TLOU II is officially the most awarded game of all time (260+ awards)

Lordidude

This record might not get broken for a few years.

Unless there is a big influx of awards in the upcoming years:

Total Awards per Year:

• 2019 - 398
  • 2018 - 423
  • 2017 - 384
  • 2016 - 431
  • 2015 - 447
  • 2014 - 414
  • 2013 - 528
  • 2012 - 384
  • 2011 - 405
  • 2010 - 293
  • 2009 - 214
  • 2008 - 205
  • 2007 - 158
  • 2006 - 113
  • 2005 -   61
  • 2004 -   55
  • 2003 -   39

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ac3dUd3- said:

No comment on the game as ive not played it. Id just like to drop in and say I think the amount of awards these days are ridiculous. Having 260 awards IMO doesnt make it sound any more impressive and just saying it won best art direction, best score etc is more than enough

I agree. The amount seems to dillute the meaning of these awards. Nevertheless it's very hard to argue against the consensus.

The problem is that a lot of people are insecure about their opinions and feel attacked when other players have a different favorite game.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Valkirye22 said:

It's an industry circle-jerk as usual

That doesn't really apply here, the game has more than 8x more player voted awards ("reader's choice") than any other game in 2020. Unless by "industry" you somehow mean everyone who plays games. It also has more player voted GOTY awards than any other game in history.

Now what is definitely true is that it didn't have major competition this year (no GoW, RDR2, BOTW type behemoth quality-wise came out in 2020) so the insane amount of awards is largely due to that. Personally however it became my favorite game of all time and I'm very happy to see it get so much recognition especially from players to counteract the narrative that the game is only loved by journalists.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VegaMan-X4 said:

Can you name me a hypothetical person who walks into a store and asks for a game with the most awards? I seriously doubt you can find one.

So do you want a hypothetical one or do you want to find one?

When it gets re-released on PS5 then branding it "The most awarded game of all time" will definitely help push more sales towards people who aren't lurking around in trophy hunter forums. There's no need for people to specifically ask for these kind of games.

There are a lot of people buying games non-digital.

If you don't have a lot of experience then comparing covers will definitely favor the one that can boast with a broader sense of industry accomplishments.

Edited by Lordidude
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Lordidude said:

So do you want a hypothetical one or do you want to find one?

When it gets re-released on PS5 then branding it "The most awarded game of all time" will definitely help push more sales towards people who aren't lurking around in trophy hunter forums.

I want you to get a better point.

When (if) it gets re-released you think stores will be easily duped into the same "it will look great collecting dust on your shelves" argument?

Tell you what. It'll do better in case they use them award labels to hide that stupid angry face on its cover.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lordidude said:

This record might not get broken for a few years.

Unless there is a big influx of awards in the upcoming years:

Total Awards per Year:

• 2019 - 398
  • 2018 - 423
  • 2017 - 384
  • 2016 - 431
  • 2015 - 447
  • 2014 - 414
  • 2013 - 528
  • 2012 - 384
  • 2011 - 405
  • 2010 - 293
  • 2009 - 214
  • 2008 - 205
  • 2007 - 158
  • 2006 - 113
  • 2005 -   61
  • 2004 -   55
  • 2003 -   39

So, basically, a game that won 10 awards in 2003 is infinitely more impressive than one that won hundreds after 2010 (or maybe even 2006).

Edited by Ric
  • Like 2

When I read most awarded in the title I don't know why I thought it was given out the most.

"Congratulations, you passed fifth grade math, here's The Last of Us II as reward."

Haven't played it and never will play it because I hate Naughty Dog's gameplay so no comment on anything else.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VegaMan-X4 said:

I want you to get a better point.

When (if) it gets re-released you think stores will be easily duped into the same "it will look great collecting dust on your shelves" argument?

TLOU was the most decorated game ever in 2013.

A year later the re-release easily outsold the PS3 version by nearly 50%. Even though there were more than 10x more PS3s sold than PS4s (85m vs 7.4m).

Whether you like it or not, awards push sales. The data on that is crystal clear.

Oscars push box office sales.

Grammys push album sales.

VG awards push video game sales.

1 minute ago, VegaMan-X4 said:

Tell you what. It'll do better in case they use them award labels to hide that stupid angry face on its cover.

I really don't understand how people can be so angry over a piece of medium they creatively don't agree with. lol

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Ric said:

So, basically, a game that won 10 awards in 2003 is infinitely more impressive than one that won hundreds after 2010 (or maybe even 2006).

No that's not how (primary school) math works...

10/39 is basically a 4th. After 2010 you have on average 400-500 awards a year so a game like Part II that wins 261 is twice as impressive as that hypothetical game from 2010. 

• Like 4