Confirmed: You will not be able to change your PSN ID on the PS4

Humonic

You're only 6 platinums in :) I had an old account, I had 10 platinums on it and I wanted to change my name, I restarted in the end and I thought 10 would be hard to catch up too, 4 months down the line and I have 8, I got 6 in two months and got skyrim and GTA V in the other 2 months, you could literally get 10 platinums in a month if you chose the right games.

This is assuming you care about platinums of course, maybe you don't, but trust me 10 wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, 6 won't be either. ;)

So if you really do not like your name and you want to change it, it's best to do it now, then a year or two down the line, you can get 6 plats back in the next couple of months. 

By the way your name isn't bad at all. ;P

Yeah especially since 4 of those platinums (Sound Shapes, U2, U3, The Walking Dead) aren't that hard. Might consider it because the longer I wait and unlock more trophies the less I'll want to do it. Maybe if my name doesn't sound that bad to you then I might keep it. The problem is that people confuse me for a girl in MP games and it just makes it awkward. Yep. I'll probably make a new one.

Edited by Herwest299

I definitely agree with you and it's a bummer that you cannot pay a fee to change it or something.  

That said, I've been using daftprophet for as long as I can remember.  Even before online gaming when you had to enter a name for in game leaderboards and such, I still used prophet a lot. 

Sure, my name is comprised of things I like, but I am pretty sure I will like them for years to come (already been like 10 years or so) 

However, I do wish people at least had the option. :/

• Like 1

I am happy with my username but the option to change your username would be good, is it really that hard to do.

Apparently it is hard actually, your trophies are tied to your PSN ID and not your account ID number.. imagine your account is a cake.. Your ID number is the cake and your PSN Username is the icing.. your trophies are attached to your Icing (PSN Username) and not your cake (ID Number) so if you were going to change your Icing (Username) you'd lose all your trophies anyway.

Really the trophies should be attached to your Account ID number so then you can change your Username as many times as you want, but they're not.

I don't know if that is completely true I just heard about the whole account number from a friend, but if that's true it would make sense why Sony can't change your Username.  

I cannot express just how stupid that is. ;/

I definitely agree with you and it's a bummer that you cannot pay a fee to change it or something.  

That said, I've been using daftprophet for as long as I can remember.  Even before online gaming when you had to enter a name for in game leaderboards and such, I still used prophet a lot. 

Sure, my name is comprised of things I like, but I am pretty sure I will like them for years to come (already been like 10 years or so) 

However, I do wish people at least had the option. :/

In my opinion though your name is fucking awesome xD I'll probably kick you in the shin through the internet if you changed it.

Unfortunately for most of us, all the awesome names are taken, so were left to either make up a word (my name) or stick some numbers or Xx or the end of it. >.< 

I said before it would be great it they could at least recirculate inactive/unused PSN ID's.

Edited by Humonic
  • Like 2

See I have had the same user name for as long as I can remember, and Yes I did think about it before I created it because I thought I MAY be stuck with it, because not thinking it through would be silly.

As for recirculate user names, Xbox does not do it either. I had two xbox accounts back on the original Xbox, one I took to the 360 and one I canceled. I still get emails for the one I canceled because it is still in there system and it is still linked to me.

And deciding against going to the new system because you can not change a name you picked because you did not think it through is rather stupid imo.

I don't know if that is completely true I just heard about the whole account number from a friend, but if that's true it would make sense why Sony can't change your Username. 

Account ID Numbers and User names are one in the same, Hence why if you try to copy a Trophy based save to from one profile to another it will block futher trophies from being unlocked on that save. Because it does not match the ID Number/Profile.

See I have had the same user name for as long as I can remember, and Yes I did think about it before I created it because I thought I MAY be stuck with it, because not thinking it through would be silly.

As for recirculate user names, Xbox does not do it either. I had two xbox accounts back on the original Xbox, one I took to the 360 and one I canceled. I still get emails for the one I canceled because it is still in there system and it is still linked to me.

And deciding against going to the new system because you can not change a name you picked because you did not think it through is rather stupid imo.

Hmm well that's silly that they didn't recirculate it, I youtuber I once watched was talking about how he wanted the XBL ID 'Insomnia' but it was inactive and not used, the XBL recirculated a big chunk of unused ID's and someone took Insomnia before he could, so then he just went with the name Insomulus..

Also I can see why you think my reason is stupid, from the outside looking in I guess it rather is, but my reason behind it is this.. I can't guarantee I'll like my name in 5 years, in fact I could completely hate my name in 5 years, I could think it's the silliest shit on earth.. that lack of guarantee makes me very cautious about putting in time and effort to surpass say 100 platinum trophies.

If in 5 years I hate my name so much that I have to restart just to change it... 5 years of time and effort has been lost just because they can't implement the option to change our names.. I'm thinking of it like this, I could put 5 years of time and effort into steam achievements and change my name when ever I want and that 5 years will not go to waste, or I could put 5 years into XBL achievements, change my name whenever and those 5 years will not go to waste. Or I could put 5 years into PSN trophies, possibly hate my name in 5 years and all that time has completely gone to waste because I want to change my name. That's a huge risk so that's why I'm considering my options.

This is not an issue at all. You were the person who picked your ID. If you don't like it, it's your own fault. There are some very good technical implementation reasons why this isn't done, and moreover it was never implemented or promised... How on earth is this a big deal, let alone news?

Edited by Pie
  • Like 3

I dislike my name.  Unfortunately, the two I would want (and would gladly restart my trophy collection to get) are both taken, Dreakon and Dreakon13.  The latter of which is actually an old account of mine... but I prefer the games on this one lol.

I'm complicated...

This is not an issue at all. You were the person who picked your ID. If you don't like it, it's your own fault. There are some very good technical implementation reasons why this isn't done, and moreover it was never implemented or promised... How on earth is this a big deal, let alone news?

I suppose one could ask why Microsoft would implement something like this if all this were true.

Edited by Dreakon139

I suppose one could ask why Microsoft would implement something like this if all this were true.

Probably because the two products share next to zero code, and are likely implemented in completely different ways. It's not something you can just change if you didn't plan for it in the beginning. It's incomparable.

Probably because the two products share next to zero code, and are likely implemented in completely different ways. It's not something you can just change if you didn't plan for it in the beginning. It's incomparable.

That's all well and good, but it's nothing we know for certain.  And that doesn't explain why it isn't a "big deal".  There was enough demand for Microsoft to implement it, technical logistics aside.

Edited by Dreakon139

No big deal in my opinion.  It's only a name and if you've been stupid enough to not think ahead then you've made your bed, now lie in it.  I can see how some people would like to change 'gay' names but as I say, you should have thought of that before creating it.

Agreed. I always hated that on Xbox anyway. You log out and back in the next day and you have all these new names on your friends list cause they had to change them for some new Halo coming out and your like wtf are you? You choose the name live with it. Don't gripe about it though. Think about it like you'd name your child. You can't change your child's name once a year because it ain't in fashion anymore. 

• Like 1

No. It is an issue, people out there DO want change their names, I'm not one of them, but some people do, so, it is an issue, just because it doesn't effect you doesn't make the problem non existent. 

• Like 3

That's all well and good, but it's nothing we know for certain.  And that doesn't explain why it isn't a "big deal".  There was enough demand for Microsoft to implement it, technical logistics aside.

Microsoft put it in to make more money. Plain and Simple. Greedy company is Greedy. Just look at the "Xbox Games for Gold" They give ya some mediocre 5+ yr old title and wanna be praised. lol. When 360 came out they trashed their original xbox server's quite fast. Another sign of Greedyness. Another division of Microsoft, windows team, what a joke. Put something out buggy as hell and instead of patches they put a new one out the following year and put the same price tag on it. Everyone knew it was just the same old windows though. 

• Like 1

all the best names will be taken now anyway

only fools rush in

All the best names are taken.. for me the best one would be George.. that's taken and hasn't been used in years, that's why it would be cool if they could recirculate and let us rename too. Also 12 year olds can't help that the ps3 came out when they were 12.. they also can't help that they liked a certain thing when they were 12, I wouldn't call them fools because they called themselves john182.

At the time John182 was a great idea, the name was a good fit for them and they liked it.. 5 years down the line it's still a good name, it just doesn't fit the owner anymore.

Not everyone who doesn't like their name rushed in.

Agreed. I always hated that on Xbox anyway. You log out and back in the next day and you have all these new names on your friends list cause they had to change them for some new Halo coming out and your like wtf are you? You choose the name live with it. Don't gripe about it though. Think about it like you'd name your child. You can't change your child's name once a year because it ain't in fashion anymore. 

You don't like the option because it inconveniences you for a split second, it's just too hard to hard what there name was before hand huh ;) also if you were smart you would change your name then send out a mass message to everyone on your FL saying hey it's TalynnStrike, I just changed my name too.. insert new name.

Microsoft put it in to make more money. Plain and Simple. Greedy company is Greedy. Just look at the "Xbox Games for Gold" They give ya some mediocre 5+ yr old title and wanna be praised. lol. When 360 came out they trashed their original xbox server's quite fast. Another sign of Greedyness. Another division of Microsoft, windows team, what a joke. Put something out buggy as hell and instead of patches they put a new one out the following year and put the same price tag on it. Everyone knew it was just the same old windows though. 

How is them adding the option to change your name greedy? Granted they could do it for free, or not charge $5 and charge a little less, but I don't think the giving the option is there inherently out of greed, I think the option there is because it's a good thing that some people wanted.

I think the price tag is there so people don't change their name every 30 seconds, not because they're just super greedy, granted they're super greedy, but them implementing the name change option probably wasn't out of greed it was just down to demand, that's business for you.

All the best names are taken.. for me the best one would be George.. that's taken and hasn't been used in years, that's why it would be cool if they could recirculate and let us rename too. Also 12 year olds can't help that the ps3 came out when they were 12.. they also can't help that they liked a certain thing when they were 12, I wouldn't call them fools because they called themselves john182.

At the time John182 was a great idea, the name was a good fit for them and they liked it.. 5 years down the line it's still a good name, it just doesn't fit the owner anymore.

Not everyone who doesn't like their name rushed in.

You don't like the option because it inconveniences you for a split second, it's just too hard to hard what there name was before hand huh ;) also if you were smart you would change your name then send out a mass message to everyone on your FL saying hey it's TalynnStrike, I just changed my name too.. insert new name.

No, it doesn't inconvenience me. It's stupid. You picked the name. Live with it. Ya know...this post reminds me of real life. Ppl make mistakes all the time and want them erased. Well this is similiar. You picked the wrong name, wanna change it once a year...well we have choices. We make em and live with it. Before i create a name i spend weeks on it before i put it down. Because i do know i'm a gamer and that name will live with me for a long while. 

How is them adding the option to change your name greedy? Granted they could do it for free, or not charge $5 and charge a little less, but I don't think the giving the option is there inherently out of greed, I think the option there is because it's a good thing that some people wanted.

I think the price tag is there so people don't change their name every 30 seconds, not because they're just super greedy, granted they're super greedy, but them implementing the name change option probably wasn't out of greed it was just down to demand, that's business for you.

Hehe, Well as you say business. If a person changes it once, they'll do it again. There's the business perspective of it. I saw my son's 360 profile and his friends. Usually anytime a new game came out his friends would change it for that game. So i know from first hand knowledge. That yes some ppl would change their name every 30 seconds. So.. yes. Greedy is Greedy. 

No, it doesn't inconvenience me. It's stupid. You picked the name. Live with it. Ya know...this post reminds me of real life. Ppl make mistakes all the time and want them erased. Well this is similiar. You picked the wrong name, wanna change it once a year...well we have choices. We make em and live with it. Before i create a name i spend weeks on it before i put it down. Because i do know i'm a gamer and that name will live with me for a long while. 

I think you're looking at it wrong, it's not so black and white, it's not like the person choosing a name just chose one they didn't like, they chose one they liked at first but then over time began to not like it anymore, also PSN Usernames aren't life mistakes, we shouldn't have to "live" with our usernames mistakes as you put it, when XBOX and Steam give you the option to change them.

The competition offers you the option to change your name, Sony should be offering it as well by now.

Don't like it? Buy a xbox. Problem solved.

No, PS exclusives, trophies and friends. No.

I think you're looking at it wrong, it's not so black and white, it's not like the person choosing a name just chose one they didn't like, they chose one they liked at first but then over time began to not like it anymore, also PSN Usernames aren't life mistakes, we shouldn't have to "live" with our usernames mistakes as you put it, when XBOX and Steam give you the option to change them.

The competition offers you the option to change your name, Sony should be offering it as well by now.

No, PS exclusives, trophies and friends. No.

If you don't like it. Buy an Xbox. I've been gaming since i was 8 i'm 38 now. If i didn't like a user name i picked i changed it or kept it. i Didn't whine about it. Besides as you say, when you are 12 you make mistakes. Most of my names i been using since i was 12. Only one i retired and that was back when i played Ultime Online and only reason i retired it cause every game after UO it would say already in use. So i came up with one that would last me awhile. 2 outta 4 of my user names are unique and when i play mmorpg's i can always create em. 

So yea anyway. I'm done with this. Didn't come on here to argue. Just add my 2 cents. If no one likes it. Buy an Xbox. So you can change your name every month. 

• Like 2