Microtransactions Lock Story Challenges Behind Paywall, No Way Play Them In-Game At Launch For Free

Ghost

13 minutes ago, Erkawest said:

Seems decent enough for a platinum run, hopefully MTX won't lock any trophies or the progress... Would be a real Ahole move

I don’t want to break your bubble, but there are single player mode trophies, and as revealed, the mode is locked behind paywall, so yeah it’s pretty real.

Keywords being "AT LAUNCH", they've stated they will add a way to earn Destruction Points later on. Plenty of games have unobtainable plats at launch, and if you don't wanna waste real money, this'll just be another one of those. Yeah, it sucks. But not 100% locked out, which is probably why Sony didn't enforce the rule because it won't stay like that. 

On 1/28/2021 at 5:28 AM, Lord_Bane999 said:

Isn't this gonna be a full price game too? If when it's released and the game is found to need mtx to unlock the base game trophies. Couldn't Sony step in and force then to not to?

Btw the game will be up for two months as well for free but wasn't that only technically a full game trial I thought?

$69.99, or "free" with PS+.

Edited by ImAPirateSoSueMe

On 1/27/2021 at 6:31 PM, talespagni said:

"Lucid Games do highlight that you will be able to earn Destruction Points in-game later this year but gives no time frame on that."

LOL.

Of course there is no time frame. Poor guys, they don't even have an idea of what they are going to do in 3, 6 or 10 months from now.

Who would believe in this corporate linguo-induced narrative we've seen hundreds of times before?

They will try to cash in a big way in the window release of the game.

It's all in their business plan, road map and strategy.

Boycott this crap.

You'd have a point if they didn't openly state that DP will be earnable later and not just limited to online purchases.

For those of us with PS+ already, what exactly is there to boycott? We already paid for the service and that includes the PS+ games.

Outside of what I spent on PS+ they are getting 0 from me for this game already.

They have a business plan and road map that involves earning money. Why would I boycott that without knowing anything beyond that? Earning money is what a business plan is for.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 4:28 PM, JD-D2 said:

I have no clue if I’ll like this, but maybe playing a game before shitting on it is a good idea? The game’s wiki says some of the people behind this also worked on the Wipeout games, so it’s not like there’s zero pedigree here.

More to the point of the article OP linked, nobody can seriously expect the entire game to be available for free — just not how any F2P game works, and to expect otherwise is foolish. We’ll have to wait and see how vital these things are and how much they cost, though. Hopefully they aren’t crucial — a free plat would be nice.

only this game isnt f2p. its a $70 game that will be available through ps+ for 2 months. come april its a regular retail game.

It's a good thing I really don't care for trophies as much as some people. Yes, earning them is fun and challenging. But I've been interested in this game since it was announced. One of the few games i would first buy with a PS5. Looks really fun. Can't wait to play this. 

Microtransactions won't steer me away from playing this with my friends and coworkers. I just want to have fun and this looks like the kind of game we will have lots of fun with. 

On 1/28/2021 at 1:44 AM, MaxieM0us3 said:

I don’t want to break your bubble, but there are single player mode trophies, and as revealed, the mode is locked behind paywall, so yeah it’s pretty real.

They removed most of single player trophies and left only one for finishing objectives in only one challenge series so that one is likely unlocked from the start with the others removed taking into account this change.  Realistically in a multiplayer focused game the single player was going to be an awful bore fest of bot battles so good riddance to the trophy having to finish all objectives across every character.

• Like 1

On 29/01/2021 at 5:48 PM, TJ_Solo said:

They have a business plan and road map that involves earning money. Why would I boycott that without knowing anything beyond that? Earning money is what a business plan is for.

I’d imagine drug dealers and child sex-traffickers have a business plan of sorts too.

Pyramid schemes and Ponzi schemes are a form of business plan.

Televangelists, online fraudsters, Short-Betters, bank robbers, email phishers and those folks who swindle old ladies door-to-door are all operating on a business plan.

Earning money is what they are for too.

That doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be pointed out as sleazy or fraudulent or shady.

A £70 entry point for what on the face of it looks like a niche title is too much & I don't see it staying that price for very long. But given there's over 40 million PS Plus subscribers and anyone can claim it I'm not surprised they've added micro-transactions, though it's disappointing they've locked content behind a pay-wall rather than cosmetics.

I'm excited to give it a try anyway and see what all the fuss is about, Fall Guys, Apex Legends & Rocket League were all blast to play at launch. And aside from Sackboy & Darks Souls 3 co-op I've not played any multiplayer games on my PS5 yet.  Who knows maybe I might finally give someone an 'Accolade' ?.

Edited by EIdain

On 2021-01-30 at 5:50 PM, Hayabusa85 said:

They removed most of single player trophies and left only one for finishing objectives in only one challenge series so that one is likely unlocked from the start with the others removed taking into account this change.  Realistically in a multiplayer focused game the single player was going to be an awful bore fest of bot battles so good riddance to the trophy having to finish all objectives across every character.

I saw that as the new and definitive trophy list came out.