Your death count at the Summit ?

dadoudelidou

Unfortunately I don't remember my death count at that point but I do share your sentiments - I adore this game, despite it kicking my ass.

Not sure if you intend to do the B and C sides without assist as well, best of luck if you do. They certainly turn the difficulty up. Chapters 7 and 8 C-sides are hard as nails!

And don't get me started on Chapter 9, I think I had over 4000 deaths on that alone. Even then I'd recommend it. No trophies for doing it, but if you enjoyed the story and want to see what happened after its conclusion (and don't mind putting yourself through a bit of hell), it's worth it I think. Plus the sound and level design is still amazing.

One line I think I'll never cross though, is going for all the golden strawberries. I did a couple of ones for the easier A sides, but I think I know my skill limits better than to try for anything harder.

Edited by MrManiacB
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, MrManiacB said:

Unfortunately I don't remember my death count at that point but I do share your sentiments - I adore this game, despite it kicking my ass.

Not sure if you intend to do the B and C sides without assist as well, best of luck if you do. They certainly turn the difficulty up. Chapters 7 and 8 C-sides are hard as nails!

And don't get me started on Chapter 9, I think I had over 4000 deaths on that alone. Even then I'd recommend it. No trophies for doing it, but if you enjoyed the story and want to see what happened after its conclusion (and don't mind putting yourself through a bit of hell), it's worth it I think. Plus the sound and level design is still amazing.

One line I think I'll never cross though, is going for all the golden strawberries. I did a couple of ones for the easier A sides, but I think I know my skill limits better than to try for anything harder.

Yeah i've done most of the B-Sides and chap 8 non assisted, they were though as nails !  I mixed assited and non assisted for the C-Sides. I like how the game let's you decide of your difficulty on hard spots. Some place i slowed down, or given myself an extra Boost. 

It's one of the few games that even if i just got the plat, i will keep it on my hardrive. I started to do some gold strawberries on A-sides. I'm personnaly finding it more entertaining to get the gold strawberries on the A-Levels than doing the C-Side. I like a good challenge but having to do hundreds of pixel perfect moves in a row is too hard on my nerves.. 

• Like 2

I reached the summit on my first playthrough with approximately 2000 deaths, only 3 cassettes collected though (I think) and about 35-40 strawberries. My death counter is now up around 20,000+ after getting all strawberries, and completing B and C sides lol I dread to think what it'll be on after Chapter 9! 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just beat the Summit with an overall death count of 1499, with 652 of those deaths on The Summit level alone. Gonna take a bit of a break before I tackle the Core and B/C side levels! 

Have yet to use assist mode, but I'll see how much patience I have in the B and C side levels ?

• 1 month later...

I had like 2015 at the end. 250 ish were on the chap 1 B-side by itself. Didn't do any others yet, missing one or two tapes, and got around 150 berries. 4 or 5 hearts. First play with no assist.

As a platformer fan this was definitely my kind of game. I might try the last chapter later, but might skip going for 100%. It sounds like assist is necessary for those areas and I'm probably ready to start my next game.

• Like 1

Fun thread!

Here's how mine looked at the end of the game. 

• Main story up until the end of Summit was without any assist mode-ing. 3530 deaths, 80 strawberries, and time was 12:06:47
    Only found 2-3 tapes, and found 1-2 crystal hearts but didn't know what they were so jumped at them and somehow didn't think to dash at them I guess?
  • Turned on invincibility for strawberry collection but took the time to figure out the paths for strawberries etc 'cause that kind of puzzle solving was fun.
  • B-sides 1-4 was with minimal cheating (turned down the speed a little for a couple rooms etc).
  • The latter B-sides (5+) I turned on invincibility and tried to platform through the levels myself, with some manual resetting to try again / reset falling blocks etc.
    There were a few things I couldn't manage to get like dash-jumping off ledges to get enough height etc, so I skipped over a few things if I felt stuck / like I wasn't making any progress.
  • I also fully cheated through The Core's section with the rising lava because that was making me panic too much to be fun. ^^;
  • As for C-sides: I did the first one legitimately, and couldn't figure out how the second is supposed to be done with just 1 dash - so I nyoomed through the rest. xD

As for Farewell, I cheated through most of that too, as it was post-platinum and I just wanted the story side of it. But reset a few times to try figure out how things should be done with the jellyfish since they didn't respawn otherwise.

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

2056 deaths at the summit

~160 strawberries with most tapes & crystal hearts 

14:27:06 play time (probably includes a couple hours of being AFK)

I started off thinking I’d play every level blind, then do another run immediately for the strawberries, but after Ch. 3 or 4 I realized how much time I was wasting and decided to follow a guide. I chose a text guide on IGN so that I could find all the strawberry locations as I went, but so that I wasn’t actually being shown the solutions and had to figure them out for myself.

Used assist mode to clean up the handful of strawberries I missed & cheese the heck out of Ch. 8. Only 1 B-side done so far (legit) but I will probably lean pretty heavily on assist mode for those final trophies. The infinite dash at least!

Really amazing game though. The platforming in Celeste blew my mind with how clever and well designed it is. The puzzles, tight controls, the music, narrative, the cute gibberish voices… this game was a perfect package. I think I will see if I can order a physical copy.

Also cool to notice that the devs are Canadian and that Celeste mountain is a real mountain on Vancouver Island, B.C. The Google reviews are absolutely hilarious.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

2153 deaths at the summit

collected most of the strawberries and all hearts and tapes except for one or two

really great game with great level design no way i would have done  all B-sides and C-sides legit those require such a big amount of practice/skill really tough

but it is cool you can explore everything without any restrictions by using the assist mode :-) 

• 8 months later...

Got to the summit with 2850 deaths. Got 75 strawberries, 2 crystal hearts, and 2 tapes. Finished PICO-8 in 1 hour and 580 deaths.

I’m doing the rest of the game with assist mode to experience the story’s ending (Core and Farewell) because I was left completely drained. I think I won’t be touching another platformer for a long time.

Edited by steeler192

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure how many deaths I had at the summit because I decided to put the game down for a while and regain motivation to play it for the strawberries.

I just polished off all of the B sides (using assist mode here and there for the 8th B-side because I’m pretty tired of the game) and my grand total is 19,500 deaths

• 3 months later...