Confirmed: You will not be able to change your PSN ID on the PS4

Humonic

Yea, it would be nice to have the capabilities to change PSN ID (even for a fee or maybe if you have PS+), but accept it, not going to happen.  End of story :( 

BTW I do like my PSN ID.  Reminds me of the good old days watching Bleach (they should have ended the anime already :facepalm:

yes ur american, yes ur sensitive and understandably so especially when it comes to presidency figures etc but come on... someone runnin around as barrack online nailin gamers in gta5, cod, battlefield ect would be quite funny... especially if it was him lol

American yes.. Sensitive hell no. When it comes to our president's.. don't really consider it sensitive..more resentful hrm maybe Disappointed. America once stood for something. Not so much anymore. 

I can't comment on that last part..... lol......

This doesn't bothered me at all cause I picked my ID carefully knowing I woudn`t be able to change it and I´m really attached to it now :P

It sucks tough for the people that have collected tons of trophies and don´t feel like keeping their ID´s any more.

American yes.. Sensitive hell no. When it comes to our president's.. don't really consider it sensitive..more resentful hrm maybe Disappointed. America once stood for something. Not so much anymore. 

I can't comment on that last part..... lol......

You could say that about every time America is in a slump. 

Just think about your friends.

Changing your nick will make it hard for them to recognize you.

Also they will have to change the way they call you.

"Hey Naruto, I mean Goku, I mean Blink, I mean whateveryouridisatm!"

If someone made a bad descision 7 years ago, he should have gotten used to it by now. Or grown old enough not to care about it that much.

Just my opinion, but after 24 years I'm fine with the name my parents gave me and I would never change it.

Believe me, I'd absolutely love to just take your word for it. I'm sure you're a really smart guy, and worked really hard to get where you are. If you worked for Sony since the inception of the PSN infrastructure, just say so. If you haven't, then you're just taking educated guesses like the rest of us.

That said, if they can somehow work trophies and live game streaming into the PSN infrastructure, I find it hard to believe a name change is off limits. If that's just "the way it is" I'd call that infrastructure flawed and speaks something about the people building it... Not worth defending at the very least.

Well shit, by that logic Newton was taking "educated guesses" because he wasn't around since the inception of science. Sucks to be him then...

Of course Sony can change it, it's just a question of time and money that could be spent on things that aren't allowing people with no foresight who seem reluctant to sign up for another entirely free account to fiddle with their account name, like, say, everything else. Paypal was added as a payment type just today, seemingly, the PSN store's been migrated to PC and can download content to your PS3 remotely from anywhere, the friends list capability has increased from 100 to 2,000... The PSN developers aren't exactly twiddling their thumbs, so yeah, actually, I think it's definitely a product and a team of software engineers worth defending because they aren't doing exactly what some small minority of people on the internet want.

• Like 1

I just can't believe one of the greatest complaint that gamers has had with the PS3 Sony would go ahead and brush under the rug and expect it to go away.

not that your source isn't one of strength.

the thought of this is just unbelievable to Me.

if there is anything about the PS4 I'm gonna chalk up to just internet hearsay it is this.

but if anything, one should have approach their gamer tag like getting a Tattoo....... let it mean something to you.. 

I always think 10 times to choose name for my Id.. so I won't regret later..^_^

But yeahh mostly I make it based on my name..

Well tired for thinking and choose my own name :D

Ex: my psn id is my name

So doesn't matter for me that I can't change my name on ps4/future.. but some people will darn that.. hihi..

Edited by Nfs_Z

Well shit, by that logic Newton was taking "educated guesses" because he wasn't around since the inception of science. Sucks to be him then...

Of course Sony can change it, it's just a question of time and money that could be spent on things that aren't allowing people with no foresight who seem reluctant to sign up for another entirely free account to fiddle with their account name, like, say, everything else. Paypal was added as a payment type just today, seemingly, the PSN store's been migrated to PC and can download content to your PS3 remotely from anywhere, the friends list capability has increased from 100 to 2,000... The PSN developers aren't exactly twiddling their thumbs, so yeah, actually, I think it's definitely a product and a team of software engineers worth defending because they aren't doing exactly what some small minority of people on the internet want.

First, you don't find that comparing yourself to Newton is a little pompous?  Maybe you give yourself a bit too much credit... especially since you've done literally nothing to prove your "certainties" about the inner workings of Sony outside of vague references to your involvement in the gaming industry and a degree in Computer Science that may or may not exist.

Second, I'm only saying they aren't worth defending if they didn't build an infrastructure capable of tweaking someones User ID.  I'll side with the developer 99.9% of the time in most situations, but my understanding of these developers is based off of your saying "There are some very good technical implementation reasons why this isn't done" and that "It's not something you can just change if you didn't plan for it in the beginning".  To make such bold statements about your understanding of the technical side of this... I'd expect something to back it up.  If it's just a matter of time and money, and popularity of said functionality, that I can respect more since it probably isn't and shouldn't be priority #1... but you're still talking out of your ass.

Edited by Dreakon13

The only thing a person can do is be creative with their I.D and make it unique that you like it enough. Also this really isn't a hardware problem but more of a software. I think what Sony should do is have a 6months-2yrs waiting for accounts that ain't being used and wipe them off the systems so people can use those names. One question for all of you tho. If some of you don't like or want your name anymore, why are you still trophy hunting on that account? 

• Like 1

The only thing a person can do is be creative with their I.D and make it unique that you like it enough. Also this really isn't a hardware problem but more of a software. I think what Sony should do is have a 6months-2yrs waiting for accounts that ain't being used and wipe them off the systems so people can use those names. One question for all of you tho. If some of you don't like or want your name anymore, why are you still trophy hunting on that account? 

Jesus dude. their brains just Blew. and a question like this can take this train off da tracks and rocketing off into outer space. but is a good question and I'm sure will probably get 1 million answers to why they are so attached to that account and can't let go. :ninja:  

• Like 1

A little off topic, forgive me, but can I still have my PSN ID that I made on my PS3 and just put my email and password and login to the PS4 PSN?

Or will I have to make a completely new PS4 PSN ID?

Edited by KHAN-KSA

A little off topic, forgive me, but can I still have my PSN ID that I made on my PS3 and just put my email and password and login to the PS4 PSN?

Or will I have to make a completely new PS4 PSN ID?

I think da quote below might be da best answer for Ur question.

Trophies are attached to your SEN account which is shared across all Sony platforms. Your trophies will populate on the PS4 when you connect your PSN id and sync your trophies. Like they did with the Vita. 

so I would say yes. when you sign in with Ur previous account it should/will link Ur previous PS3 account to Ur PS4.

here is da source thread for quote on a similar discussion. 

Anyone know if AC4's PS3 trophy list will be shared with the PS4
  • Like 1