How does PSNprofiles grab peoples profile data?

This may not be entirely correct, but here's how I believe PSNP pulls trophy data from Sony Servers: Sly Ripper has written his own API to pull profile data & trophy lists from Sony servers and every time you enter a user name in the main PSNP page, it perform query on Sony Servers and it doesn't require a specific user to do so. After that first query the profile is then added to PSNP database and stays there for a good while (Is there ever been data purges for unregistered users?) and user of a profile already in PSNP wants to register itself, it just needs to follow the instructions on how to change and verify the "about me" code.

In simpler words, anyone can enter a Profile ID on main page and that's how data gets pulled from Sony servers. If profile stay unregistered, manual updates must be mades in order to reflect recent acquired trophies. Regular and Premium users have automatic updates on 24 and 6 hours intervals, respectively.

Back in the day I believe PSNP pulled data from anyone on Sony server, then Sony didnt like that, and told PSNP to stop that shit. So now you want to que you well have type your name in.

23 hours ago, NERVergoproxy said:

Back in the day I believe PSNP pulled data from anyone on Sony server, then Sony didnt like that, and told PSNP to stop that shit.

Is there a reason why Sony doesn’t have any kind of official leaderboard that they run themselves? I’ve always wondered this. They are sitting on this massive treasure trove of raw trophy data and don’t do anything with it at all...

Whether you’re a trophy hunter or not, it’s a fact that the trophy system has become an integral part of the whole PlayStation experience, and a big part of the PlayStation brand as a whole. That beautiful “ping” sound when you unlock a trophy has become such a familiar comfort for PlayStation gamers, whether they even realize it or not. Yet in so many ways the trophy update back in 2008 just feels like such a half-assed implementation, and a missed opportunity.

All I know is that I am hugely thankful to people like Sly Ripper, and the sites like PSNP that have allowed us to track trophy progress and view in-depth statistics, as well as creating a hub for likeminded players and trophy hunters to get together and share our enjoyment of this hobby. The work they’ve done is incredible. ?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

Whether you’re a trophy hunter or not, it’s a fact that the trophy system has become an integral part of the whole PlayStation experience, and a big part of the PlayStation brand as a whole.

Almost every single family member or friend who has had Playstation consoles up to and including PS5 pays no attention to trophies or trophy levels. The one that does is only aware of them, but doesn’t make any effort to acquire them.

Just because Sony has been trying to make the trophy system integral to the Playstation experience, doesn’t mean that it’s effective with their customers.

22 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

Is there a reason why Sony doesn’t have any kind of official leaderboard that they run themselves?

I think for them to stand up a trophy leaderboard they would have to first acknowledge trophy cheaters, which would have to establish trophy system integrity, which isn’t going to happen. Sony’s minimal lip service to trophies is a reflection of how seriously Sony takes them. And I think that’s about how seriously Sony expects Playstation gamers to take them. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Almost every single family member or friend who has had Playstation consoles up to and including PS5 pays no attention to trophies or trophy levels. The one that does is only aware of them, but doesn’t make any effort to acquire them.

Just because Sony has been trying to make the trophy system integral to the Playstation experience, doesn’t mean that it’s effective with their customers.

This is exactly my point about the whole thing being a missed opportunity though. Sony missed a great chance to make the trophy system something really special and unique to PlayStation, and made the whole experience so much more interactive than it is now. I’ve got lots of ideas on this, but I’ve discussed them extensively in other threads so I won’t get into that here.

However, official recognition (in the form of a leaderboard system or something) would have been a decent start, and would probably make a difference in making casual players more interested. A lot of casuals aren’t interested in trophy hunting, because they don’t even realize there is a whole competitive side to it and an entire community dedicated to this hobby.

My little brother is a great example of this fact. He discovered this world recently, and went from being completely indifferent towards trophies to being a hardcore trophy hunter now. He loves it now, and loves this site too now that he’s aware of it! This is the exact same process I went through myself a few years back as well. 

Sadly, I fully agree with you that Sony doesn’t give two shits about the trophy system, this is obvious in so many ways. The recent PS5 release is even further evidence of this fact, as besides that rather pointless “update” to the trophy levelling system, they really made no effort to improve anything. And apparently they actually somehow took steps backwards in several regards.

Tbh I think the only reason they even implemented the trophy system in the first place is because they saw that achievement hunting was growing in popularity and they wanted to emulate the same thing X-box was doing with their popular GamerScore system lol.

Edited by dieselmanchild

1 hour ago, dieselmanchild said:

Tbh I think the only reason they even implemented the trophy system in the first place is because they saw that achievement hunting was growing in popularity and they wanted to emulate the same thing X-box was doing with their popular GamerScore system lol.

Thats partially true. The achievement and trophy systems are built in advertising driven by FOMO. They absolutely drive sales of games by getting people to advertise to each other. These systems get people to check out and buy the games their friends are playing and earning trophies in. 

7 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Is there a reason why Sony doesn’t have any kind of official leaderboard that they run themselves? I’ve always wondered this. They are sitting on this massive treasure trove of raw trophy data and don’t do anything with it at all...

No idea, you'd have to ask Sony. They probably don't want to spend resources to run a leaderboard where it could be filled with cheaters and hackers. There are plenty of accounts on PSN that are hacked trophies.

On 2021-01-25 at 1:16 AM, NERVergoproxy said:

No idea, you'd have to ask Sony. They probably don't want to spend resources to run a leaderboard where it could be filled with cheaters and hackers. There are plenty of accounts on PSN that are hacked trophies.

This is a good point. I hadn’t really considered this. It’s hard to think of a single game on PSN with a leaderboard that doesn’t have all the top positions filled with hackers, cheaters, and impossible times.