TLOU II is officially the most awarded game of all time (260+ awards)

Lordidude

3 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

"Ah, but by using the name of a group that these individuals identify with and you called out nobody in particular, you yourself are the immature one!"

Sure, if you want to put words in people's mouths. I actually didn't call you immature.

I said you should lead by example when asking others to be more mature and pointed out that starting off your post calling people incels seems petty. You'll likely turn people away from an otherwise good post. 

Thanks for the combative snippy response though.

Btw, I'm happy to hear your love for the FF7 remake. I recently just played through the original and have owned the Deluxe edition of the remake since launch. I may have to bump that to the front of the line. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Joker-Kun890 said:

Thanks for the combative snippy response though.

Btw, I'm happy to hear your love for the FF7 remake. I recently just played through the original and have owned the Deluxe edition of the remake since launch. I may have to bump that to the front of the line. 

I meant no disrespect to you, dude, my bad. I just woke up today and chose violence.

But if my recommendation means anything at all through all this, Remake is a fantastic game, just try to be open about the ending and some of the changes and no doubt you'll love it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

I meant no disrespect to you, dude, my bad. I just woke up today and chose violence.

But if my recommendation means anything at all through all this, Remake is a fantastic game, just try to be open about the ending and some of the changes and no doubt you'll love it.

No problem. My apologies if it seemed like I was targeting you specifically. I only commented because I found the rest of your post helpful. 

RE: FF7R, Im horrible when it comes to spoilers so I have a bit of an idea about some of the changes already. I think I'll definitely play that next. Then onto the Naughty Dog games. Cheers. ?

13 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

I’ve never understood this whole thing anyways.

When I think “GOTY” I tend to think of games that do new things in creative ways or push the envelope of what a video game can be. And yet year after year these linear story driven games that we’ve seen a million times win it all. This is something that has boggled my mind for the better part of a decade now.

Guess I’ll just never understand it at this point.

I also prefer gameplay over walkie-talkie stories. 

But ever since TLOU in 2013 all games tried to emulate that feeling. 

Every game feels the same nowadays but this is simply the time we are in. 

After 2001 and Halo: Combat Evolved every console game was a shooter. That oversaturated trend died with TLOU. 

This will go away in a few years when something else arrives (seems like Battle Royale might be the next biggest trend). 

• Like 2

For starters, who cares about game awards.

That said, people saying it doesn't deserve awards because of crunch, or because they don't like Druckmann's attitude, or whatever... have forgotten a key factor in that.  None of those things really have to do with the end product.  They have to do with how it got there, they have to do with how people responded to it afterwards, but shouldn't really factor into how "good" the game is.  Clouded judgement and all that.  Turn off the internet for a while and judge games on their own merits.

Also, whether I think it's the best game of the year or not, it absolutely deserved accolades.  It's a great game.

I personally got more out of Ghost of Tsushima.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

I'm currently on my second playthrough for the platinum (missed some collectibles). It was already my favourite game of 2020. But this time around I'm appreciating it so much more. Without the tension I had first time around (always expecting an ambush or an infected to leap out at me) I'm getting the chance to really soak in the art and performance which just astoundingly good. It is still thoroughly depressing, but also captivating and ridiculously gorgeous.

56 minutes ago, guy_flies said:

I'm currently on my second playthrough for the platinum (missed some collectibles). It was already my favourite game of 2020. But this time around I'm appreciating it so much more. Without the tension I had first time around (always expecting an ambush or an infected to leap out at me) I'm getting the chance to really soak in the art and performance which just astoundingly good. It is still thoroughly depressing, but also captivating and ridiculously gorgeous.

I'll probably wait and see if it gets a proper PS5 update of some sort, but I've been thinking about a second playthrough ever since I finished it at launch.  Seems like the kinda game that could benefit from it.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sword said:

Congrats for TLOU2 winning a lot of awards. I hope that going into the next generation we can start to see developers aim towards making the accessibility options standard to what we've seen here. 

My only issue with TLOU2 has only ever been the story and certain characters, just because of the way they are portrayed and how the interact with the world around them. There is some questionable decisions and writing choices that make the story sub-par for me and I think they could have done better. After watching a lot of story beats on YouTube and live streams I just decided the game (story wise) was not for me and that's OK.

I will say though that it is unfortunate that there are certain labels that can be thrown my way just because of the fact that I haven't actually "played" the game. Isn't that what reviews, free videos and opinions are for? To discuss and see what you'd like/not like before making a purchase? I just don't understand how actually playing the game will magically change the story and dialogue based on what I've literally seen/heard in videos from the game itself. The game certainly looks beautiful, but I just don't like the story (which seems to be one of the core aspects of the game), so it's a pass for me. You can put all the garnish you want on the dish, but if the main meat just ain't right, I won't bite.

Anyways, I'm glad a lot of people did like it and I think that's pretty cool. Hopefully we can continue to see a lot of awesome games that appeal to all different types of people in the upcoming generation. I think there's room in gaming for all types of people, this game just wasn't one of those games for me.

You're welcome to have an opinion, but can you understand why it doesn't matter in this discussion?

Let me give you an example. I watched "The Hunger Games". I liked the concept but thought the movie was awful. Not for me at all. Rather than see the sequels I read a summary of the books and thought it went in a pretty crap direction. By your logic I should be able to go on some Hunger Games forums discussing awards for the books/movie, and say definitively that the story is terrible. Even though I only have an overview based on someone else's experience. In this example my opinion is neither accurate or helpful and it would be better if I just moved on without trying to ruin it for fans.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Spaz said:

This is why I can't take the gaming industry seriously anymore.

It's just another case of reviewers rewarding a game based on presentation and not substance. Yes, The Last of Us Part II looks great, yes, it has a decent story going for it, yes, the character are believable that you can grow to, but over half of these awards that were handed out for this game were completely and utterly useless.

This just sounds like participation trophies. If a game looks halfway decent to where it doesn't look like a colossal pile of dogshit then it will win an award by some obscure company out there that nobody gives two dicks about.

I think anyone still following these awards need to get a reality check.

You can't take the gaming industry seriously anymore because good games are getting awards for being...good? There's more to these games than just graphics, you just try to discredit them at every turn it seems. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Oh please. If more people opened their eyes there are many games out there worthwhile and worth the money. The Last of Us Part II doesn't deserve that many awards. Most of those awards were just handed out for the hell of it.

It's a shame that AAA games dominate these awards, but most of the blame for that lies with gamers. When a reviewer gives a highly anticipated game a mixed/negative review, or goes against the consensus. It isn't other reviewers that lash out, but gamers. When the Washington Post gave Uncharted 4 a low score or when Gamespot gave GTA V a 9 (too low apparently), gamers were the ones that started petitions and harassed the reviewers. 

I actually don't think I've ever seen an instance of a professional reviewer criticize another professional reviewer for giving a game a "wrong" score. If it has happened, it's way less common than with gamers.

And when it comes to GOTY awards, gamers have much narrower tastes than professional reviewers, almost always voting for AAA games.

2020's second most awarded game was Hades, but it won just three readers' choice awards, placing it behind Ghosts of Tsushima, Cyberpunk 2077, and totally eclipsed by The Last of Us Part II. Really, if The Last of Us Part II hadn't become such a culture war issue and hadn't been released this year, Gamers™ would have gone ballistic over Hades winning as many awards as it did over a something like GOT.

This is the case every year. The breakdown of votes show that tastes of industry professionals while still limited, are way more diverse than the most vocal parts of the online gaming community.

2012 in particular is a great example. The most awarded games that year The Walking Dead, and Journey. Neither were AAA, but still popular with mainstream audiences. Still, when it came to readers' choice, both games won less awards than Mass Effect 3, Far Cry 3, Assassin's Creed 3, and Borderlands 2. 

If gamers had more diverse taste, publications would respond in kind. Either by reviewers feeling less pressure to conform, or with the industry hiring more people whose tastes didn't align with the consensus.

Edited by Abby_TheLastofUs
  • Like 4