Burstawesome

Xbox Gold Price Increase Cancelled

70 posts in this topic

Update: This price increase has been cancelled. Stay tuned for the next one. 

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/01/22/update-on-xbox-live-gold-pricing/

 

 

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1352625698800734209?s=20

Link to Wario64's account

 

The price of Xbox Gold will be increasing to $60 for a 6-month membership. Looks like an email was sent out to Xbox email recipients. Increasing the yearly subscription by 2 times. My hope is that Sony will not follow Xbox with a price increase of their own. Xbox was looking good with game pass, now this :( . Server access should have been free like back in the ps3 days. Sorry to the Xbox gamers

 

 

 

Edited by DaivRules
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Burstawesome said:

My hope is that Sony will not follow through on a price increase of our own.


“Follow through” happens when something has been promised and it happens. 
 

In this case, I believe you meant “follow”. 
 

These digital services prices are pretty high if you pay retail. $30/12 months of Plus is about what I’ll pay. Maybe $40/12 months becomes out of my price for what I’ll get out of it. I’ll just go without at that price. Luckily sales/CDKeys has been able to provide Plus for my price point. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Burstawesome said:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1352625698800734209?s=20

Link to Wario64's account

 

The price of Xbox Gold will be increasing to $60 for a 6-month membership. Looks like an email was sent out to Xbox email recipients. Increasing the yearly subscription by 2 times. My hope is that Sony will follow Xbox with a price increase of their own. Xbox was looking good with game pass, now this :( . Server access should have been free like back in the ps3 days. Sorry to the Xbox gamers

Why would you hope Sony will follow?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cronopio-- said:

It's a tactic to push people to Game Pass would be my guess. I don't now :(

That is what is being speculated, pretty crazy that this would be how they would push for gamepass. I feel that more people would just pay for the increase then switch. Gamepass is a good deal already, if you're not on it you probably don't care.

2 minutes ago, Vergil said:

Why would you hope Sony will follow?

mistake 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Burstawesome said:

That is what is being speculated, pretty crazy that this would be how they would push for gamepass. I feel that more people would just pay for the increase then switch. Gamepass is a good deal already, if you're not on it you probably don't care.

mistake 

I see xD

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why they doubled price. Would have been better to just sunset gold, make Gamepass ultimate $10 a month, and make it the only way to get gold.

Still would have upset people, but it would have been a softer blow that could have been spun to seem like a deal for xbox gamers.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just remembered it wasn't that long ago there was a rumor about Xbox Live Gold multiplayer going free. That fell like a lead balloon.

 

Plus 12 month subscription is available regularly for about half price, are people able to find Live Gold 12 month subscriptions similarly discounted?

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More and more my switch to PC just feels that much more better. All those unfinished games and unlisted games on my backlog, unless excusive, can stay there. 

So much easier to just play games on a decent rig and fuck around with settings and not deal with controller.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Between getting rid of the 12-month option for Gold, and now the price hike... pretty clear they're trying to make Gold less appealing/phase it out and turn people over to Game Pass.  Which is a pretty bad deal, and sneaky of Microsoft, for people uninterested in Game Pass... unless the plan really is to make multiplayer free eventually.

 

 

6 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Plus 12 month subscription is available regularly for about half price, are people able to find Live Gold 12 month subscriptions similarly discounted?

 

A year of Gold used to be super easy to find around $30 (and PS+ was difficult to find a deal on), but I think with the whole "convert your Gold sub to Game Pass Ultimate for a dollar" thing those started selling like gangbusters and the tides turned a bit.  It's pretty tough to find it for that price now, at least I've had a hard time... presumably moreso as 12 month codes disappear and the price hike goes through.

Edited by Dreakon13
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering when this would happen. There's no way they've been making money on game pass as it is. Theyre probably pushing people into it by increasing the gold price, and then will increase the game pass price later this year. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

I was wondering when this would happen. There's no way they've been making money on game pass as it is. Theyre probably pushing people into it by increasing the gold price, and then will increase the game pass price later this year. 

 

Microsoft has admitted back in July that Game Pass is a long-term investment. It's pretty normal for services such as this to not make money from the get-go. However, they realize Game Pass has more value for the consumer than Gold and can eventually grow larger. I don't think they're anywhere close to raising the price just yet, and I don't think increasing a Gold membership correlates to them considering raising Game Pass memberships in the short term.

 

This is a tactic that reminds me of a common practice from news and tabloid markets, where they purposefully make getting just physical copies worse in comparison to either digital format or both. By leading their consumer base away from Gold and to something like Game Pass Ultimate that has Gold included for slightly more money, they can break even faster than with their current model. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BKnocheese said:

 

Microsoft has admitted back in July that Game Pass is a long-term investment. It's pretty normal for services such as this to not make money from the get-go. However, they realize Game Pass has more value for the consumer than Gold and can eventually grow larger. I don't think they're anywhere close to raising the price just yet, and I don't think increasing a Gold membership correlates to them considering raising Game Pass memberships in the short term.

 

This is a tactic that reminds me of a common practice from news and tabloid markets, where they purposefully make getting just physical copies worse in comparison to either digital format or both. By leading their consumer base away from Gold and to something like Game Pass Ultimate that has Gold included for slightly more money, they can break even faster than with their current model. 

 

I don't think raising the price of Gold correlates to raising the price of Game Pass, but it's clear they want to move on from Gold and making it less appealing/offering incentives to switch to Game Pass Ultimate is a quicker way to do that.  Once GPU is the only game in town, then there's nothing stopping them from raising the prices.  Or no cheaper alternative to turn to if you just want to play online short of switching consoles.  Doesn't mean they will, but still.

Edited by Dreakon13
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know the "Won't somebody, please think of the children?" argument is kinda disliked, but I know many people when they were younger would only play one or two games, Call of Duty, Fifa and such. I guess these days would be Fortnite, Rocket League, and Apex would be added to that list. 

My point is for these types of gamers and young children who straight up rely* on long running multiplayer games. Many people simply can't afford this price hike, especially children and doubly especially in a pandemic.

It doesn't really matter just how good of a deal Game Pass Ultimate is to those kinds of people, if anything removing the Gold option would lead to a even greater level of investment required. If you bought Disney+ just to watch Soul, then it probably would have been better to just buy the DVD.

 

*by rely I just mean for entertainment or socialising with friends long distance

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, breakingthegreen said:

I know the "Won't somebody, please think of the children?" argument is kinda disliked, but I know many people when they were younger would only play one or two games, Call of Duty, Fifa and such. I guess these days would be Fortnite, Rocket League, and Apex would be added to that list. 

My point is for these types of gamers and young children who straight up rely* on long running multiplayer games. Many people simply can't afford this price hike, especially children and doubly especially in a pandemic.

It doesn't really matter just how good of a deal Game Pass Ultimate is to those kinds of people, if anything removing the Gold option would lead to a even greater level of investment required. If you bought Disney+ just to watch Soul, then it probably would have been better to just buy the DVD.

 

*by rely I just mean for entertainment or socialising with friends long distance

 

If those families made a budget for this up until now, they're not going to stop for another $5 a month.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was hoping that this was fake, I haven't ever subscribed to Xbox live, but I hope Sony doesn't plan on increasing their price to $120, otherwise I won't be playing online whenever my subscription runs out not spending $120 just to play online games.
 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

 

If those families made a budget for this up until now, they're not going to stop for another $5 a month.

You'd be surprised how bad everyone I've met is at budgeting. Fella I knew had to sell his Playstation because he didn't leave any wiggle room and petrol when went up on price by 3p

Edited by breakingthegreen
it was 3p not 2 I think
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

120$ is quite hefty price actually :o

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read the outline but it still doesn't address why they're doing it unless I'm missing something?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Trini said:

I read the outline but it still doesn't address why they're doing it unless I'm missing something?

They're trying to get people to buy Game Pass Ultimate which is $15.99 a month and includes Game pass and Gold, they even set it up so you could convert your remain Gold months to GPU months. They're reckoning people will go "May as well get the better version for only a $5 more"

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Trini said:

I read the outline but it still doesn't address why they're doing it unless I'm missing something?

 

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/01/22/update-on-xbox-live-gold-pricing/

 

Quote

We invest in our community by strengthening the digital safety of our players, enabling new ways to share, communicate and play with your friends, and delivering industry leading reliability across our network.

Periodically, we assess the value and pricing of our services to reflect changes in regional marketplaces and to continue to invest in the Xbox community; we’ll be making price adjustments for Xbox Live Gold in select markets. In many markets, the price of Xbox Live Gold has not changed for years and in some markets, it hasn’t changed for over 10 years.

 

The bolded is their official pitch on the price increase.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Microsoft's greed leading the industry yet again. Don't be surprised when the other companies follow suit.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, effdeegee said:

Microsoft's greed leading the industry yet again. Don't be surprised when the other companies follow suit.

 

MS didn't even have the balls to create or price a 12-month service nor was anyone bold enough to put their name to the official release. 

 

There are only two other companies. What part of Nintendo's online do you think will pass for $120 a year?

Sony's online is functional but they cut back on PS+ games while slightly increasing save capacity. How would $120 a year play for Sony?

 

What is really happening is MS is creating value for the Gamepass Ultimate bundle. Previously, you would save no money from just buying GP and buying Gold vs buying GPU. Now the price hike on Gold has made the price of GPU make sense.(In a completely ass backwards way)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.