Resident Evil Re:Verse

Resi seems to be the ONLY franchise that Capcom gives a shit about anymore.

Street Fighter V is still receiving updates etc, but Capcom aren't putting their passion into that series anymore.  Megaman seems to have been swept under the proverbial carpet. The first Onimusha game got a remaster a few years ago, and then they forgot about that series too.  Dino Crisis hasn't been seen in many years.  Bionic Commando is yesterday's news, and even Strider isn't doing much these days.  Okami got a remaster and Amaterasu then appeared in MVC3, and then....... wait for it.......... disappeared.

Aside from a couple of Marvel VS Capcom games, all we're getting is a seemingly endless flood of Resident Evil games.  Really wish Capcom would stop hedging all their bets on a single series and actually start listening to what their fans want.  I, for one, have no interest whatsoever in Resi but would love for Onimusha 2 and 3 to get remasters, and an all-new game would be amazing.  I'd also like a remake of Dino Crisis, or even a new game.

Capcom have essentially been added to the list of studios that have dropped off my radar, because they're literally not making anything that appeals to me anymore.

Edited by StewartBros
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, StewartBros said:

Street Fighter V is still receiving updates etc, but Capcom aren't putting their passion into that series anymore.  Megaman seems to have been swept under the proverbial carpet. The first Onimusha game got a remaster a few years ago, and then they forgot about that series too.  Dino Crisis hasn't been seen in many years.  Bionic Commando is yesterday's news, and even Strider isn't doing much these days.  Okami got a remaster and Amaterasu then appeared in MVC3, and then....... wait for it.......... disappeared.

Aside from a couple of Marvel VS Capcom games, all we're getting is a seemingly endless flood of Resident Evil games.  Really wish Capcom would stop hedging all their bets on a single series and actually start listening to what their fans want.  I, for one, have no interest whatsoever in Resi but would love for Onimusha 2 and 3 to get remasters, and an all-new game would be amazing.  I'd also like a remake of Dino Crisis, or even a new game.

Capcom have essentially been added to the list of studios that have dropped off my radar, because they're literally not making anything that appeals to me anymore.

Well Resident Evil sells but I think Monster Hunter is their biggest cash cow right now. Personally I think Capcom is on a good path and have won trust back from customers after their questionable stuff in the early 2010s (Street Fighter x Tekken on disc dlc fiasco, releasing Marvel 3 and Ultimate in the same year, RE6).

Even though their releases have been easily countable on 2 hands in the recent years I really enjoyed everything they gave me: RE7, RE2, RE3, Monster Hunter World + Iceborne, MegaMan 11 - all of which I really, really liked.

I would be happy if they dug up Okami and Strider from their graves though... Okami being my favorite game ever and the last Strider game was super fun.

Street Fighter 5 I still play regularly until today but the game was a hot mess at launch, not denying that.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, StewartBros said:

Mega Man died a long time ago. Mega Man 11 was sort of a response to the horrible reception Mighty No 9 got, which was a Mega Man knockoff that wasn't anything as good.

I loved Capcom in the PS2 and early PS3 generations. Bionic Commando was an 1980s era platformer with some puzzles but I remember it got a reboot sometime a little over a decade ago. Played the new Strider on the PS4, thought it was pretty okay.

Resident Evil and Devil May Cry are the only two franchises I think Capcom gives a damn about.

I guess you can add Capcom to the list along with Konami and Square Enix.

Edited by AJ_Radio

23 hours ago, SnowNinjaRaccoon said:

Well Resident Evil sells but I think Monster Hunter is their biggest cash cow right now. Personally I think Capcom is on a good path and have won trust back from customers after their questionable stuff in the early 2010s (Street Fighter x Tekken on disc dlc fiasco, releasing Marvel 3 and Ultimate in the same year, RE6).

Even though their releases have been easily countable on 2 hands in the recent years I really enjoyed everything they gave me: RE7, RE2, RE3, Monster Hunter World + Iceborne, MegaMan 11 - all of which I really, really liked.

I would be happy if they dug up Okami and Strider from their graves though... Okami being my favorite game ever and the last Strider game was super fun.

Street Fighter 5 I still play regularly until today but the game was a hot mess at launch, not denying that.

Strider did get a game some years back, and a really good one at that. So it ain't as MIA as a lot of stuff.

On 10/02/2021 at 1:05 PM, StewartBros said:

Word is Capcom did begin some work on a Dino Crisis but they shelved it. This was before RE2R so with that having big success they may well revisit Dino Crisis in the future... in fact, I'd say the odds are good. Think about it. When it comes to the remakes and their style they've done RE2, RE3, RE4 will likely be that style too. What next? Veronica? Okay, then what? RE1 Remake Remake? Possible, but then what? 0? 0 they may well want to bundle with 1 to make a remake of a remake less absurd to some people. Basically, they're running out of RE titles to give the treatment to and once they are at that point Dino Crisis I think gets a shot. Dino Crisis is not an unknown name among older gamers and the new game will get a big boost for being, as the original was pushed as, Resident Evil, but with Dinosaurs rather than Zombies. 

Also, I think people should temper themselves a bit on what Capcom's output is. Capcom is not a huge company by any means. Capcom themselves can't work on that many titles all at once, and obviously they'll prioritise their heavier hitters. They do outsource stuff often enough, but do you want an outsourced Dino Crisis? Not to disrespect companies that do outsourced work, but ultimately it usually results in a worse product due to the talent often being lesser (not their fault, likely newer workers), they will have less of a budget and time... and this is to not even talk about the negative frame of mind it instantly puts a lot of fans in.

10 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

Word is Capcom did begin some work on a Dino Crisis but they shelved it. This was before RE2R so with that having big success they may well revisit Dino Crisis in the future... in fact, I'd say the odds are good. Think about it. When it comes to the remakes and their style they've done RE2, RE3, RE4 will likely be that style too. What next? Veronica? Okay, then what? RE1 Remake Remake? Possible, but then what? 0? 0 they may well want to bundle with 1 to make a remake of a remake less absurd to some people. Basically, they're running out of RE titles to give the treatment to and once they are at that point Dino Crisis I think gets a shot. Dino Crisis is not an unknown name among older gamers and the new game will get a big boost for being, as the original was pushed as, Resident Evil, but with Dinosaurs rather than Zombies. 

Yeah, I had heard a rumour that they were starting a new Dino Crisis, which is why I was disappointed that nothing ever came of it. 

You're right in that they will eventually run out of Resi games to remaster or remake, but my worry is that they will just churn out new, substandard Resi games that they can then remake/remaster in a couple of years.  At some point, they need to put Resident Evil to bed for a few years and turn their attention to their other, mainly dormant, franchises.  Their fans would snap up a new Dino Crisis, Onimusha or Okami game - hell, I would snap up a release of Street Fighter Alpha 3 with all the additional game modes and characters that the arcade edition didn't have, such as the World Tour mode, which allowed you to unlock Guile and Evil Ryu.

10 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

Also, I think people should temper themselves a bit on what Capcom's output is. Capcom is not a huge company by any means. Capcom themselves can't work on that many titles all at once, and obviously they'll prioritise their heavier hitters. They do outsource stuff often enough, but do you want an outsourced Dino Crisis? Not to disrespect companies that do outsourced work, but ultimately it usually results in a worse product due to the talent often being lesser (not their fault, likely newer workers), they will have less of a budget and time... and this is to not even talk about the negative frame of mind it instantly puts a lot of fans in.

I know that they're not as large a company as they used to be... it just seems to me that they're focusing virtually ALL of their time and effort into Resident Evil at the expense of practically everything else.  They're still supporting SFV, as I mentioned previously, but they can't be investing too much into that game anymore.

Anyone know if Re:Verse will actually be part of the main trophy set?  Or will it be included as a separate list or an extended dlc add-on for Village? ?

Because to be honest it looks heavily rushed and not worth getting into at all. It gives me a headache just watching the trailer.  ? 

On 11/02/2021 at 2:48 PM, Moka Akashiya said:

Anyone know if Re:Verse will actually be part of the main trophy set?  Or will it be included as a separate list or an extended dlc add-on for Village? 1f914.png

Because to be honest it looks heavily rushed and not worth getting into at all. It gives me a headache just watching the trailer.  1f62b.png 

We don't know but as Resistance was not part of RE3R's list and separate, then Re-Verse should be the same in regards to RE8 which is the best thing for everybody.

As for the trailer... it's a terrible trailer that does the game a big disservice so don't go by that. People who have checked it out have reported that the game is actually pretty solid to play. 

• Like 1

On 21/01/2021 at 11:03 PM, Redgrave said:

I think I'll pass on this. At least RE: Resistance had something going for it with the whole Master Mind thing but this just looks like generic MP stuff they just felt like tacking on. Also the cel-shaded style looks weird.

You can turn off the cell shading effect in options, the game has other filters too and can be played without a filter, strange they showcased the game with one enabled il agree, i think it looks ok really, obviously isnt going to win game of the year but its free so whats to complain about, not one for poor online games but its coming so il judge it when ive played it, i hope it has an extra platinum like resistance did

56 minutes ago, Shmeefly said:

strange they showcased the game with one enabled il agree

It seems that they added that option in the closed beta via a patch based on the tweet below, my guess is because of all the negative feedback about the filter after the trailer dropped.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shmeefly said:

You can turn off the cell shading effect in options, the game has other filters too and can be played without a filter, strange they showcased the game with one enabled il agree, i think it looks ok really, obviously isnt going to win game of the year but its free so whats to complain about, not one for poor online games but its coming so il judge it when ive played it, i hope it has an extra platinum like resistance did

I didn't know that was a thing you could turn on. They probably could have showcased that better. But yeah I still think I'll pass on it since I don't feel like it will be something that would be very fun to play for long. Not sure why they haven't tried Mercenaries mode again since I remember it being kind of fun even in RE6 but I think the way it was done in Revelations was nice too even if it was pretty grindy.

19 hours ago, Redgrave said:

I didn't know that was a thing you could turn on. They probably could have showcased that better. But yeah I still think I'll pass on it since I don't feel like it will be something that would be very fun to play for long. Not sure why they haven't tried Mercenaries mode again since I remember it being kind of fun even in RE6 but I think the way it was done in Revelations was nice too even if it was pretty grindy.

Revelations wasn't Mercenaries, it was Raid mode.

They likely have some manner of metrics that tells them that Mercenaries isn't as popular as some people make out or something that could stand as it's own game. Of course, they could always be bunk metrics like the Merceneraies game on the DS not selling well or whatever but something tells them to not do it. 

3 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

They likely have some manner of metrics that tells them that Mercenaries isn't as popular as some people make out or something that could stand as it's own game. Of course, they could always be bunk metrics like the Merceneraies game on the DS not selling well or whatever but something tells them to not do it. 

Oh right. Still, I think Raid Mode would be fine too. But yeah that's probably true too. It just feels like they are trying to throw stuff at a wall and see what sticks with the MP stuff currently. I think Resistance had something going for it despite the balancing issues so I think a Raid or Mercenaries mode kind of thing mixed with that would be something worth trying.

• 1 month later...
On 14.2.2021 at 7:27 PM, Rozalia1 said:

I wasnt into mercenaries , it got really boring after 2h in re5?

Edited by DividedByMankind

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2021 at 7:19 PM, RSmark84 said:

what a flop this open beta has been. no need for PS+ which is good. due to be back online 6am 10.04.21.

It was a disaster, the time it was working would be based on JST time which for other parts of the world meant sometime around midnight. I'm surprised they didn't extend it at all.

Edit: They updated their site and it now mentions that there will be a third beta period:

7PmUZmA.png

Edited by SealedCard
  • Like 1

Not totally unexpected. Resistance had these issues too.

I have seen there has been rebalancing done. Hunk for example no longer 1 hit kills with his knife attack, instead doing like 80% damage if invisible. The attack also stuns so you simply need to follow up with a bullet or two, but opens up the possibility of someone kill stealing your effort... which I'd think they'd want to lessen than increase the rate of (kill stealing). Chris now has a visible aura for his "I can't die" move so you no longer have to guess when he can be killed again. Leon's kick was changed from his RE4 kick to his RE6 kick for some reason, everything else about it is the same. Ada... seems to have had some manner of damage buff as comboing her skills with your crossbow now can kill people I believe, but her concept is just weak so she is still overwhelmingly the weakest character. They need to give her crossbow a second shot or something to give her any chance. 

I'm concerned if the game is only going to have deathmatch as not having a team game seems a misplay to me. Granted 3 vs 3 ain't the best... but they really can't do 6 vs 6? However, I think we can count on a steady flow of content on this one even if it is blatantly held back content. Carlos and other characters that could have been included clearly weren't so they could release them as free DLC and make a show of "supporting the game". I'd think it'd not take much effort to throw in the Ghost Survivors of RE2R and Carlos, the Resistance crew would take some work, but it is the people without former playability in the Remakes that would be interesting to me. I'm sure a lot of people would love Brad Vickers as a playable character (passive, runs and shoots faster the more hurt he is).

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure I'm part of a very exclusive group... but I actually pre-ordered RE8 because of Re-Verse and how it's online might die very quickly... So I now have a RE8 I don't want to play until I get a PS5.

Oh well. Hopefully the extra time leads to a much better game at least.

• 2 months later...