Microtransactions Lock Story Challenges Behind Paywall, No Way Play Them In-Game At Launch For Free

Ghost

Just seen this article from PSU:

We have just got our first look at Destruction AllStars on PS5 in a new State of Play showcase and Lucid Games has revealed how the microtransactions in the game will work. And, to put it nicely, they don’t seem particularly user friendly.

Cosmetics in the game can be bought with two currencies. AllStar Points are earned in-game by playing online. However, Destruction Points can only be purchased through the PlayStation Store with real-world money. Most cosmetics can be bought with either currency; however, some like the rarest colors and skins are locked behind Destruction Points.

This means that for some cosmetics you will only be able to get them with real-world money. However, the most problematic part of this is that the Challenge Series Events in-game can only be redeemed with Destruction Points. These events are trials and challenges, with story backstory to each of the AllStars you can take control of. Some of these events are the modes from the online mode and some are new and unique to this mode. This will then conclude with a showdown against your rival, complete with cutscenes.

This seems to be the main issue with how Destruction Points are dolled out and it certainly seems like a problematic way of dealing with microtransactions. Lucid Games do highlight that you will be able to earn Destruction Points in-game later this year but gives no time frame on that. It also isn’t clear if the Challenge Series events will rotate and leave the game at various points.

It was pretty much a given that they would add MT after announcing it would come to PS Plus. Lets see what's it about when it releases next week.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Valkirye22 said:

To me it looks like the broadest, most generic, forcefully colorful and 'diverse' but grey-gooey game I've seen so far.

A dab of everything currently popular from Fortnite, Rocket League, Overwatch etc. and mixed together to have the broadest possible appeal without any uniqueness whatsoever.

I predict a great future for this game in terms of playerbase and MTX monetization.

Not from me tho.

I think that is a perfect description.

I looks like a game made by an algorithm.

A camel if you will - a horse built by committee. It seems like the videogame equivalent of Poochy from that Simpsons episode.

I can almost smell the creative bankruptcy.

Which of course, means you are right. It will probably sell gangbusters to a certain audience.

What I should have said was “Is anyone on this forum seriously going to play it?”

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, WhoElseBut-Matty said:

they want another success story like rocket league with this game and you can already tell it's just gonna fail and fall back on them 

Rocket League did that by being absolutely, once-in-a-blue-moon incredible. Chasing that type of flash in the pan success is like trying to catch lightning in a bottle - and from the looks of the videos, this is a pretty ropey bottle to begin with.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Does it really matter?

I mean... look at the game... is anyone seriously going to play it?

Depends on the gameplay, but I do like the concept. I've actually been interested since it was first unveiled - the mix of ground and vehicle combat is a cool concept. Shitty MTX practices may chase me away though.

43 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Blah blah blah blah.

Someone's triggered ?

Firstly get off your high horse before you hurt yourself. Secondly calm the fuck down ?

What I meant was you seem to play pretty much everything. You've some great games but also bad. You've given so many games a chance and yet this one you're shooting down before even trying it.

Will I play it? I'll give it a try and then probably never touch it again like fall guys and the two games we got recently. It might turn out to be amazing and then it'll be a nice surprise ?

• Like 2

I have no clue if I’ll like this, but maybe playing a game before shitting on it is a good idea? The game’s wiki says some of the people behind this also worked on the Wipeout games, so it’s not like there’s zero pedigree here.

More to the point of the article OP linked, nobody can seriously expect the entire game to be available for free — just not how any F2P game works, and to expect otherwise is foolish. We’ll have to wait and see how vital these things are and how much they cost, though. Hopefully they aren’t crucial — a free plat would be nice.

Edited by JD-D2
  • Like 3

I wouldn’t mind if unlocking single player mode is like $10, much much better than the ludicrous initial $70 before being delayed. Think of it, you’d get the full game for dirty cheap while devs get some revenue, a sort of win-win situation. Don’t get me wrong, I despise microtransactions as much as many people do, but if it’s the initial way to get the platinum, sure why not? A $10 is a $10 no matter the way you pay, DLC pack or MTX.

However, the fact that daily and weekly challenges to earn some of this premium currency are planned later this year is bothering me, because I’d want to get these coins from the start while playing online to unlock this single player mode over time.

Edited by MaxieM0us3
  • Like 1