This game and Mask of Deception have been delisted on PS4

Not to sure where to post this, but I thought it worth informing anyone who stumbles upon this that sadly, the digital PS4 versions of Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth and Mask of Deception have been delisted from PSN without any prior warning. I checked the PSN store, the Vita versions are still listed, at least for the UK store anyway. ZAN and Prelude to the Fallen (both Vita and PS4 versions) also seem currently unaffected.

I also came across this tweet that seems to confirm this:

If for any reason you've been looking to get these games but have been holding off on it, get the Vita versions while you can (if you can), or get physical copies as the tweet suggests, before they get too pricey. I got the trilogy last year physically, all brand new, and they honestly weren't that cheap then either (especially Prelude to the Fallen). Not sure how much they go for nowadays, but they will likely inevitably go up in price since the physical versions would be the only way to obtain the PS4 versions legally now.

I'm unsure if all regions are affected by this delisting, so please let me know if the PS4 versions still exist on any version of the PSN storefront.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, POEman553 said:

Has Atlus offered any explanation for the delisting? Usually they are good about communication.

Atlus’ licensing rights have expired, according to Gematsu.

A representative for Atlus, which published both titles in the west, confirmed to Gematsu that the titles were delisted because Atlus’ licensing rights expired. Atlus did not have any information about whether the games would return to the digital storefront.

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/01/utawarerumono-mask-of-deception-and-mask-of-truth-delisted-from-playstation-store-in-the-west-as-licensing-expires

1 hour ago, POEman553 said:

Has Atlus offered any explanation for the delisting? Usually they are good about communication.

Of course, it may be a case of "if it's not Persona, we don't care" from them.

Its probably just a danganronpa situation where atlus originally published the mask of deception and truth games but nis america took over the series with prelude to the fallen and zan and could possibly localize future utawarerumono or other aquaplus games(it might be worth picking up tears to tiara 2 incase that gets delisted since atlus also published that one and its also by the same developer as well). 

So...the only digital (EU) Vita lists are the ones that will be gone for good? Since they’re physical copies for PS4 for NA and EU... they said the vita version of Prelude is also digital only, but it shares the PS4 List. Hmmm... not sure if I want to get the EU vita versions at that price and not sure how long the vita region switch trick would work.....

4 hours ago, jgm4789 said:

Its probably just a danganronpa situation where atlus originally published the mask of deception and truth games but nis america took over the series with prelude to the fallen and zan and could possibly localize future utawarerumono or other aquaplus games(it might be worth picking up tears to tiara 2 incase that gets delisted since atlus also published that one and its also by the same developer as well). 

They're currently on Steam published by Shiravune and DMM Games. idk which role each has, Steam is confusing at times when it lists multiple publishers. From looking at it a bit, it looks like DMM Games might be the Japanese side of things while Shiravune are the English side of things. 

Both games came out in January last year on Steam, and Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen has come out today published by them.

3 hours ago, ElevExplorer64 said:

Damn. And this happens right as I was hoping to get into more Japanese games...

If you're specifically out for these games, they're on PC as I mentioned above.

As others have already stated, seems the first 2 games were published by Atlus in the West, with Prelude to the Fallen being published by NIS America. Atlus' licensing has expired, hence why the games were de-listed. Would have been nice to get some forewarning on it, but sadly it seems more common for games to get de-listed without any heads up whatsoever.

There could be a chance they get re-listed at some point if NIS America or someone else picks up the licensing rights, but who knows if that'll actually happen. Currently the Vita versions are still listed on the UK PSN storefront at the time of writing this, and the games are still available digitally on Steam, as well as physically on PS4.

Edited by SuperSmexy500
Typo
  • Like 1