Resident Evil 4 Remake

Abby_TheLastofUs

Wesker's VA and all around creepy guy, DC Douglas broke his NDA and shared what looks to be concept art of Wesker from the RE4 remake.

Breaking the NDA the way he did also means there's a good chance Capcom might axe him and we'll be getting a new VA for Wesker.

Update

Resident Evil leaker, Dusk Golem, says the concept art is real but it isn't for the RE4 remake. From other Resident Evil reports going around, It appears to instead have been from the now cancelled/reworked Resident Evil: Outrage, which was supposed to follow up on Code Veronica.

Edited by Abby_TheLastofUs
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

The first game really needs the remake treatment. Most of us were late teens or early 20's when that came out and it was great. But when you look back on it, its like the dialog was written by someone who hadn't been on Earth very long. And the voice acting.... made my ears sick. 

I'm a strong supporter for 1 to be remade over 4, although both could do with a 2022 remake as both have aged poorly by this point.

I know 1 was remade in 2002, but that was a very long time ago; this shouldn't preclude it from getting a current-era remake. I also think 1 should be the higher priority because unless you're mid-thirties or older, many people are going to have missed it because of their age, whereas 4 is almost 10 years younger. Personally believe they'll remake 4 first, though, as it's the more 'iconic' game and was the franchise's true critical darling. 

On 07/11/2021 at 11:46 PM, Zephrese said:

Good games can also age poorly in some or even several areas, though.
It's really not that hard to comprehend, nor is it completely illogical and without reason or purpose.

Amen. Games can 10/10 in 2000 but be terrible to play in 2020, just as will be the case of current games 10 years from now. It's why games get remade in the first place; to give classics the treatment of the modern-era, to show what they would be if they released today (plus $$$, no doubt). The early RE games were absolutely critical for the progression of an entire genre, but I personally cannot played 1-3 (OG, of course) at all, the gameplay is just so archaic and wooden. Even 4 is a push now, and I played 4 when it came out! Good games can age badly. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

The first game really needs the remake treatment. Most of us were late teens or early 20's when that came out and it was great. But when you look back on it, its like the dialog was written by someone who hadn't been on Earth very long. And the voice acting.... made my ears sick. 

The first was remade and it's amazing. It kept what made the original great. Unlike the second games remake, which while good lost what the original version had.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PhantomFear94 said:

I'm a strong supporter for 1 to be remade over 4, although both could do with a 2022 remake as both have aged poorly by this point.

I know 1 was remade in 2002, but that was a very long time ago; this shouldn't preclude it from getting a current-era remake. I also think 1 should be the higher priority because unless you're mid-thirties or older, many people are going to have missed it because of their age, whereas 4 is almost 10 years younger. Personally believe they'll remake 4 first, though, as it's the more 'iconic' game and was the franchise's true critical darling. 

Amen. Games can 10/10 in 2000 but be terrible to play in 2020, just as will be the case of current games 10 years from now. It's why games get remade in the first place; to give classics the treatment of the modern-era, to show what they would be if they released today (plus $$$, no doubt). The early RE games were absolutely critical for the progression of an entire genre, but I personally cannot played 1-3 (OG, of course) at all, the gameplay is just so archaic and wooden. Even 4 is a push now, and I played 4 when it came out! Good games can age badly. 

Mate. GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas along with Resi 4 were games I never thought would ever be topped. But controls and mechanics have come a long way that these former gems are now horrid to play. But  Resi 4 remake would be ace. Its the dialog as well which needs a whole new performance as all the games were so bad on original release in that regard. 

6 hours ago, PhantomFear94 said:

Am I the only one who thinks both ReMake and RE4 aged really well? hahaha Don't get me wrong an over the shoulder Re1 would be awesome and I would love a remake of 4, but both games are nothing but a joy to play in my humble opinion :D

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Johnathan994 said:

Am I the only one who thinks both ReMake and RE4 aged really well? hahaha Don't get me wrong an over the shoulder Re1 would be awesome and I would love a remake of 4, but both games are nothing but a joy to play in my humble opinion :D

Changing the camera in RE1 Would totally change the feel of the game. It gets its tension from what you can't see. If you've a camera over the shoulder that you can move then you totally loose that. You loose it's atmosphere.

RE2 remake while good lost a lot from the original in terms of atmosphere and setting.

It's why modern horror films mostly fail to get across any tension or foreboding. If you show the audience everything, then they know what they're dealing with. What you can't see, is a lot more scary than what you can.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

What you can't see, is a lot more scary than what you can.

This is also why many books are better than the films based on them.

Fear driven by your own imaginative immersion can be absolutely terrifying and when done correctly it is pure gold. Capcom are experts at this.

7 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

Changing the camera in RE1 Would totally change the feel of the game. It gets its tension from what you can't see. If you've a camera over the shoulder that you can move then you totally loose that. You loose it's atmosphere.

RE2 remake while good lost a lot from the original in terms of atmosphere and setting.

It's why modern horror films mostly fail to get across any tension or foreboding. If you show the audience everything, then they know what they're dealing with. What you can't see, is a lot more scary than what you can.

I do agree, up to a point. It's clear that Re2 remake goes for a different kind of horror compared to the older games. And I can always play those if I want to go for the "unseen" type of horror. I also would not got so far to say that the over the shoulder camera removes the atmosphere, it's just different as I've said. Not to mention that, while generaly you are right when it comes to unseen creatures being scarier than the ones we do see often, there are many monsters that remain scary or chilling no matter how many times you see them. And finally I would not really compare Re2 remake to modern horror movies.

Most of them go for cheap thrills that fail every time while re2 remake has actual tense moments in my opinion :D 

• 2 months later...

I remember rumors at the start of 2021 that the team that was in charge of RE3 remake really took the criticism to heart when it came to the RE3 and decided they were valid about cut content and not scary enough game. But apparently Capcom stepped in and decided to move the developement to the main team and modernize the whole thing more. No clue if there is even a hint of truth in that, I just remember reading about it. 

As much as I agree with changes to RE3 bein unnecesary, aren't some of you looking through rose tinted glasses at RE4? It's my absolute favorite from the franchise, I absolutely adore it, but come on, some parts could use some changes. Salazar giant robot statue? Absurdly comical Leon suplexes? Del Lago fight? How about military island, especially big dude with a gatling gun? I remember RE4 as absolute masterpiece of campy action horror but there are definitely some things that wouldn't fly today. Especially with current RE games changing their tone to more serious one. I for one hope they will change some stuff, but keep it good, RE2 remake was good mix of staying faithful and modernizing stuff. But that's obviously just my opinion, I know many people would just prefer something more akin to between remake/remaster 1:1 recreation with new models, engine and mechanics and that's all

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ArabianSwordsman said:

If that article does turn out to be true where they’re adding stuff from the original trailer with the dolls and the hookman i’ll eat my shorts in anticipation  

That is a bit extreme, But might be interesting to watch :popcorn:?.

Edited by gamercris066

On 11/29/2021 at 9:44 AM, RedDevil757 said:

The first was remade and it's amazing. It kept what made the original great. Unlike the second games remake, which while good lost what the original version had.

On 11/30/2021 at 1:39 PM, RedDevil757 said:

RE2 re-imagined while good lost a lot from the original in terms of atmosphere and setting.

I am with RedDevil on this one, the camera helps to build the atmosphere, you could say the camera is a character of its own. the old adage, what you cannot see is scarier than what you can see. While the 2 newest re-imaginings are not bad games they just feel more like generic shooters that actual Resident Evil games. Now 3rd person can work and a game can feel like Resident Evil in OTS, just look at Revelations 1s Jill segments, Revelations 2 was not too bad either.

The 2 newest re-imaginings, I feel, should have been called something else and made to be new sequels or even spin-offs. They are so different from the originals that they are unrecognizable. Think about it just change a couple of names and nobody would think it was supposed to be Resident Evil 2/3. Just my 2 cents.

https://www.residentevil2.com/us/about.php

As for Resident Evil 4 that one for me could go either way. Will it be a remake or a re-imagining and will it be good or bad? we will have to wait and see.

Edited by Void