Unnecessarily long?

Kimbapbap

I'm about by my estimates a third of the way through the game and I feel like they could have reduced the collectibles by at least a quarter of the whole and the game would be better for it. Too many unnecessary stops in the world which add little to no value to the overall story. 

Edited by Kimbapbap
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Kimbapbap said:

I'm about by my estimates a third of the way through the game and I feel like they could have reduced the collectibles by at least a quarter of the whole and the game would be better for it. Too many unnecessary stops in the world which add little to no value to the overall story. 

They want you to not just experience the story but the world they created 

Just for story is like going to a museum where all there are is placards telling u the history of each painting or sculpture but all the artworks in the back in storage cause no one looks at the art

• Like 1

Soooooo damn long! There is something like 800 collectables which is insane. I have started using a 'God mode' glitch where the enemies do not attack you so you do not become overwhelmed by 50 odd soldiers while you try to collect one single bit of wealth. This makes collecting stuff a bit faster.

I pretty much enjoyed everything else like the world and story though.

On 27/01/2021 at 2:50 AM, ziggypop_79 said:

I agree. I’ve completely forgotten about any story because I’m so damn busy running from collectibles, to forts constantly. 

For me there are so many useless collectibles littering up my inventory. Yeah, I am aware that patterns and schematics are removed when you visit the relevant hut, but there's some much more dross in there. I can't be bothered to fish or hunt just to get a weak rune or a tattoo I'm never going to use.

As for the tattoos, what's the point? I found a neat set while still in Norway and, after I added a full set to get the trophy, I've never bothered with them again. I'm sure someone would like to have a full hand plastered on their face, but not me. If they gave you some sort of benefit they might be worth the effort, but since they are only cosmetic, I don't see the point.

Also, I chose to follow the path if the Wolf and I found all my preferred kit very early on in the game, with the occasional Wolf shield or weapon turning up later. I should be able to offload all the stuff I don't want to use, either selling it or chucking it in a chest back home.

• Like 1

Agree excessive collectibles can be a drag but I guess it's the price you pay if you want the plat.

Origins and Odyssey had their fair share of collectibles/busywork activities and it didn't massively affect my enjoyment of the games. That said, I haven't played a AAA game in ages that didn't have what could be considered an excessive amount of collectibles. Just seems as though it's how games are made these days and they get tacked on to give people more to do and extend the life of the game (albeit in the least creative way possible). 

Alternatives exist such as not going for the plat and enjoying the game bits you want to play and ignore the rest or playing it on a different account but not ideal. 

It's on my list for platting at  some point and I'm going in with eyes open so I know what to expect so I shan't be kicking up a fuss but hope that these kinds of games don't become collectible slogathons in the future.

Artty44.png

Edited by Artty44

• 3 weeks later...

Although i enjoyed it all, i did find it quite endless too.

Vinland, both dreamy locations, and even Norway all felt very much like 4 different pieces of DLC that they had given us for free (which isnt a bad thing), but it all added to the length of the game when it didnt really need to overall, as there was still alot to get through just in England.

Theres an overly generous amount of content In AC Valhalla i guess lol.

I played all Assassins Creed Games till now and I got 100% in both Origins and Odyssee. Those games where fun to me. But Valhalla is incredible boring and lifeless. I really dislike the game and I can't even say why.

I'd rather hit my head against a wall, repeatedly, than collect all 800-something collectibles.

I gave up on getting the plat rather early. I might return for the dlc, but only because of the story.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Salt_AU said:

I see this quite a lot but those collectibles aren't required to complete the game, especially when you specifically mention that they add no value to the overall story.  You're right, so don't worry about them!

Platinum.  Well that's a different 'story', if you want the trophy you will have to earn it, or not. It does not affect the story of the game whatsoever.

I am definitely going for the plat hence felt rather discouraged with the amount of collectibles. But yeah, I'm slowly churning away going 1 map at a time. 

14 hours ago, Ranari_Kai said:

I played all Assassins Creed Games till now and I got 100% in both Origins and Odyssee. Those games where fun to me. But Valhalla is incredible boring and lifeless. I really dislike the game and I can't even say why.

I'd rather hit my head against a wall, repeatedly, than collect all 800-something collectibles.

I gave up on getting the plat rather early. I might return for the dlc, but only because of the story.

This! It felt like Origins and Odyssey were much more "alive". I have both game's plats and 100% Odyssey, I wasn't able to buy the last DLC of Origins but I got the plat for that as well and the first set of DLC trophies so I'm definitely not a newbie to AC games. There's also a lot of annoyances with this game that really grinds my gears. Chasing after that flying tattoo collectible and then Eivor deciding to do something stupid because of the silly pathing really frustrates me. Fishing is also really unrewarding and boring for me. Orlog on the other hand, is a nice little mini-game that I admittedly quite enjoy. 

4 hours ago, Kimbapbap said:

[snip] Chasing after that flying tattoo collectible and then Eivor deciding to do something stupid because of the silly pathing really frustrates me. Fishing is also really unrewarding and boring for me. Orlog on the other hand, is a nice little mini-game that I admittedly quite enjoy. 

I hated chasing that stupid paper in the other games, especially, as you say, Eivor would deviate from the path. However, I found the best way to catch these annoyances was to trigger one then switch to Raven View. With the raven, follow its path till it stopped and place a marker close by. Then all that was needed was to run to the marker and wait for the tattoo to arrive.

The fishing was pointless in my eyes. I never used any of the rewards rewards for handing them in and being forced to fish to complete a world event was super irritating.

I enjoyed Orlog very much too. I've heard rumours of a board game version being released.

I don't think anyone can say they didn't get their money's worth with this one lmao. While I found oddesey to be the better game, I still enjoyed most of my time spent playing valhalla but I do agree they could of cut some parts for the story to be better paced. As someone above mentioned, I think it's unfair to judge a game based on the number of collectibles or whatever the trophy list requirements are. If you aren't going after all achievements valhalla will likely take 50-70 hours to beat which is well within the range of your standard open world rpg nowadays.

• Like 1

Definitely think Valhalla is the dullest and most uninteresting of the three most recent AC titles; I really enjoyed Odyssey and outside of II and IV it's probably one of my favourite entries in the franchise. Valhalla honestly felt like such a step back in a lot of ways and the game just felt bloated with collectibles that made side questing feel endless and more a chore than anything else.

I did like the story this time around for the most part but it was bogged down by so much needless repetition. Travelling around Norway / England was cool but it just didn't have the same awe-inspiring sense of exploration that I got from Origins and Odyssey. That said I did really enjoy the Asgard sequences, thought they were really awesomely done (except for some of the boss battles glitching out very intensely lmao).

AC really needs to zero in on what made it special once upon a time and go back to that imo. I've been into the franchise since the first one and I really thought Odyssey was a sign of good things to come for it but I came off disappointed with Valhalla. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, KristophDJHero said:

Definitely think Valhalla is the dullest and most uninteresting of the three most recent AC titles; I really enjoyed Odyssey and outside of II and IV it's probably one of my favourite entries in the franchise. Valhalla honestly felt like such a step back in a lot of ways and the game just felt bloated with collectibles that made side questing feel endless and more a chore than anything else.

I did like the story this time around for the most part but it was bogged down by so much needless repetition. Travelling around Norway / England was cool but it just didn't have the same awe-inspiring sense of exploration that I got from Origins and Odyssey. That said I did really enjoy the Asgard sequences, thought they were really awesomely done (except for some of the boss battles glitching out very intensely lmao).

AC really needs to zero in on what made it special once upon a time and go back to that imo. I've been into the franchise since the first one and I really thought Odyssey was a sign of good things to come for it but I came off disappointed with Valhalla. 

Man the asgard section of the game looks amazing but makes me want to stab my eyes out. The path finding on it is so tough so I spend forever just climbing cliffs straight up. And those tears you gotta collect ugh. And don't get me started about the cow mystery!!!

40 minutes ago, Super_Mep said:

Man the asgard section of the game looks amazing but makes me want to stab my eyes out. The path finding on it is so tough so I spend forever just climbing cliffs straight up. And those tears you gotta collect ugh. And don't get me started about the cow mystery!!!

Absolutely 100% hated the collectibles in that area, massively unfortunate that they were part of that. I liked the setting and stuff but I totally agree about all the cliffs too haha.

I have a friend who was locked out of 100% because one of the world events glitched out on him (the pig one in Cent)...

Edited by KristophDJHero

4 hours ago, KristophDJHero said:

Absolutely 100% hated the collectibles in that area, massively unfortunate that they were part of that. I liked the setting and stuff but I totally agree about all the cliffs too haha.

I have a friend who was locked out of 100% because one of the world events glitched out on him (the pig one in Cent)...

I haven't gone to cent yet. Great another animal one that will glitch out? Every single animal one wigs out for me. The bear one with Bjorn was all bugged out for me took multiple attempts to get the bear to take the damn fish. ?

8 hours ago, Xemik said:

I hated chasing that stupid paper in the other games, especially, as you say, Eivor would deviate from the path. However, I found the best way to catch these annoyances was to trigger one then switch to Raven View. With the raven, follow its path till it stopped and place a marker close by. Then all that was needed was to run to the marker and wait for the tattoo to arrive.

The fishing was pointless in my eyes. I never used any of the rewards rewards for handing them in and being forced to fish to complete a world event was super irritating.

I enjoyed Orlog very much too. I've heard rumours of a board game version being released.

Genius tip to use the Raven for the paper chasing!

Thanks ?