How to completely fail at storytelling

SonicMTD

Mirror's Edge Catalyst had a fair share of good decisions in it's development. It's controls were incredibly fluid and it's art style was fantastic however that alone wasn't enough to save it. With gameplay features incredibly lacking, and it's paint by numbers story failed to inspire; Electronic Arts failed in trying to appeal to more people and as a result canned any potential in a sequel.

I can go on forever but how about I save you the article. Have a video that took me 4 years to make instead:

Do you still play Mirror's Edge Catalyst? What do you think about it compared to the original?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Mirror's Edge Catalyst gave me the good vibes of the original game. However, the story was not appealing at all & we jumped straight out of prison without knowing how we got there in the first place. In-Game credits were useless & upgrades were acquired by experience points & the AI was pretty dumb.

What the game lacked in script was made up for with pretty awesome graphics combined with somewhat unique visuals & fluid movements. It was a pretty nice experience overall as an old player of the game, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone looking for anything exceptional.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HyperNoob-01 said:

Mirror's Edge Catalyst gave me the good vibes of the original game. However, the story was not appealing at all & we jumped straight out of prison without knowing how we got there in the first place. In-Game credits were useless & upgrades were acquired by experience points & the AI was pretty dumb.

What the game lacked in script was made up for with pretty awesome graphics combined with somewhat unique visuals & fluid movements. It was a pretty nice experience overall as an old player of the game, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone looking for anything exceptional.

If you really want to know how she ended up in prison, I suggest reading the Mirror's Edge: Exordium prequel comic. Besides we really didn't need to know it for the overall story. It's simply meant to serve as a jumping in point for both Faith and the player into the world of runners. A fresh start one could say. 

10 hours ago, HyperNoob-01 said:

This is why I decided to zero in on the story for the video. If it wasn’t for the fact the story was so piss poor, it would have been an awesome game.

10 hours ago, dottyduke1 said:

If you really want to know how she ended up in prison, I suggest reading the Mirror's Edge: Exordium prequel comic. Besides we really didn't need to know it for the overall story. It's simply meant to serve as a jumping in point for both Faith and the player into the world of runners. A fresh start one could say. 

Did... did you even watch the review I made?... I cover this in it.

TLDR: If your argument for how I need to absorb a text in a different format to first understand what’s going on in a game, then you’ve pretty much failed in the most basic form of storytelling. If the backstory was maybe in the previous game then it would be earned. To just casually shrug off the fact it’s just a game and that the establishing story doesn’t matter is kinda why we get a lot of mediocre games as a result.

• Like 1