Unnecessarily long?

Kimbapbap

13 hours ago, NxtDoc said:

You don't have to go for the collectibles. 

You do if you want the Platinum lol

I would say its slightly longer than your average rpg coming in at around 100-120. According to my PS5, i managed to Platinum this in 110 hours over the span of 3.5 weeks playing 5-6 hours per day however, if were talking actual in game playing time, it’s definitely under 100 hours because I would take bathroom breaks as well as eating breaks which both combined comes to anywhere between 20-40 minutes (I obviously left the game on). Doing the math, over the 3 weeks everyday, 110 hours - 10.5 hours (30 mins average) is 99.5 hours without skipping cutscenes on main missions and activities

So if you don’t encounter any glitches/bugs (I didn’t encounter any), hopefully should be fixed by now, you’re looking at around what it says in the guides, about 110-120 hours give or take a few

20 hours ago, KristophDJHero said:

[snip]

I have a friend who was locked out of 100% because one of the world events glitched out on him (the pig one in Cent)...

I got hit by a severe glitch after 10 or so hours and had to restart. What happened a lot was when I killed a treasure carrying guard the treasure would sink into the ground making it uncollectible. It happened a few times, but in all cases, but the last I'd had a previous save I could go back to. I resolved this problem by getting the auto-loot skill.

Also got stung by the final quest glitch and had to load a save from 30 hours earlier. This showed how much time I'd spent on collectibles, because I'd completed everything but the final quest on my latest save. After deciding I had no choice but to go back 30 hours, I completed the story & that glitched quest in five hours.

On 2/21/2021 at 2:51 AM, Dan-lives-here said:

Does this game have a lot of "beat the timer" challenges or chasing after X person in X amount of time ? I hate that shit and its the only thing I don't like about AC series.

Those are gone from this game. No more "100% synchronization by doing x" anymore. Just play however you want axes blazing or be sneaky or both! Love that they did away with all the dumb requirements for missions.

I didn’t find it to be unnecessarily long but I was disappointed that with it’s length they didn’t really make the most of the ending.

As for the collectibles, they’re really not that bad. Find a podcast and chuck it on then go after them. Made my collectable hunt fun.

• Like 1

This is the first assassin's creed game in recent memory that I've taken such a long hiatus from and it's mainly due to the completionist trophy. As long as Odyssey was, it never forced you to do every single activity in each region, and that was good enough for me. In Valhalla however, I'm already burnt out to the point where I can't even glance at that game anymore. I'm sure I'll platinum it in time but as of now, it's not on my platinum radar anytime soon. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2021 at 1:56 AM, Stan Lee said:

Some people like repetitive, lengthy, grindy collectathons. More power to them. 

I look forward to experiencing the stories of these later Assassin's Creed titles. The platinums, not so much.

Even if you weren't going for platinum the game is still too long. In fact it's so long that you might as well go for platinum on the way to the end, at least then you get a trophy from it rather than the mess of a finale the story had to offer. They could have pulled about 3 chapters out of this story and it wouldn't have made a difference to the narrative.

For all the complaints people had about Odyssey - which was a brilliant game despite it deviating from what we know as Assassin's Creed - I don't understand how some people can enjoy this especially with all the bugs and crashes which will extend your playtime by about 30 hours with all the save reloading.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Imo it's to long. But, I am a viking geek and I love to discover the world and see new species of animals and find legendary loot. The game has to much to search for, all the wealth and mysteries could have been less more and spread more across the country. I still loved the game and almost reached my platinum trophy, but I will definitely wait till the DLC's come out and play them with more love, with Mjölnir and the Excalibur. 

I've just hit the 100 hr mark done all collectables apart from jortenheim.. Got a few more territories quest lines to do.. Haven't done any orlog games yet and haven't done all the fish.. That along with the order kills I reckon about 20-30 hrs left and I've been pretty proficient, not wasting much time at all.. This game is a slog! I platted odyssey in 70 hrs and that felt waaaaaay longer than the 100 I've done in valhalla. Its long as balls but its pretty damn good. (apart from the stone stacking.. That can **** right off..)

Sure it’s long, but isnt that what the two games before this one told us?

I honestly only thought 2 or 3 trophies were a chore where as I have seen everything else as a good and fun time, I have really liked origins, Odyssey and Valhalla, never a dull moment

For me, these new AC games are empty. Huge and empty worlds, more of the same, a pre-made game with a saturated formula. I can't see myself playing, maybe if they were free but maybe not even so. I liked it when AC Origins came out, but I soon realized that it was not what I thought.

On 24/04/2021 at 7:32 AM, dj_lalle said:

Sure it’s long, but isnt that what the two games before this one told us?

I honestly only thought 2 or 3 trophies were a chore where as I have seen everything else as a good and fun time, I have really liked origins, Odyssey and Valhalla, never a dull moment

Not really.. Origins took me 45 hrs and odyssey with the first dlc took me 70. I'm at 110 hrs now and still about 20-30 left.. Hopefully. Its easily double the time of odyssey.. 

On 24/04/2021 at 8:08 AM, kevao97 said:

For me, these new AC games are empty. Huge and empty worlds, more of the same, a pre-made game with a saturated formula. I can't see myself playing, maybe if they were free but maybe not even so. I liked it when AC Origins came out, but I soon realized that it was not what I thought.

To be fair to valhalla there is plenty to do and I'm convinced the map is smaller than odyssey.. 

• 3 months later...

Reading all of these comments really made me think Valhalla isn't for me. I'm playing Odyssey and while it's alright I liked Egypt in Origins better. I don't see appeal of murky medieval England at all. Especially if I'd have to spend 100+ hours doing repetitive tasks over and over again. I'm fed up with them in Odyssey and I guess I'm like 70% through the story.

I was already bored with Odyssey three quarters of the way in. Too many enemy camps that all looked the same. So many locations were the same boring objectives over and over and over. Kill this enemy captain. Loot this many chests. The map was far too big.

The Fate of Atlantis DLC sort of lifted my spirits a bit. But I've come to the realization that overly long open world games may not be for me.

• Like 1

I started this back in April (PS5) and for a short while was invested and really into it and kind of naively thought it wouldnt be as big a game as people said it was.

After a short break playing it, to allow for trophy milestones and other commitments etc I got back into it proper about 2-3wks ago with my save at about 45-50hrs.

115hrs in now and my word the game is so big with no end in sight!!! Im enjoying it (luckily) but get why some won't/didn't because collectibles alone (I still havent done Asgard/Jotunheim yet) are a 25-30hr commitment it feels like. I guess it depends in games like this providing there are no restrictions as to how you go about planning the play out (more for trophies). For Platinum its pretty much do everything, so its how you do it I guess. Im level 433 now and left all high level enemies up until recently where I was way OP than them so the trophies came quick, but to get to that point I have spent at least a week or just over (2-3hrs a night) doing collectibles to get them out of the way and of course get the points to level up (All story arcs bar Hamtunscire at this point are done).

Now some may say thats a tedious way, but as I was enjoying the story, I didnt want to spend hours outside of an arc clearing up only to forget what I was actually doing, where as doing what I did, means Im at the point of end game if you will now, knowing how the story has gone so far. Weirdly for me, I'm not bored of doing this, despite it being a tad tedious, which in other games I probably would be.

I don't like how some areas have more collectibles than others, I get why, but still. Once i'd done England, Vinland and Norway, I got to Asgard last night, saw how much wealth and mysteries were needed and just said FFS! I'll do them of course, but was like why so many AGAIN! ?. Im expecting the same in Jotunheim also. FUN TIMES...

There is a part of me that is more than ready to move on and play other AAA's I have, which timewise alone will be refreshing, but it'll be abgreat sense of achievement and relief when i'm done here with my 700th plat milestone ready with this game. Outside of that mindset im keen to see what the final play time on my save will be. How some folk can blaze through the base game in a short time is baffling and hats off to them, I can only think they can't fully enjoy or appreciate the game getting it done so quick.

• Like 2

Yes, the game was a bit too long. I think I probably would've enjoyed it more had I not played for long hours at a time, but rather completed a story arc or two at a time with some breaks in between. For instance, while I'm not sure whether the Irish DLC-arc was much better than the arcs in the main game, I enjoyed it far more than I did the last arcs in the main game, because I hadn't played the game in a while before starting it. Similarly, I'm looking forward to playing the French DLC now after months without Valhalla.

It took me longer to Plat the main game than most people at 201 hours. I didn't feel any fatigue until near the very end...and even then, once I was finished, I did the Daily/Weekly contracts literally every day as I was trying to get the Draugr armor from Reda, so I was checking with him everyday, and figured I might as well do the contracts while i'm here....can't even count how many times I had to kill those damn wolves right near Ravensthorpe. I have it now, but it took months of playing this game every single day before I had the armor set. So now with Siege of Paris, I've put over 300 hours into this game (according to my save file. PS5 tracker says over 520).

I don't know, I really don't mind that these games are so long. I mean, I have quite a few games in my backlog, I haven't touched due to time investment (MGSV has been sitting on my shelf, unplayed since 2015 because of that online trophy requiring so much time)...but for some reason, AC doesn't bother me in that department. However I will say this might be my limit...I don't think these games need to get any bigger in terms of sheer content (I'm okay with even bigger maps though)...keep it around here, or Odysseys length, and I'd be content with that.