Would you say you allow trophies to dictate what games you play or not?

Cryogenicide_X

I would like to say no but I think it does at times. I should start by saying that I am a strong believer that you should not allow trophies to dictate which games you play. If you do, then you will miss out on a lot of really good games. With that being said, there are times that I might be interested in a game but not really sure if I want to get into it. The first thing I do is try to find reviews about it. If I cant then I try to find gameplay videos to see if it looks like something I would like. Then finally I will look up the trophy difficulty. If its insane like 9/10 then I pass. I guess the reason I do that is incase I do not like the game, I can at least push myself through it and platinum it. 

On 1/20/2021 at 0:38 PM, pogo_loco said:

Yes.  High trophy percentages discourage me from starting Ghost of Tsushima while low trophy percentages led me to Reus.

You might want to circle back to Ghost of Tsushima, it was such a great game. Definitely worth playing regardless of how easy it was to platinum.

In some small ways, yes.

I try not to ever fall into the trap of "Oh, that game looks good, but the trophies seem hard, so I won't buy it" - that is nonsensical in my opinion, and a slippery slope to just playing nothing but My Name is Mayo type clickers, but it does affect me in some ways.

Two in particular:

1. Trophies can make me stick with a game, or give a game another try where I might have ordinarily just quit it for good - and sometimes this has been very rewarding. I have come to love some games I just couldn't quite get into the first time.

This has happened a number of times, but the big one I always remember is Bayonetta. Man. I must have tried that game 4 or 5 different times, and found it completely impenetrable. I just couldn't get into it, but the fact that I had a few trophies in it kept irking me when I looked at my profile, and so I kept giving it another go, and for whatever reason, on one of those occasions it just clicked. No idea what was different, but I just felt it that time, and ended up getting the plat, and really enjoying the game.

2. The other way is that if I have a game that I have bought, and I really, really, REALLY dislike it immediately, or it does something so egregious or so frustrating that I realise it would be a miserable slog to play, and I have not earned any trophies yet, I am much more likely to pause the game, and evaluate whether I really want to continue, knowing that the completionist in me will most likely want to suffer through it once I earn a trophy, and put it permanently on my profile. 

I realise some people might consider this to be me doing exactly what I said I don't do at the top of this, but it isn't.

I have Wolfenstein 2 on my profile. I don't avoid games I know I would like, just because I know there are trophies I will likely never achieve.

I don't check trophy lists before buying, or even before trying a game - (yes yes, hypocrisy hunters, I realise that those last two sentences contradict each other, but in my defence, it was pretty hard to be a member of this forum and not know about the 'Mein Lieben' trophy ahead of purchase!!) - but once I do start it,  if I realise the game is actually broken, or a technical mess, or just actively repels me  after giving it an honest try, then I do ask myself, "do I care more about wasting the money I just spent on this, or my time / sanity in the future?"

In some cases, I just push through, but mostly, nowadays, I will err on the side of "Nah. My time is worth more, and there are too many good games out there to suffer through this one unnecessarily"

That happened to me with The Witcher 3 - I payed for the full game after a lot of positive recommendations, but I knew the game was very long, and when it crashed and corrupted my save file (and my console database!) after less than 2 hours, I realised it was going to be a technically broken mess on console, and would likely drive me nuts, not knowing if it was going to work from moment to moment, or just burst into flames without warning. (I learned my lesson on Fallout New Vegas!) 

I checked the trophies, saw none had popped, breathed a quiet sigh of relief and deleted that game for good.

Also happened with Ghost of Tsushima - seemed like a cool Assassin's Creed rip-off, which is right up my alley, and I payed full price for it, but I found the camera so off-putting and frustrating in the first hour or so, that I realised it would simply be a very long slog of miserable frustration for me to try and play. 

I paused it, did some research to see if there was a way to change the camera, found out there wasn't and so just deleted the game. Some might see that as a waste of money - and it is - but I look at it as a near-miss and a lucky escape from either a frustrating 2% game on my profile, or a 50-hour plod through a mire of irritation.

In both these cases, some might see the trophies as being the thing that put me off playing, but really, I know that in a world without trophies, I would still have quit these games for the same reasons - one was broken and the other was just poorly designed. It wasn't the trophies that made them a waste of money, it was the games themselves.

The trophy angle just helped me find the ejector seat quicker!?

That lets me move on much quicker to playing something I do enjoy, so it's a win-win all round :) 

Edited by DrBloodmoney

I check a new game I'm buying for trophies that are unavailable or bugged before I start or get to deep into the game.

Borderlands 3 on the PS5 is currently unobtainable because the challenges aren't tracked proberly iirc, so I've stopped playing for now. I still want to get back and clean up someday

Even after nearly 500 plats and a lot of quick, but mostly good indi games I still feel a small boost in happiness and confidence whenever a new platinum pops.

So spending x hours in a game I'm limited by server shutdowns or bugs and not my own skill is something I try to avoid as good as possible.

I'll never get the platinum in any FIFA or multiplayer shooter game on my profile, but I honestly don't care.

I'm not really good in either, I'm happy if I even score a goal against my friends, and I still brag about the one time I've been the best on a battlefield server... in a match that went on for nearly 2 hours ... that I've finished with  56/55 K/D... just because everyone that's actually good in the game left or stopped playing :D

My answer to the question is yes. the trophy set up of a game greatly impact my decision on buying/playing it or not. For example: Resident Evil 4, Hitman 2

I knew this is a trap question for the crowd of "gaming is for fun" but my counter argument would be: There are many games that are fun AND with great trophy setting, why must I skip those games and endure something i am NOT fully enjoying.

One thing to add though, I am NOT pursuing a 100% profile so one day I may play Wolfenstein 2 and left it w/o the platinum. (Bought the game long time ago) but so far didn't have the motivation to do so.

Edited by Maverick6146
  • Like 1

I have a big backlog, but I still buying games that look interesting to me.

After a game have my interest, before buying it I look at how much time it requires to be finish and the trophy list because those two information give me the idea if I really want to take it on.

I play what I like regardless of the trophies, but I like exploring the game once they are ended so trophies give me an idea of what kind of challange the game offers me... and if it asks me to play 1000 online match or other grindy-stuff then there may be another game that I could enjoy more.

It used to, but then too many good games came out and I stopped caring. My childhood favourites like FFX and the kingdom hearts games all have hard trophies that I know I could never platinum, but I just couldn't not play those games just because of trophies. You would miss out on so many great games that way. Also, a lot of easy trophy games aren't the most interesting tbh, I find that most of my favourite RPGs have challenging trophy lists, like Yakuza, Tales, Disgaea etc which take a lot time. 

However, I do not buy games with online or multiplayer trophies, they just annoy me. 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Honestly, now they do.  For example I was thinking of picking up Mad Max.  Seen that it has an impossible plat now.  I won't buy it.  It doesn't affect me in regards to searching out easy plats over games i really want to play, but I won't buy a game I can't plat anymore.   but it does bother me that there are PS3 games I played close to 10+ years ago before I really trophy hunted that I won't plat even if I get my hands on an old PS3 again because the servers are done.  I wish when they shut the servers down that they would change the online trophies to something else or just remove them so that those of us late to the party could still 100% and/or plat the game.  Shadow of Mordor comes to mind when they killed the servers for the vendetta system, but then changed the trophy to something else so people who picked it up late could still get the plat.  Or even if a game had a long list of multiplayer trophies with dead servers, then remove the plat for newcomers, but leave the rest of the trophies so 100% is still possible.  Wish more companies would be thoughtful of this when closing servers.

• Like 1

They won't dictate what I play, but might tip the scales if I'm on the fence about a game.

E.g. I won't start an unknown PS+ or PS Now game if the trophies suck. If the game looks decent and the trophies aren't total crap, I might give it a go.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes ONLY if it’s a glitched trophy like it’s no longer obtainable ..

example ** I want to do the whole GTA series but in GTA 4 online they removed the feature to put a bounty on another player in an online game session. & there’s a trophy called “ Run like the wind”   Survive with a bounty on your head.. with that feature being disable making it unobtainable ffs ?‍♂️ 
Yes I could just play it anyways but my OCD seeing it not at 100% would drive me insane.. my whole account is base on 100% completion..

Edited by Toxicmatic-

Indeed. I shouldn't but I do. Mostly only if it has online trophies. Though I did refuse to buy Wolfenstein 2 due to that trophy where you can't die or it resets everything and has to be done in one playthrough. I can actually justify that as its completely stupid and I wouldn't ever have that amount of time to put in a gaming session, let alone all the practice needed before hand. And the devs then go and make it a bronze. Now I don't care if a game has all bronze, silver, gold etc as I aim for the 100% not what each is worth. But that looked like the devs wanted to give the gamers the finger and I hope they felt the reaction in a reduction of sales. Tools man. 

Though I could probably still get called out on that, but when we get home from work and enjoy the gaming hobby its what the individual wants, not worry about what others think I suppose.

3 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Indeed. I shouldn't but I do. Mostly only if it has online trophies. Though I did refuse to buy Wolfenstein 2 due to that trophy where you can't die or it resets everything and has to be done in one playthrough. I can actually justify that as its completely stupid and I wouldn't ever have that amount of time to put in a gaming session, let alone all the practice needed before hand. And the devs then go and make it a bronze. Now I don't care if a game has all bronze, silver, gold etc as I aim for the 100% not what each is worth. But that looked like the devs wanted to give the gamers the finger and I hope they felt the reaction in a reduction of sales. Tools man. 

Though I could probably still get called out on that, but when we get home from work and enjoy the gaming hobby its what the individual wants, not worry about what others think I suppose.

Wolf 2 isnt that hard man, if you can put in 3hrs a day to game you can get good for Mein Leben. Its a plat based on anxiety more then time/skill.

Nah, I just throw myself in there and don't look at trophies until I've finished the main story. I used to scan for missable trophies but don't even do that anymore. Recently had to do a second playthrough of RDR2 because of that, but I'm pretty good at picking out games I'd replay so I didn't mind. There's been a few times I thought I'd bitten off more than I can chew when I finally looked at the trophy list but I've survived...so far. 

No problem with anyone who does allow trophies to influence what they play, do whatever makes you happiest my dudes. 

Edited by FarSideOfSaturn
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, FarSideOfSaturn said:

No problem with anyone who does allow trophies to influence what they play, do whatever makes you happiest my dudes. 

Thats all it is mate. 

The main problem is that I think people forget you can always create an alternative account. For example if a game has a vast amount of mp trophies which you hate but you still would like to experience the single plater side. I still haven't gotten around to doing this for Uncharted 4, but I'm sure I can borrow it from someone at some point. Its how I finally got around to trying The Last of Us. 

• Like 1

No, I wouldn't. I play games, I really want to play regardless of trophy or platinum. When it comes to games I'm not much invested in, I give a quick look at the trophy guide to see if the platinum is achievable or not. In the second case I don't buy them majorly about dead servers