Final Fantasy fan? Help me out

I have never played a final fantasy before ( kill me, i allow it ) and i would like to start because all the people that played it tell me that its a great franchise.

My question is: could you make me a list of the oldest fantasy games that came out to the newest only available on ps4? 

For example i know that the final fantasy x ii remake just came out, are there any ff on ps4 that are older than xii?

Thanks and forgive my stupidity

48 minutes ago, Cynical_Hunter said:

I have never played a final fantasy before ( kill me, i allow it ) and i would like to start because all the people that played it tell me that its a great franchise.

My question is: could you make me a list of the oldest fantasy games that came out to the newest only available on ps4? 

For example i know that the final fantasy x ii remake just came out, are there any ff on ps4 that are older than xii?

Thanks and forgive my stupidity

VII, VIII, IX, X and X-2 are all on PS4 in some form or another and all are older than XII. I would also recommend starting with one between VII-X. These 4 games are all fab in their own way (VII being my personal favourite) and all have the classic style gameplay and other characteristics that Final Fantasy as a franchise is known for. XII plays quite differently to those in regards to the battle system for example.

Just keep in mind that VII-IX were PS1 games. They are very rough and very old school in terms of gameplay and story telling. I honestly wouldn't recommend starting with any of them.

I'd say start with X. It's a great representation of everything the series has to offer. It has some odeas used in the older games and some ideas they started using moving forward. I think it's safe to say if you like X, you'll like other FF games as well. That can't really be said of the PS1 games or some of the later games like XII or XIV.

And in case you don't know, almost all FF games are completely separate. They all take place in different worlds with different characters. Unless it's a spinoff or direct sequel. So it's not like you need to start with the oldest to understand the story or anything. 

Edited by ExHaseo
  • Like 2

To my mind, there are 3 reasonable ’paths’ into Final Fantasy for a newcomer - though not all PS4, but if that isn’t a dealbreaker:

1. Best of the Golden Age - Final Fantasy VI.

FFVI represents the best of the 16bit & 8bit era.

It has an astoundingly good story, funny bits, tough bits, lots to explore and great combat.

This is the path I would recommend you take if you have played and enjoyed other Final Fantasy-adjacent SNES era games, like Chronotrigger / Secret of Mana / Illusion of Gaia etc. (Obviously, I can’t tell from your trophy list on that stuff!)

it is 16bit, so what is now commonly referred to as pixelart, so visually, it actually holds up better than the next option....

I don’t think this is on Ps4, but it is on everything. It’s on Vita. It’s on Phones, you could run it on a crap pc. Frankly, nowadays, you could probably run it on a scientific calculator, but it is still a hell of a game.

2. Best of the Silver Age - Final Fantasy VII 

FFVII’s look has not aged very well, but the story is still great, and the combat and materia system is really quite excellent.

It is on Ps4, and if you can accept the cheebie visuals, it is still a remarkable game, and a good entry point, if for no other reason than it is certainly the most engrained in pop-culture. Everyone who has ever looked sideways ar a games console knows who cloud is, and has wondered at some point how he lifts that big-ass sword. 

If you really are approaching this from a “lets see what the fuss is about” mentality, I’d start here.

Note - while it might be tempting, I’d avoid playing the FFVII remake as a first entry point, as It’s story is heavily dependent on you knowing the original.

2. Best of the Modern Age - Final Fantasy XIII

While some would argue the best of the modern(ish) games is FFXII (and I might actually agree), I think XII is a very unusually paced and playing game, even within the FF canon, so I would recommend XIII over it as a jumping in point.

The story is weaker than the two previous options (though still fine really), but the visuals are still great, the art design is wonderful, and the combat system is modern and a ton of fun. This is the first one to begin the combat style that was refined over a few games, ending in the FFVII remake style, which I believe is the best it has ever been.

If you think you would have an easier time easing into the series with a more modern, and graphically pleasing Final Fantasy (nothing wrong with that opinion) then I’d start here.

Edit: I thought this was on PS4, but I can’t seem to find it, so possibly only PS3? Someone would have to confirm that - seems an odd one never to have had a re-release...

Edited by DrBloodmoney

Thank you all for this, i will definitely take this all in consideration, it's probably my first time doing this topics and i just got really happy to see that people are really helpful. Thank you guys.

Will start a final fantasy in the future and i'll come back to say what i'm thinking about it. 

• Like 1