Cyberpunk 2077 - overpromise, sell, underdeliver (Crowbcat)

Lordidude

22 hours ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Companies are made of a great handful of individuals who constantly changes, what you see as a name means nothing, CDPR itself, how many  of the staff from Witcher 3 are still there, for example?

Great question, I wonder this too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaivRules said:

I agree to a point. All those "false promises and blatant lies" were the marketing. Why should consumers be completely off the hook for giving money for only promises like a bunch of suckers? Both parties are to blame here. A company who marketed for years ahead of time and blind consumers who just hyped themselves up and bought in. This company put out something that didn't deliver on what they said it would, but that's always a risk when you give money without examining if the product doesn't match the promises.

I fully agree. You can literally download the game on day one. There absolutely is no need to preorder anything, unless you feel obligated by some exclusive useless skin or special editions filled with stuff you don't have the room to display anyway.

12 hours ago, DaivRules said:

That’s not what the lawsuit is over. I linked an article that explains it pretty simply. The only current lawsuit is an investor lawsuit. Probably because any lawyer worth their pay knows a false advertising lawsuit is futile. Public opinion has a much, much, much lower bar that the legal system. 

11 hours ago, H2JXO said:

It depends on a countries laws, in the UK we are taught that fraud is difficult to prove- there are big differences between misrepresentation and fraud, they are different breaches. The article I skim read said that the complaint is about fraud.

11 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

What does false advertising have to do with investors suing over financial loses? 

That lawsuit is open to anyone that bought stock in CDPR in 2020 but the crazy thing is depending on when it was bought a person may not have lost any money. 
The argument about dividends is figuring out how much profit CDPR made not just Cyberpunk and the lawsuit was filed well before yearly earnings were even announced. 

It is quite a strange way to manage an investor lawsuit. 

Sorry I haven't read the article, and I dont know anything about law, but I would  thought false advertising is a part of the fraud lawsuit. As the article says "The lawsuit is about fraud. The plaintiffs allege that CD Projekt lied to its investors about the state of the game." CD Projekt lied about the state of the game, I thought that includes all of the trailers etc. Which I would consider false advertising, they clearly made big cuts since the reveal in 2018 and they made statements that are plainly not true.

2 hours ago, DaivRules said:

I don't know about one of the best games in this generation, I haven't played it but all I've heard about it is it's a buggy mess that crashes hard drives. And we're talking about every company out there and all the people who bathe themselves in constant ads for their products.

I completed it and it's for sure not a "buggy mess" ... But the game is usually praised for the story, side content, choices and graphics. Yep the actual gameplay is kinda stiff. But its an amazing game.

Not to say ''I told you so'' but i felt this game was way too overhyped for a long time to the point that every cyberpunk news was received like the second coming of christ and everyone had very unrealistic expectations.

Wasnt impressed by the E3 trailers and presentations, seemed like just another generic too big open world game with a futuristic setting that should make the game ''unique'' but the gameplay was nothing special to me.

Name me a few games, when did a really hyped game makes all promises true? (besides GTA5, but Rockstar wil never top that again)

• Like 3

One of the biggest problems in that whole mess was the lack of critical distance by games journalists and media outlets. This combined with the over the top marketing blew that game to a level it could never reach. Plus CDPR only made one AAA game in the past. One. That’s it.

They had to build the whole game from scratch with a completely new setting, perspective, mechanics and so on. The level of AI the Physics and the type of graphics were also new to them, cause they never done anything like that before. They wanted to be the new Rockstars without their knowledge and fundamentals in game design. It was advertised in 2012! And they just started developing in 2016. How on earth would a company like CDPR manage to pull that off? Impossible task. But hey, they were giving interviews left and right on how amazing the game would be and everybody bought it, even though it was just lies. Btw. Sony did the only right thing to pull this game from PSN.

Here is the Jason Schreier article on the situation:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-16/cyberpunk-2077-what-caused-the-video-game-s-disastrous-rollout

CDR has its fault, no doubt. But I think that medias and players had shoot too heavy on the team... By the way, solutions are pretty simple, in my opinion:

1. They promised on a patch to make thinks work on PS4 (and the last one solved a decent part of issues, I saw)

2. Refund are guaranteed (and here I wonder if refunded ppl will buy the game again once the patches will fix the problem)

3. For those who are aiming for a PS5 (a lot of ppl, I suppose), would it be so hard to wait and play on the new console?

1 hour ago, BeeR3Dx said:

Sorry I haven't read the article, and I dont know anything about law, but I would  thought false advertising is a part of the fraud lawsuit. As the article says "The lawsuit is about fraud. The plaintiffs allege that CD Projekt lied to its investors about the state of the game." CD Projekt lied about the state of the game, I thought that includes all of the trailers etc. Which I would consider false advertising, they clearly made big cuts since the reveal in 2018 and they made statements that are plainly not true.

I completed it and it's for sure not a "buggy mess" ... But the game is usually praised for the story, side content, choices and graphics. Yep the actual gameplay is kinda stiff. But its an amazing game.

Don't be sorry, be better. 

• Like 2

On 1/19/2021 at 4:06 PM, dieselmanchild said:

I never buy games on release for this exact reason, but regardless.. it pains me to see a once great gaming company shit the bed like this and fall out of favour. Can’t say they didn’t deserve it though. Live and learn I guess.

The way they handled Gwent a year or two ago I guess was a forewarning for what was to come. 

The gaming industry is a rough business. Once the Twitter mob gets on you, it’s very hard to bounce back. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spaz said:

Once the Twitter mob gets on you, it’s very hard to bounce back. 

That pretty much applies to everything these days, and is exactly why companies are now scrambling frantically to get ahead of cancel culture and get “woke” before it’s too late. Their biggest fear is offending some group out there and having the Twitter mob descend on their social media with virtual torches and pitchforks. The PR is disastrous, and many won’t recover if this happens for one reason or another.

And for a company like CDPR who commits the cardinal sin of lying and misleading the fandom they’ve taken for granted, nothing on earth will save them from the impending fury of the mob lol. They’re big enough that they’ll survive. But this has irreparably damaged their reputation as a company. It will take years to earn back the trust they lost.

14 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

That pretty much applies to everything these days, and is exactly why companies are now scrambling frantically to get ahead of cancel culture and get “woke” before it’s too late. Their biggest fear is offending some group out there and having the Twitter mob descend on their social media with virtual torches and pitchforks. The PR is disastrous, and many won’t recover if this happens for one reason or another.

We discussed this in personal messenger so it's sort of been beaten by now.

Not just companies but individual YouTubers. James Rolfe (AVGN) is a guy I've been following for a very long time, probably the first man I followed on YouTube circa 2006 - 2007. In recent years he's been criticized for stuff like not reviewing the 2016 Ghostbusters movie. One of the worst movies I saw in the last five years that completely crapped over the 1984 classic with Bill Murray. But AVGN's fanbase got so upset over him not reviewing the movie on YouTube people made podcasts over that. Are you fucking kidding me? 

PewDiePie, whom I never liked, has been under fire for certain things, same with Angry Joe. They're merely entertainers on YouTube, and when it comes down to it, Cyberpunk 2077 is a video game meant to entertain. It's just a gross overreaction from people on social media. It also tells me people are soft. Stuff like this wasn't the norm 20 - 30 years ago, but this creates a blanket that game companies now have to be extra cautious to not offend anyone.

The constant censoring of anime games is another issue, which again points to certain people being offended over explicit, sexual content. I'm 32 years old, let me pick the damn games if I want to. Who cares what anyone else thinks?

23 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

And for a company like CDPR who commits the cardinal sin of lying and misleading the fandom they’ve taken for granted, nothing on earth will save them from the impending fury of the mob lol. They’re big enough that they’ll survive. But this has irreparably damaged their reputation as a company. It will take years to earn back the trust they lost.

No Man's Sky was sort of the same thing but on a lesser scale. A lot of content was promised that was cut out in the initial release of the game. Sean Murray became an easy target for criticism on Twitter and it got to the point where he had to hide himself from the Twitter mob.

But now five years later, the game has gone through a series of overhauls, and from what I've been reading people are saying it's actually fairly decent now. How people handled Cyberpunk 2077 is almost exactly like what happened to No Man's Sky. The thing is, most of everyone has long since given up on that game and moved on, so the reputation that Hello Games received is still there more or less.

I stopped taking much of the gaming industry and the gaming community seriously a long time ago. This is just one of many examples.

• Like 3

Yeah, the game has some bugs and crashes but don't let that stop you from playing. I managed the platinum on the PS4 and really enjoyed the story and multiple endings. Some of the side mission, gigs were annoying towards the end but I loved the soundtrack (Rock & Metal station...or anything that's played at the Afterlife club). I'd advise to wait for some more patches or possibly wait to play it on the PS5. It's worth it. This game doesn't deserve the hate it's getting in my opinion. 

On 1/20/2021 at 7:11 AM, BeeR3Dx said:

Do you invest stocks based on commercials?

Some are trying to equate consumer level "false advertising" to "market fraud".
Twitter rage isn't a legal case. Few things in the actual lawsuit make any sense. 

While it’s easy to compare this game with other botched/underwhelming launches, such as Rainbow Six Siege, No Man’s Sky, and Fallout 76, I still think it’s unfair to make these comparisons, because if you exclude all the bugs from Cyberpunk, it’s not boring, tedious, or lacking in content or inspiration. I hear a lot of people say that’s it’s an enjoyable RPG, with a sprawling open world, and a branching story, despite all the bugs. Whereas other games that I listed were missing content or inspiration at launch. Another thing that differentiates Cyberpunk from other botched launches is how genuine CDPR seems towards refunding customers and fixing their game. Some devs barely even bother with this stuff, like Bethesda did with Fallout 76.

I do agree that Cyberpunk was supposed to be a legendary game, meant to redefine what an open world, story driven game is, but it’s not the worst overhyped launch we’ve seen. I’m not saying these types of launches are acceptable, I’m just saying it fared better than other disastrous launches, so that maybe people can calm down a bit.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

Do you invest stocks based on commercials?

Some are trying to equate consumer level "false advertising" to "market fraud".
Twitter rage isn't a legal case. Few things in the actual lawsuit make any sense. 

Whatever, I was just making amateur assumptions. I don't care, I didn't invest or bought the game, I just think that this whole situation is very scummy.

2 minutes ago, BeeR3Dx said:

Whatever, I was just making amateur assumptions. I don't care, I didn't invest or bought the game, I just think that this whole situation is very scummy.

It is scummy across the board. Lawyers chasing a pay day. Influencers chasing add revenue. People with no interest in the game treating it as a "win" to never buy new games.

Lots of people are seeing this as an opportunity. 

• Like 1

Watched it last night. Goddamn did it sting a little. Like it's so far away from what they said it was. The pathways ai take are just sad. 

It was quite a video that stirred many emotions. Sadness, anger, joy in the bugs that are just insanely funny, and shocked that they could even say what they did with what state the game was in. 

I guess my game will be still sealed for another month or two until some more patches release. But really I rather burn it when you watch the video and see how much isn't in the game that they said was. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Spaz said:

No Man's Sky was sort of the same thing but on a lesser scale. A lot of content was promised that was cut out in the initial release of the game. Sean Murray became an easy target for criticism on Twitter and it got to the point where he had to hide himself from the Twitter mob.

But now five years later, the game has gone through a series of overhauls, and from what I've been reading people are saying it's actually fairly decent now. How people handled Cyberpunk 2077 is almost exactly like what happened to No Man's Sky. The thing is, most of everyone has long since given up on that game and moved on, so the reputation that Hello Games received is still there more or less.

I think the rapid fall of Bethesda after the whole Fallout 76 debacle is quite similar to this situation as well.

I’m not as familiar with what went down in that specific case, but it’s another recent example of a revered company finding themselves the target of gamer’s wrath after they lied and mislead their consumers.

From what I remember, there were other scandals too, regarding the pre-orders and deluxe packages/special editions that didn’t deliver what they promised, and the way they continued to shamelessly plug merchandise and tried to squeeze every extra buck that they could out of a product that by all accounts was completely broken and riddled with bugs on release. They lost the trust of their fans almost overnight.

On 20/01/2021 at 9:19 PM, Voland44 said:

did you even read my examples? this 2077 situation is one of the kind. also its first time when Sony delete game from store. and i think most ppl wouldnt preorder CDPR game next time

Cp2077 is far from one of a kind. 

No man's sky and fallout 76 had much of the same launch. 

Undelivered promises. 

Also there have been games removed from the ps store for various reasons in the past. 

One of the most recent is the remaster for final fantasy crystal chronicles. 

It was removed back in September for aus and nz due to the online not working. 

4 months on and its still not back on the store. 

Cyberpunk 2077 is:
Fallout 76.2.0
Anthem 2.0 
Mass Effect Andromeda 2.0 
Assassin Creed unity 2.0 

What happened with CDPR is the same thing that happened with Ubisoft, Bethesda and Bioware. 

Mismanagement 

Edited by wackt1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, AIDA_Tri-Edge said:

Cp2077 is far from one of a kind. 

No man's sky and fallout 76 had much of the same launch. 

Undelivered promises. 

cant remember NMS and F76 were unplayable with drops to 10fps and streaming problems. also, both of them showed pretty much same thing we get after all + F76 had beta. there was some overpromises(cp2077 still have more) with NMS, but at least we get 10x more than that for free and wasnt broken at launch. F76 is pretty much different game now too. but cp2077? first showcase was completely fake. and as an openworld game(or even just as a game) its a 

joke + AI is dumbest i ever saw, which affect pretty much every gameplay mechanics(also mostly unfinished for now). im highly doubt that CP2077 will be ever finished. some debugging + some QoL updates + maybe new police system. thats not enough for sure. 

8 hours ago, AIDA_Tri-Edge said:

Also there have been games removed from the ps store for various reasons in the past. 

One of the most recent is the remaster for final fantasy crystal chronicles. 

It was removed back in September for aus and nz due to the online not working. 

4 months on and its still not back on the store. 

ofc it was some deleted game lmao, especially some low budget games. i meaning deleting game because of backlash

Edited by Voland44

9 hours ago, freeman4200 said:

I guess my game will be still sealed for another month or two until some more patches release.

are you joking? maybe with jan/feb two patches they fix game breaking bugs, at least for main story... but you definetly should wait for last paid DLC released(in 2022). cus with witcher 3 biggest updates for a game were along with two paid DLCs.

but if you will play cp2077 as some call of duty, you would be fine mostly. cus then openworld for you would be just interactive loading screen

1 hour ago, Voland44 said:

are you joking? maybe with jan/feb two patches they fix game breaking bugs, at least for main story... but you definetly should wait for last paid DLC released(in 2022). cus with witcher 3 biggest updates for a game were along with two paid DLCs.

but if you will play cp2077 as some call of duty, you would be fine mostly. cus then openworld for you would be just interactive loading screen

It was speculation. If I haven't opened it now Im not going to if more patches release. But if somehow a patch did fix enough where many people on this site and others say it's playable I'd still wait lol. Got too many great games I'm already playing. Maybe if I get a ps5 I'll open it cause then I got 825gb of space and I'll for sure not have enough ps5 games to fill that SSD.

3 hours ago, Voland44 said:

cant remember NMS and F76 were unplayable with drops to 10fps and streaming problems. also, both of them showed pretty much same thing we get after all + F76 had beta. there was some overpromises(cp2077 still have more) with NMS, but at least we get 10x more than that for free and wasnt broken at launch. F76 is pretty much different game now too. but cp2077? first showcase was completely fake. and as an openworld game(or even just as a game) its a 

joke + AI is dumbest i ever saw, which affect pretty much every gameplay mechanics(also mostly unfinished for now). im highly doubt that CP2077 will be ever finished. some debugging + some QoL updates + maybe new police system. thats not enough for sure. 

ofc it was some deleted game lmao, especially some low budget games. i meaning deleting game because of backlash

F76 was sonehwta unplayable at launch with screen tearing and constantly falling through maps ect. 

But my point was is that Cp2077 isn't a unique case. 

And it won't be the last. 

And you excuse nms because it has been fixed now? But in the same sentence say that Cp2077 never will be... Can you see in to the future? 

Nms didn't get fixed overnight. 

Also final fantasy crystal chronicles was removed due to backlash, and even offered refunds for those who wanted one.

Not sure why your trying to put Cp2077 on a negative pedestal. 

Yes it's had a horrible launch but it is by no means the worst that has ever existed. 

• Like 1