Lars

How do ps4 games run on ps5

35 posts in this topic

Hello all,

 

My ps4 broke down and i'm looking to buy a replacement. As restocks aren't happening in europe the ps4 is as expensive as the disk version from the ps5.

 

Therefore i'm considering to buy a ps5. But that would be to play mainly my ps4 backlog. How do the ps4 games run on the ps5? Are all ingame features present, can i unlock trophies and does online and save transfer from ps plus work? 

 

Thanks in advance for your answers!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been playing PS4 games on my PS5 for a while now and I have no regrets so far. Most games run smoothly without frame drops, and if they have unlocked frame rates you will get a stable 60 fps. The loading times are good, for example, Hitman 2 takes me around 10 seconds to start a new level from scratch and around 5 seconds to load an old save file, Death Stranding used to take me 1 to 2 minutes to load on my PS4 and on the PS5 it takes me around 30 seconds to start playing.

 

So far it's pretty good, I have no complains about trophies too, everything unlocked to me just fine.

 

On a side note, the system crashed on me once while playing Killing Floor 2, I think it was an OS crash since the system turned itself off. It never happened again.

Edited by maiathewinners
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Digital Foundry covered many PS4 titles and how they run on the PS5. Without any patches you always get 60fps and some sort of 4K (checkerboard or native). Impressive stuff, really.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's great, you won't even notice you got a PS5 with how well the backwards compatibility works. I've played all kinds of games recently, (you can see my recent completions) and everything has worked seamlessly. I just 100% Contrast a while back, which was one of the first games released on the PS4 and it worked perfectly. The only game that gave me trouble recently was Planet of the Apes: Lost Frontier, which crashed on me at least once every 4 hours. I've had two hard crashes ever since I got my PS5 with Cold War, but it hasn't crashed since December. I also recently played through all of Saints Row The Third Remastered with my brother and had no issues. Overall, because of it's great backwards compatibility, it's a no brainer. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They run fine and, more often than not, better than on the PS4.

 

Trophies pop just fine, and all the online stuff is present. Go for it!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you play online with ps4 people if you're playing on PS5? I am more interested than ever now

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, cxool123 said:

Can you play online with ps4 people if you're playing on PS5? I am more interested than ever now

Yes you can

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, cxool123 said:

Can you play online with ps4 people if you're playing on PS5? I am more interested than ever now

Been gaming with friends with no issues on fortnite,overwatch destiny,rogue company going to try borderlands 2 soon! Ive also had no issues with playing my backlog so far and its so much quieter and faster then my ps4 which means less headaches form the loudness of the fans 😅

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, thank you all very much for your feedback, i'm really considering getting a ps5 now! Once a restock comes, in 2022 maybe

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the most part, my games are running better and loading faster on the PS5. Ghost Recon Wildlands and Saint's' Row 4 crashed the system as soon as I launched them. Both times it was so bad the system didn't recover until I physically unplugged the ps5 to force the reboot. However, I've played probably 20 other titles as well near flawlessly. The exception is The Surge. You have to turn down the lens flare effect or you'll get a weird visual glitch.

 

As a side note, Days Gone isn't recognizing the past save file where I got the platinum on PS4, so it looks like I'd need to start that over to do the other trophies. However, I've been reading up and it sounds like that may because I used a disc version before and then downloaded it digitally due to it being PS plus. It's rare that digital vs disc makes a difference, but I haven't reinstalled Days Gone from the disc to confirm the save will work on PS5 or continue to be ignored. 

Edited by Spacey Dweeb
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Spacey Dweeb said:

For the most part, my games are running better and loading faster on the PS5. Ghost Recon Wildlands and Saint's' Row 4 crashed the system as soon as I launched them. Both times it was so bad the system didn't recover until I physically unplugged the ps5 to force the reboot. However, I've played probably 20 other titles as well near flawlessly. The exception is The Surge. You have to turn down the lens flare effect or you'll get a weird visual glitch.

 

As a side note, Days Gone isn't recognizing the past save file where I got the platinum on PS4, so it looks like I'd need to start that over to do the other trophies. However, I've been reading up and it sounds like that may because I used a disc version before and then downloaded it digitally due to it being PS plus. It's rare that digital vs disc makes a difference, but I haven't reinstalled Days Gone from the disc to confirm the save will work on PS5 or continue to be ignored. 


Started Days Gone yesterday to do all the missing stuff I haven’t done one the PS4, runs amazing on 60 FPS and 4K. Also I had no trouble with my save files, but I never bought the Disc, only digital.

Edited by xIRockyRock
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lars said:

Guys, thank you all very much for your feedback, i'm really considering getting a ps5 now! Once a restock comes, in 2022 maybe

 Haha yeah I’ve been trying to get one I Sweden for a long time now.  I’ve contacted the websites selling them to see if they know when they get more stock, none of them have any idea when they might get new stock. Some think sometime this summer but all those PS5 are booked already. If I’m lucky I might get one by the end of the year. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

Digital Foundry covered many PS4 titles and how they run on the PS5. Without any patches you always get 60fps and some sort of 4K (checkerboard or native). Impressive stuff, really.

That is not true in the slightest. Some games are hard coded to not run above 30FPS. Maybe PS6 will have a mode that can force games to run above their hard coded caps but PS5 doesn't.

Same thing for resolution especially when you're running at higher FPS for some games. If you choose the performance mode some games won't allow you to go above 1080.

 

More info about game performance limitations or issues here:

PS4 BC Games w/ Issues on PS5 - PlayStation 5 - PSNProfiles

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ps5 is the way forward for sure. but if you need a console right now then get a 2nd hand pro and just sell it when ps5s are readily availiable.

 

all games load quickly on ps5, all games have an hdr upgrade providing your tv supports that, and whilst maybe 5% of ps4 games you play on it might crash allot (everything is still quicker due to ps5s ssd all crashes and reboots time included.) only like 2% of ps4 games will be completely broken and probably nothing you'd care to play that much anyway.

 

there is a list if you google ps4 games with problems on ps5 there's a list but most of those games seem fairly missable or already done.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife likes the fact that the PS5 doesn't sound like an jet taking off. I also like this.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mcnichoj said:

That is not true in the slightest. Some games are hard coded to not run above 30FPS. Maybe PS6 will have a mode that can force games to run above their hard coded caps but PS5 doesn't.

Same thing for resolution especially when you're running at higher FPS for some games. If you choose the performance mode some games won't allow you to go above 1080.

 

More info about game performance limitations or issues here:

PS4 BC Games w/ Issues on PS5 - PlayStation 5 - PSNProfiles

 

Sorry I didn't meant 60fps and 4K at the same time and I also meant the big titles and not games like Octodad or Farming Simulator. And yes, some games are hardcoded at that rate. But many games that were capable of going over 30 on the PS4 (Pro) you can expect to go up to 60fps like The Last Guardian, Ghost of Tsushima and such. Except Bloodborne of course :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only played the PS5 with my backlog of PS4 games with the odd exception. All games I have played in backwards mode run better than they did on the pro, If a game is capped at 30frames the PS5 will only play it at 30frames, however you will never get dips in framerate, unless in some cases the game was coded that way (I believe in 1 of the assassins creed games theres a certain area thats capped at 25 frames for whatever reason, this doesnt change).

 

There are however some issues and I think this is due to the PS5 not having anti-aliasing or lack of which in some games causes them to suffer from screen tearing and white light coming through the seams of textures. I dont know if this is to do with the lack of anti-aliasing but when I tested the same game on the PS5 and on the PS4 pro it wasnt happening on the PS4 pro. It doesnt happen all the time but it does happen enough to notice it. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I've only had issues with cyberpunk crashing if I drive too fast. Other than that the load times are amazing. Idk if anyone here plays xcom 2 but daaaaamn is it nice not waiting 2 mins to reload a move. 

 

Edit: oh, be careful with an external hdd if you are pulling your ps4 one. The copy method on a 200mb update took 5 hours and I didn't notice a load difference.  The best bet for more storage is wait til Sony releases that extra ssd slot.

Edited by RoxasOnFire
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Lars said:

Hello all,

 

My ps4 broke down and i'm looking to buy a replacement. As restocks aren't happening in europe the ps4 is as expensive as the disk version from the ps5.

 

Therefore i'm considering to buy a ps5. But that would be to play mainly my ps4 backlog. How do the ps4 games run on the ps5? Are all ingame features present, can i unlock trophies and does online and save transfer from ps plus work? 

 

Thanks in advance for your answers!

so i just wanted to say that a ps4 is really affordable at the moment, and i also live in the netherlands so there's not a difference in that part, but you can get a ps4 for sometimes les than 200 euro so it is a lot cheaper than a ps5 and is actually in stock lol. still don't recommend buying a ps4 but it's not as expensive as a ps5

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, RoxasOnFire said:

The copy method on a 200mb update took 5 hours and I didn't notice a load difference.  The best bet for more storage is wait til Sony releases that extra ssd slot.

 

Weird that you experienced that, I'm running games from a portable HDD and I havent noticed anything take that long to install. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jelkeh11 said:

so i just wanted to say that a ps4 is really affordable at the moment, and i also live in the netherlands so there's not a difference in that part, but you can get a ps4 for sometimes les than 200 euro so it is a lot cheaper than a ps5 and is actually in stock lol. still don't recommend buying a ps4 but it's not as expensive as a ps5

Hello, may i ask you where you bought it? I looked at all the big retailers like bol, media markt. They were all out of stock or very expensive, sidenote is that i want a new one

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Silocia said:

 

Weird that you experienced that, I'm running games from a portable HDD and I havent noticed anything take that long to install. 

It doesn't happen to every game just random ones. I just put the external back on my ps4 pro since I didn't really notice significant load times with it anyways. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RoxasOnFire said:

It doesn't happen to every game just random ones. I just put the external back on my ps4 pro since I didn't really notice significant load times with it anyways. 

There are no load time benefits to playing them off the portable HDD only a portable SSD even when plugged into the back. I tested it with Monster Hunter world and it was about the same. I use the HDD for smaller games im working on and install big games to the PS5 internal SSD.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, cxool123 said:

Can you play online with ps4 people if you're playing on PS5? I am more interested than ever now

 

Me and a friend played all of Dead Island: Definitive Edition in Co op with me on PS5 and he was on PS4 and we didn't have any issues. It crashed on me once but it played and ran fine. I have also played the Crew 2 with some people on PS4.

21 hours ago, Spacey Dweeb said:

For the most part, my games are running better and loading faster on the PS5. Ghost Recon Wildlands and Saint's' Row 4 crashed the system as soon as I launched them. Both times it was so bad the system didn't recover until I physically unplugged the ps5 to force the reboot. However, I've played probably 20 other titles as well near flawlessly. The exception is The Surge. You have to turn down the lens flare effect or you'll get a weird visual glitch.

 

As a side note, Days Gone isn't recognizing the past save file where I got the platinum on PS4, so it looks like I'd need to start that over to do the other trophies. However, I've been reading up and it sounds like that may because I used a disc version before and then downloaded it digitally due to it being PS plus. It's rare that digital vs disc makes a difference, but I haven't reinstalled Days Gone from the disc to confirm the save will work on PS5 or continue to be ignored. 

 

I played Days Gone on disc and have got the plat but sold it and when it was made available in the plus collection I downloaded it and had no problem with saves. Must be a rare occasion that this happens.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.