Should I even bother trying to platinum GTA 4?

ParadockGaming

As the title says, I was wondering if I should bother to invest time trying to platinum this game. I recently finished the game's story mode and I felt satisfied with the game as is. From the looks of the trophy rarity it seems like a lot of my time would be spent trying to get the multiplayer trophies, which would be very tricky since this is a 13+ year old game with mostly dead lobbies. 

How much time would it take to try and obtain all the multiplayer trophies if I started up a boosting session?

Is the multiplayer fun enough?

What are your opinions after platinuming this game over all?

• Like 2

Multiplayer was a pain in the ass. I don't remember how many time it tooks to me, but definitely a lot. It's not very funny because you NEED to boost almost everything. Auf Wiedersehen Petrovic and Most Wanted are the most time consuming, even boosting both of them (specially Most Wanted).

Single player trophies were fun, even the DLCs. It's worth to plat if you really like GTA games.

Multiplayer is not fun at all it is a pain in the ass as stated above.  :D

On the other hand it is a very nice platinum to add to collection. I took me some 12 days,playing 5 sometimes 10 hours per day. Most of the work can be done with just one partner like winning all the races and doing happiness island glitch to level up. You will need 4 players for some modes but that can be done fast.  Also 2 very good partners for one co-op trophy. 

Leveling up is slow and annoying but you don't have to do anything for one hour when you set up the glitch. I managed to go out for a bike ride or sleep while doing it. :eyebrow:

Edited by blazkowicz6
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BrandonUltimate said:

What are your opinions after platinuming this game over all?

It's not too bad if you have x2 PS3's. You will need another 2 people to boost some of the other MP modes. I boosted with one other person in the same country with x2 PS3s and we could did all of the modes that needed 4 players. We also did all coop with 2 players. (This was done in one night)

All other modes and especially the racing can be boosted solo with x2 PS3's (this was done over a week). This will reduce the risk of connectivity issues causing the win not to register.

Follow Prof Bam Bam's guides on how to do the multiplayer, he has very detailed guides and videos. Manually tracking your progress is also critical. Prof Bam Bam covers that and also has a sheet you can print out!

As for the grind to L10, there is a glitch on Bomb da Base that you can still boost solo with x2 PS3's. It took a while but it wasn't too bad (this was done over a weeked). The hangman’s noose method was the old legit method I think so I don't think you need to do that. There are much worse grinds out there.

Edited by Rando-Calrisian-
  • Like 4

If it's worth it, it's really up to you. To be completely honest offline is way more annoying than online in this game. I recently did online with a few friends, we did co-op in 5 hours and modes that require more than 2 people in around 2 hours, I boosted everything else including lvl10 by myself with 2 consoles(about 8h of active boosting and 30h of afk boost for level).  It was probably one of the easier and effortless boosts I did, people are making it seem much worse than it actually is.

• Like 2

I’d like to thank everyone for their input on this post. I’ve decided that it’s better for me to just enjoy the game for its story and call it a day. Although I liked the game I don’t think I have such time or patients to be able to do to a large amount of tedious grinding for this game. I must say I’m very impressed that a lot of you sacrificed so much of your energy getting the platinum though. Again, thanks for your time!

• Like 3

Just wanted to chime in since I’m currently working my way through this platinum. I’ve always had an attachment and certain fondness for GTA IV, but I wasn’t truly prepared for how poorly this game has aged. Not to be misconstrued however, the game is still a blast to play simply because it’s Rockstar and there’s a timeless quality about their back catalogue.  However, the frame rate is utterly horrific with its frequent stuttering, the game is very dark unless your brightness is near maximum, the motion blur and film grain is so exaggerated and there are no options to remove or lessen it, the list goes on. So if people are going to jump back into this in 2021, just be prepared for how technically flawed and rough it is.

As for me, GTA IV is the only game in the series that I haven’t even attempted to platinum before now. The online component of the trophy list daunted the ever living shit out of me, and for good reason. I started multiplayer in August and it took me 3-4 months of casually jumping on when I got the urge to make progress on it. Biggest piece of advice, and it’s rather obvious, is to get yourself a reliable boosting partner, or if you have multiple consoles, connect them up. I readily admit I wouldn’t have “Auf Wiedersehen Petrovic” without a lot of assistance from a lot of different people. “Wanted” is another notoriously difficult  trophy but the “Bomb Da Base” exploit made that obsolete once I eventually found out about it. 

I certainly don’t regret starting the journey to obtaining the platinum. Technical issues aside, the single player portion is still such a memorable and special game, and when it comes to multiplayer, I’m pleasantly surprised by how active and populated the servers still are. There’s still a reasonably dedicated player base committed to the game.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 31. 1. 2021 at 10:13 PM, Azaan60 said:

As someone who's got the Platinum, don't waste your time lol. It's extremely tedious & repetitive. The rank 10 grind was one of the worst grinds I've ever had to endure.

Actually, theres a very good tutorial for a fast method in the multiplayer guide by ProfBambam55.

You need a skillful partner and determination but I did it and was able to achieve rank 10 in around 4-5 hours.

In my oponion much better than the second method, where you have to setup a glitch every 1 hour for around 20 hours...

Keep in mind this goes for your partner aswell, so in total it would be 8-10 hours with skill or 40 hours without skill.

I recommend reading the mp guide, it has all the info and warnings you will need to know.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just got it today, and I still don't know if it was really worth it... You will need a strong determination but also good parteners to help you with races and coop. If you are like me and you want to have all gta platinum, well go for it, we don't know for how long multiplayers servers will be on. Otherwise if you are not really motivated, just pass and have fun on other games.
I can tell you it wasnt fun, it was a lot of stress and luckly for me I didn't had any major issues. Good luck !

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DonLouboutin said:

I just got it today, and I still don't know if it was really worth it... You will need a strong determination but also good parteners to help you with races and coop. If you are like me and you want to have all gta platinum, well go for it, we don't know for how long multiplayers servers will be on. Otherwise if you are not really motivated, just pass and have fun on other games.
I can tell you it wasnt fun, it was a lot of stress and luckly for me I didn't had any major issues. Good luck !

It was deff worth it for me, the satisfaction I get from it is enough, plus Im proud that me and my partner managed to do all the races and the XP glitch, im happy with it. So I guess it depends on the kind of person you are.

• Like 1

I dont care how bad the grind would have been on this plat if it could have been done solo but i hate relying on other people. Especially this much time and dedication. Unless you knew the other people personally. 

I was happy with my 91percent completion. Great game, even in 2019 when i went for the trophies properly

• 1 month later...

I've had the game since it first came out and tbh, i'd say its worth it, but very time consuming. Boosting helps, specially through glitches like the sniper. I only need one more online trophy, after that, its all offline for me. Not a single person i know in person has platinum other than those i've boosted on psnprofiles with. My only worry is the AWP trophy as you really need to keep a record for it and make sure you've 100% completed that race or match because even one miss could result in doing the whole thing again.

• 1 month later...

Got the first trophy 10 years ago and then never played the game again.  Picked it back up 30 days ago and just finished my the last GTA race for AWP & Platinum.  Considering, if I heard correctly, if servers are getting shut down soon, MP shouldnt be too bad if you're fine with gaming with randoms (I see a ton of GTA IV boost sessions here on PSNP) but if you have friends and/or other means of boosting, it's probably a little less stressful, less grind-y that way.  Profbambam55 is still at it as he helped me with FTC and other MP trophies.

On 7/16/2021 at 5:41 AM, Stevieboy said:

It's GTA V's PS3 servers that are getting shut down (on 16th December), not GTA IV's servers.

When I first heard about GTA servers, something I saw pointed me towards GTA IV, but correct it is not GTA IV servers.

However, I've come to understand that it's the GTA Online servers which is a separate from GTA V, no?

1 minute ago, jrod2510 said:

When I first heard about GTA servers, something I saw pointed me towards GTA IV, but correct it is not GTA IV servers.

However, I've come to understand that it's the GTA Online servers which is a separate from GTA V, no?

GTA Online is the MP component of GTA V, so it's not really separate.

So GTA V will become platinum blocked on the PS3 in December?  How many MP trophies are there?

I always thought it was like "here's GTA V over here, and then we took that online MP model and over here we have this similar but separate GTA Online over here"?