What's the worst forced failure trophy you've seen/tried to get?

JohnCenaSong-

So I've been having a think lately about these kind of trophies that reward you for failing or performing particularly badly at a game. I just noticed one in the game I'm playing (it requires you to take too long/struggle to complete a section of the game that it'll offer some little message, if you finish it in a realistic time you'd miss it and need another playthrough)

I've noticed this in other games with the "die 'x' times" which I'm sure for most of you become a post-game grind where you're just committing suicide over and over.

Just wondering what everyones worst experience with these are, or, maybe ones you managed to avoid missing but would be a real pain if you did miss them. Like, is there a trophy in some game for dying to the final boss which, if you beat it first try, would require a full second playthrough just to die to a boss xD.

It seems really backwards for a games trophies to actively reward failure but I do see it a bunch. Mild examples like a joke bronze trophy to 'die for the first time' in an exceptionally difficult game is fine, if you're so good that you never die you could easily just load a new save and die on the first level once. But to potentially lock out a player from getting all the achievements because they weren't bad enough at the game seem... odd?

So yeah, curious to hear what games out there really get excessive or annoying with their failure related trophies.

• Like 4

Forced dying is indeed a stupid thing to make as a trophy.

I have not had too bad experiences to be honest, like janzor88 says, not sure if Metal Gear Solid 4 can be topped.

If I had an enjoyable forced failure however, it would have to be on one of my favourite PS2 games Grand Theft Auto III.

In a game where if you fail a mission or die, you're probably gonna immediately reload your game instead of losing all your weapons.

So by the time you have all the other trophies, only other thing to do is go crazy, cause a ton of carnage and get arrested 20 times.

5Lc6cd33.png

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/4114-grand-theft-auto-iii/5-repeat-offender

Which can quite easily take 30 mins to an hour of your time. That was my final trophy before platinum and it was great fun.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 3

The ones that come to mind immediately are the Story/Choice driven games like Until Dawn and all the David Cage games (Heavy Rain, Detroit, Beyond Two Souls) that force you to do additional full or partial playthroughs just to kill off all your characters (or save them all).  I just finished Until Dawn recently, which is probably why it's fresh in my mind, as I'm sure there's plenty of others I've played over the years, but considering these add anywhere from 5-10 hours to the platinum grind per game, they seem the most relevant.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

The ones that come to mind immediately are the Story/Choice driven games like Until Dawn and all the David Cage games (Heavy Rain, Detroit, Beyond Two Souls) that force you to do additional full or partial playthroughs just to kill off all your characters (or save them all).  I just finished Until Dawn recently, which is probably why it's fresh in my mind, as I'm sure there's plenty of others I've played over the years, but considering these add anywhere from 5-10 hours to the platinum grind per game, they seem the most relevant.

To be fair, those kinda make sense, since they modify the story. It's a bad ending trophy, but it's still a trophy for achieving an ending, as opposed to simply doing the same death over and over again.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 4

The only game i played which has a trophy for dying a lot of time i had to grind out after all other trophies were unlocked is called

:silver: Morgue Filler (Die 888 times)

88 Heroes

I think i was around 500 deaths when i just needed this one trophy so i loaded up one level in which the floor vanishes after a few seconds and watched my hero die over and over again for a couple of minutes :D

In htoL#NiQ The Firefly Diary is a trophy for dying 300 times but that was one of the earliest trophies i unlocked :D

27 minutes ago, iliya0212 said:

Alien Isolation has trophy for dying 100 times to alien.. 100 TIMES TOO MANY

That's the one that immediately popped into my head.

34Lc5c072.png

But there's Germ Factory from Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny.  You have to catch a cold 100 times.  You catch a cold by staying up all night or passing out by running out of stamina and life.  You don't always catch a cold though.  And the more you catch a cold, the more your resistance goes up.

• Like 3

The worst one for me is Fenix Furia. I have two stupid bronze trophies left, which require you to die 5000 and 10.000 times. The problem is they're glitched and I have absolutely no idea how any of the achievers got it. I've probably done it more than 20 times by now and it never pops.

On top of that, the other trophies are pretty challenging, but you'll probably get stuck at 97% anyways.

I ended up buying the JP stack (only one in which these trophies properly work) because I was planning it to be my 400th plat at that time, but the NA stack remains incomplete. It's been some time since I last tried, but I don't have many hopes for this one...

Edited by LucasDiasC
  • Like 1

Well, Star Ocean: The Last Hope is always a choice. One of the 900 BTs required for the plat required a character to die 100 times, which is much harder than you think (this was added to BTs about getting hit by states a certain number of times, or failing to recover stolen gold, etc.).

But for me, the worst was this one:

7L37b208.png

Mass Grave (Pixel Heroes)

Lose 100 times

Pixel Heroes is not a trivial game to plat by any means. But when I got to grinding this trophy (and it was my last), I had lost the game a total of 8 times, over LOTS of playthroughs on LOTS of difficulties. There are quite a few trophies that share the title of "rarest" in this game (including the plat, which is at 1.36%), and this is one them. And all it requires is grinding out incompetence.

Edited by starcrunch061

1 minute ago, Infernopommes said:

To be fair, dying 10.000 times sounds a bit more annoying than dying 1.000 times.

Hahaha, definitely true. When I initially posted that I hadn't reloaded the page in a short bit so that comment about dying 10,000 times wasn't up yet. 

14 minutes ago, Infernopommes said:

Not sure if I understand this correctly. You died over 200.000 times?

Yeah, you can die pretty quickly because the level restarts instantly, it's a platformer very similar to super meat boy. You can even afk the grind with a turbo controller or rubberband aswell.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Infernopommes said:

Still sounds very tedious.

I read in the guide that you have to finish the level for it to count. Did you do that? (I just say this because I myself often overlooked a miniscule detail when I grinded for other trophies, so hopefully it helps.)

Yeah, I've tried everything, there are actually other trophies related to deaths (10,100, 1k, 2k, 5k and 10k) but only the last two are glitched on NA/EU stacks. I'll try it again when I have the patience...

• Like 1

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/5340-darkest-dungeon/42-we-all-return-to-dust

We all return to dust... From Darkest Dunegon

While some people may get it by playing normally. It's a terrible sting because if for some reason you never had a max level character die completing every other trophy you basically must willingly sacrifice one just to get this then.

• Like 1