TLOU II is officially the most awarded game of all time (260+ awards)

Lordidude

1 hour ago, VegaMan-X4 said:

No need. Can you name me a hypothetical person who walks into a store and asks for a game with the most awards? I seriously doubt you can find one.

There is no need to go to extremes. I would not expect somebody to go to the store and asks for a game with the most awards.

1) First and the most important. As it was already mentioned, awards do help push sales, though. Awards are not written all over the game covers/posters just for the sake of it. People marketing these games are not stupid and every decision is backed up by hard data.

2) I also expect OP to care about the awards since he created this topic to discuss it. I don't know about you, but I don't create topics to discuss stuff I do not care about.

3) Nobody cares about the awards yet every time I visit some online discussion half of the people is triggered that all of the awards did not go to Ghost of Tsushima. The circle jerk around GoT is even more annoying than TLOU one in my opinion. I'm not saying it wasn't a good game but judging by these people it is a godsend straight from heaven and it needs to be mentioned under every TLOU post. So, I guess these people also do care about it since they are so offended by it for some reason.

57 minutes ago, VegaMan-X4 said:

Debatable. The product has to be good to begin with. Which in case of tLoU2 is subjective to say the least.

4) You.

Edited by BloodyRutz
  • Like 3

Well-deserved. In terms of quality, it's an insanely polished package. Talking about their work ethics is an entirely different matter, but the product itself - impactful and memorable.

Now that I've said my piece, I can sit back and watch the haters flood this thread as well, before the mods come to inevitably put a lock on it (or remove it entirely). Don't these people have anything else to do with their lives, like go outside and massively protest against wearing masks or claim that COVID is make-believe and other nonsense?

I wonder how long it’ll take before this thread gets locked. Seems to be what happens to the majority of TLOU threads. 

I did enjoy everything in the game but the story. Felt like it was very basic and predictable, all except Joel’s death. Gameplay, soundtrack, graphics are all 10/10 but story is only 7ish/10.

GOTY for me was easy Sushi. But it’s nice to see the studio get some recognition for their hard work. Naughty Dog is still masters in telling stories. 

• Like 1

Well deserved. A journey that I will not forget. I know this game won the GOTY but for me the most important award was the Innovation in Accessibility. Something as basic as customizable subtitle fonts should be a standard in every game, among other things.

24 minutes ago, talespagni said:

w9ym1xvh5dd61.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

If not for the huge backlash the game got with every new trailer and then the leaks, The Last of Us Part II could have actually been used as a great example to support this statement. 

It featured a cast more diverse than your standard AAA game, and not only did it sell really well but it set the record for most GOTY awards voted by the audience.

Edited by Abby_TheLastofUs
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, VegaMan-X4 said:

Debatable. The product has to be good to begin with. Which in case of tLoU2 is subjective to say the least.

How many awards Monster Hunter World got, for example (don't know, don't care. Personally speaking)?

My point stands - people in general don't really care about awards (fanboyism aside). And, honestly, I don't know what else there is to add on this matter.

I'm not angry. Just pointing out some pretty obvious flaws with this release (and tLoU2 boxart is undoubtedly among those).

Well, you havent even played it. 

Its fascinating really, how so many people, who havent played the game, can be so obsessed with it. 

I know why, and its hilarious :)

But, most of us, who actually played the game, had a great time with a masterpiece of a story. The haters will never get to feel that way playing a game, that gotta suck so hard for them. 

Just now, Maaden_Swe said:

Well, you havent even played it. 

Its fascinating really, how so many people, who havent played the game, can be so obsessed with it. 

I know why, and its hilarious :)

But, most of us, who actually played the game, had a great time with a masterpiece of a story. The haters will never get to feel that way playing a game, that gotta suck so hard for them. 

Oh, I will not write any more in this thread, so hate away :) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, VegaMan-X4 said:

How many awards Monster Hunter World got, for example (don't know, don't care. Personally speaking)?

My point stands - people in general don't really care about awards (fanboyism aside). And, honestly, I don't know what else there is to add on this matter.

I agree with part of this. I don't think most people care about awards, especially for games. Yes, there has always been an Oscar bump, but that has to be taken in a relative sense. An Oscar for Twelve Years a Slave doesn't suddenly push its ticket sales up to the level of Transformers. I don't think we'll see much in the way of additional sales for TLoU, despite this bevy of awards.

But this also underscores my disagreement with your statement. A product does NOT have to be good to generate sales, and again this is especially true for games. TLoU2 sold a bazillion copies even before people played it. So did CyPunk. People are just easily parted with money.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 5:50 AM, Stan Lee said:

Before this thread gets flooded by incels, I will say that it is a great accomplishment. The reader's choice categories are particularly interesting so it goes to show that those who cried the loudest don't represent how most people who played actually feel, as well as goes against the ridiculous and childish notion that the game was only liked by critics and not actual gamers (with a lower-case "g"). Also pretty funny how those who say "who cares about these awards?" or "these awards mean nothing" are the ones who have the most to say about them, especially when a game they didn't like is in the spotlight. Nothing wrong with not liking a game but a bit of maturity wouldn't go amiss.

[snip] 

I guess I'm lucky that I haven't played any of the 3 games mentioned in the OP (went for some mp TLOU1 trophies on ps3 but haven't played sp.) Now I can experience them all at once. Not much time right now to play with my daughter doing virtual learning for school, but maybe it's finally time I play the Uncharted series and TLOU 1-2.?

That should hold me over till I get a PS5. 

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
Removed off topic discussion
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, starcrunch061 said:

I don't think most people care about awards, especially for games. Yes, there has always been an Oscar bump, but that has to be taken in a relative sense. An Oscar for Twelve Years a Slave doesn't suddenly push its ticket sales up to the level of Transformers. I don't think we'll see much in the way of additional sales for TLoU, despite this bevy of awards.

Awards in the entertainment industry are for pushing up the price tag for those producers/directors/actors on their next works. And gets people talking about their works.

These video game awards winners will be using their awards to do the same thing. And getting people to talk about their works.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

Then why did Ghosts of Tsushima win almost every people’s vote award?

Thta surely must mean Ghost got more votes. 

Uh it didn't lol. Ghost has won 11 reader's choice awards. TLOU2 has 90+. It's not even close. People feel that TLOU2 is the best game of 2020 and I can't disagree with them. It's on another level from something like Ghost of Tsushima.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mercenary09 said:

Uh it didn't lol. Ghost has won 11 reader's choice awards. TLOU2 has 90+. It's not even close. People feel that TLOU2 is the best game of 2020 and I can't disagree with them. It's on another level from something like Ghost of Tsushima.

I know. It’s already been stated a few post before you.