Not So Bad trophy in 2021

Flubberwunked

After September 2020 this trophy is now much harder to obtain thanks to the unnecessary update. "Nightmare behaviour has been fully restored to the original 1993 release by making enemies move twice as fast." From what I've heard this isn't the only change that's been made as you now have a reduced ammo capacity and enemy attack speed is also doubled too.

With all this information I highly doubt this game is still an 8/10 like the guide says which sucks because I'm afraid I might not be able to plat it. I'm looking for a challenging game, not an impossible one. I can't find any videos online of somebody doing a Nightmare Co-op run that isn't past September.

Is this game still possible to plat with a lot of luck and planning? I do have a twin brother who can help me from time to time and I know Share Play is a possibility too so I know there's still hope. I would love to hear what you guys have to say!

• Like 1

I would still argue that the difficulty of the game is more or less unchanged. The main cause of difficulty with nightmare is that a lot of the enemies have a habit of getting in your way, cornering you and killing you. This basically encourages you to research the levels beforehand and run through the levels as quickly as you possibly can as since the enemies also infinitely respawn, the level will become harder to beat the more time you spend in it. I feel the things that you've mentioned; the speed and attack of the enemies and your ammo capacity doesn't really make a big impact in the first game, since a lot of the levels are generally designed to be very short or are very open, so none of the changes will really affect the difficulty if you know exactly where to go and since you have infinite lives in co-op you can just continue to grind it out until you clear the stages.

Doom 2 on the other hand, that's an entirely different thing. The levels are much larger and a lot harder to get through, so that game is definitely harder to beat on nightmare now.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, SlimSanta94 said:

I would still argue that the difficulty of the game is more or less unchanged. The main cause of difficulty with nightmare is that a lot of the enemies have a habit of getting in your way, cornering you and killing you. This basically encourages you to research the levels beforehand and run through the levels as quickly as you possibly can as since the enemies also infinitely respawn, the level will become harder to beat the more time you spend in it. I feel the things that you've mentioned; the speed and attack of the enemies and your ammo capacity doesn't really make a big impact in the first game, since a lot of the levels are generally designed to be very short or are very open, so none of the changes will really affect the difficulty if you know exactly where to go and since you have infinite lives in co-op you can just continue to grind it out until you clear the stages.

Doom 2 on the other hand, that's an entirely different thing. The levels are much larger and a lot harder to get through, so that game is definitely harder to beat on nightmare now.

The attack speed would still be a problem though. Let's just say you have to quickly run past a hallway with a few shotgunners or pinkies, their attack speed will make it more likely that you'll take a ton of damage which will obviously make the speedrun of each level much more luck based and tricker because you may die and that gives the already dead enemies more time to come back again making your second or third trips down the same path just as hard as they first were. I haven't played the game yet but so don't take what I said too seriously.

I heard one guy say that the first Chapter is actually the biggest roadblock and that the second and third chapters aren't too bad compared to those levels. Is this true or not?

Yeah I've heard too much about level 29 in Doom 2 so I'll gladly never touch that game lol.

• 6 months later...

I completed doom 1993 with patch 1.08 and its very hard. Enemies are much faster which means the current strategies for every level can still be used but you have to improvise a bit. Its still very possible to platinum this game with the latest patch installed but it requires patience and skill.

On 31/01/2021 at 3:27 PM, SlimSanta94 said:

Not true. Compare the game with a video before it was updated to patch 1.08 and there is a huge difference in enemy speed making the levels with tight corridors incredibly frustrating to navigate and get through.

Edited by UlvenFenrir
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DavySuicide said:

Hey @UlvenFenrir congratz on the platinum bro. I saw you did Doom recently, great job! Have you done the coop part alone? I am trying to get Doom 2 atm and working on Doom 1 as well but I do have a skilled partner from my city I am tackling this but it's still extremely tough o.O 

Are you going for Doom 2 as well?

I did both doom 1993 and doom 2 solo in co-op. Unless you have someone who knows what to do i think its actually easier doing it solo.  

• 1 year later...
On 31/01/2021 at 2:27 PM, SlimSanta94 said:

I just completed this yesterday and imo it 100% makes a massive difference lol, all guides on all trophy sites I can find are from around the time of release and look to be waaaayyy easier than what the difficulty actually is now. Turbo pinkies alone will make some levels that were once relatively easy to the hardest in the entire game since there are very few instances in which you can just ignore them and run past, and even in instances where it was already too narrow to get past them, you now need to have a lot more room to back up as they will reach you 5x faster and bite you everytime if you aren't actively moving away when they initiate their attack.

My advice is that very few levels leave you actual room for error, if you die, Monsters will respawn all clumped up in one spot and if that spot is anywhere remotely near where you have to go, you need to reset. I imagine that there might be some kind of way to manipulate their spawns to get them out of the way, but it's either too complex or too impractical that I can't find anyone who's done it online.

I found the main trick to be finding the right guide, a lot of e2 and e3 levels can still be completed with the original guides as they are easy relative to e1 and some outliers in e2 and e3 which you'll need to find a guide that either runs the latest patch or is from the original release and nightmare difficulty. The only issue with that is that most if not all of them are done as part of a full game nightmare run with weapons and stats carried over from level to level which obviously isn't going to be possible with no saves unless you're planning on not dying once lol. For certain levels, you need to use a combination of strategies used in the trophy guide runs and other independent runs, since if you only use the former, you'll find that they respawn and ignore demons A LOT which is no longer that viable of a strategy on most maps, and if you only use the latter you'll find that they rely on using weapons picked up from previous levels A LOT with no real room for error

8 minutes ago, Seans_War said:

I just completed this yesterday and imo it 100% makes a massive difference lol, all guides on all trophy sites I can find are from around the time of release and look to be waaaayyy easier than what the difficulty actually is now. Turbo pinkies alone will make some levels that were once relatively easy to the hardest in the entire game since there are very few instances in which you can just ignore them and run past, and even in instances where it was already too narrow to get past them, you now need to have a lot more room to back up as they will reach you 5x faster and bite you everytime if you aren't actively moving away when they initiate their attack.

I got the platinum for Doom 2 recently and yeah I agree 100%. Pinkies being faster makes the games a hell of a lot more tedious to get through. 

• Like 2