Realistic numbers (hours&difficulty) to get the platinum now that I've done it

Lezonidas

54 minutes ago, Mohemn_Ammar said:

I've got it in 31 hours only using the glitch on the pantheons which is what i recommend, you'd ruin the experince otherwise

And the game isn't that challenging either so it's not worth it

I've continued playing it even after the plat, I'm now at 59 hours

Yeah, I mean, you need some skill but it's just like Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro, etc, so, for the PSNProfiles standards it would be 6/10 I believe.

But the pantheons without glitch are a nightmare, I'd say 11/10

2 minutes ago, TalalHmd said:

How about doing everything legit and skipping the pantheons?

4/10, 30-ish hours? 

Btw I played this a long time ago, but I kind of remember it being longer than 30 hours? and I only did the campaign 

It depends on your approach, if you do it 100% legit without any guide, exploring everything, looking for the charms yourself it can take way way longer. I looked for the charms, masks and vessels that I didn't get by the end of the game with a guide.

• Like 2

Just now, Lezonidas said:

A bit challenging? It's almost one hour not doing more than a few mistakes, lol.

My point exactly. That’s not 10/10 difficulty ?.

I agree with all your time assessments though. Much more realistic than that ridiculous 12 hour playthrough.

56 minutes ago, TalalHmd said:

Btw I played this a long time ago, but I kind of remember it being longer than 30 hours? and I only did the campaign 

Yeah me too actually. I'am usually quite fast at completing games compared to most estimations but I have almost 60 hours of playtime now and still miss some shards and some trophies. That being said, while I took my time I wasn't overly slow while playing. To me even 30 hours seem very little even though I'am really experienced with this typ of game. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

Everything that is a bit challenging is a 10/10 these days... 

I mean didn't you rush through the game as fast as possible when you played it because of the 7 day ps now limit, and if i remember correctly you used the glitch ASAP. Not the best situation for someone to claim that something is "slightly difficult"

Sure it's not a 10/10, more like an 8-9/10 but not something that is slightly difficult

12 minutes ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

Much more realistic than that ridiculous 12 hour playthrough.

12 hour playthrough of what?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mohemn_Ammar said:

I mean didn't you rush through the game as fast as possible when you played it because of the 7 day ps now limit, and if i remember correctly you used the glitch ASAP. Not the best situation for someone to claim that something is "slightly difficult"

Sure it's not a 10/10, more like an 8-9/10 but not something that is slightly difficult

12 hour playthrough of what?

You remembered correctly ?. But even if I hadn’t used the glitch this wouldn’t have been even close to a 10/10 imo. I’ve played harder things than Hollow Knight, and I haven’t found a game that’s a 10/10 difficulty. Closest thing I can compare HK to is Ys Origin due to the Boss Rush trophies. Ys Origin is already harder and the guide here rates it a 7/10. Also before the glitch was discovered the platinum rarity was somewhere between 2-5%. (Don’t remember exactly)

It’s just that you come across so many threads where people say something is a 10/10 when it just isn’t. Gets a bit tiresome to read. Let them play something like Crypt of the Necrodancer and they will know what a real 10/10 game is.

There is a 12 hour platinum guide on this site. Not realistic at all. The game takes 30 hours to play through excluding the pantheons. It’s kind of a ridiculous time...

Edited by BB-BakkerJ

14 minutes ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

You remembered correctly 1f601.png. But even if I hadn’t used the glitch this wouldn’t have been even close to a 10/10 imo. I’ve played harder things than Hollow Knight, and I haven’t found a game that’s a 10/10 difficulty. Closest thing I can compare HK to is Ys Origin due to the Boss Rush trophies. Ys Origin is already harder and the guide here rates it a 7/10. Also before the glitch was discovered the platinum rarity was somewhere between 2-5%. (Don’t remember exactly)

It’s just that you come across so many threads where people say something is a 10/10 when it just isn’t. Gets a bit tiresome to read. Let them play something like Crypt of the Necrodancer and they will know what a real 10/10 game is.

There is a 12 hour platinum guide on this site. Not realistic at all. The game takes 30 hours to play through excluding the pantheons. It’s kind of a ridiculous time...

I know how you feel, tired of all the people claiming DMC5 is a 10/10 in terms of difficulty when its hardly a 6. You don't even have to be good at the game for it to be this easy cause there's a lot of ways to cheese all mission S Ranks

In terms of Hollow Knight at least it actually has some difficulty involved in it unlike for example DMC5.

I guess using games like Ikaruga, Raiden IV or Dariusburst is a better example of a 10/10 platinum than Necrodancer since it's on a league of it's one lol

About the 12 hour playthrough : it actually states that it'll take you about 50 hours to get the platinum (legit) and that the 12hour time is just an estimation if you're doing everything perfect and not stopping every now and then to check the guide for directions.

Edited by Mohemn_Ammar
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mohemn_Ammar said:

About the 12 hour playthrough : it actually states that it'll take you about 50 hours to get the platinum (legit) and that the 12hour time is just an estimation if you're doing everything perfect and not stopping every now and then to check the guide for directions.

My mistake. I haven’t checked the guide since I played the game. Back then it still stated 12 hours. It seems the guide writer updated it, so that’s a good thing.

• 1 month later...

@BB-BakkerJ i think this platinum definitely deserves a 9/10 rating. 
if you only consider the base game then yeah, HK is not that hard, but try doing the final pantheon legit, and then come back to me. 
That challenge alone skyrockets the plat to AT LEAST an 8/10. It takes hours and hours and hours of practice to pull it off

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lyra215 said:

@BB-BakkerJ i think this platinum definitely deserves a 9/10 rating. 
if you only consider the base game then yeah, HK is not that hard, but try doing the final pantheon legit, and then come back to me. 
That challenge alone skyrockets the plat to AT LEAST an 8/10. It takes hours and hours and hours of practice to pull it off

I just don’t rate games that way. I feel many people rate games way too high as soon as something is a bit challenging. How many so called 10/10 games haven’t we seen in threads. DMC4, DMC5, Crash Bandicoot 4 ?. That’s just ridiculous.

But to be fair I used the glitch so I can’t really rate it either.

My personal rating system is like this:

1-5/10 Whatever...

6/10 Challenging

7/10 Very Challenging 

8/10 Hard (Super Meat Boy)

9/10 Very Hard (Trials Fusion)

10/10 Near Impossible

If I were to make an educated guess, I will rate HK at 7/10.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

I just don’t rate games that way. I feel many people rate games way too high as soon as something is a bit challenging. How many so called 10/10 games haven’t we seen in threads. DMC4, DMC5, Crash Bandicoot 4 1f602.png. That’s just ridiculous.

But to be fair I used the glitch so I can’t really rate it either.

My personal rating system is like this:

1-5/10 Whatever...

6/10 Challenging

7/10 Very Challenging 

8/10 Hard (Super Meat Boy)

9/10 Very Hard (Trials Fusion)

10/10 Near Impossible

If I were to make an educated guess, I will rate HK at 7/10.

The pantheon is actually beyond stupid difficult. But lets be real if you got all the time in the world and take your time and practice I would also rate it around 7.5/8.

BUT I dont have all the time in the world so took me 3 days for the platinum with the glitch on pantheon and under 15hrs for the NA version I tried to speedrun and see if 12hrs is doable. But 12hrs is reallyyy tight even when I knew the layout and where to go :/ (total time played 2 days on psnp).

Can’t be bothered to die 100s of times on something I can abuse ?

• Like 1

On 2021-02-20 at 9:56 PM, Deluziion90 said:

The pantheon is actually beyond stupid difficult. But lets be real if you got all the time in the world and take your time and practice I would also rate it around 7.5/8.

BUT I dont have all the time in the world so took me 3 days for the platinum with the glitch on pantheon and under 15hrs for the NA version I tried to speedrun and see if 12hrs is doable. But 12hrs is reallyyy tight even when I knew the layout and where to go :/ (total time played 2 days on psnp).

Can’t be bothered to die 100s of times on something I can abuse 

Edited by cattpro

2 hours ago, cattpro said:

How long did your first platinum run take? Im planning to start this game and maybe using the glitch, am i looking at 30-40 hours if i follow optinoobys guide and using the glitch asap?

I played the game on 2 monitors 1 ofcourse the game and the other I had the roadmap from this website so that made it easier. It took me around 25hrs afaik. I one shotted most bosses first try. Only 1 or 2 bosses took me maybe 10-20min. 

Second run 15hrs because I didn’t read anything and just blasted through it and I played a lot more agressive.

the guide lets you play tanky and safe so if you go full damage and ignore that it can go a lot faster if you know what you’re doing.

• 10 months later...

The pantheons are definitely difficult and I had especially a hard during the last boss. Using the glitch made this game real easy and I am glad that I learned of this glitch during my Pantheon runs and not earlier.

After activating the glitch you are practically invincible, making the game 1/10. However the prerequisites for the glitch require you to play the game regularly for a while making it (a bit) more difficult.

Game with glitch: 3/10 (no fun)

Only Pantheon with glitch: 6/10 (a lot of fun)

No glitch: 8/10 (a real challenge)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I played the game until credits with as much opitional stuff as I could find without guides and it took me 37 hours.  The main story is only about 4/10 difficulty I would say, the optional bosses are much harder (about 8/10 I would say). 

Going for the plat took me another 20 hours so 57 hours total.  I used the glitch for the pantheons, if you did those without the glitch it would be a 10/10 difficulty and probably countless hours longer, I'm not sure I could have even done it.

So overall, this game is as easy or hard as you want it to be.  I would definitely recommend doing as much as you can without the glitch though, its very rewarding to beat some of the harder bosses.