and repeat. I thought everyone ate food while they were playing.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

lol. I put my PS4 controller on my desk and since I am left handed I often either have a spoon, or chopsticks in my left hand, so I can move left analogue stick with my right hand, I also sometimes rest the entire PS4 controller on my right knee and use my thumb to move and some of my other fingers to press buttons while eating with my left hand.

There are often many times in games where you don't need full control of the pad so you can just nurse on the dialogue screens/walks to the next location in the game without fear of dying/low danger.

And then there's the pause game for 3 seconds, shove a huge mouthful in with a spoon, then unpause and gameplay while chewing for 20-30 seconds, rinse and repeat. I thought everyone ate food while they were playing.

Hey - I remember back in the SNES days, there were a few games that would make the L shoulder button a multi-use catch-all button doing everything, so you could game one-handed - I assume that was so you could smoke or eat with the other... :hmm:

'course, the problem for me, is I'm left-handed, so even doing that, the soup would still have ended up all over me ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Hey - I remember back in the SNES days, there were a few games that would make the L shoulder button a multi-use catch-all button doing everything, so you could game one-handed - I assume that was so you could smoke or eat with the other... :hmm:

'course, the problem for me, is I'm left-handed, so even doing that, the soup would still have ended up all over me 1f602.png

Weirdly I am ambidextrous, but in the weird extent where usually I am better in one direction but it's random.

Like I kick a ball with my left foot, eat with my left hand. I write with my right hand and in ye old days, of the one button joystick days, I was always right handed, but then became left handed once dpads, arcade joysticks had them on the left.

Personally I've never understood why everyone isn't left handed when they eat, I mean. How is stabbing with a fork and then inserting into your mouth any different from inserting some soup/food onto a spoon and then inserting it into your mouth. A bit like how everyone is right handed driving in America but left in the UK, because that's just the rules of the road.

I think everyone is ambidextrous, it's just when people have the choice, they tend to choose their favourite side. It's incredibly difficult to write Japanese with your left hand so you're kinda forced to be right handed here.

Anyway, sorry, but we're getting off topic.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I'm not one of those weebs, weeaboos that a good portion of people on this website seem to be. The culture itself is quite frankly, sickening, evidenced in the idiotic Mega V-Tubers thread where people actually believe and act like anime characters just because. That's at least my impression of them.

Not liking a culture is one thing, generalizing is another :) I don't idealize any culture if you know what i mean, and no i don't act the way your describing there lmao

Yes im sure people will call me a weeb cause i don't like american culture in general but i don't critic their taste or call them murica or whatever like the weeb term came around.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nelson_ said:

Not liking a culture is one thing, generalizing is another :) I don't idealize any culture if you know what i mean, and no i don't act the way your describing there lmao

Yes im sure people will call me a weeb cause i don't like american culture in general but i don't critic their taste or call them murica or whatever like the weeb term came around.

I am generalizing because in my experience the weeb culture didn't come to prominence until anime itself became mainstream. But it usually refers to people living outside of Japan who are overly obsessed with Japanese culture, to the point where they usually don't stop thinking about it. 

4Chan to a degree helped foster the culture. My generation helped propel anime to the forefront, because of our sheer love of Pokemon, Dragonball Z and Sailor Moon. We seem to have this obsession with things like Resident Evil and Final Fantasy, which have millions of fanboys likely due to the fact that both franchises came out of Japan.

I've enjoyed my share of Japanese games but I never felt the need or desire to dress up like an anime character. Nor do I have any desire to watch the crap the VTubers post on YouTube. None of what they make is any sense to me anyway. I don't like anime conventions for the same reasons I don't like Comic-Con. It's all about dressing up. I usually see people a little younger than me dress up as a certain character, such as Cloud from Final Fantasy VII, or one of the many Resident Evil characters, despite the fact that they are in their 30s like myself.

It's a sort of phenomenon that has me concerned as well as intrigued. The adult weeb culture is just flat out weird to me.

9 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

We've shared that conversation regarding modern anime. Anime as a whole went in the same direction western cartoons did beforehand. They got dumbed down, and by catering to a mainstream audience they lost a lot of the core audience that stuck with it when it was niche.

Even anime/manga fandom has gone down the tubes. I almost puked in my soup when I was playing XBlaze Lost: Memories, because it was utterly dumbed down bullshit catering to people with low attention spans. I remember decades ago I watched Akira and Ghost in the Shell, how fucking phenomenal they were. They weren't just graphical vistas either, there were stories and tidbits that took a bit of brainpower to figure out. My dad had me watch both of them, and he wasn't an anime fan at all.

It seems much of the anime of today is incapable of even matching or exceeding the quality of shows like Dragonball Z. Even Inuyasha and Yu-gi-oh had themes that weren't just dumbed down. Some of the stuff that aired on the Toonami block on Cartoon Network was actually decent, even if it was all shitty English dubs.

Nintendo Wii U was panned by a lot of people, because it was mostly a superior version of the Nintendo Wii that had a lot of the same games. The Switch does feel like a step forward, but like with the past few generations, Nintendo is having to rely on exclusives and indie games to make their sales.

What's funny to me is most of these weebs today weren't even around when anime was regarded as more cool.

The stuff you're talking about AJ is stuff that kind of arose around the 2000's and 2010's. Moe shows were of especially low quality when it came to content, but they existed for the sole purpose of selling merchandise. Tons of people bough up stuff relating to many other shows where there was no substance because all they wanted was cute girls. So the shows existed to basically just sell toys. People may not consider PVC figures, Figmas, and Nendos traditional types of toys, but they're toys none the less. The companies made a ton on merch and the animation quality clearly wasn't there.

It drove a good number of people away from anime because what made it special really wasn't there with those shows and they were what was popular at the time. SoL (slice of life) gets thrown around a lot to describe these shows too, but many of the shows are devoid of any real substance. Like right now Isekai is popular. But all that isekai is, is fantasy anime with video game rule exposition dumps.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio

10 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I am generalizing because in my experience the weeb culture didn't come to prominence until anime itself became mainstream. But it usually refers to people living outside of Japan who are overly obsessed with Japanese culture, to the point where they usually don't stop thinking about it. 

4Chan to a degree helped foster the culture. My generation helped propel anime to the forefront, because of our sheer love of Pokemon, Dragonball Z and Sailor Moon. We seem to have this obsession with things like Resident Evil and Final Fantasy, which have millions of fanboys likely due to the fact that both franchises came out of Japan.

I've enjoyed my share of Japanese games but I never felt the need or desire to dress up like an anime character. Nor do I have any desire to watch the crap the VTubers post on YouTube. None of what they make is any sense to me anyway. I don't like anime conventions for the same reasons I don't like Comic-Con. It's all about dressing up. I usually see people a little younger than me dress up as a certain character, such as Cloud from Final Fantasy VII, or one of the many Resident Evil characters, despite the fact that they are in their 30s like myself.

It's a sort of phenomenon that has me concerned as well as intrigued. The adult weeb culture is just flat out weird to me.

And who is bringing us shovelware almost everyday now though? Who cares what those people do? Doesn't affect my games the least.

The amount of low quality stuff is far more easier to filter than what the other culture is throwing at us this year lol so i will gladly be a weeb for sure.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nelson_ said:

And who is bringing us shovelware almost everyday now though? Who cares what those people do? Doesn't affect my games the least.

The amount of low quality stuff is far more easier to filter than what the other culture is throwing at us this year lol so i will gladly be a weeb for sure.

I think both are roughly the same in terms of being able to filter bad games.

Like there are a ton of worthwhile games developed in the west.

7 hours ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

The stuff you're talking about AJ is stuff that kind of arose around the 2000's and 2010's. Moe shows were of especially low quality when it came to content, but they existed for the sole purpose of selling merchandise. Tons of people bough up stuff relating to many other shows where there was no substance because all they wanted was cute girls. So the shows existed to basically just sell toys. People may not consider PVC figures, Figmas, and Nendos traditional types of toys, but they're toys none the less. The companies made a ton on merch and the animation quality clearly wasn't there.

It drove a good number of people away from anime because what made it special really wasn't there with those shows and they were what was popular at the time. SoL (slice of life) gets thrown around a lot to describe these shows too, but many of the shows are devoid of any real substance. Like right now Isekai is popular. But all that isekai is, is fantasy anime with video game rule exposition dumps.

Dragonball and Dragonball Z were both decent anime shows that sold a lot of merchandise. They actually premiered in Japan back in the 1980s, but it wasn't until the later half of the 1990s that they would make it to the United States.

We were the first generation to see this stuff and this was a time when western cartoons were going downhill. Then came the Toonami block on Cartoon Network which was how a lot of kids were able to see anime, before things like DVD boxsets were even possible. YouTube was just a blink in someone's eye.

Granted, the animation quality wasn't what you saw with a number of anime films, but that would of been far too costly.

Some of the anime I see now is that stupid crap I see everywhere else. Cute girls, stupid plot lines, you get the idea. It definitely went downhill in the mid - late 2000s and early 2010s. But that was long after Inuyasha and those other shows made a splash on television.

I don't understand people who are over 30 years old who love the cute anime girls and hentai stuff. I grew out of that crap once I left highschool and college.

3 hours ago, Nelson_ said:

I wasn't talking about shovelware games you buy for an easy platinum. I'm talking about this obsession with Japanese culture, that most people here seem to have that largely revolves around the same themes and interests.

I see very little diversity, because it's always the same kind of anime avatars, the same cute girls, the same hentai material.