New monitor for the PS5 - 27"/$500 max

Storfl_92

1 minute ago, Storfl_92 said:

I have read online that the PS5 cant display 1440p do you have some personal experience?

The PS5 will not natively support 1440 at this point (time will tell if they eventually support it), but you're getting that ability anyway with monitors at this performance and price level and will be useful for PS of Xbox gaming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

As far as 27" max and under $500, there is the Acer Nitro XV272U that is 1440 (Everything I'm reading says 4K under 30" is not as impactful as over 30") and will do up to 144Hz refresh rate and it's $300. Or you can jump to to $400 for the LG 27GN800-B.

Thank you i will stick to one of your suggestions. Thx and happy hunting

On 1/31/2021 at 8:49 PM, Storfl_92 said:

Hi guys. As for now I am not able to get a Ps5. So I want to upgrade my gaming monitor before i can get my hands on a Ps5.

I use a 4k TV for now. But i will get a monitor for my gaming room. What do i have to look out for? how much HZ, 1080 or 4k.

What do you guys use? i am thankful for everything 

Best monitor you can buy for under 500 at 28" right now is the Asus VG289Q by far (or any of its sibling but the Asus has the most features). Only downside is that it's limited at 60Hz.

But you can't get a good 4K monitor with high refresh rates for under 500 unless you settle for a really shitty TN panel.

Beyond that the best option is hands down the LG CX.

EDIT 20-3

There's another interesting option, the LG 27GN950, but it's twice the price of the Asus VG289Q, no HDMI 2.1 and only 60Hz at 4k via HDMI (it's advertised at 144Hz so be careful with what you read).

A promising option is the Philips Momentum 328M1R, a 32" 4K with interesting specs for around 600 US$ / €, but has been promised for over a year and still zilch. So only believe if this is really good once it comes out and there's reviews. It's a VA panel, the Asus and LG are IPS.

Edited by cris3f
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Do you have permanent burn in or image retention? While image retention is certainly an annoyance, there are ways to alleviate and reduce it and at least it’s temporary. And what you get in exchange can be worth it. Not to mention the advancements since the C7 to almost completely eliminate image retention all together. 

Had permanent burn in on both my 55" and 65". After a long fight with LG they came out and replaced the panels themselves with C8 panels and messed with a stack of settings to remove the risk of it happening again. But yeah, 2 TV's, 1 used for 50% gaming 50% TV and the other 100% TV and both were knackered, wasn't very happy.

Was a shame it happened as outside of that I absolutely love them. I know the newer ones are a lot less risk of the issues I had though. Just cant justify the cost when I only bought these early 2018. Still recommend them to anyone listening. Best picture you can get.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Storfl_92 said:

I have read online that the PS5 cant display 1440p do you have some personal experience?

I'll be honest with you, My Series X xbox has better resolution and hdr implementation then my PS5 at this stage. But we are in dire need of a system/firmware update, it's like we've been in limbo since November the 12th.

• Like 1

On 31/01/2021 at 4:17 PM, BrandedBerserk said:

Not a monitor but look no further than the lg cx. It's the best TV right now for gaming and has everything you're looking for from 4k, 120 hz, HDR, low input lag, hdmi 2.1 and everything else you need for current gen. It's pricey for most but I have no regrets getting it and I doubt anyone will either.

On 31/01/2021 at 3:49 PM, Storfl_92 said:

Hi guys. As for now I am not able to get a Ps5. So I want to upgrade my gaming monitor before i can get my hands on a Ps5.

I use a 4k TV for now. But i will get a monitor for my gaming room. What do i have to look out for? how much HZ, 1080 or 4k.

What do you guys use? i am thankful for everything 

I agree with the above. Monitors are still good but honestly tvs have come a long way. Plus when you compare the picture and color accuracy and deeper blacks most tvs at the same price will beat out most monitors. Also some tvs like from the LG brand recommended above have started to include support for GSync which means if you have a PC with a compatible Nvidia card you'll have smooth performance as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Z1MZUM said:

I'll be honest with you, My Series X xbox has better resolution and hdr implementation then my PS5 at this stage. But we are in dire need of a system/firmware update, it's like we've been in limbo since November the 12th.

Have you noticed whites over-bloom and blacks possibly get crushed with RGB set to Full (the intended setting for monitors) with HDR on, and with RGB set to Limited the blacks are grey and the picture quality is completely washed out? I can't tell if this is poor implementation of HDR for monitors, or poor implementation with 1440p monitors that make use of upscaling a 1080p image or downscaling a 4K one. I choose to upscale the 1080p image since the HDR implementation seems even poorer on the latter, for example; in areas where it goes from dark to light you can see pixelated greys in-between, it's poorly transitioning from the dark to the light, upscaling from 1080p avoids this though. 

The reasoning why this is (possibly) is HDMI 2.0 can't do RGB Full with HDR on, only HDMI 2.1 can. I've seen people say online that does not matter, but from experience it does, you need RGB on Full for the console to use the whites and blacks the monitor is capable of, otherwise the whites are duller and the blacks are grey, and this creates the pixelated transitions. 

I've tried it on my computer, and HDR implementation is accurate there, which I'm imagining is the same for the Series X from what you said. And I have messed with the HDR settings on the PS5 for ages, it's something I keep going back to to see if I can just get to work, but I get the same results whichever options they are on. I refuse to turn HDR off though since I have still grown accustomed to the image quality and the HDR image with all its flaw still has more depth than the SDR overall. 

I think anyone looking to buy monitors, especially 1440p monitors with HDR or even maybe just HDR alone, should be aware of this since no one is talking about this online, and if they are, not many are and they're hard to find. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheNocturnalOwl said:

Have you noticed whites over-bloom and blacks possibly get crushed with RGB set to Full (the intended setting for monitors) with HDR on, and with RGB set to Limited the blacks are grey and the picture quality is completely washed out? I can't tell if this is poor implementation of HDR for monitors, or poor implementation with 1440p monitors that make use of upscaling a 1080p image or downscaling a 4K one. I choose to upscale the 1080p image since the HDR implementation seems even poorer on the latter, for example; in areas where it goes from dark to light you can see pixelated greys in-between, it's poorly transitioning from the dark to the light, upscaling from 1080p avoids this though. 

The reasoning why this is (possibly) is HDMI 2.0 can't do RGB Full with HDR on, only HDMI 2.1 can. I've seen people say online that does not matter, but from experience it does, you need RGB on Full for the console to use the whites and blacks the monitor is capable of, otherwise the whites are duller and the blacks are grey, and this creates the pixelated transitions. 

I've tried it on my computer, and HDR implementation is accurate there, which I'm imagining is the same for the Series X from what you said. And I have messed with the HDR settings on the PS5 for ages, it's something I keep going back to to see if I can just get to work, but I get the same results whichever options they are on. I refuse to turn HDR off though since I have still grown accustomed to the image quality and the HDR image with all its flaw still has more depth than the SDR overall. 

I think anyone looking to buy monitors, especially 1440p monitors with HDR or even maybe just HDR alone, should be aware of this since no one is talking about this online, and if they are, not many are and they're hard to find. 

Honestly you are saying exactly what I'm experiencing and I can't put my finger on it except one simple thing. The setup is so basic for HDR there are only 2 steps, It doesn't seem to understand my TV? Now my PC and Series X display HDR colors as intended however the setup on both is allot more comprehensive. 

Tested on Hdmi 2.1 and Hdmi 2.0 on a 200mhz panel. There is no visible difference on PS5, the same problem is some games appear too bland and it doesn't matter whether they support hdr or not. Some look amazing, it's just pot luck?

Now it should be OK on 1440 monitors though and even 1080. HDMI should do full RGB, just not at 4k 120mhz? I think that's how it works.

My choice of words may be confusing though, I mean to say the setup process is poorly implemented at this stage. Funny thing is the original PS3 did similar shit on a more then capable monitor back in the day.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

Now it should be OK on 1440 monitors though and even 1080. HDMI should do full RGB, just not at 4k 120mhz? I think that's how it works.

"When displaying 4K HDR content at 60hz the color will be YUV422 or YUV420 instead of RGB due to HDMI 2.0 transfer speed limitations." And then down below in "Frequencies (HDR)" 24 to 60hz is limited to YUV422 (this error could just be on my screen). Most of the games I play are 60fps anyway so it doesn't matter, and why I upscale 1080p. But it seems like HDR monitors aren't exactly supported if you are displaying at 4K (even downscaling 4K to a 1440p screen) since it won't allow the peak whites and peak blacks of monitors (RGB Full), and just give the television version (RGB limited) which results in the washed out colors, dull whites, and grey blacks. Which is why the PS5 needs to have native support for 1440p since I think that would resolve at least that problem. But the over-bloom of the whites and crushing of the blacks I imagine may still be a problem after that since HDR might have not been optimized for RGB Full.

HDMI 2.1 monitors would also get around this problem, and anyone not interested in HDR this shouldn't be a problem at all, although developers seem to be moving on from SDR, and optimizing games for HDR more, an example of this being the Resident Evil: Village demo that has grey blacks in SDR. 

17 hours ago, TheNocturnalOwl said:

"When displaying 4K HDR content at 60hz the color will be YUV422 or YUV420 instead of RGB due to HDMI 2.0 transfer speed limitations." And then down below in "Frequencies (HDR)" 24 to 60hz is limited to YUV422 (this error could just be on my screen). Most of the games I play are 60fps anyway so it doesn't matter, and why I upscale 1080p. But it seems like HDR monitors aren't exactly supported if you are displaying at 4K (even downscaling 4K to a 1440p screen) since it won't allow the peak whites and peak blacks of monitors (RGB Full), and just give the television version (RGB limited) which results in the washed out colors, dull whites, and grey blacks. Which is why the PS5 needs to have native support for 1440p since I think that would resolve at least that problem. But the over-bloom of the whites and crushing of the blacks I imagine may still be a problem after that since HDR might have not been optimized for RGB Full.

HDMI 2.1 monitors would also get around this problem, and anyone not interested in HDR this shouldn't be a problem at all, although developers seem to be moving on from SDR, and optimizing games for HDR more, an example of this being the Resident Evil: Village demo that has grey blacks in SDR. 

So there needs to be a broader reference range for the PS5 then. I mainly game at 1440p for PC though of course I don't have a monitor like you do.

YUV422 10Bit on Hdmi 2.0 @ 4k 60Hz on most tv's

I am on HDMI 2.1 though a completely different panel to you. I had PS5 as my main but hooked the PS4 pro for the time being.