Which Ratchet & Clank Games are good?

SHADOW-KILLER-S2

Hi everyone,

I have never been much into the Ratchet and Clank games until now but that will probably change. When i saw the Rift apart trailer for PS5 it made we want to play the previous games, i have the PS4 reboot though PS+ and i saw the movie on Netflix but i never got any of the PS3 ones while i still play my PS3 often.

So which ones are worth playing and which ones should i avoid?

I can imagine that the remastered PS2 trilogy is outdated but is it still fun? Should i play the trilogy first before starting the 2016 reboot?

I plan on playing the ''Future'' games which are Tools of destruction, Quest for Booty, A Crack in time and Nexus too?

What about All 4 one and Frontal Assault, are they great games?

Hope you guys can help me decide which i should play and which are not worth it.

The original trilogy still holds up really well, even on PS4. The first three games are still a total blast (the first doesn't play as well as the other two but it's still definitely worth experiencing). I think R&C2 is still probably my favourite Ratchet game.

As for the Future trilogy, Tools of Destruction is alright. Quest for Booty is also fine but really short. A Crack In Time is (in my opinion) the best of the Future series and just a really enjoyable experience all around. Nexus ain't bad either.

All 4 One is designed around multiplayer and just isn't that fun ultimately. Full Frontal Assault / Q-Force is a decent game from memory - I don't remember too much of it though (I just remember grinding for one trophy that involves the hoverboots).

Hope that helps! 

• Like 2

I'd recommend you play them all tbh i liked all of them. If you absolutely must drop some because of time constraints etc I'd drop Gladiator, all 4 one and frontal assault (names may differ per region) purely because they are different from the main games in some way

Frontal assault is a tower defence style game, all 4 one is a top down twin stick shooter and gladiator is mainly an arena battle type thing if memory serves

• Like 1

All of them (I'm not kidding).  I enjoyed all of them, and there are some vast differences between them.  Deadlocked, Full Frontal Assault, and All 4 One play completely differently from the original trilogy, the PS4 remake, Crack and Nexus.  As far as the original trilogy holding up, I actually ended up playing them all in more or less reverse order, playing the original trilogy last (before the remake was made), and they are still tons of fun.  And the remake is almost the exact same game as the first of the original trilogy.  If you play them back to back, you'll have slightly higher res deja vu.

The original trilogy, I can best define as being the most 'authentic' in the series.  I mean this in terms of raw gameplay.  Full Frontal Assault is basically tower defense, but with a Ratchet spin, Deadlocked is hard to explain, it's basically just a lot of 'challenges', if that makes sense.  All 4 One is meant to be played with others (and you'll need to play online to get all the trophies), but for the most part, I think you can breeze through it solo if you're just after the experience.  Crack and Nexus, as I said before, play more like the original trilogy and I probably enjoyed them the most, but then again, playing in reverse order, they were my first R&C games, and that's probably why.  Again, they are ALL really great games, imo.  I'd recommend playing them all, in chronological order.  And if you get fatigued, just space them out and play other games in between.

• Like 2

A Crack in Time was my favourite, the most complete Ratchet & Clank game IMO. The Future trilogy was strong.

Ratchet Deadlocked is also great, a hidden gem.

All 4 One and Q-Force aren't as good.

Into the Nexus and R&C PS4 were good games, where as the original trilogy did not age well .

1 hour ago, SHADOW-KILLER-S2 said:

Hi everyone,

I have never been much into the Ratchet and Clank games until now but that will probably change. When i saw the Rift apart trailer for PS5 it made we want to play the previous games, i have the PS4 reboot though PS+ and i saw the movie on Netflix but i never got any of the PS3 ones while i still play my PS3 often.

So which ones are worth playing and which ones should i avoid?

I can imagine that the remastered PS2 trilogy is outdated but is it still fun? Should i play the trilogy first before starting the 2016 reboot?

I plan on playing the ''Future'' games which are Tools of destruction, Quest for Booty, A Crack in time and Nexus too?

What about All 4 one and Frontal Assault, are they great games?

Hope you guys can help me decide which i should play and which are not worth it.

Skip the very first R&C game on PS2, the 2016 PS4 game is basically the first game except with modern controls and obviously better graphics, so start with that one. Then play Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal. Skip Gladiator/Deadlocked, just a spin-off and not important to the story.

As for the PS3 games, play Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, A Crack in Time and Into The Nexus. Skip All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault, they're also spin-offs.

Once you've played all of those, you're fully caught up with the story and ready for Rift Apart on PS5 when it comes out.

Edited by Asimb0mb

This is a good series and most of them are worth playing. I'll write a bit on what I think of each one and the following is just my opinion.

The original trilogy is fantastic. R&C1 is a bit dated, but R&C2 is where the series peaked as far as I'm concerned. All three should be experienced.

Deadlocked/Gladiator changes it up by being essentially a collection of arena based challenges with a story. I wasn't a huge fan of this idea, but still found the game very fun. The ps3 remaster has some heavy visual glitching, especially in cutscenes, but it's worth playing.

The Future trilogy and Nexus are alright. Tools of Destruction doesn't have trophy support. Quest for Booty doesn't either and is incredibly short. Crack in Time is the best one out of them. They're all good games and all four are worth playing, but I'd put experiencing the original trilogy and perhaps even Deadlocked above these.

All 4 One is another change up. This game is a simplified, co-op multiplayer focused take on the franchise. It's not bad, especially with friends to play with, but I wouldn't worry about missing out on this one.

Full Frontal Assault/Q-Force is yet another oddball, being a tower defense game with a large focus on multiplayer, but also a short campaign to play through. It's more true to the series formula than the earlier All 4 One I think, but despite this it's the game I enjoyed the least. I don't think it's completely unfun, but I'd put this at the bottom.

The PS4 movie tie-in game, the reboot of R&C1, is a mixed bag for me. The gameplay is very good, but a sizable chunk from R&C1 has been cut, and the changes to characters and tone are not for the better. Hate using this term but when comparing this to the game it's supposed to be reimagining, it feels soulless. But again, plays good, so worth it for that. Under the original trilogy, Deadlocked, and Future+Nexus, but above All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault.

• Like 3

All games available on the PS3 are good but I would say maybe replace the original on the PS2 with the PS4 re-imagining since the controls sadly feel very dated in that one (a shooter with no strafe) and skip the co-op game All 4 One unless you have a co-op partner. Quest For Booty is OK but pointless and like 2 hours long plus it has no trophies. Full Frontal Assault is actually really fun, both as a solo and multiplayer game but it is short too and doesn't really do anything with the story so don't overpay for that one. 

So, I suggest these which I consider great:

Ratchet 2016

Going Commando

Up Your Arsenal

Deadlocked (really fun arena action game but it can be skipped too tbh)

Tools of Destruction

A Crack In Time

Into the Nexus

The rest is good but so are a million other games out there so skip unless you become a major fan.

Thanks for the answers everyone!

I have decided to focus on the story and play the original trilogy HD remaster and the Future trilogy first.

The HD remaster seems to be getting rare and a little bit expensive here in Europe, but i will try to find it at a good price.

If i like those games i can always decide to play the spin offs later.

Original Trilogy is great, the first one is pretty dated and has bad shooting controls, but still fun. 2 and 3 are fantastic.
Gladiator/Deadlocked is maybe my favorite R&C game, it's very action oriented and absolute blast to play.
Tools of Destruction is another great title, but without trophies. Worth playing though.
Quest for Booty is short and also trophyless fun, I think this one is bundled with Into the Nexus.
Crack In Time is the best original PS3 title for sure, awesome game.
All 4 One & Full Frontal Assault I haven't played, but pretty much everyone agree that they're weakest entries in the whole franchise. Howewer since they're made by Insomniac and from what I've seen, I think they're not terrible, just dissapointing.
Into the Nexus is very good.
R&C 2016 is one of my favorite PS4 games in general, I guess you can play it intead of the first game, but it's not 1:1 remake like MediEvil for example.

The highlighted titles are definitely recommended from the point of trophy hunting and fun.