Might stop playing video games - your opinion?

xIRockyRock

Hi there,

i‘m a 30 year old human being, playing video games for more than two decades now on all various platforms available. I am really enjoy playing video games. To be honest, I sometimes enjoy it so much, it’s no more near healthy.

But a few month ago, everything changed for me... I started games, played 4-5 hours and realized how broken, unfinished or even unplayable the games actually are nowadays. 
I don’t want to blame a specific studio here. I just feel like Devs/Pubs are just trying to make most money out of games and they don’t even care about their Players anymore.

Yes, we all want to make money, make as much money as we possible can, but this became unacceptable.

The marketing for many games doesn’t even match reality nowadays. Not even shown Gameplay, match the reality. How is this possible?
In my country, selling something completely different from what it was promised, is highly illegal, but it seems these devs get away with everything.

Am I too old for video games? Is it just a Covid depression? Am I over reacting?

I don’t know... but i know, it’s not fun playing completely broken games.

Just wanted to make this point here.

What’s your opinion? 

• Like 3

Taking a break could be a constructive and healthy next step, if nothing else.

I hate that games are shipping as broken as ever. I hate that Sony is constantly shoving their mostly unimpressive deals in my face but can't give me a working store on the PS4 console. I hate that buying my next console feels partially driven by what's going to annoy me the least when it used to be all about the cool games/features.

I don't think you're totally over reacting or too old for games. You could be depressed from COVID isolation etc. but I know that's not the only issue. I've just recently started gaming quite a lot again after largely taking a break for a good chunk of 2019-2020 and I'm enjoying it but that doesn't mean there isn't a lot to be upset about. These guys want $70 (in the US) per title now? Gtfoh haha

New games doesn't mean much to me anymore. My ceiling per title is $30-40 unless a games looks absolutely amazing. It's been at least a year since I paid full price for a game but that's just me.

Edited by kindajustin
  • Like 2

There's no such thing as being too old for video games, or any hobby.

It does sound like it could be depression to me, if you've suddenly stopped enjoying one of your favourite hobbies.

I haven't noticed more games than usual releasing in broken states, and even if they were, there are thousands of games already available that aren't broken. If this feeling that recent games are broken is bothering you, maybe you could hold off on playing the newer games and just focus on ones that were released and patched a while ago. Though I don't agree with you that that's the case, so there may be something more to it than that.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies so far. 
I feel like you are right. 
I try to limit my play time now, and just play games 1-2 hours a day I really enjoy.

Taking a break of competing in online trophy leaderboards, always play through new games as fast as possible and everything else stupid trophy hunters are doing sometimes.

Hopefully I will find my way back, because hunting trophies with all of you guys defined the last 6 years of my life.

Cant wait for the backlog when I return ?

• Like 4

Gaming is about having fun. If it is no longer fun then it's time to take a break. You can always come back. 

I completely understand where you are coming from. I felt the exact same way with AC: Valhalla. That was supposed to be a AAA game. It played worse then most of my low budget games. Filled with endless glitches, bugs, and crashes. So bad that I gave up on the game and wont bother with it until it is fixed. 

• Like 2

If you are finding it hard to find the fun yourself (been there on occasion myself) You might try finding a game where you can get enjoyment from creating content for a friend to play - say a Little Big Planet level, or a Dream in dreams, or maybe some Mario levels in Mario Maker?

Personally, if i’m looking for a little bit of a different kind of enjoyment for a while, my go-to is making a few custom contracts on Hitman, and sending the codes to a mate of mine. Takes the satisfaction off the screen, and into the real world for a bit!

just a thought 

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

I honestly feel the same way, I am just 18 turning 19 next month, I started doing other things lately like rapping and honestly I am enjoying that way more than gaming so I’m not sure... I’m planning to take a big break this year anyway, I think what you are feeling is normal, just take a break enjoy life... and trust me one day you will miss gaming and come back to it.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't think you need to jump to any absolutes, sell your console, and give up on gaming completely. Seems a bit of an overkill, no?

Maybe it's best to take a break or buy and play something that is completely new or different to you. I did that with games like Catherine, Resident Evil 7 (VR), Stein's Gate, Disgaea, Bloodborne, Hotline miami, and Metal gear series, and it made me remember why I love video games so much. It felt like something new I never experienced and brought back that sense of awe and excitement I had as a kid. Sometimes, that's all you're missing.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, xIRockyRock said:

realized how broken, unfinished or even unplayable the games actually are nowadays. 
I don’t want to blame a specific studio here. I just feel like Devs/Pubs are just trying to make most money out of games and they don’t even care about their Players anymore.

If you want to put some numbers to your feelings, you’ve got over 500 titles on your profile here. I think if you went through what you’ve played, you might see a very small percentage of those apply to your description and there are a lot more that don’t. 

But I would also say listen to your instincts. You don’t need to have a villain to cut back on playing video games. You can just cut back and see how it goes. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

If you want to put some numbers to your feelings, you’ve got over 500 titles on your profile here. I think if you went through what you’ve played, you might see a very small percentage of those apply to your description and there are a lot more that don’t. 

But I would also say listen to your instincts. You don’t need to have a villain to cut back on playing video games. You can just cut back and see how it goes. 

I know this isn't about me but I did share OP's opinion here and wanted to say I agree that the majority of games are perfectly serviceable if not a ton a fun to many people. For the same reasons that one bad experience can be more memorable than 10 good ones, the broken/buggy games just stick out and social media helps us see them now more than ever.

But yes, simply stepping away for a bit really worked wonders for me personally. I haven't had this much fun in years. 

• Like 1

The only thing I can say is that you aren't too old for video games.  There are definitely people on this site who play games and are older than you, some even old enough to have been playing games since before you were born.  So that part is definitely not true.  It may be possible that you aren't actually enjoying games as much as you say you are or the feeling of getting too old is coming from a lack of enjoyment.  In the beginning of your post you say you really enjoy it, but a lot of the rest seems to indicate that you don't.  A good first step may be to get a good idea of if you really do enjoy gaming or not and maybe a few months away from it may help you to figure that out.

If you do find that you definitely enjoy gaming and want to continue then it may be a good idea to avoid games made by those studios that disappoint.  Or at least hold off for a few months to a year for the games to go on sale, get patched and have plenty of reviews and maybe even a GOTY release that includes DLCs.  I know that it is a lot easier to be pleased with a game bought for a lower price than one at full price.  I know I personally won't buy many games from devs and publishers I'm not familiar with at release and i definitely have a shit list of devs I avoid or only buy their games at steep discounts.  To me getting a game at release is reserved for the devs I trust to deliver me a solid product that is worth full price.  I honestly found I enjoyed gaming a lot more when I started playing more obscure games that I didn't know much about besides their genre.  I play games with few expectations going in and try to avoid marketing material.  It's true I've ended up with some duds, but those are far fewer than the times I've been told I should play some popular game because it's really amazing and was disappointed.

• Like 1

TL;DR - Sometimes expectations are the reason why we feel such disappointment because in a time when quality does not matter (at least in AAA titles), it is better to look for games that you like and can enjoy them at your pace without matter what others do with the same. Obviously, I cannot comment much on it because it is a personal issue and more on the subject can be approached by various points of view, especially in a forum where there are many people with an avidity to play much higher than me.

One of the things that I have noticed in the little time I have been on the site is the number of people that can support playing 16 hours a day or more, daily, different games, jumping one by one, getting trophies and other types of recognitions within of the games. I have even looked for a way to explain to myself how people completely dedicated to trophy hunting can afford to use another platform and do the same, without neglecting any. That's incredible; I could not bear such a lifestyle, nor could I play no matter what I am playing. I take my time. If it takes 5 months to finish a game that many take 6 days, so be it. It gives me time to savor it, to let myself fantasize between breaks and the daily routine.

Now, I fully understand your disappointment. Unfortunately, if you have huge expectations about a game, these are immediately diluted as soon as you start playing them. I think it is better for you to keep a rather skeptical perspective, where if the game is good you will like it, but if not, what difference does it make. Also, it has happened to me that playing an acclaimed title turns out to be cumbersome, and I don't even like it at all. Sure, it can be due to various factors, such as the fact the current quality and the effort to create a memorable rune experience takes a back seat and other factors weren't a matter to be concerned in first place. And I think that the industry in general is to blame, in part for this situation, since more and more games come out every day, and the quality of each one of them, let's not even talk.

Previous internet mysticism also plays a huge role in what you mention (which I can tell, you remember well). In the 2000s, before the HQ era of YouTube or the user conglomeration, the only media that existed were either magazines that were more or less abundant or television programs that moderately explained a game or that minimally did it justice. So, the only way to know if it was true or not, was to play. Now, you can basically put a video on YT that lasts 8 hours with the game 100% complete ... the day after it was released. There was a harmony between the expectations, the quality of the game and your experience with it.

The pressure to make money is obviously a key factor here. In the face of so much competition, it is necessary to stay afloat whatever. Risking losing quality, easier entry of money. This for me was more than evidenced by the release of Pokémon Sword and Shield. The marketing strategy, in which the producers, the designers and especially the advertising designers was brutal. They knew what the players wanted; They knew what fans of years were waiting for. But they were given a piggyback, as we say in my country. And guess what? The community ended up splitting; there were the veterans who didn't give a damn for what they had done and the others, who even being new to the franchise were deeply disappointed. It was a counterintuitive event.

Edited by Xenoblast91
  • Like 2

Your hobby, your choice.  But please be slow to embrace blunt condemnations like "Devs/Pubs are just trying to make most money out of games and they don’t even care about their Players anymore".  Do you really, really believe that?  Couldn't you feel the passion that Asobo poured into "A Plague Tale: Innocence"?  I thought "NieR: Automata" was expertly crafted, containing much more than the minimum needed just to profit.  Criticism can be valid, but do not overlook the corrosive effects of unchecked pessimism.

• Like 1

Gaming is a hobby for most people and meant to be something you enjoy, so if you no longer enjoy it then there is nothing wrong with giving up and finding something else to do. I don't think it's fair to blame the developers though, as they change with time as does the gaming audience, so it's always going to be changing for the better or worse. Personally, I have been gaming since the year 2001 and am pretty satisfied with how games have developed and improved since then. The only thing that bugs me is micro transactions and I never participate in online gaming. 

• Like 1

If you feel the need to take a break from video games then you should simply listen to your feelings. Remember that this is a hobby, it shouldn't take over your life and have you chained to it, this only has a negative impact on your well-being in the long run. I personally stopped playing from 2014 until november 2019 and had even sold my PS4 in 2015 which I barely played and was gathering dust. I had lost interest in video games and felt the need to focus on other aspects of my life. I found several other hobbies and eventually decided to introduce gaming again. Don't view this potential break as some dramatic life-changing moment, it will only make you more hesitant and anxious. Remember that you can always come back to it and you will probably not be so dissatisfied with the quality of games anymore.

• Like 1

i get where youre coming from. im 37 and have hit more than my fair share of brick walls like this. if its games coming out that aren't finished or feel broken, try something that came out years ago that you never got around to. or as suggested by several above. take a breather. i've taken extended breaks several times. it really does help you clear your head and appriciate the games even more when you do finally come back. also this should be a given. never never preorder anything. wait until whatever game you want is out at minimum a month. long time i know but that way if it does come out all screwy and needs some touching up that gives them time to fix it. or to "fix it".  if its still booty after a month. i skip it entirely. thats how i thankfully missed out on anthem, marvels avengers, battlefield 5, battlefront 2 (til they fixed it up a bit), and most recently cyberpunk 2077.  hope this and the other comments help ya figure out what ya wanna do. 

• Like 1

I find it amusing that people here are listing their ages.

Here's some advice, stop caring what others think. You'll thank me later.

At 30 years old, you should of already hit the stage where you shouldn't be concerned with what others are doing. Take a break if necessary, take your time with the games you enjoy, stop playing the games you don't like, and move forward.

I've been there before.... many times in fact. You just have to know when to pick yourself up again. Life is too short to keep track of every other person who may or may not share the same feelings as you.

• Like 2

I see it as a mixture of things.

For one, you're getting older and as you get older, the things you enjoy and how you enjoy them change. There's no issue at all in taking some time away from a hobby you're feeling less enthused about and trying new things. Maybe try some long term mobile games in your down time, something you can more or less just look at for a few minutes.

Then there's the fact that you're here, among achievement hunters. By it's nature, achievement hunting encourages clearing a game as fast as possible, get those achievements, then move on. This can wear a person down after a while. Again, no harm in stepping away for a while.

Finally there is the hipster-ish mentality you'll develop if you've been playing games like these long enough. Eventually everything just becomes another execution of the same tricks you've seen hundreds of times. You stop appreciating the game for being a game, and just see a pile of parts to pick at. This can turn to AVGN levels of anger real quick.

• Like 1

Taking a break from games can't hurt. Could it be a C19 related depression? Possibly. C19 could be bothering you more than you think, making you lose interest in things. Also, don't worry about how fast you get all the trophies. Take your time if you feel a need to do so.

Not that some developers and publishers are helping matters. Some seem to not care about the customer like they should. I can think of a couple flagrant ones right now... EA and 2K. Their sports games laden with microtransactions/loot boxes are all a no for me. I bet they'd change their minds if enough customers turned their backs. And always online DRM for single player? That's one thing that didn't need to make it over to console. Also, I think too many developers say "Release it now, even if it's in an early access state... we'll just patch those bugs out later" if a game is broken. Before PS3, you couldn't do post-release patches. You had to get it right from the start.

One case of a game that gave me grief at launch was XIII. I love the original version on PC, so you can guess how much I looked forward to this. When the remake came out, there were a lot of things wrong with it. The performance on PS4 was terrible in a lot of places. Sometimes models would glitch out. And it would crash often. At least PlayMagic had been firing away with post-launch patches, but the game should've probably been released a month or two later.