Would you say you allow trophies to dictate what games you play or not?

Cryogenicide_X

I just wondered how many people are like this and allow what a games trophies are dictate what games you play and don't play and what games you buy and don't buy? Like, would you play a game that you know beforehand some of the trophies aren't obtainable anymore which means no 100% or Platinum Trophy either? 

Obviously this is a problem for some people and instead of putting the game as number 1, the Trophies are number 1 instead which is backwards. 

• Like 1

I have a problem with your initial question.

You say that putting the trophies first is "backwards".  Why do you think that?  You may get more entertainment out of the game without trophies, but that doesn't mean that nobody could or should get more entertainment out of the trophies over the game.  This is a hobby we all share, and we should all be able to enjoy it however we want, and not have to worry about others looking down on us because we don't play games the way they do.  Whether you meant it that way or not, that is what it sounds like.

As for me, I will say that trophies are a large part of why I still play games.  It is not the end all be all, but I most certainly look at trophy lists before I buy a game, and a game with unobtainable trophies, long grueling grinds, or even missing platinum trophies will fall lower on my priority list of games.  This is because I find trophies give some small meaning to the games i play, and when I play games without them, that part of my hobby that I enjoy is missing and it feels almost as though I am just now wasting my time.  Are there potentially great games I miss out on because of this?  Absolutely, but we all only have so much free time to devote to playing games, so there will always be games I don't play.  We all have arbitrary lines we draw for games we want to play and ones we don't, mine just involves the trophy list, and I am not bothered by that.

• Like 3

Back in the day - yes. I'd avoid playing games I knew I wouldn't be able to finish, or I'd prioritize easier games to avoid unnecessary stress, as I was a newbie in the trophy world, boosting for 5 hours seemed impossible to me back then. But now I don't care tbh, I treat my profile as a portfolio of sorts. My taste has changed over the years, so did my absolute no-no's, etc, and now I just play games I want to play, if I can do finish them, great. If not, I don't mind, at least I tried. Having this "purist" mindset for the first 2/3 years was what initially made me quit trophy hunting for over a year, I just had no fun from playing with the "trophy's first" mindset. And what's the point of playing if it weren't for the fun of it? 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Sir_Bee said:

I have a problem with your initial question.

You say that putting the trophies first is "backwards".  Why do you think that? 

I just meant that the game itself is the most important thing, I understand what you were saying. I'm not looking down on anyone or anything. Trophies are for me a part of the experience to me and I enjoy going for them. 

Edited by Cryogenicide_X
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

I just meant that the game itself is the most important thing, I understand what you were saying. I'm not looking down on anyone or anything. Trophies are for me a part of the experience to me and I enjoy going for them. 

Sure, I understand that to you the game itself holds the most weight in your choice.  There is nothing wrong with that attitude.  I do however hold issue to saying any other way is "backwards", that's all.

This would be like telling a speedrunner they are playing the game wrong, because they didn't pick up all the coins in a Mario game.  It's not backwards, just different.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Sir_Bee said:

Sure, I understand that to you the game itself holds the most weight in your choice.  There is nothing wrong with that attitude.  I do however hold issue to saying any other way is "backwards", that's all.

This would be like telling a speedrunner they are playing the game wrong, because they didn't pick up all the coins in a Mario game.  It's not backwards, just different.

Yeah you're right. I think i just phrased it wrong. 

• Like 2

Yes.  High trophy percentages discourage me from starting Ghost of Tsushima while low trophy percentages led me to Reus.

I agree with @Sir_Bee -- "It's not backwards, just different."  Nothing wrong with how anyone chooses their next game (even if it is for ezpz plats -- oh the horror!!!) 

Before anyone says "but look at all the great games you are missing!" please acknowledged that there are more games than anyone can play.  We're all missing something.

Edited by pogo_loco
  • Like 3

A little bit. If there's a game that I do want to play, I'll get it regardless of the trophies and aim for getting as many as possible. I knew going in that I wouldn't be able to get everything in THPS 1+2 but wanted to play it for the nostalgia trip and enjoyed it as such. If it's more a case of me looking through my Plus backlog, trying to see if something grabs my attention, I might look up the trophy guide and see what the difficulty rating is before making a decision. That or look up a review to see if it's the sort of thing I would stick with.

If there's a glitched trophy, however, that may seal the deal as to me not playing it. Nothing worse than a trophy not unlocking when it should do for whatever reason.

• Like 4

To some degree, I suppose so. I have rejected a few games with what I view as overly difficult or unfair platinums, or glitched trophies. Devil May Cry 5 is the most recent example—don't know if I have it in me to complete that these days. Maybe 5-10 years ago!

• Like 1

Trophies did dictate what I played for a while. But I found that buying trash games like Orc Slayer and Albedo: Eyes From Outer Space were just padding for what is really just using trophies as a selling point. 

I look at the games and if they appeal to me, then I buy them. Trophies are basically the icing on the cake.

Trophies don't usually dictate what I play. Sometimes if it's a game I also like on the PC (recent examples being XIII, Serious Sam Collection, and Crysis Remastered), arcade, or another system, I may buy it on sale to replay on PS for trophies. Whether a plat is too easy or hard has no bearing. Enjoyment is more important than completion. I don't feel a need to platinum or 100% every game.

A trophy failing to unlock when the conditions are satisfied is a minor annoyance. While I don't like that, it's not a deal killer. I just pray the devs fix it.

There are only really two things I look at regarding trophies, but this is more determining if I'll even buy a game.  I avoid games that have trophies that require MP and I avoid games with unobtainable trophies.  The first isn't hard to avoid, very few games in genres I enjoy playing have MP.  Since I avoid MP, I don't have to deal with server closures causing unobtainables and that means unobtainables are due to issues with a game and avoiding games with serious issues is always a good idea.

It’s yes and no for me. Sometimes, as someone mentioned, the trophies are the game. I will buy a game because its list looks fun, doable, easy. I definitely have not bought games too because the trophy list is too unachieveable or mostly online/boosting ones. But if the game stands on its own as good, and the list isn’t great or super hard, I won’t hesitate to give it a whirl. I like the stats on this site but I wouldn’t say they govern my gaming behaviour. Unlike hardcore completionists, I have no regrets with an E rank game on my profile because sometimes you just have to try something to see if you like it or not. I will say though that YouTube is super helpful to get a sense of what kind of game something is before one buys it.

I'm generally a solo/single player gamer, so I do my best to avoid games with online trophies. There are exceptions, DOOM Eternal for example is a game I am more willing to play online. I still pop that game in once or twice a week to do the weekly events and unlock new online and single player costumes. Trophies in essence affect what games I will buy, because I really hate online achievements and try to avoid them like a plague. Online achievements are the main culprit for games and trophy lists I leave unfinished or never played again on my current PSN profile. So a combination of my gaming tastes and trophy lists can affect which games I purchase and play.

• Like 1

Most of the time I always put the game first, trophies second (and by that, I mean to go trophy hunting after I've completed the story). But after platting a game or binging through trophies, I sometimes get carried away and start looking for games which have pretty good trophy rates, but then snap back when I think about how much I really just want to play a game just because it's a game.

Really depends. If a game looks interesting, it looks interesting. If the trophies are annoying, most of the time it won't matter. There have been times where a particularly irksome list has made me pass on a title.

Honestly, I always look up the trophies of a game before starting/ buying it but when I really want a game I don't care for the trophies (in a sense that I will try to complete them eventually but they're not the main priority). Plus, I dislike games that require the purchase of multiple DLC in order to get to 100%. I don't care about season passes (because they're on sale sometimes) but games like Cities Skyline for example are just ridiculous....

I try to avoid games with Multiplayer trophies lately, because a LOT of multiplayer games have trophies that require you to play with more people and while I do have friends on PS, they don't play the same games as me. To name some beautiful examples: Overwatch, because some trophies are just ridiculously stupid, and any Call of Duty game since the zombie trophies are just insanely hard to complete on your own and Monster Hunter World which I truly enjoy but I'm never going to have Platinum for it just because some trophies require playing with more people (hunting 50 tempered monsters.... c'mon...).

And I avoid games that have unobtainable trophies due to servers closing like Gwent or Mad Max.

It's more the timestamps I'm interested in, they are accurate so I can look back at a given year and know what I was doing. The time stamp is more valuable to me than trophy points, levels and leaderboards. In essence my profile is a diary.

100% means less and less now, it's more about the games I've experienced. If I had the time to 100% everything I would, I haven't found a game that's stopped me yet.

It's a pity there wasn't something like this when I first started gaming on the Commodore 64. A 35 year gaming diary would be awesome, as it is, I'll settle for 10.

I play whatever game I want to on my account because isn't that what gaming is all about, play what you enjoy not play for trophies. It's definitely a nice feeling to earn all the trophies within a game you enjoy playing but playing mindless crap just to enhance leaderboard ranks and such doesn't interest me in the slightest.

• Like 1

On 20/01/2021 at 7:54 PM, LoveInHell said:

Absolutely not. Imagine stopping yourself from having (more) fun, can’t be me. I like trophies but I don’t let it control what I play and if I can’t get a platinum cause I’m impatient or I just suck, or its unobtainable, whatever. Have fun.

Actually, I was just thinking: I don’t buy games that don’t support trophies. I do limit myself like that.

• Like 1